Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fans Forum 19:02 - Jul 18 with 36685 viewsJames1980

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2023/july/fansforum_august2023/

3rd August 7pm for 7:30pm

This seems to have slipped under the message board radar

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Fans Forum on 16:38 - Aug 4 with 3133 viewsD_Alien

Fans Forum on 16:15 - Aug 4 by Brierls

There wasn't any awkwardness in posing the question. It was gleefully read from a script, including a quip about GD performing his own appraisal.

It wasn't a question asked with an expectation of getting a direct answer, TomRAFC has admitted as much above by saying he expected SG to talk about GD's contributions.

Let's be honest, it wasn't a question at all. It was a pre-planned performance.

I think you're mistaking nervousness for something which fits more closely with your idea of performative behaviour, which, let's be honest, is prone to misinterpretation so it's something i'm willing to make allowances for, both in the behaviour and the criticism of it

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Fans Forum on 17:02 - Aug 4 with 3008 viewsRodingdale

Fans Forum on 14:05 - Aug 4 by TomRAFC

As the person who asked the question, I'd agree with a fair amount of the criticism it's received. Although the upvote downvote was routine clumsiness on my part. I'm happy to name and shame myself without the need to communicate like that.

It wasn't a fun question for anyone concerned. It was an embarrassing situation and I certainly didn't enjoy asking the question. I think I used the phrase awkward but necessary when asking it, and I still feel that way. I've no regrets about raising the topic. During the club's recent difficulties, the day to day role of running the club has rested with George. At a time when the board is receiving a lot of flack for operational issues at the club, it genuinely feels relevant to me for him to be brought into that discussion.

I certainly did interrupt him, which was very uncouth of me, but given he started to discuss things like picking teams, which wasn't what I asked, I felt that awkward but necessary feeling again to bring it back to topic.

I appreciated Simon's response, although I actually expected him to say something in support of George's contributions. I didn't personally think it was unanswerable, although I can see why others might.

Anyone who knows me in real life will be well aware that I'm hardly a beacon of sensibility. The topic and the way I went about it might be seen as embarrassing or pathetic by some, fair enough, but the question was entirely genuine.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2023 14:07]

I appreciated the question, because it aimed to call to account the performance of the club in its off the field activities. Was the question clumsily worded, maybe, but the thrust was, are we doing all we can to get the most out of our commercial activities. Given this forum has highlighted countless errors and missed opportunities it’s pretty clear that we are not. Yet the chairman himself had said it was “impossible” to improve our financial bottom line. I challenge that, between the bar manager and whoever is responsible for communications disagree on opening times, we have acres of roof space yet we haven’t explored solar panels as pointed out today. Well done Tom for having the balls to challenge, challenge is a part of strong governance, unfortunately the Trust is not providing challenge but is acquiescent to power. Sarsfield is the one who raised the temperature in the room, his performance was one of a man who didn’t want to be there and resented being held to account. Someone sniggering in a large gathering is someone to be ignored, not confronted unless your the sort of person that has a problem with the way someone looks at them.

Being on the board of Rochdale Association Football Club is an honour, one which commands some respect, but one with responsibility and is not beyond criticism. The panel failed to understand the thrust of the question because they do not listen. Their lives would be so much easier if they listened and demonstrated they listened by communicating empathetically with their customers and supporters.

George is clearly a person of integrity and quite what JS was driving at talking about his salary I’ve no idea. I actually would prefer George as CEO, I think he listens, but is currently run ragged by the bandwidth he’s got to deal with.

Good question Tom, badly handled by the panel.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2023 17:33]
Fans Forum on 17:24 - Aug 4 with 2909 views442Dale

One thing that never came up last night, or recently actually, was there ever any detail around how much we might have got from the Ethan Brierley deal which may have helped with cash flow now and in the future?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Fans Forum on 17:34 - Aug 4 with 2856 viewsDaleFan7

I might have missed it as I only watched the last 45 mins but was the legality of the EGM questioned at all given some shareholders hadn't received notice or is all of that sorted now?
Fans Forum on 17:45 - Aug 4 with 2813 viewsD_Alien

Fans Forum on 17:34 - Aug 4 by DaleFan7

I might have missed it as I only watched the last 45 mins but was the legality of the EGM questioned at all given some shareholders hadn't received notice or is all of that sorted now?

Yes it was questioned, or at least, the potential for the legality of the EGM to be challenged on that basis
[Post edited 4 Aug 2023 17:49]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Fans Forum on 18:08 - Aug 4 with 2735 viewsnordenblue

Fans Forum on 17:02 - Aug 4 by Rodingdale

I appreciated the question, because it aimed to call to account the performance of the club in its off the field activities. Was the question clumsily worded, maybe, but the thrust was, are we doing all we can to get the most out of our commercial activities. Given this forum has highlighted countless errors and missed opportunities it’s pretty clear that we are not. Yet the chairman himself had said it was “impossible” to improve our financial bottom line. I challenge that, between the bar manager and whoever is responsible for communications disagree on opening times, we have acres of roof space yet we haven’t explored solar panels as pointed out today. Well done Tom for having the balls to challenge, challenge is a part of strong governance, unfortunately the Trust is not providing challenge but is acquiescent to power. Sarsfield is the one who raised the temperature in the room, his performance was one of a man who didn’t want to be there and resented being held to account. Someone sniggering in a large gathering is someone to be ignored, not confronted unless your the sort of person that has a problem with the way someone looks at them.

Being on the board of Rochdale Association Football Club is an honour, one which commands some respect, but one with responsibility and is not beyond criticism. The panel failed to understand the thrust of the question because they do not listen. Their lives would be so much easier if they listened and demonstrated they listened by communicating empathetically with their customers and supporters.

George is clearly a person of integrity and quite what JS was driving at talking about his salary I’ve no idea. I actually would prefer George as CEO, I think he listens, but is currently run ragged by the bandwidth he’s got to deal with.

Good question Tom, badly handled by the panel.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2023 17:33]

I agree with this, one thing that I didn't feel got enough of an answer was the absolutely horrific communication or lack of it for months and months on end, it got kind of brushed over any time it was mentioned. Well done Tom on bringing a tough subject to the board, how people handle both the question and answer is open to personal opinion anyway.
Quite a good night all round and a fair few things cleared up
Fans Forum on 18:29 - Aug 4 with 2662 viewsBrierls

On the positive side, I don’t think we’ve ever had a manager speak as well as Jimmy McNulty.

If he manages to get his vision across to the players as well as he got it across to the fans last night, we’ll be in for a promising season.

I’m actually excited to see what tomorrow brings!
Fans Forum on 18:30 - Aug 4 with 2657 viewsThreeLions

Fans Forum on 13:33 - Aug 4 by frenzied

Jimmy Mac had spoken several times about behaviours and attitudes.

As a senior representative of any organisation you should be able to behave better than Mr S did..at an open forum ..behind closed doors..fine.

All I saw was somebody take somebody to task. Going looking for trouble usually means you won't like what you find. The nicey nicey approach isn't always the best way to approach stupidness.
Login to get fewer ads

Fans Forum on 18:43 - Aug 4 with 2601 viewsfrenzied

Fans Forum on 18:29 - Aug 4 by Brierls

On the positive side, I don’t think we’ve ever had a manager speak as well as Jimmy McNulty.

If he manages to get his vision across to the players as well as he got it across to the fans last night, we’ll be in for a promising season.

Quite agree with that.

Let’s hope this new team have the talent to deliver.

As Jim eluded to last night a few injuries or suspensions and we are scratching around for options.

It’s poss the thinnest squad I can recall Dale starting with

Being an ex Dale player may give Jim some extra time if things go pear shaped within the first 10 games
Fans Forum on 19:22 - Aug 4 with 2508 viewsPorlicks

Fans Forum on 18:43 - Aug 4 by frenzied

Quite agree with that.

Let’s hope this new team have the talent to deliver.

As Jim eluded to last night a few injuries or suspensions and we are scratching around for options.

It’s poss the thinnest squad I can recall Dale starting with

Being an ex Dale player may give Jim some extra time if things go pear shaped within the first 10 games

Jim McNulty isn't getting fired even if we lose our first ten games.

Who are YOU with?

Fans Forum on 19:32 - Aug 4 with 2477 viewsDorkingDale

Fans Forum on 09:01 - Aug 4 by HullDale

from the Youtube video (1:49:14 to 1:50:20)

Electric from £47K annually to £175K
Gas from £14K annually to £40K

(figures don't include the Ratcliffe)

Unbelievable.....how can you plan for that?
Fans Forum on 19:37 - Aug 4 with 2460 viewsTalkingSutty

Fans Forum on 18:29 - Aug 4 by Brierls

Yes, that's something we can agree on. He wouldn't have been my first choice as manager but he speaks the same language as the fans. I'm praying we get off to a solid start and impose ourselves on the opposition rather than worrying about them.
Fans Forum on 19:44 - Aug 4 with 2424 views442Dale

Fans Forum on 19:32 - Aug 4 by DorkingDale

It was a crazy increase. However, some individual householders saw similar percentage increases and we all knew it was coming last year.

As much as the board deserve credit for their financial contributions so far and proposed contributions going forward, there’s little doubt that they really aren’t very good at running a football club, especially when it comes to giving fans an understanding of where their club stands. The evidence is there.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2023 19:47]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Fans Forum on 22:18 - Aug 5 with 1911 viewsJames1980

After today I wish I had asked on Thursday if when deciding on whether to make subs finances are taken into consideration?

Fans Forum on 09:39 - Aug 6 with 1755 viewselectricblue

Fans Forum on 19:32 - Aug 4 by DorkingDale

That increase is sjocking and crippling

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Fans Forum on 08:19 - Aug 7 with 1470 viewsJames1980

Surprised no one asked about Lotto/Goldbond on Thursday.

Fans Forum on 10:35 - Aug 7 with 1329 viewswheniwasyourage

To be honest, I tuned out after 10 minutes. All I heard was a diatribe of clichés from McNulty, who has the gravitas and charisma of a small parish choir master - he doesn’t even get the ‘geography teacher’ status. In addition, after watching the Ebbsfleet match, I have concluded that nothing has changed. Teams just seem to hold us at arm’s length then score a goal - it’s like a practice match for them. Finally, a lot of the players seem to say they really enjoy playing for ‘McNulty football’, but no one mentions WORK, passion, controlled aggression, etc. As the Royal Navy says… McNulty is WAFU (Wet and f’ing useless), roll on my 22.
Fans Forum on 11:16 - Aug 7 with 1254 viewsEllGazzell

Fans Forum on 10:35 - Aug 7 by wheniwasyourage

To be honest, I tuned out after 10 minutes. All I heard was a diatribe of clichés from McNulty, who has the gravitas and charisma of a small parish choir master - he doesn’t even get the ‘geography teacher’ status. In addition, after watching the Ebbsfleet match, I have concluded that nothing has changed. Teams just seem to hold us at arm’s length then score a goal - it’s like a practice match for them. Finally, a lot of the players seem to say they really enjoy playing for ‘McNulty football’, but no one mentions WORK, passion, controlled aggression, etc. As the Royal Navy says… McNulty is WAFU (Wet and f’ing useless), roll on my 22.

I found another Royal Navy Saying on this website:

https://arkroyal.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24&

Between Gizzit and Goffer...

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

Fans Forum on 12:04 - Aug 7 with 1170 viewswheniwasyourage

time will tell my 'one eyed ship wreck'.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024