Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
10 games in 10:23 - Oct 3 with 2299 viewsboffley

It;s now 10 games into the season and that seems to be the figure quoted by many before which one shouldn't make judgements about the overall chances and performances of the manager and the squad. Well seeing as we have now reached the 10 mark for what it's worth here's my thoughts.

For a squad which bears little or no resemblance to last years I think they have done well to achieve 8th place so far. There are still areas which require a deal of work and effort but overall they have gelled remarkably well considering the short time they have been together. The most pleasing thing from my point of view is the "fight" they have shown when circumstances were against them. Coming back to win at Rotherham when they were behind and playing with 10 men for 60 minutes last night are 2 prime examples. Last year we would have just folded. Yes there is still much to be done to achieve the finished article but they have achieved much in a short space of time and the overall signs are promising.

As for John Coleman I think at this stage of the club's re-building and development he is just what we need. His teams may not produce (yet!) the quality flowing football seen under Hillcroft but hey -look what has happened in the last 12 months at RAFC. To have put together a team (virtually from scratch) which is now knocking at the door of the playoffs is an admiral achievement.
In the time he has been here he has certainly steadied the ship and rather than looking over our shoulders at the foot of the table I am confident we will be pressing at the top end this year.

So far so good. At least 7 or 8 out of 10
10 games in on 10:29 - Oct 3 with 2281 views442Dale

The results at Rotherham and Gillingham illustrate we can realistically expect to challenge, and as many would have hoped for a top half position going into the new year, it's a very solid start.

7/10.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

10 games in on 10:38 - Oct 3 with 2267 viewsMoonyDale

I will add my thoughts to this debate, after ten games there are pleasing aspects of the squad we have. There are also a couple of negatives, we show some fight which was sorely missing last season and the players certainly know how to put a shift in. However at times we rely to much on Dele as our main outlet, Coleman's stubborn refusal to play with wingers also grates with me as at times we look far to narrow going through the middle all the time. We have a lack of confidence at home and I can't for the life of me think why, on paper our squad is as good as any in this division and as Coley himself said " They don't seem to realise how good they are" I haven't seen anything that has made me think we will struggle this year but at the same time I haven't seen anything to make me feel like we could stay in the top half, mid table is where I see us come seasons end. I am still not excited by what I am seeing on the pitch, but picking up points when not at your best is no bad thing and long may that continue..

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

10 games in on 11:43 - Oct 3 with 2221 viewsfitzochris

I actually think last night would have been a game we'd have lost at the start of this season, never mind last. The last five games have really seen JC's team click.

Still, for me at least, I think the squad lacks the required depth to match our ultimate ambition. Injuries and suspensions will start to kick in and they will be felt. It would be nice to bring players in on loan out of choice rather than necessity but, either way, loanees will be needed this season to carry us forward. I don't know what options are open to JC in January either, but hopefully he will be able to do something if he needs to.

My main concern, from the games I've seen at any rate, is our reliance on the bold Dele. He was clearly brought in as a replacement for JLAA (how good it would be if we could have kept hold of him) but he isn't as young or mobile as JLAA and therefore will surely burn out before too long. By all accounts, he was dead on his feet by the final whistle last night. It would be nice to bring in a similar player to give him a break, if indeed this is the way we are going to continue to play. I'll not get into the wingers debate now.

Overall, ten games in, I'm satisfied with the players we have and that JC is the right man for the job. He, and the players, all have conviction - and a few have the ability to play higher than this level. It's a good mix, but it just needs a bit more flour to stop it breaking up too early.

Up the Dale.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

10 games in on 12:00 - Oct 3 with 2184 viewsDaleAwaydayBot

lets see if results stay the same 20 games in

After 3457 forum posts, 11 news comments & 1 match report....The Rochdale Information Robot were Born!!!

10 games in on 14:21 - Oct 3 with 2073 viewspl56

10 games in on 11:43 - Oct 3 by fitzochris

I actually think last night would have been a game we'd have lost at the start of this season, never mind last. The last five games have really seen JC's team click.

Still, for me at least, I think the squad lacks the required depth to match our ultimate ambition. Injuries and suspensions will start to kick in and they will be felt. It would be nice to bring players in on loan out of choice rather than necessity but, either way, loanees will be needed this season to carry us forward. I don't know what options are open to JC in January either, but hopefully he will be able to do something if he needs to.

My main concern, from the games I've seen at any rate, is our reliance on the bold Dele. He was clearly brought in as a replacement for JLAA (how good it would be if we could have kept hold of him) but he isn't as young or mobile as JLAA and therefore will surely burn out before too long. By all accounts, he was dead on his feet by the final whistle last night. It would be nice to bring in a similar player to give him a break, if indeed this is the way we are going to continue to play. I'll not get into the wingers debate now.

Overall, ten games in, I'm satisfied with the players we have and that JC is the right man for the job. He, and the players, all have conviction - and a few have the ability to play higher than this level. It's a good mix, but it just needs a bit more flour to stop it breaking up too early.

Up the Dale.

Good post , that .

The lack of depth remains an issue for me too ; the defence is one area where we look well served from the rebuilding process , and I'm really pleased with the way the youngsters have gelled there . The midfield does rely too heavily for me on Tutte and Kennedy , and I don't really see the point of Craney , and to some extent Putterill , remaining on non-contract terms . Is it a means of filling places on the cheap with the budget spent ? As documented elsewhere , we don't really have midfield tactical options , with no pace or width on offer in reserve .

Up front I'm happy to have been proved wrong by DA , but I still see him as a short term , 1 year solution , and hope and expect come January at the very latest , we have younger , more long term options in mind , probably utilising the loan market . Otherwise we seem to have options in that area , although I struggle to see the value just now of Curran - that feels like a wate of a wage presently .

Given those reservations , I am very happy with the season's start and certainly feel we are once more moving in the right direction .

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024