Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? 16:34 - Jan 15 with 3484 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

As it is 13 months since Steve Eyre was sacked and next week will have seen John Coleman in charge for 12 months, when will it stop becoming SE fault and becomes JC's?

Rather the blanket insult that he only managed 12 year old kids (which was untrue) he talked rubbish etc (most managers do tbh as they have an agenda), which manager could have done much better after losing Dawson, Wiseman, Done and O'Grady and taking charge in the middle of June and litterally having a fortnight to get his team together and not having 1 transfer window.

SE recruited Grimes and Tutte who are for a couple of weeks anyway two of the 3 saleable assets we have.

Jake Kean started in the Chamionship last week, Dave Lucas was sighned for Birmingham after he was released.

Steve Darby a decent signing on loan and doing well at Bradford.

Trotman a signing that we all thought should be a good one, but shipped out and the wage off the books when he proved not to be.

Dean Holden, i'd have him back tomorrow, played 20+ Lge 1 games this season.

Re-signed Gary Jones.

Wasn't given money to replace COG.

Brought in potentially good loan signings with Bunn, Eccleston and Ball.

Yes there were mistakes Pim, Bergkamp, The winger who never played.

So looking at the above, has JC been given an easy ride as he wasnt blamed for relegation, even though he had 18 ish games to turn it around?

With the squad JC inherited and with his recruitment/retained list how much can we still blame SE for.

JC kept faith with Dave Lucas for to long last season as he has with Josh (who I do think will come good) this season.

Released Bob Holness and Dean Holden, who we havent as yet improved on.

Fallen out and released Gary Jones.

Paid money for Georgeous and for Gornell who we have the services for of 4 months.

Brought in good signings of Grant and Kevin Long.

Paid wages for Putterill and Cainey for 6 months for 3 hours of football.

Playen the undroppable Phil Edwards in 5 different positions.

Refused to recruit any other winger than Sean McConville.

So on the above info and I do believe that they are all facts and please add any that my aging memory has left out do you think its time to stop blaming Steve Eyre for our current position?

With the horrible rabble we have become with no discipline, no plan B and making head lines for the wrong reason, do you think this is the reason many fans are giving up watching in there droves? If so would you go for the inexperience of say BBM/Ray Mathias type mentor build a team of young honest lads giving their all with a spinkling of good honest stalwarts to bring them on?

It may mean bottom half finishes for a while, but is it time to reset the 7 year plan? As looking at the team that played against Yeovil in SE's last match then look at our current team without (potentially)JK/Tutte and Grimes, I am not sure we can carry on reducing our 'stock' for two more transfer windows.

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 16:47 - Jan 15 with 2427 viewssomdale

Eyre shouldn't have been sacked, getting him in wasn't the right decision, but getting rid of so quick was an even bigger mistake. Any manager who came in after hillcroft was put in a very difficult situation.
Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 17:06 - Jan 15 with 2382 viewsToffeemanc

After reading the original post it seems to me we were better off last season than this and the rubbish we are seeing on the pitch would back that up.

I do think that the damage done by Eyre was probably too much for Coleman to rectify and not having a transfer window to operate in last season I didn't blame him one bit for the relegation. I do however believe you can blame him for everything from the beginning of this season as these are Colemans players and what we are seeing on the pitch, the poor football and ill discipline are all down to him.

It seems very clear to me know that Coleman was strictly a financial choice by the board and not a footballing one. The sooner he is gone the better for the club as a whole.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 17:12 - Jan 15 with 2352 viewsSuddenLad

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 16:47 - Jan 15 by somdale

Eyre shouldn't have been sacked, getting him in wasn't the right decision, but getting rid of so quick was an even bigger mistake. Any manager who came in after hillcroft was put in a very difficult situation.

As will the next manager and the one after that. No-one who manages this club will get an easy ride unless and until they go some way to emulating what Keith Hill did. Those who were 'enjoying the ride' are anxious to repeat the experience and impatient to get going.

Rightly or wrongly, the tenure of Keith Hill will now be used as the yardstick by which subsequent Dale managers will be judged because Hillcroft showed what can be achieved by a Dale management team with limited funds.

His record will forever be used as a stick with which to beat future managers who will always be burdened with the success he brought.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 17:13 - Jan 15 with 2354 viewsphomem

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 16:47 - Jan 15 by somdale

Eyre should have been sacked... Earlier after Bradford cup game
Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 17:19 - Jan 15 with 2323 viewsColDale

Eyre should never have been appointed and was incredibly lucky to remain in charge as long as he did, and I think we'd mostly agree that Coleman was given an almost impossible job to keep Dale up last year.

That said, he's got his own squad now, and I don't think he could claim that he's not been backed by the board in bringing in who he wants, and at the very least we should be seeing green shoots of recovery right now. The fact form was better earlier in the season would suggest that we've lost our way somewhat, and it's up to the board to decide whether Coleman is capable of getting us back on track.
Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 17:27 - Jan 15 with 2300 viewsfunkkk

Don't go along with the idea that Coleman had an impossible job to keep us up last season. He had plenty of time to stamp his mark on the club.
Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 17:46 - Jan 15 with 2240 viewsDaleFan7

I'd much rather have last years squad that Eyre assembled than the one we have now. At least the football we played was half decent and we weren't a horrible and indisciplined team (apart from Trotman at Oldham). We were just out of our depth with a completely new squad last season.

This season, I don't enjoy watching us anymore. Coleman can't use the excuse of it's a new team, it isn't a lot of them have already played together or Coleman knows them.
Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 17:48 - Jan 15 with 2236 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 17:19 - Jan 15 by ColDale

Eyre should never have been appointed and was incredibly lucky to remain in charge as long as he did, and I think we'd mostly agree that Coleman was given an almost impossible job to keep Dale up last year.

That said, he's got his own squad now, and I don't think he could claim that he's not been backed by the board in bringing in who he wants, and at the very least we should be seeing green shoots of recovery right now. The fact form was better earlier in the season would suggest that we've lost our way somewhat, and it's up to the board to decide whether Coleman is capable of getting us back on track.

But the position we were in and if SE that bad, surely all that CB and JC had to do was better SE's return by 6 or 7 points.

I dont get the Bradford thing, though the game wasnt great we did have the better chances, their keeper was MOM and got beaten by a great strike.

Were Forest Green and FCUM not worse?

It cant have been easy for SE, was it two months before Frank Bunn came in, the only backroom staff was a physio and Chris Beech who as it turned out was very bitter towards Steve Eyre.

I just feel that SE never had a chance, the heart of the squad ripped out, all the backroom staff gone then selling COG and two weeks to get a side together after being left with 7? players.

I feel that if we had kept SE and even if we had gone down, there wouldn't be the appathy towards the horrible nasty club the JC has turned us in to.

Be interseting to do a man for man appraisal of our squad 12 months ago and now!

Hence my worry where we will be as a squad/team/club on the 1st Feb.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Login to get fewer ads

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 18:06 - Jan 15 with 2181 viewsTVOS1907

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 17:48 - Jan 15 by SteTsGoldenBoot

But the position we were in and if SE that bad, surely all that CB and JC had to do was better SE's return by 6 or 7 points.

I dont get the Bradford thing, though the game wasnt great we did have the better chances, their keeper was MOM and got beaten by a great strike.

It cant have been easy for SE, was it two months before Frank Bunn came in, the only backroom staff was a physio and Chris Beech who as it turned out was very bitter towards Steve Eyre.

I just feel that SE never had a chance, the heart of the squad ripped out, all the backroom staff gone then selling COG and two weeks to get a side together after being left with 7? players.

I feel that if we had kept SE and even if we had gone down, there wouldn't be the appathy towards the horrible nasty club the JC has turned us in to.

Be interseting to do a man for man appraisal of our squad 12 months ago and now!

Sorry Ste, but the bit about having only two weeks to get a squad together and not having a transfer window is nonsense.

He was appointed in mid-June, the season started in mid-August and the window closed almost three weeks after that.

How much longer did you want him to have?

Remember, he wanted to bring in Harrad and Kuqi, so was clearly backed by the board, to whatever limits they could stretch to.

The current malaise doesn't mean it was wrong to sack Eyre. The only mistake was it was six weeks too late.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 18:06 - Jan 15 with 2180 viewsBirchy915

In hindsight Eyre was probably not the man we should have appointed, even though at the time I was very excited and he talked a good talk, he wasn't what we were expecting, we all thought this City youth manager was going to take up where Hill left off and while we might have accepted a mid table finish after our record season, we certainly didn't expect to be in the bottom 4.
Should we have sacked Eyre? Not on your life, I didn't want him sacked then and I would happily have him back now, he was a manager with ambition, connections and the smarts to get things done, I think alot of his failure was down to circumstance and the aged pessimists that hound our club should be ashamed of how quickly they turned on him.
People are talking now about giving Coleman a chance to build, where was Eyre's chance? Not even a decent transfer window!

If Eyre's showing was enough to warrant the sack, then Coleman has earned it 3 fold! Right now I'd sooner have Beech back, at least he is one of ours with respect for the sport and no bathtub bookie to drag along!

End of rant.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 18:11 - Jan 15 with 2159 viewselectricblue

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 17:48 - Jan 15 by SteTsGoldenBoot

But isnt that this board and all previous boards to do things on the cheap!.
Dont get me wrong i know finances dictate bt there as to be a time in every season where a certain type of player is required and wages to boot..
But dont tell that the club dont have emergency funds..

Well all go on about SE etc but Dunphy has to shoulder the blame aswell he hired the man,
I would have liked SE to have had a proper go but from day one it was obvious he was never going to cut it..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 18:14 - Jan 15 with 2149 views442Dale

Bunn was appointed on the 23rd June.

Just because we got rid of good players like COG and Dawson doesn't mean Eyre couldn't recruit more wisely than Trotman, Twaddle and MBH. Or constantly sign strikers who were similar Grimes/Ball/Bunn. He had far more than a fortnight to get a squad together too. The club failed to replace COG, despite the fact he was always going to be gone when linked with Sheff Wed before we played them (6th August, window closed 31st) but as pointed out Eyre did make some decent signings, but they were outweighed by poor or pointless ones (Bunn and Eccleston included). Let's not forget stories on here about fallouts and rows with fans after games too, it certainly wasn't a great club to follow back then either.

Don't see why we need compare with Coleman, two separate subjects and eras that might as well be separated by six months as six weeks.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 18:16 - Jan 15 with 2135 viewssweetcorn

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 18:06 - Jan 15 by Birchy915

In hindsight Eyre was probably not the man we should have appointed, even though at the time I was very excited and he talked a good talk, he wasn't what we were expecting, we all thought this City youth manager was going to take up where Hill left off and while we might have accepted a mid table finish after our record season, we certainly didn't expect to be in the bottom 4.
Should we have sacked Eyre? Not on your life, I didn't want him sacked then and I would happily have him back now, he was a manager with ambition, connections and the smarts to get things done, I think alot of his failure was down to circumstance and the aged pessimists that hound our club should be ashamed of how quickly they turned on him.
People are talking now about giving Coleman a chance to build, where was Eyre's chance? Not even a decent transfer window!

If Eyre's showing was enough to warrant the sack, then Coleman has earned it 3 fold! Right now I'd sooner have Beech back, at least he is one of ours with respect for the sport and no bathtub bookie to drag along!

End of rant.

the part about eyre being ambitious, well connected and the smarts to get things done. I'm sure Coleman is ambitious, as is every manager who we will have appointed, we wouldn't want them otherwise, can you imagine hiring a manager who says he wants to turn rochdale into a steady mid table league two club and stay here for the rest of his career, why would anyone hire that? Well connected? on what evidence, all he seemed to be able to recruit were city players and tended to be bad ones at that, we also got the dross from most other clubs such as barnes-homer, bergkamp and balkestein. to be so well connected, they didn't treat him to any good players. And the smart to get things done, why didn't he get things done that season then? we lost to the 3rd worst team in the football league in the fa cup and were going down without a fight and no real signs of a turn around. Eyre was horrendous and was sacked too late.

"Wasn't given money to replace COG. "
SteT'sGoldenboot this is nonsense, he was given money to spend and attempted to do so on players such as ball, kuqi and harrad, but failed to sign any of the 3, after those three he had no other options and said he couldn't find a player worth spending the money on.

EDIT: The part about having money to spend was confirmed by Eyre himself at Rochdale cricket club where he was a guest speaker at an event.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 18:23 - Jan 15 with 2111 viewsBigDaveMyCock

I'm not sure that SteT is stating that Steve Eyre should have been retained (I could be wrong here). I understood his point to be that we can no longer blame Steve Eyre for our current situation. The ball is now firmly in Coleman's court. Coleman's failings are now equal to, if not worse than, Eyre's failings. His point is not to champion Eyre, but to say that our current situation can't be blamed on Eyre. That's how I understood it anyway.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 18:27 - Jan 15 with 2091 viewssweetcorn

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 18:23 - Jan 15 by BigDaveMyCock

I'm not sure that SteT is stating that Steve Eyre should have been retained (I could be wrong here). I understood his point to be that we can no longer blame Steve Eyre for our current situation. The ball is now firmly in Coleman's court. Coleman's failings are now equal to, if not worse than, Eyre's failings. His point is not to champion Eyre, but to say that our current situation can't be blamed on Eyre. That's how I understood it anyway.

I don't think anyone is blaming eyre? I'm certainly not anyway. Eyre started the slide and Coleman has been unable to stop it with an overhaul of players. The new team brings about a new era and one which has been almost equally as miserable, hopefully he'll turn it around, but the lack of signings is another worry for me.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 18:30 - Jan 15 with 2078 views442Dale

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 18:23 - Jan 15 by BigDaveMyCock

Possibly. But we might as well use any previous manager as an example.

eg. The atmosphere around the club now reminds me of the Barrow era, not that I'm trying to compare the two managers.

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 18:34 - Jan 15 with 2069 viewsdingdangblue

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 17:06 - Jan 15 by Toffeemanc

After reading the original post it seems to me we were better off last season than this and the rubbish we are seeing on the pitch would back that up.

I do think that the damage done by Eyre was probably too much for Coleman to rectify and not having a transfer window to operate in last season I didn't blame him one bit for the relegation. I do however believe you can blame him for everything from the beginning of this season as these are Colemans players and what we are seeing on the pitch, the poor football and ill discipline are all down to him.

It seems very clear to me know that Coleman was strictly a financial choice by the board and not a footballing one. The sooner he is gone the better for the club as a whole.

I'm sorry but to say we are worse off now than last season is crazy - we got relegated with 38pts - we currently have 36pts with 18 games left.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 18:55 - Jan 15 with 2039 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 18:06 - Jan 15 by TVOS1907

Sorry Ste, but the bit about having only two weeks to get a squad together and not having a transfer window is nonsense.

He was appointed in mid-June, the season started in mid-August and the window closed almost three weeks after that.

How much longer did you want him to have?

Remember, he wanted to bring in Harrad and Kuqi, so was clearly backed by the board, to whatever limits they could stretch to.

The current malaise doesn't mean it was wrong to sack Eyre. The only mistake was it was six weeks too late.

"Remember, he wanted to bring in Harrad and Kuqi, so was clearly backed by the board, to whatever limits they could stretch to."

But neither signed, so perhaps wasnt backed to the extent that we signed the players - Hence not backed by the board, hence not really an arguement?

JC has had 3/4/5 months to decide who he wanted to sign in the transfer window, have we signed anyone yet?

SE had 7 players, lost JT and BBM very early on i seam to recall?

So if JC cant sign one as its difficult, surely you have to cut SE the same slack when needing to sign 7/8 to be able to even start pre-season with? Or treat JC with the same contempt as SE?

What were the stats for our 3 managers last season out of interest TVOS?

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 18:57 - Jan 15 with 2035 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 18:06 - Jan 15 by Birchy915

End of rant.

A very fair post!

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 19:07 - Jan 15 with 2006 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 18:14 - Jan 15 by 442Dale

Bunn was appointed on the 23rd June.

Just because we got rid of good players like COG and Dawson doesn't mean Eyre couldn't recruit more wisely than Trotman, Twaddle and MBH. Or constantly sign strikers who were similar Grimes/Ball/Bunn. He had far more than a fortnight to get a squad together too. The club failed to replace COG, despite the fact he was always going to be gone when linked with Sheff Wed before we played them (6th August, window closed 31st) but as pointed out Eyre did make some decent signings, but they were outweighed by poor or pointless ones (Bunn and Eccleston included). Let's not forget stories on here about fallouts and rows with fans after games too, it certainly wasn't a great club to follow back then either.

Don't see why we need compare with Coleman, two separate subjects and eras that might as well be separated by six months as six weeks.

I was just looking at our squad when SE left and what it is likely to be at the end of the transfer window, which I would imagine JC will oversea. Hence the comparison.

The fall out with players I cant comment on as I dont know, but that has remained and much more news of it has found its way onto this board.

The arguements with fans I dont recall and tbf to SE he has always been very complimentry and dignified about the club, fans and chairman when i've heard him on the radio, so i'd doubt that, but what do I know.

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 19:07 - Jan 15 with 2003 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 18:27 - Jan 15 by sweetcorn

I don't think anyone is blaming eyre? I'm certainly not anyway. Eyre started the slide and Coleman has been unable to stop it with an overhaul of players. The new team brings about a new era and one which has been almost equally as miserable, hopefully he'll turn it around, but the lack of signings is another worry for me.

In response to yourself and 442.

I sort of agree with the ultimate point that SteT made - about our current situation being solely down to Coleman - but I disagree with the overly positive spin on the Eyre reign. It did look a bit like he was championing Eyre.

I'm not saying that people are blaming Eyre, but there is a school of thought, of which I was a member, that posited that Coleman had very much a 'clearing-up' excercise after Eyre and that it was always going to be a more difficult job because of that. I agree with Col, in that, I understood and agreed with Coleman's transfer policy at the start of the season. The problem is that it has since changed, or revealed itself, from a players he trusts stategy to actually a strategy that favours these ex-players over other players in or outside of the club and not for meritocratic reasons. Cavanagh (no matter how well he has played of late) has not been treated the same as BBM or Kennedy. Mcconville etc etc.

Thus, I suppose it was aimed at me really. I used to think Eyre was, in some way, partly responsible. I disagree, however, with talking Eyre up.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 19:23 - Jan 15 with 1959 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 19:07 - Jan 15 by BigDaveMyCock

In response to yourself and 442.

I sort of agree with the ultimate point that SteT made - about our current situation being solely down to Coleman - but I disagree with the overly positive spin on the Eyre reign. It did look a bit like he was championing Eyre.

I'm not saying that people are blaming Eyre, but there is a school of thought, of which I was a member, that posited that Coleman had very much a 'clearing-up' excercise after Eyre and that it was always going to be a more difficult job because of that. I agree with Col, in that, I understood and agreed with Coleman's transfer policy at the start of the season. The problem is that it has since changed, or revealed itself, from a players he trusts stategy to actually a strategy that favours these ex-players over other players in or outside of the club and not for meritocratic reasons. Cavanagh (no matter how well he has played of late) has not been treated the same as BBM or Kennedy. Mcconville etc etc.

Thus, I suppose it was aimed at me really. I used to think Eyre was, in some way, partly responsible. I disagree, however, with talking Eyre up.

My thoughts sort of split in two really, the main one being around the squad of players JC actually had when he walked through the door and how relegation was firmly planted at SE door.

I dont think we won away or a mid week match under JC last year.

I am also alarmed at the reduction in value/stock of our squad, so much so that if JC traded our current squad for the one he took over, i'd be quite happy!

Rather than Championing SE, or coarse he made mistakes, i'm not saying everything was rosey, but if he had remained in charge would we be in any worse a position?

We probably would have had 150K more in the bank due to not paying SE/Accy Compo and certainly not being labelled as bullies and our reputation in tatters for wrecking another clubs anti-racism day!

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 19:28 - Jan 15 with 1942 viewsD_Alien

When Coleman took over, he began with a coruscating victory over bury. IMO avoiding relegation was a real possibility, for someone with real managerial acumen and perhaps a bit of luck. The squad he inherited wasn't short of talent, it just needed organising - something Eyre signally failed to do, hence his merited departure.

Instead, we finished rock bottom. OK, so onto the close season and the opportunity for Coleman to show us what he could do. Funds, though tighter, were still available. I guess midtable at this stage of the season wouldn't have been seen as failure, providing he looked as if he was building something. The only thing he's achieved IMO is to alienate a huge proportion of the Dale faithful, beyond the likes of Barrow and Buckley.

He's had weeks, nay months, to search out potential recruits during this transfer window, yet he doesn't seem to be able to see beyond the end of his accent, if that isn't twisting a metaphor too far! He may yet surprise us, but its mid-January and as the first real freeze of winter gnaws at our bones, the chill is deepened by the inglorious depths to which the behaviour of his players have sunk. With one or two honourable exceptions, they are His players, but they're not OURS.

Long live the Dale; the shorter Coleman's tenure the better.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 19:31 - Jan 15 with 1928 views442Dale

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 19:07 - Jan 15 by SteTsGoldenBoot

I was just looking at our squad when SE left and what it is likely to be at the end of the transfer window, which I would imagine JC will oversea. Hence the comparison.

The fall out with players I cant comment on as I dont know, but that has remained and much more news of it has found its way onto this board.

The arguements with fans I dont recall and tbf to SE he has always been very complimentry and dignified about the club, fans and chairman when i've heard him on the radio, so i'd doubt that, but what do I know.

I think the point is, it's possible to go back on here to threads from way back when that indicate that the fanbase was equally unhappy. Page 212 for example. (it's good fun to change the page number at the end of the url address to something random for a glimpse of Dale history btw! The great L1 season, Hill leaving it's all there!)

But as mentioned, it's not really worth linking Eyre to Coleman or vice versa anymore, it's what happens to progress the club.

Eyre/Coleman - Recruitment and what next? on 19:37 - Jan 15 with 1904 viewsChaffRAFC

Steve Eyre was a nice guy but it didn't work and in hindsight, I think he should have been sacked after that Bradford game, then Beech could have had a couple of weeks in temporary charge before Coleman came in with a full transfer window to work with and we may have had a chance of staying up. As it turns out, Eyre was sacked too late, Beech was given far too long and was as bad, if not worse than Eyre and by the time Coleman came in, it was near enough mission impossible to keep us up.

I don't think Eyre was the right appointment at the time for us. We needed an experienced head in charge, not somebody who had no experience of working with a first team. I remember calling for Iain Dowie and I reckon he'd have been a top appointment but Eyre we got and at the time, I was excited and behind but it became very apparent very quickly that it was the wrong move. Some of the signings on paper were very good and no, he wasn't helped by the fact Wiseman, Done and O'Grady had left but there were issues that weren't dealt with quickly enough. If I remember rightly, we had three goalkeepers on trial that summer, one is now at Blackpool, one is performing heroics for Bradford City and the other was Dave Lucas who we eventually signed after sending him away. It was only the week of the new season when Jake Kean was brought in and that must have been a struggle to settle into the team which was effectively a new defence. The lack of experience in the transfer market really hindered us and we saw 40 different players play for us that season I remember, mainly because of a shocking amount of loan players like Balkestein, MBH, Bergkamp, Benali, Bunn and Eccleston and signings like Jordan, Amankwaah and Twaddle etc. There was never any stability in the team.

Now I do agree that John Coleman is facing an uphill battle to improve us and a lot of why we're where we are is down to him and his stubbornness and lack of willingness to change things around and the club as a whole is pretty much on it's arse. I personally think that Chris Dunphy needs to get a grip of Coleman and tell him we won't accept the lack of discipline we're seeing at the moment. I think that side of our game is like having Steve Evans or even Don Revie in charge but without the results they tend to bring! That said, I still think that he has the ability to turn it round but I'm not sure he'll be allowed to and to be fair, I don't think that he could have many complaints if he found his P45 on this desk tomorrow morning.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, unfortunately though, it's pretty useless. It's not about what has been done, it's about what we do in the future, however near.

That said, I shall admit, it's becoming harder to see the same mistakes happening.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024