Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First band you saw live 20:35 - Jan 26 with 25338 viewsjoecooke

Saw this one on another forum and thought it was a belter.Got to be at a proper venue.

Mine was for my sins Haircut 100 around 82 at the Apollo .(free tickets obviously!)

Fortunately i managed to see The specials about 6 months later.

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

First band you saw live on 23:45 - Jul 18 with 2236 viewsdownunder

First band you saw live on 14:45 - Jul 17 by Salegraham

And the winner is, or is it. Any more oldies?

I will have a go, but I tell fibs.
The Hendersons, Dane st, Feb 14th 1843
First band you saw live on 00:26 - Jul 19 with 2225 viewsSandyman

First band you saw live on 23:45 - Jul 18 by downunder

I will have a go, but I tell fibs.
The Hendersons, Dane st, Feb 14th 1843

Great spot. Beatles fans will get it of course.

First band you saw live on 09:22 - Jul 19 with 2105 viewsdholdh

Collapsed Lung or maybe Orbital. Bangor Uni (N.Wales) 1995.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 9:25]
First band you saw live on 11:04 - Jul 19 with 2071 viewsAtThePeake

First band you saw live on 10:07 - Jul 16 by blackdogblue

Jillys downstairs, Fagins upstairs & then became Rockworld…

It’s now a Tesco Express 😢

Think it was called the Music Box for a short while just before it shut down too. Or at least part of it was.

Tangled up in blue.

First band you saw live on 11:04 - Jul 19 with 2071 viewsAtThePeake

First band you saw live on 17:22 - Jul 14 by finberty

OK - to subvert the thread a little, how about those you'd rather not own up to?

Apart from the fact you might rather not own up to anything, I'm boldly going in with:

S-Club Juniors followed by S-Club, Manchester Arena, around 2007. Long night.

[Reasonable excuse - kids]

The Courteeners.

No reasonable excuse, I just used to have terrible taste.

Tangled up in blue.

First band you saw live on 16:09 - Jul 19 with 1952 viewsBucketBstard

First band you saw live on 13:34 - Jul 15 by wimborne_dale

Siouxie and the Banshees
at Plymouth Elephant Fair in 1982

I did the Elephant Fair a couple of times, lovely spot down there St Germains I think. Saw The Cure one year and then The Fall the year after , remember Jimmy Pursey with a bongo band on stage getting really upset at everyone shouting " Bortstal Breakout" sure he said " I dont do that S2!t anymore LOL , sure Sham have done a few Rebellion gigs etc .
First band you saw live on 18:51 - Jul 19 with 1891 viewsDickydaler

First band you saw live on 13:47 - Jul 15 by DaleiLama

It has just occurred to me that I'm going to have to change my first gig - it was Deeply Vale, when Hillage/Gong were up there, which on Googling appears to be 1978, pre-dating my previous claim. It was a strange fest ...... in many ways a ground-breaker where punk featured during the day and rock at night. Considering the proliferation of liquid and solid recreational options, it was amazing the fans of each co-existed more or less peacefully. Hillage was flying in from somewhere (Paris?) and was late ..... didn't arrive until after midnight I don't think. Remember walking home to Cassy afterwards (on what felt like a 10m hike but was probably less) with the milkman just doing his rounds and I nicked a pinta from the back of the float, Kes-style, to fortify me for the last leg of the walk.

Blimey DL I could have joined you on the walk back to Cassy. I remember I had promised to do overtime at Dunlop the following day. Got home, had an hours sleep and then went in to do the overtime. I managed 2 hours overtime before I fell asleep and had to come home!
First band, I think, was either T-rex at belle Vue or Tractor at the Seven Stars who I thought were ace. But my first could well have been another band! Memory goes with age! My most embarrassing though, although not a band obviously, was definitely Alvin Stardust at Heywood Civic.
First band you saw live on 21:22 - Jul 19 with 1834 viewsroccydaleian

First band you saw live on 18:51 - Jul 19 by Dickydaler

Blimey DL I could have joined you on the walk back to Cassy. I remember I had promised to do overtime at Dunlop the following day. Got home, had an hours sleep and then went in to do the overtime. I managed 2 hours overtime before I fell asleep and had to come home!
First band, I think, was either T-rex at belle Vue or Tractor at the Seven Stars who I thought were ace. But my first could well have been another band! Memory goes with age! My most embarrassing though, although not a band obviously, was definitely Alvin Stardust at Heywood Civic.

I used to like Tractor, so do that make me an extractor fan?
Anyhow, Ian Dury and The Blockheads was the first band I saw, at Leeds Uni, basically a school trip. Our teacher who took us managed to get us backstage afterwards, met Ian Dury and he was a top guy tbf. Apparently caught him on a good day, because he could be a bit awkward sometimes.
Login to get fewer ads

First band you saw live on 21:45 - Jul 19 with 1819 viewsDaleiLama

First band you saw live on 18:51 - Jul 19 by Dickydaler

Small world Diver. I lived close to Dunlops and dad worked at Tweedales for a while. I was lucky - I hit the sack as soon as I got in (after a what time do you call this from mum)

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

First band you saw live on 20:02 - Jul 21 with 1683 viewsncfc_chalky

First band you saw live on 18:05 - Jul 14 by ncfc_chalky

Going the opposite way and I had tickets to see the Barenaked Ladies at Cambridge which I was hugely looking forward to but unfortunately it got cancelled due to the bug

Just had an email confirming that the gig has been rescheduled for 2022 and I would have had the tickets for four years by the time I see them,anybody else had tickets to see somebody longer?

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

First band you saw live on 20:09 - Jul 21 with 1672 viewsD_Alien

First band you saw live on 20:02 - Jul 21 by ncfc_chalky

Just had an email confirming that the gig has been rescheduled for 2022 and I would have had the tickets for four years by the time I see them,anybody else had tickets to see somebody longer?

I believe Long John Baldry was a tall lad

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

First band you saw live on 20:30 - Jul 21 with 1638 viewsncfc_chalky

First band you saw live on 20:09 - Jul 21 by D_Alien

I believe Long John Baldry was a tall lad

Aka Sugar Bear in Elton John's Someone Saved My Life Last Night.

First band you saw live on 20:35 - Jul 21 with 1636 viewsmingthemerciless

First band you saw live on 20:30 - Jul 21 by ncfc_chalky

Aka Sugar Bear in Elton John's Someone Saved My Life Last Night.

He played the Cubi-Klub in Rochdale several times back in the say.
First band you saw live on 16:24 - Jul 23 with 1514 viewsbrownale

First band you saw live on 20:35 - Jul 21 by mingthemerciless

He played the Cubi-Klub in Rochdale several times back in the say.

Liquid Gold Spotland Stadium around 1976.Class.
First band you saw live on 17:38 - Jul 23 with 1485 viewskel

Happy Mondays, BL9 weekender.
First band you saw live on 18:18 - Jul 23 with 1447 viewsmikehunt

First band you saw live on 16:09 - Jul 19 by BucketBstard

I did the Elephant Fair a couple of times, lovely spot down there St Germains I think. Saw The Cure one year and then The Fall the year after , remember Jimmy Pursey with a bongo band on stage getting really upset at everyone shouting " Bortstal Breakout" sure he said " I dont do that S2!t anymore LOL , sure Sham have done a few Rebellion gigs etc .

Saw Jimmy Pursey and Sham 69 doing all their hits at the Darwen weekender about three years ago. So not quite finished doing all that sh1t! (Followed by T’Pau of all people)

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

First band you saw live on 19:56 - Jul 23 with 1388 viewsforeverhopefulDale

First band you saw live on 18:18 - Jul 23 by mikehunt

Saw Jimmy Pursey and Sham 69 doing all their hits at the Darwen weekender about three years ago. So not quite finished doing all that sh1t! (Followed by T’Pau of all people)

"
I did the Elephant Fair a couple of times, lovely spot down there St Germains I think. Saw The Cure one year and then The Fall the year after , remember Jimmy Pursey with a bongo band on stage getting really upset at everyone shouting " Bortstal Breakout" sure he said " I dont do that S2!t anymore LOL , sure Sham have done a few Rebellion gigs etc ."

Sham were due to be one of the headline bands at this year's now cancelled, due to Covid , Rebellion. Still a chance there will be a smaller even taking place at the same venue, same time., but many of the acts are international acts, and so with possible Covid restrictions still in place they have cancelled the event.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

First band you saw live on 20:02 - Jul 23 with 1379 viewsforeverhopefulDale

First band you saw live on 19:56 - Jul 23 by foreverhopefulDale

"
I did the Elephant Fair a couple of times, lovely spot down there St Germains I think. Saw The Cure one year and then The Fall the year after , remember Jimmy Pursey with a bongo band on stage getting really upset at everyone shouting " Bortstal Breakout" sure he said " I dont do that S2!t anymore LOL , sure Sham have done a few Rebellion gigs etc ."

Sham were due to be one of the headline bands at this year's now cancelled, due to Covid , Rebellion. Still a chance there will be a smaller even taking place at the same venue, same time., but many of the acts are international acts, and so with possible Covid restrictions still in place they have cancelled the event.

Also Sham have a tour going on with some North West gigs. Pogoing away to Borstal Breakout was one of my first memories of live gigs, Sham being one of my first gigs at the Apollo in Manchester in 1979/80.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2021 20:02]

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

First band you saw live on 08:53 - Jul 24 with 1270 viewsAlexF

Wow, some fantastic memories in this thread. I suspect a few of these attendances were the work of the great Ronnie Todd, including my own, Ziggy Stardust at the Free Trade. It must have been quite a commitment to arrange those school trips, full marks to the guy, it set some of us on a certain path for life…
Regarding Dalei’s question on an Oulder Hill/Tractor link, I may recall it - Rick Milne, brother of Tractor frontman Jim went to that school. I dont recall Jim coming in to the school though, which is weird, because I was a Tractor fan. In fact it was a connection to Tractor’s drummer, Steve Clayton which got my first ‘band’ a playing spot at Deeply Vale, an enormously kind move by Steve as we were nowhere near good enough at the time. So supportive of him. My first ever recordings were done in the attic studio in Steve’s parents house in Heywood. Great days.
First band you saw live on 10:06 - Jul 24 with 1225 viewsmingthemerciless

First band you saw live on 08:53 - Jul 24 by AlexF

Wow, some fantastic memories in this thread. I suspect a few of these attendances were the work of the great Ronnie Todd, including my own, Ziggy Stardust at the Free Trade. It must have been quite a commitment to arrange those school trips, full marks to the guy, it set some of us on a certain path for life…
Regarding Dalei’s question on an Oulder Hill/Tractor link, I may recall it - Rick Milne, brother of Tractor frontman Jim went to that school. I dont recall Jim coming in to the school though, which is weird, because I was a Tractor fan. In fact it was a connection to Tractor’s drummer, Steve Clayton which got my first ‘band’ a playing spot at Deeply Vale, an enormously kind move by Steve as we were nowhere near good enough at the time. So supportive of him. My first ever recordings were done in the attic studio in Steve’s parents house in Heywood. Great days.

Jim Milne had a brother called Dave who taught CDT at Oulder Hill School for many years.
First band you saw live on 12:23 - Jul 24 with 1164 viewsDaleiLama

First band you saw live on 10:06 - Jul 24 by mingthemerciless

Jim Milne had a brother called Dave who taught CDT at Oulder Hill School for many years.

Absolutely outstanding detective work by Alex and Ming to put the pieces together to get to the answer.

Mr Milne (the teacher- never knew his first name) was indeed the 'missing link' in this and I'm sure Tractor came in to one of his classes to play. Would never have dredged that up without your collective help.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2021 12:24]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

First band you saw live on 14:10 - Jul 24 with 1114 viewsDickydaler

First band you saw live on 12:23 - Jul 24 by DaleiLama

Absolutely outstanding detective work by Alex and Ming to put the pieces together to get to the answer.

Mr Milne (the teacher- never knew his first name) was indeed the 'missing link' in this and I'm sure Tractor came in to one of his classes to play. Would never have dredged that up without your collective help.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2021 12:24]

Incidentally, Jim Milne went on to be a headteacher in Liverpool, I believe.
First band you saw live on 20:07 - Jul 29 with 917 viewsncfc_chalky

I was talking about music videos with someone yesterday and tried to remember one but it just wouldn't come to me,24 hrs later it's starting to piss me off

I've a feeling that it's by a 90's band and has an old working class bloke singing along to the song in a pub and it's shot in black n white,any ideas before I go mad?

First band you saw live on 20:16 - Jul 29 with 890 viewsjudd

First band you saw live on 20:07 - Jul 29 by ncfc_chalky

I was talking about music videos with someone yesterday and tried to remember one but it just wouldn't come to me,24 hrs later it's starting to piss me off

I've a feeling that it's by a 90's band and has an old working class bloke singing along to the song in a pub and it's shot in black n white,any ideas before I go mad?

Yes

Poll: What is it to be then?

First band you saw live on 20:18 - Jul 29 with 887 viewsncfc_chalky

First band you saw live on 20:16 - Jul 29 by judd

Yes

Aaannnd? 🙄

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024