Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. 20:42 - Apr 24 with 104960 viewsDale57

What things and places have a special place in your Rochdale childhood.........
Some of mine are
Brights nursery on whitwoth rd
Heybrook school
Howarth cross
Football and sports against other schools around Rochdale
Rochdale baths
ABC cinema
Holingworth lake
Fair on cattle market (now cop shop)
Ashy valley flats
Loads more.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 10:46 - Nov 16 with 7463 viewspioneer

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 03:25 - Nov 16 by kiwidale

did she catch you?... i was too fast for her

I had a few close shaves when I was selling programmes and reluctant to leave my post!
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:00 - Nov 16 with 7425 viewsmingthemerciless

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 08:23 - Nov 16 by soulboy

Do you mean the few stalls that were facing a toy shop which i think was called the model shop? I dont remember a record stall there, the only stall i remember was Save Records that was in the main open market before it moved to the new inside market.

There was a set of stairs coming down from the indoor market leading into the lower outdoor market. This record stall faced the stairs as you came down. It was near that Army Surplus store at the end of the Arcade, there was a jewellers on the opposite corner. I think they were linked with " Bradley's " and they were selling off records that hadn't sold in the main shop.

The coffee bar at the other end of that little arcade ( The Orchard ? ) was a haunt of some of the Dale players in those days after training, Jimmy Thompson in particular. I think they liked eyeing up the salesgirl in the women's clothes shop opposite ( Paige's ? ). She had the most enormous pair of boobs you ever saw.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:26 - Nov 26 with 7223 viewswroughtironron

"Stolen From Ivor" on Drake Street had "clearance" type clothing bins - as a schoolboy with limited means (extremely limited) I used to get the bus from Littleborough and root through them on a saturday, hoping to find a bargain in my size.
As a teenager I bought a "two-tone" suit (made to measure) from Burtons (near the ABC Cinema) and coupled with a Ben Sherman/Loafers, was "in with the in-crowd" (in my deluded mind anyway.....)
[Post edited 26 Nov 2017 20:27]
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:41 - Nov 26 with 7206 viewsseasidedale

the record stall at the bottom of the stairs was Bradleys, it tended to sell ex juke box records, (whatever happened to the main shop?), I remember doing saturday morning shops at Lennons on Yorkshire st, also Redmans deli, a big shop of its kind. A clothing shop I remember was Clive Harveys in the market arcade, it was expensive at the time. Cant remember the toy shop name but wasnt the model shop on cheetham street. The highland laddie and the bowling green where the trendy pubs in the mid seventies. I could go on,. Being an exile now make me yern all the more for the good old day (not the football)
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:19 - Nov 26 with 7176 viewsmingthemerciless

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:26 - Nov 26 by wroughtironron

"Stolen From Ivor" on Drake Street had "clearance" type clothing bins - as a schoolboy with limited means (extremely limited) I used to get the bus from Littleborough and root through them on a saturday, hoping to find a bargain in my size.
As a teenager I bought a "two-tone" suit (made to measure) from Burtons (near the ABC Cinema) and coupled with a Ben Sherman/Loafers, was "in with the in-crowd" (in my deluded mind anyway.....)
[Post edited 26 Nov 2017 20:27]

I got a similar suit from " Burtons " although I soon graduated to " Seniors " for my made to measure mod suits. A much better class of tailor. I did have one made at " Denis Hope " but I went back to " Seniors ". Lightweight suits a speciality, always with two pairs of trousers, they wore out so quickly.

There were tailors and men's clothing shops all over town then - Burtons, Denis Hope, Seniors , Clive Harvey, the one in The Walk ( Peter Pell ? ) another one half way up Yorkshire St , Hymie Showman at the top of Yorkshire St, Hyracan on Cheetham St, Tony Rudd on Whitworth Rd, Petrillo on Milnrow Rd, another one near Lovicks whose owner worked for Denis Hope at one time. I think that was John Carter.

If you didn't go out in a collar and tie, suited up , at night people thought you had two heads.

Now there's only Denis Hope left and blokes wear anything to go out in?
[Post edited 26 Nov 2017 22:42]
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:25 - Nov 27 with 7118 viewsjonesy

Think this is a really great thread. It ought to be lumped together into a true history of Rochdale life.
Brights nursery was mentioned. My Dad used to drive the van that carried the children. He supported dale for about 60 years. My cousin and I were taken to Spotland when little and used to run around the Pearl St stand between spectators legs on the gravel and wood. There was also a big drop at the back of the “kop” which was good to throw stones down.
Remember collecting wood out of the river for bonfire night.
Went to Heybrook school. Went to Grammar school. Anyone remember Bull Ramsey. Wish I’d gone back to thank him for teaching me. We always appreciate people when it’s too late to tell them. Especially parents! Getting a bit maudlin now!
Anyway good reading all the comments. Keep it up.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 06:43 - Nov 27 with 7066 views1mark1

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:25 - Nov 27 by jonesy

Think this is a really great thread. It ought to be lumped together into a true history of Rochdale life.
Brights nursery was mentioned. My Dad used to drive the van that carried the children. He supported dale for about 60 years. My cousin and I were taken to Spotland when little and used to run around the Pearl St stand between spectators legs on the gravel and wood. There was also a big drop at the back of the “kop” which was good to throw stones down.
Remember collecting wood out of the river for bonfire night.
Went to Heybrook school. Went to Grammar school. Anyone remember Bull Ramsey. Wish I’d gone back to thank him for teaching me. We always appreciate people when it’s too late to tell them. Especially parents! Getting a bit maudlin now!
Anyway good reading all the comments. Keep it up.

I remember Bulll Ramsey, when he taught at Baldy when it had become just a ordinary comprehensive school. He never taught me, but sadly he came over as a bully. Maybe he was a very good teacher as a younger man.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:23 - Nov 27 with 6973 viewsjonesy

Used to get everybody’s attention by smashing a metre rule down on the desk! Enjoyed learning physics with him but probably if you weren’t interested it wouldn’t be fun.

Also remember the black pea man coming down our street. Used to take out a jug that he would fill. Vinegar used to curdle it but it tasted good.

Remember walking back from cross country runs as everyone was going home!

My dad watched as a demolition “expert” on the Entwistle rd viaduct was hitting it just before it collapsed like a row of dominoes! He was the luckiest bloke in Rochdale.
Login to get fewer ads

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:03 - Nov 27 with 6956 viewssouthealingdale

Owd Betts
Bradleys Records + the record stall in the market (can't remember its name)
Being sent by my mam to get fish in the indoor market (bloke with white/grey hair used to serve - top bloke)
WHSmith entrance being down the back
How frustrating it was that the Roch was never more than a bit of a stream
Burneys - pies
Hills - newsagent on Tweedale Street
Finnertys on the walk
The shop half way up Drake Street that sold Lions Liquorice Tablets
The pool hall
The Chip Inn
Broadfield Park pond
Syke pond and the masses of frogspawn
Fairs down the bottom of manchester road (where boots warehouse ended up)
watching cricket at Rochdale
Going to the dale
Watching hornets at the Athletic Grounds (and Stock Cars)
ROchdale carnival - watching the floats
Woodcraft Folk - mam wouldn't let me join the scouts
ITs a Knockout at Carcraft up Smith Street (Stuart Hall)

I also have a memory of seeing Eddie Kidd jumping over cars at Broadfield park but might be mistaken on that one.

@upthedale on Twitter

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:46 - Nov 27 with 6908 views1mark1

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:03 - Nov 27 by southealingdale

Owd Betts
Bradleys Records + the record stall in the market (can't remember its name)
Being sent by my mam to get fish in the indoor market (bloke with white/grey hair used to serve - top bloke)
WHSmith entrance being down the back
How frustrating it was that the Roch was never more than a bit of a stream
Burneys - pies
Hills - newsagent on Tweedale Street
Finnertys on the walk
The shop half way up Drake Street that sold Lions Liquorice Tablets
The pool hall
The Chip Inn
Broadfield Park pond
Syke pond and the masses of frogspawn
Fairs down the bottom of manchester road (where boots warehouse ended up)
watching cricket at Rochdale
Going to the dale
Watching hornets at the Athletic Grounds (and Stock Cars)
ROchdale carnival - watching the floats
Woodcraft Folk - mam wouldn't let me join the scouts
ITs a Knockout at Carcraft up Smith Street (Stuart Hall)

I also have a memory of seeing Eddie Kidd jumping over cars at Broadfield park but might be mistaken on that one.

Save Records was the record stall. Cracking records stall,
Pub crawls, many to choose from around Rochdale, with mates from Rochdale
Pub crawls in Heywood, with mates from Rochdale, also from SEI at Times Mill, Heywood,
Brown Cow, Queens, Corporation, St Johns Tavern,
Nell Rackers
Bill Parry’s Lamplighters and Roubuck
Cricket at Dane Street, sometimes watching it from my Grandparents flat at College Bank,
Hornets at Athletc Grounds, never ever saw them once they left there,
Being taught PE, by Graham Starkie at Thornham,
Following Dale around the country and loving it all, despite us being amongst the worst of the lot,
Listening to Moggy belting out “give us a Rrrrr, “ etc. The Sandy was brilliant in the 70s and 80s,
Changing ends, between Sandy and Pearl Stree/ Cow Shed,
Being able to have a Pee and still watch the game, in the Cow Shed /PearlStreet corner toilets,
Sat on the hill watching the game, especially when nice weather,

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:05 - Nov 28 with 6815 viewswroughtironron

Paying sixpence in the Rochdale Baths cafe on a saturday morning for one slice of toast with butter on.
Drinking "underage" in the Slubbers Arms in the town centre
The Co-op on Drake Street, where I paid £2 15 shillings for a jumper, leaving me with no bus fare home to Littleborough (and a long walk)
Pasquale - the tailor on Halifax Road Heybrook, who used to make suits for Ken Dodd.
The Black Pea tent at the Rochdale Fair where you could get a mug of hot black peas and vinegar for sixpence
The Hornets shambles of a "ground" somehere along Kingsway
Unity Equipe motorcycles/parts at Castleton (especially the alloy Tritons)
Edgar Winter Band doing a gig at the back of Hollingworth Lake
The Hollingworth Lake Easter Fair - if you went just after the fair packed-up and left, you could find loads of coins in the car park gravel.
The Chambers (disco) in the Town Hall basement
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:55 - Nov 28 with 6769 viewsmingthemerciless

Hymie Showman also made suits for Ken Dodd and a few other show business stars, Morecambe and Wise, Tommy Cooper etc . He used to have signed photos in his shop window. He had a bit of an attitude problem unless you were loaded though. Best raincoat I ever had came from his shop. Made in Paris - £12 when I was on £5-5-0 a week as an apprentice engineer. My mum wasn't too impressed.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:15 - Nov 28 with 6758 viewsArthurDaley

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:55 - Nov 28 by mingthemerciless

Hymie Showman also made suits for Ken Dodd and a few other show business stars, Morecambe and Wise, Tommy Cooper etc . He used to have signed photos in his shop window. He had a bit of an attitude problem unless you were loaded though. Best raincoat I ever had came from his shop. Made in Paris - £12 when I was on £5-5-0 a week as an apprentice engineer. My mum wasn't too impressed.

Hymie Showman, owd fella used to go to him when he first opened. Then Hymie went all up market. So the owd fella ended up going to Diggle & Taylor a second hand clothes shop near the top of Yorkshire St. Think it was Taylors son who was a exotic vet, think he had his own programme on TV.
This cold weather reminds me of the cold walk to the bottom of the yard where the lavi was. Or use the guz under if you were in bed.
Paying the next door neighbour a shilling to use her bath on a Sunday night, then watching Sgt Bilco after on her TV.
Shorrocks top of Yorkshire street used to sell records and musical instruments. In them days you could go in a booth listen to a record, then tell the shop girl you didn't want to buy it.

A large VAT Dave

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:20 - Nov 28 with 6754 viewsD_Dale

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 06:43 - Nov 27 by 1mark1

I remember Bulll Ramsey, when he taught at Baldy when it had become just a ordinary comprehensive school. He never taught me, but sadly he came over as a bully. Maybe he was a very good teacher as a younger man.

I'd assumed the name 'Bull' hinted at 'bully'. Some of the c. 1960 teachers were alright - Mr Howarth, who taught chemistry, was the nephew of the Rochdale-born actor Jack Howarth, best known as Coronation Street's Albert Tatlock - but others had become parodies of themselves. 'Fred' the headmaster, five-foot-four tall but with the knack of looking down on the lankiest sixth former. 'Wally' Watkins in his mildewed gown. 'Fergie' Brown, 'Sid' Richardson, 'Sugar' Hedges ...
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 08:39 - Nov 29 with 6681 viewsmingthemerciless

I ended up having off the peg suits altered at " Tony Rudd " at the top of Whitworth Rd in the 1980's He told me he made a bomb off the navvies when they were building the local motorway links in the late 1960's. Guys would come into his shop for £40 made to measure suits. A month later they'd be back wearing the suit for work and wanting a new suit made !

The only guy I'd trust with my clothes now is " Haris " the tailor at the bottom of Whitehall St just off Yorkshire St. He's the real deal.

Where abouts was The Slubbers Arms ? The name rings a bell but I can't remember where it was.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2017 12:07]
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 15:06 - Nov 29 with 6591 viewswroughtironron

it was on Smith Street - demolished years ago
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:29 - Nov 29 with 6528 viewsmingthemerciless

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:15 - Nov 28 by ArthurDaley

Hymie Showman, owd fella used to go to him when he first opened. Then Hymie went all up market. So the owd fella ended up going to Diggle & Taylor a second hand clothes shop near the top of Yorkshire St. Think it was Taylors son who was a exotic vet, think he had his own programme on TV.
This cold weather reminds me of the cold walk to the bottom of the yard where the lavi was. Or use the guz under if you were in bed.
Paying the next door neighbour a shilling to use her bath on a Sunday night, then watching Sgt Bilco after on her TV.
Shorrocks top of Yorkshire street used to sell records and musical instruments. In them days you could go in a booth listen to a record, then tell the shop girl you didn't want to buy it.

Shorrocks also had shops in The Walk and on Drake St near the old ambulance station.

Talking of Drake St who remembers the old " Sports House " near what used to be the " Navigation Pub " ? We were playing on Firgrove one Saturday afternoon and one of us needed some new shin pads. So four of us lads go into the " Sports House ". One of our team was a kleptomaniac who you couldn't take anywhere. He had his kit in a duffle bag, the ones like a tube with a draw string around the top.

We got up to the counter and my pal asks to see the shin pads which in those days were all keep in drawers along the back wall. The old guy behind the counter turns around, gets his steps and starts to look for the shin pads. On the counter in total isolation is a fully pumped up football.

As soon as the old guy's back is turned and he's up his steps the klepto whips the ball off the counter and straight into his duffle bag ! We are all giving him daggers and whispering for him to return the ball. I want the ground to open up and swallow me.

When the old guy turns back around he just gives my pal the shin pads and takes his money. He either didn't notice the ball was missing or he decided discretion was the better part of valour ! We then beat a hasty retreat to Milnrow Rd for the bus to Firgrove.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2017 18:35]
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:41 - Nov 29 with 6445 viewsrochedale

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:29 - Nov 29 by mingthemerciless

Shorrocks also had shops in The Walk and on Drake St near the old ambulance station.

Talking of Drake St who remembers the old " Sports House " near what used to be the " Navigation Pub " ? We were playing on Firgrove one Saturday afternoon and one of us needed some new shin pads. So four of us lads go into the " Sports House ". One of our team was a kleptomaniac who you couldn't take anywhere. He had his kit in a duffle bag, the ones like a tube with a draw string around the top.

We got up to the counter and my pal asks to see the shin pads which in those days were all keep in drawers along the back wall. The old guy behind the counter turns around, gets his steps and starts to look for the shin pads. On the counter in total isolation is a fully pumped up football.

As soon as the old guy's back is turned and he's up his steps the klepto whips the ball off the counter and straight into his duffle bag ! We are all giving him daggers and whispering for him to return the ball. I want the ground to open up and swallow me.

When the old guy turns back around he just gives my pal the shin pads and takes his money. He either didn't notice the ball was missing or he decided discretion was the better part of valour ! We then beat a hasty retreat to Milnrow Rd for the bus to Firgrove.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2017 18:35]

Great thread, only read this last page but will venture back down the thread. I know many will remember the ‘pop man’, but does anybody remember the ‘lightbulb man’? This might be a figment if my imagination, but I am sure I recall a yellow and black van selling lightbulbs. Can anyone confirm?

Edit: bloody hell, just remembered the fruit and veg man, in the van with side opening doors!
[Post edited 29 Nov 2017 20:42]

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:44 - Nov 29 with 6374 viewsdownunder

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 06:43 - Nov 27 by 1mark1

Not far away from my time at Balderstone. Owen Elbourne was another teacher who could
"scare" people, but a good teacher. Often met him after I had left the school. A good guy when you knew him.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 06:00 - Nov 30 with 6282 viewsSandyman

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:05 - Nov 28 by wroughtironron

Paying sixpence in the Rochdale Baths cafe on a saturday morning for one slice of toast with butter on.
Drinking "underage" in the Slubbers Arms in the town centre
The Co-op on Drake Street, where I paid £2 15 shillings for a jumper, leaving me with no bus fare home to Littleborough (and a long walk)
Pasquale - the tailor on Halifax Road Heybrook, who used to make suits for Ken Dodd.
The Black Pea tent at the Rochdale Fair where you could get a mug of hot black peas and vinegar for sixpence
The Hornets shambles of a "ground" somehere along Kingsway
Unity Equipe motorcycles/parts at Castleton (especially the alloy Tritons)
Edgar Winter Band doing a gig at the back of Hollingworth Lake
The Hollingworth Lake Easter Fair - if you went just after the fair packed-up and left, you could find loads of coins in the car park gravel.
The Chambers (disco) in the Town Hall basement

It was the Edgar *Broughton* band up at the Lake - was shown on Granada.

Also, that bloke on Yorkshire Street, selling "stainless steel blades. five for ten pence". He even featured in a cartoon in R A P once!
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 08:25 - Nov 30 with 6240 viewsseasidedale

I remember a bloke who would stand selling something different every week shouting half a crown each , mostly it was ironing board covers. I remember a teacher at Greenbank who would inspect that your hands were clean and hit you with a ruler called fist bitter, he was called Mr Ridioff (not sure I spelt it right), as an exile when did the Rochdale festival of sport finish.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:32 - Nov 30 with 6104 viewsAlexF

what a brilliant thread this is, made me quite reflective. Well here's a few off the top of my head:
- Cutgate Baptist Church pitch (SO many hours there - now shops)
- Rochdale 2 Coventry 1, FA cup on a (Redbrook) school day
- Reg Jenkins, Norman Whiteside and Dave Cross
- Snow halfway up the door at home - seemed to be every winter
- Tractor Music, Tractor Band and Deeply Vale, Steve Clayton in particular
- Sid Brown, the lovably, totally insane maths teacher at Oulder Hill - ex Barnes Wallis mathematician.
- Firgrove pitches and Pathfinders FC
- walking across an empty Watergrove reservoir in the summer of '76
-Black Sedan, Sharrock&Sharrock and Unity Equipe - spent way too much at all of them
-Tony Crabtree at the Seven Stars Heywood, what a guitar player!!
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:55 - Nov 30 with 6088 viewssoulboy

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:32 - Nov 30 by AlexF

what a brilliant thread this is, made me quite reflective. Well here's a few off the top of my head:
- Cutgate Baptist Church pitch (SO many hours there - now shops)
- Rochdale 2 Coventry 1, FA cup on a (Redbrook) school day
- Reg Jenkins, Norman Whiteside and Dave Cross
- Snow halfway up the door at home - seemed to be every winter
- Tractor Music, Tractor Band and Deeply Vale, Steve Clayton in particular
- Sid Brown, the lovably, totally insane maths teacher at Oulder Hill - ex Barnes Wallis mathematician.
- Firgrove pitches and Pathfinders FC
- walking across an empty Watergrove reservoir in the summer of '76
-Black Sedan, Sharrock&Sharrock and Unity Equipe - spent way too much at all of them
-Tony Crabtree at the Seven Stars Heywood, what a guitar player!!

I think you mean Norman Whitehead, possibly the only third division footballer to ever have his own national newspaper column, The World Of Norman Whitehead. I remember walking across a completely empty watergrove res, what a summer 76 was! Don't think Black Sedan record shop was there very long selling heavy rock stuff but for some reason had a small box of Soul import singles on the counter, all under priced!
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:11 - Nov 30 with 6060 viewsAlexF

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:55 - Nov 30 by soulboy

I think you mean Norman Whitehead, possibly the only third division footballer to ever have his own national newspaper column, The World Of Norman Whitehead. I remember walking across a completely empty watergrove res, what a summer 76 was! Don't think Black Sedan record shop was there very long selling heavy rock stuff but for some reason had a small box of Soul import singles on the counter, all under priced!

lots going on here tonight, not even sure why i typed that and thanks, great comments. I often meet Villa fans and tell them i attended a leaguematch where we beat villa 1-0 whitehead penalty, they always laugh at me. sorry for daft error.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:22 - Nov 30 with 6049 viewsSandyman

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:11 - Nov 30 by AlexF

lots going on here tonight, not even sure why i typed that and thanks, great comments. I often meet Villa fans and tell them i attended a leaguematch where we beat villa 1-0 whitehead penalty, they always laugh at me. sorry for daft error.

Check your private messages (to be found at the top right of the page)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024