Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. 20:42 - Apr 24 with 104326 viewsDale57

What things and places have a special place in your Rochdale childhood.........
Some of mine are
Brights nursery on whitwoth rd
Heybrook school
Howarth cross
Football and sports against other schools around Rochdale
Rochdale baths
ABC cinema
Holingworth lake
Fair on cattle market (now cop shop)
Ashy valley flats
Loads more.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:25 - Dec 6 with 6422 viewskiwidale

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:57 - Dec 6 by chalkyncfc

A tripe restaurant? I'm being to suspect that you are having me on
Pigs trotters,who the chuff would sell or buy them in a restaurant, I mean I can understand somebody eating them in the war when you had practically nothing to eat but you wouldn't order them if steak was on the menu would you,who on here has eaten a pigs trotter (just the thought is making me nauseous tbf) I've never even seen one for sale never mind had one with me chips

You southerners need to harden up and stop wearing blouses.

This is not the time for bickering.

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:58 - Dec 6 with 6399 viewsSandyman

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:57 - Dec 6 by chalkyncfc

A tripe restaurant? I'm being to suspect that you are having me on
Pigs trotters,who the chuff would sell or buy them in a restaurant, I mean I can understand somebody eating them in the war when you had practically nothing to eat but you wouldn't order them if steak was on the menu would you,who on here has eaten a pigs trotter (just the thought is making me nauseous tbf) I've never even seen one for sale never mind had one with me chips

Yer great ill-informed southern Jessie.

http://www.unitedcattleproducts.co.uk/

https://munchies.vice.com/en_uk/article/3djp7n/even-the-owner-of-this-tripe-shop

https://www.campbellsmeat.com/inspiration/a-z-of-meat/pork/pigs-trotters
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:44 - Dec 6 with 6357 viewskiwidale

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:58 - Dec 6 by Sandyman

https://munchies.vice.com/en_uk/article/3djp7n/even-the-owner-of-this-tripe-shop

I'm with you Sandy for me the south starts at Royton but to be fair I think I would draw the line at a tripe butty.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2017 19:51]

This is not the time for bickering.

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:48 - Dec 6 with 6311 viewsrobtheb

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:15 - Dec 1 by judd

The Florida chippy in Sudden.

First chippy I ever saw sell baked beans.

Was that the one next door to The Windmill pub that use to open Sunday evenings for pies only?
Mother and son use to own it.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:54 - Dec 6 with 6300 viewsrobtheb

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:48 - Dec 6 by robtheb

Was that the one next door to The Windmill pub that use to open Sunday evenings for pies only?
Mother and son use to own it.

Sorry judd, just seen your other post confirming it was.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:35 - Dec 6 with 6274 viewschalkyncfc

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:58 - Dec 6 by Sandyman

I can't believe that they had so many restaurants,its like peering into another world,some very interesting links there,thank you

Edit

That tripe shop in the link is the smallest shop that I've ever seen,kinda tells you something about tripe if you ask me
[Post edited 6 Dec 2017 21:45]
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:41 - Dec 6 with 6272 viewschalkyncfc

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:44 - Dec 6 by kiwidale

I'm with you Sandy for me the south starts at Royton but to be fair I think I would draw the line at a tripe butty.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2017 19:51]

A tripe butty,honestly can you imagine it,I would sooner starve

Nottingham is in the Midlands,there's no way that we are southern,I've got friends in Mansfield which is 10 miles away and I'm convinced that the north starts there, to say that they are supposed to a part of Nottinghamshire they sound more like Yorkshire to me
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:58 - Dec 6 with 6247 viewsmingthemerciless

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:35 - Dec 6 by chalkyncfc

I can't believe that they had so many restaurants,its like peering into another world,some very interesting links there,thank you

Edit

That tripe shop in the link is the smallest shop that I've ever seen,kinda tells you something about tripe if you ask me

The tripe shop in Rochdale was pretty small. The upstairs restaurant was like a " tea room " in size.
Login to get fewer ads

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:07 - Dec 6 with 6246 viewsrobtheb

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:35 - Dec 6 by chalkyncfc

Edit

There use to be a UCP tripe shop "on the bridge"in Castleton near The Blue Pits pub. They had a cat that was always sat in the window were all the tripe was on display.......not very busy that shop!

I think they had a couple of tables and some chairs were you could eat in.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:15 - Dec 6 with 6233 viewsdalenumber2

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 13:44 - Dec 1 by mingthemerciless

Trevor Butterworth's first shop was on Cheetham St roughly on the opposite side to where that fancy cake shop and ladies gym is now. I remember getting my first ever pair of training shoes from there. They were those pale blue " Adidas " ones I think they still sell today, " Rom " ? This was in the summer of 1966.They were made in West Germany then and top quality.
He moved the shop to Yorkshire St when they decided to build the dual carriageway and the shop was scheduled for demolition.

We'd been training on Lenny Barn one night that summer and afterwards we went into " The Victoria " for a pint shandy. I'd keep the trainers on because I couldn't be bothered putting my street shoes on. When I walked in the pub it was like one of those scenes out of a Western, everybody turned around to look at me. It was like I had two heads ! Just because I was wearing these blue shoes.

It's funny how attitudes change. Everybody wears trainers with jeans these days.Then if you wore a pale pink shirt with your suit and tie you could expect trouble.

Does anyone remember Geoff Hurst making a guest appearance at Trevor Butterworths (the old shop), must have been around early 1970s? I still have his autograph from that day. My mother nearly swooned when she got sight of him.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:07 - Dec 7 with 6210 viewsSandyman

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:15 - Dec 6 by dalenumber2

Does anyone remember Geoff Hurst making a guest appearance at Trevor Butterworths (the old shop), must have been around early 1970s? I still have his autograph from that day. My mother nearly swooned when she got sight of him.

I remember England bowlers Peter Lever (who lived in Rochdale) and Don Wilson signing autographs at Trevor Butterworths.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 06:13 - Dec 7 with 6158 viewsAlexF

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:15 - Dec 6 by dalenumber2

I remember the Hurst visit. I also remember Martin Peters at Spotland playing for Norwich, fa cup mid 70’s? Finally, despite what some have said here, I distinctly remember Bobby Moore playing at Spotland too, can’t remember the nature of the game, but he scored the most spectacular own goal I’ve ever seen, met with loud laughter from the crowd 😂 Almost made me dads tripe and elder dinner worthwhile afterwards lol
[Post edited 7 Dec 2017 6:22]
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 07:47 - Dec 7 with 6133 viewsEllDale

I don't remember Bobby Moore playing at Spotland but I did see him at Mayfield RL when he came to do a kit presentation. He worked for Brooke St Bureau the employment people and they were Mayfield's main shirt sponsor at the time.
That must have been after 1985 because it was in the old clubhouse at Castleton Moor.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 07:58 - Dec 7 with 6126 viewshammerdale

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 06:13 - Dec 7 by AlexF

I remember the Hurst visit. I also remember Martin Peters at Spotland playing for Norwich, fa cup mid 70’s? Finally, despite what some have said here, I distinctly remember Bobby Moore playing at Spotland too, can’t remember the nature of the game, but he scored the most spectacular own goal I’ve ever seen, met with loud laughter from the crowd 😂 Almost made me dads tripe and elder dinner worthwhile afterwards lol
[Post edited 7 Dec 2017 6:22]

Bobby Moore never played at Spotland, he did however manage Southend here .I think the own goal you are talking about was against Oldham at Boundary Park,when playing for Fulham about 1976/77.You may well have laughed that day but how we could do with his like today!!!
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 08:39 - Dec 7 with 6111 viewsmingthemerciless

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:07 - Dec 7 by Sandyman

I remember England bowlers Peter Lever (who lived in Rochdale) and Don Wilson signing autographs at Trevor Butterworths.

Peter Lever was a regular in " The Healey Hotel " before he moved down South to either Devon or Cornwall.
I don't remember Geoff Hurst coming to Rochdale but I have a dim memory of Susan Maughan ( " Bobbie's Girl " ) attending some sort of function at the Bradley's record shop at the bottom of Yorkshire St.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:48 - Dec 7 with 5956 viewsEllDale

I think that Peter lived in a property on the grounds of Beightons, a big house further up Shawclough Road from the Healey.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:56 - Dec 7 with 5912 viewsAlexF

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 07:58 - Dec 7 by hammerdale

Bobby Moore never played at Spotland, he did however manage Southend here .I think the own goal you are talking about was against Oldham at Boundary Park,when playing for Fulham about 1976/77.You may well have laughed that day but how we could do with his like today!!!

hmmm funny how the mind plays tricks, but yeah, certainly at this time a bunch of us went everywhere locally (except Bury lol) for a game, i thought that Moore goal was earlier, and at Spotland, perhaps not. Interesting point, even though we were at school and not earning, none of us ever seemed to be short of the cost of a game, even for City and United, how times change.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:06 - Aug 6 with 5266 viewsSue

The policeman with the handle bar mustache was called Alan Davenport .
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:45 - Aug 6 with 5189 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:06 - Aug 6 by Sue

One of the best things about the internet is that it speeds up communication, for some.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:47 - Aug 6 with 5184 viewsTVOS1907

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:06 - Aug 6 by Sue

Blimey, that brings back memories.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 08:09 - Apr 22 with 4339 viewsevilmrb

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:03 - Nov 27 by southealingdale

Owd Betts
Bradleys Records + the record stall in the market (can't remember its name)
Being sent by my mam to get fish in the indoor market (bloke with white/grey hair used to serve - top bloke)
WHSmith entrance being down the back
How frustrating it was that the Roch was never more than a bit of a stream
Burneys - pies
Hills - newsagent on Tweedale Street
Finnertys on the walk
The shop half way up Drake Street that sold Lions Liquorice Tablets
The pool hall
The Chip Inn
Broadfield Park pond
Syke pond and the masses of frogspawn
Fairs down the bottom of manchester road (where boots warehouse ended up)
watching cricket at Rochdale
Going to the dale
Watching hornets at the Athletic Grounds (and Stock Cars)
ROchdale carnival - watching the floats
Woodcraft Folk - mam wouldn't let me join the scouts
ITs a Knockout at Carcraft up Smith Street (Stuart Hall)

I also have a memory of seeing Eddie Kidd jumping over cars at Broadfield park but might be mistaken on that one.

Could it have been Springfield Park rather than Broadfield for the Eddie Kidd event. I have pictures I took on the day and I was sure it was there?
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:09 - Apr 22 with 4212 viewsseasidedale

Playing football on Cronkershaw common on Sunday afternoons in the 70’s, it would be 10 half time 20 up. ENd up being 15 players a side as anyone who came were given a game, the likes of Trevor Bell, Simon Whaley Duncan Stewart, Keith Dyson with many more
Happy days
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:46 - Apr 22 with 4171 viewsThe_Knightowl

There was chip shop on Whitworth Road nicknamed "Dirty Mary's" ? not that she was in that sense.....it smelled of damp , red peeling paint work, flag stoned floor, not the cleanest of aprons but darn fine chips!

There was a chip shop on Baillie Street (John Street end) next to a garage with old Playboy pictures adorning its walls (inside) the chippy did tuppence worth of chips on the way home from the ABC minors. ( any body remember one of the managers(Ernest Frizby ?)

Kings cinema had a projectionist called John .........a chippy just round the corner and an off licence on the opposite corner.

The International / Milkstone road did the best Pea and mince curry on a late night.

The Lamplighter on Dane Street very much a parachute club.

The church that stayed on the John Street / Whitworth road became a Ukranian Church.

Razors Edge Barbers on Yorkshire Street popular in its day, the owner went on to Buy Healey Dell farm House ( the old bloke who owned that must have broken his back at some time as he stooped at 90 degrees.

The Fijian Rugby players frequented The Trafalger and Ramsey Street bookies,,,,and the bloke who had the Chinese chippy must have been a Triad as he didn't sell enough chips to lose that much money.

The Polish guy who had a Tech shop on Yorkshire Street (Joe Koczur?)....mostly sold Dynatron.

Gale Street Chippy "Booleys"

The swap shop on Halifax Road where you could swap old comics....how did he make money? although the stock would be worth a fortune now.

Redmans in the indoor market and that brilliant book magazine stall that sold "Famous Monsters of Filmland, Errie and Creepy horror comics

and the Radcliffe arms hosting some awesome djs of the time Margi Clark........ just a few
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 13:15 - Apr 22 with 4154 viewsseasidedale

I was brought up on American comics in the 60’, the only place to get them was the inside market bookstall
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 13:15 - Apr 22 with 4154 viewsEllDale

You certainly like your chippys Knightowl!

My favourite for a long time was actually in Castleton, on Newchurch Street.

The first Indian restaurant I remember was the Koh-I-Noor on Drake Street near the junction with Maclure Road. Unfortunately that stretch down to Wet Rake looks really tatty these days.

My favourite Chinese restaurant was the Wing Wah on the corner of Lord Street.

Best Chinese chippy was probably Luckys on Spotland road. Always called in there after a Monday night home match. For some reason we seemed to play on Monday nights in the 1960's rather on a Tuesday?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024