Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. 20:42 - Apr 24 with 104240 viewsDale57

What things and places have a special place in your Rochdale childhood.........
Some of mine are
Brights nursery on whitwoth rd
Heybrook school
Howarth cross
Football and sports against other schools around Rochdale
Rochdale baths
ABC cinema
Holingworth lake
Fair on cattle market (now cop shop)
Ashy valley flats
Loads more.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 10:21 - Apr 25 with 10819 viewsmaybee

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 09:34 - Apr 25 by BigKindo

You were confused when you got to the Duke after calling in at The Old Clock Face, Billy Luff's, The Red Lion and The White Horse on Lord St., plus The Market Tavern on Toad Lane, the only boozer in Dale without a gents toilet. You had to nip across the Lane into the outside market loos. What about Dale's first Chinese on Lord St. with the newsagents next door?

Blimey BK...I can remember the name of the Chinese and also the name of the newsagents...can you?
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 10:51 - Apr 25 with 10788 viewsBigKindo

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 10:21 - Apr 25 by maybee

Blimey BK...I can remember the name of the Chinese and also the name of the newsagents...can you?

Wing Wong? The newsagents in the 1950's was run by a very polite gentleman and his maidenly sister whose names I forget.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 10:54 - Apr 25 with 10784 viewsmaybee

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 10:51 - Apr 25 by BigKindo

Wing Wong? The newsagents in the 1950's was run by a very polite gentleman and his maidenly sister whose names I forget.

Very close!!!

Wing Wah

The newsagents was Westons. I remember that the polite man "Mr Thanyouverymuchee" always had a fountain display in the shop, which they changed every couple of weeks or so.

Heres another one... Diggle & Taylors at the top of Yorkshire Street.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 11:00 - Apr 25 with 10783 viewsBigKindo

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 10:54 - Apr 25 by maybee

Very close!!!

Wing Wah

The newsagents was Westons. I remember that the polite man "Mr Thanyouverymuchee" always had a fountain display in the shop, which they changed every couple of weeks or so.

Heres another one... Diggle & Taylors at the top of Yorkshire Street.

Struggling on Diggle and Taylor? What about the 'Stock Liquidators' on Cheetham Street? Used to buy bits and pieces to make crystal sets and out of date camara film. The original 1950's Pound Shop.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 11:06 - Apr 25 with 10780 viewsmaybee

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 11:00 - Apr 25 by BigKindo

Struggling on Diggle and Taylor? What about the 'Stock Liquidators' on Cheetham Street? Used to buy bits and pieces to make crystal sets and out of date camara film. The original 1950's Pound Shop.

Diggle & Taylors was a second hand clothes shop. Really old fashioned.

I thought the Stock Liquidators was in the building now occupied by Watan cash & Carry.

Another one... Tucks Stores on the old Toad Lane.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 11:27 - Apr 25 with 10766 viewsIOMDale

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:17 - Apr 24 by ChaffRAFC

The cinema holds a place in my memory. Got a cracking memory of my big brother taking me there, having to queue right up near where McDonalds used to be to go and see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2.

The video shop on Whitworth Road as well, used to go and rent out old WWF videos and Sega Megadrive games. Same with the video shop in Sudden as well actually. Lost count of how many times I rented out NHL 94.

Toymaster on Yorkshire Street. Used to be in there literally every week for a new WWF figure or a new subbuteo team. Brilliant times.

Chaff, that brings back memories. Used the video shop on Whitworth Road for the exact same reasons.

Used to love going up Hollingworth Lake and Healey Dell too. Might be mistaken, but didn't there used to be a cracking little bakery at the bottom of Wilbutts Lane, where it joins Edenfield Road?

Circus/bonfire night on Syke common.
Walking around the market in the shopping exchange centre with my mum.
The Manchester Road roadabout before it was filled in, covered in graffiti.

UTDNFS

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 11:27 - Apr 25 with 10766 viewsBigKindo

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 11:06 - Apr 25 by maybee

I thought the Stock Liquidators was in the building now occupied by Watan cash & Carry.

Stock Liquidators started on Cheetham St., along with Geoff Sheps Cycles, Purdy's wine shop and Bamfords Furnishers where my father was M.D. Behind Bamfords was the Salvation Army Hostel.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 11:30 - Apr 25 with 10765 viewsdebbiesfella

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 11:06 - Apr 25 by maybee

Stock Liquidators was on Cheetham Street to start with. Can anyone remember the name of the toy shop on there that had a model train in the window that you put money in to make it run?
Remember the old Brickcroft club which was on Brickcroft hence the name, walk past it and there was always a smell of stale beer.
Pioneers electrical department on Toad Lane, remember walking past and in the window was a colour TV, the first time I had seen one, was really impressed was showing Wales playing Ireland at rugby union.
Login to get fewer ads

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 13:14 - Apr 25 with 10722 viewsseasidedale

The toy shop was called the model shop, spent many a penny watching them trains.
Rochdale festival of sport (when did that finish)
Sunday afternoon football games on cronkershaw common (10 half time 20 up) would end up about 16 a side
Syke pond
Abc and palace cinema
What was the name of the hardware shop near Lennon's supermarket on Yorkshire street
Older Hill school when it was behind the Robin Hood
UCP shops
Redman's
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:20 - Apr 25 with 10681 viewsSuddenLad

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 09:34 - Apr 25 by BigKindo

You were confused when you got to the Duke after calling in at The Old Clock Face, Billy Luff's, The Red Lion and The White Horse on Lord St., plus The Market Tavern on Toad Lane, the only boozer in Dale without a gents toilet. You had to nip across the Lane into the outside market loos. What about Dale's first Chinese on Lord St. with the newsagents next door?

All part of my paper round.

Aye, Wing Wah and Mr. Suen who was working there became the owner of Lucky's on Spotland Road, which opened in 1971. Also on Blackwater Street was Sunwin travel agency (agents for Happidays) and Rossall, Dalby and Parker auctioneers and sale rooms.

The newsagent on Lord Street was Weston's. Called in almost every day on the way to/from school. It was owned and run by a Charles Hawtrey look-alike and a woman who purportedly was his sister. They were either twins, or it was the same person, dressing differently on different days. I have no recollection of ever seeing them together at the same time !!
When the shop bell went (under the mat), he used to flounce down the steps from the living area, with one hand in an elevated 'limp-wristed pose' and speak in the sweetest of voices, always with his nose in the air. A real character.

A bit further along was the old pawnbrokers, 3 large balls hanging down from above the shop window !!

'Camera Corner' was opposite the Clock Face, the corset shop and Duncan Foster confectioners further along.

Opposite was the Co-op tobacconists where you could buy an ounce of dark shag !!

BM rainwear and the coal merchant shared the same building on the corner, opposite Duncan Foster's cake shop/bakers.

Talking of Bamford's on Cheetham Street, I used to go to their restaurant for my dinners from school. Potato pie and mushy peas was 9d. Bloody lovely. Cheaper than a meat and potato from Burneys at tenpence ha'penny.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:22 - Apr 25 with 10683 viewspioneer

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 13:14 - Apr 25 by seasidedale

The toy shop was called the model shop, spent many a penny watching them trains.
Rochdale festival of sport (when did that finish)
Sunday afternoon football games on cronkershaw common (10 half time 20 up) would end up about 16 a side
Syke pond
Abc and palace cinema
What was the name of the hardware shop near Lennon's supermarket on Yorkshire street
Older Hill school when it was behind the Robin Hood
UCP shops
Redman's

A bit further up from the toyshop was the Rochdale supporters club programme shop . My dad used to work with one of blokes who ran it (Jimmy Schofield, they were both Rochdale postmen).
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:31 - Apr 25 with 10677 viewsSuddenLad

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:22 - Apr 25 by pioneer

A bit further up from the toyshop was the Rochdale supporters club programme shop . My dad used to work with one of blokes who ran it (Jimmy Schofield, they were both Rochdale postmen).

Remember that shop well. Used to go in there a lot. It was near what is now that all womens' gym. I think the shop now is an Indian restaurant. There or thereabouts anyway.

The shop came about after they demolished the wooden supporters club hut on the club car park where we used to have meetings and swap programmes etc...

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:37 - Apr 25 with 10672 viewsmaybee

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:31 - Apr 25 by SuddenLad

Remember that shop well. Used to go in there a lot. It was near what is now that all womens' gym. I think the shop now is an Indian restaurant. There or thereabouts anyway.

The shop came about after they demolished the wooden supporters club hut on the club car park where we used to have meetings and swap programmes etc...

I don't recall the Dale shop being there... I do remember going to one somewhere opposite the Baths Hotel..in a terraced house.
I was treated to a replica kit there (with the socks that had 2 blue hoops!!!) Felt very proud to wear it aged around 8 or so.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:50 - Apr 25 with 10648 viewsSuddenLad

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:37 - Apr 25 by maybee

I don't recall the Dale shop being there... I do remember going to one somewhere opposite the Baths Hotel..in a terraced house.
I was treated to a replica kit there (with the socks that had 2 blue hoops!!!) Felt very proud to wear it aged around 8 or so.

Opposite the Baths Hotel would be Broadwater Youth Club (Lea Hall) and next to that is Milton Church (St. Andrews). Not sure where the houses were. Slubbers Arms was a bit further along where the bus station is now.

Cyril Watts' chippy and shop were in the same row as the Baths Hotel where the bingo hall now stands.

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:55 - Apr 25 with 10648 viewsoff2div1

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 09:46 - Apr 25 by BigKindo

His brother George Norman was ring spinning overlooker at Courtaulds Arrow Mill Castleton when I worked there in the early 1960's. Arthur was well known in Cass for his preferences and best avoided.

I forgot about Arthur frerquenting cassy baths
Another memory watching Dunlop fire from St Edwards school yard(now cassy community centre)
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:58 - Apr 25 with 10644 viewsSandyman

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:50 - Apr 25 by SuddenLad

Opposite the Baths Hotel would be Broadwater Youth Club (Lea Hall) and next to that is Milton Church (St. Andrews). Not sure where the houses were. Slubbers Arms was a bit further along where the bus station is now.

Cyril Watts' chippy and shop were in the same row as the Baths Hotel where the bingo hall now stands.

I remember the old club shop on Smith St being on the same side of the road as the Baths Hotel, but nearer the town centre/Electric House than Maybee recalls, quite near to the turning for Yelloways. Remember getting a Dale badge and some old programmes from there.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 15:00 - Apr 25 with 10640 viewsoff2div1

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 11:30 - Apr 25 by debbiesfella

Stock Liquidators was on Cheetham Street to start with. Can anyone remember the name of the toy shop on there that had a model train in the window that you put money in to make it run?
Remember the old Brickcroft club which was on Brickcroft hence the name, walk past it and there was always a smell of stale beer.
Pioneers electrical department on Toad Lane, remember walking past and in the window was a colour TV, the first time I had seen one, was really impressed was showing Wales playing Ireland at rugby union.

Remember Pioneers had a record dept & had listening booths were you could listen to the latest single before you bought it.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 15:13 - Apr 25 with 10625 viewsSuddenLad

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 11:30 - Apr 25 by debbiesfella

The 'Model Shop' was officially known as Hollands. He was originally a 'woodworkers supplier'. Stocked all kinds of wood - mainly dowel and balsa for model making but expanded his stock to cover all types of model making hobbies.

The train in the window was operated by dropping a pre-decimal penny in the slot to the left of the display window. Spent many an hour watching that thing.

He used to have a vending machine in the doorway where you buy Beech Nut and KP chewing gum in small packets.

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:10 - Apr 25 with 10603 viewsDale57

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 02:55 - Apr 25 by downunder

That would probably be Laitia Ravouvou( or Joe Levulu. Unfortunately, Joe let acohol get the better of him, and was a mess, the last time I saw him). Met a few of them during my time playing at Rochdalians RUFC. All gents and good fun.
My favourite memories of Rochdale
The circus coming via train to Rochdale.
Stoneyfields
The Yew Tree train carriage.
Bradleys records.
Beating Coventry in the cup.
Under age drinking in the Roebuck
Baldy School 6th form pub crawl team.
Town Taxis
Tiffs
Rugby at Rakewood.
Swimming Baths
Birch hill Maternity for the birth of my children.
Rugby at Kirkholt
Craven Hiefer
Wellfield WMC
Over the Edge Charity bike ride.
Beating Coventry in the FA Cup
Not regretting leaving Rochdale behind, despite the memories.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Sorry to hear about Laitia and yes they were all gents.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:12 - Apr 25 with 10601 viewsDale57

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 08:45 - Apr 25 by SuddenLad

Laitia Ravouvou
Voate Drui
Joe Levula
Mike Ratu (and son)
Apisai Toga

There may have been another known as 'Big Ben' but I don't remember much about him apart from his size.

All Fijians who came to Hornets in the mid-1960's. Fantastic to watch, especially Toga and Ravouvou. Massive forwards who were fearless and powerful. They were used to playing in bare feet until they arrived here but had to adapt to wearing boots to play professionally.

Toga and his brother also had careers in Australian RL but Apisai died in the early 1970's. If I remember rightly, he died from tetanus after cutting his foot on some coral whilst swimming.

I used to watch the Hairnets regularly then. I still have all their autographs somewhere. Happy days.

Mike Ratu was also a good friend and regular drinking buddy of my fathers too.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:19 - Apr 25 with 10591 viewsDale57

Anyone remember Ivesons dept store and the little stud shop on toad lane ?
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:25 - Apr 25 with 10582 viewsSuddenLad

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:19 - Apr 25 by Dale57

Anyone remember Ivesons dept store and the little stud shop on toad lane ?

My Great Unle Wilf (Butterworth) was manager at Ivesons. He'd weep if he saw Drake Street now.

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:31 - Apr 25 with 10575 viewsLongTimeDaleFan

Greenhill School - reunion last Saturday but Dale came first!
Standing on the Hill at Spotland changing ends at halftime
all the roundabouts on Manchester Road and in the Town Centre full of flowers in Summer and evergreens in Winter curtesy of Rochdale Parks Department
Sitting in front of the bowlibng green at Dane Street
Making teas at Fieldhouse cc and playing cards in the pavilion after the match
Dances at St Lukes Church Deeplish,the Town Hall and the Carlton
Regal and Kings Cinemas
Beating Coventry
I couldnt open the link to the Bus but I immediately thought of the Blue and cream buses
Getting off the Number 1 bus from Queensway and walking across the Town Centre to catch a bus up to Spotland and many more before reorganisation and the Metro
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:40 - Apr 25 with 10564 viewsLongTimeDaleFan

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:22 - Apr 25 by pioneer

I forgot the train in Cheetham Street
The wonderful klunches at the Robin Hood
Cannot remember the hardware shop on Yorkshire Street but remember Morris Aladins cave on Toad Lane!
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:03 - Apr 25 with 10542 viewsBigKindo

Norden Riviera outdoor swimming pool!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024