Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. 20:42 - Apr 24 with 105030 viewsDale57

What things and places have a special place in your Rochdale childhood.........
Some of mine are
Brights nursery on whitwoth rd
Heybrook school
Howarth cross
Football and sports against other schools around Rochdale
Rochdale baths
ABC cinema
Holingworth lake
Fair on cattle market (now cop shop)
Ashy valley flats
Loads more.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:33 - Apr 25 with 8210 viewsTalkingSutty

The Travellers Rest in the bus station, when skinheads where all the rage.

Funnys bar on Spotland Rd,you didnt have to be gay to have a good night.

Sunday night pub crawls down Whiworth Road.

The Robin Hood one Tuesday teatime with Moggy and about Thirty other handy looking lads, we all dived into the back of a furniture removal fan and went to the racecourse ground watching the Dale.

We stopped for a beer on the way back and a fully cooked suckling pig magically appeared in the back of the van from somewhere, we ripped it to pieces. Crazy days of watching the Dale!!
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:33 - Apr 25 with 8194 viewsdalefertcup2

Guitar shop round the back on Cheetham St.
Trevor Butterworths old shop halfway up Yorkshire St
Watching the Dale from the Paddock behind the row disabled cars
The Odeon Cinema top of Drake st
Gigs at the Champness Hall
The Small Plunge at the Baths
The high diving boards in the Large Plunge (that belly flop still stings, and I never felt good about the water that forced up my arse doing a bomb)
The open air market
The old Woolies with the narrow stairs to the second floor
5-a side at the Youth Centre bottom of John St
Killer Coates dentists
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:45 - Apr 25 with 8182 viewsdavidab2202

Have I missed a mention of the Carlton?

Anyone remember a guy who used to deliver coal,but all the year round never wore anything above the waist no matter what the weather was like
North Western Buses
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:48 - Apr 25 with 8175 viewsTalkingSutty

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:45 - Apr 25 by davidab2202

Have I missed a mention of the Carlton?

Anyone remember a guy who used to deliver coal,but all the year round never wore anything above the waist no matter what the weather was like
North Western Buses

Franny from the buses, i bet some remember her
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:49 - Apr 25 with 8171 viewsdebbiesfella

I remember going to the Pavilion cinema, it was that bad when I was watching a war film and tanks ran across the screen the balcony shook.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:49 - Apr 25 with 8141 viewsColDale

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:48 - Apr 25 by TalkingSutty

did that bus have a private reg plate?
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:55 - Apr 25 with 8137 viewsSuddenLad

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:48 - Apr 25 by TalkingSutty

Franny Hall the bus drivers 'groupie'. She used to stand in the paddock in front of the main stand at Spotland in front of what is now the Police control tower.

She should have walked around with a mattress on her back, just in case. A real horror

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:02 - Apr 25 with 8133 viewsTalkingSutty

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:55 - Apr 25 by SuddenLad

Franny Hall the bus drivers 'groupie'. She used to stand in the paddock in front of the main stand at Spotland in front of what is now the Police control tower.

She should have walked around with a mattress on her back, just in case. A real horror

Nice personality though. At one stage i actually thought she was sponsored by Selnec
Login to get fewer ads

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:04 - Apr 25 with 8127 viewsStatzdale

Stockcars at the Athletic Grounds , its a pity they stopped
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:29 - Apr 25 with 8107 viewsChaffRAFC

A few more while I'm thinking back.

The years and years I spent over at Milnrow Cricket Club playing cricket from the age of about 7 right up to about 18. Playing there during winter in the nets with my mates, including Fondles off this very board. Milnrow is still the finest ground around the borough if you ask me as well.

On the same note, going playing football on Crossgates, St Jimmy's and Holly High playing fields with Fondles and countless others. Brilliant times.

Also have a vague memory of going watching Monster Trucks at Rochdale Rugby Club on a freezing cold night but it was still ace.

My old primary school was a magnificent place as well, Newhey County Primary School. Superb memories of playing for the football and cricket teams.

Champness Hall as well, remember watching Wrestling there and watching the British Bulldog.

Norman's Snooker Club, spent many, many days there with Dale fan mates like Dale_Addict, Dale_Bullet, Kaminskas etc.

This might be my favourite ever thread on here.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:04 - Apr 25 with 8073 viewsRegJenkinsBoot

Loving this thread too!! Here's my twopennorth...
Halifax Road Primary
Howarth Cross Middle School (incl 1 year at Greenbank/Cronkeyshaw whist the new school was being built)
Greenhill Upper (6th form lunchtimes at the Rifleman's)
the Bowling Green and Victoria pubs on Spotland Road
Broadwater youth club
Ellen Smith's coaches
Changing ends at half-time
Wagging off school for the Coventry game (and being caught out the following day - thank you Mrs Webster).
Syke ponds, tennis courts and the Donkey.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:45 - Apr 25 with 8047 viewsDale57

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:03 - Apr 25 by BigKindo

Norden Riviera outdoor swimming pool!

That was some bloody cold water ha ha,sneaking in through the bushes,lol
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:49 - Apr 25 with 8040 viewsDale57

Did anyone attend the training session at firgrove playing fields when Jack Charlton was there ?
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:55 - Apr 25 with 8034 viewsDale57

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:04 - Apr 25 by Statzdale

Yeh used to love it and the speedway and if anyone used to go to hornets speedway and remembers Peter Collins.I went into a pub in Midsomer Norton in Wilt's and his bike is hanging over the bar.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:59 - Apr 25 with 8023 viewsTalkingSutty

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:04 - Apr 25 by Statzdale

Racing Panda cars around the Athletics Ground at 4am in the morning, i bet your dad remembers that Chaff,on second thoughts he was probably sleeping
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:59 - Apr 25 with 8022 viewsDale57

Speaking of speedway,it was me and my sister who invented the skateboard in 1970 lol....we fastened a book to the old adjustable metal skate and used to sit on it and race each other down the ramp on ashfield valley flats near the Weavers,ha ha them were the days with our little Hornets bibs on.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:03 - Apr 25 with 8019 viewsDale57

Do we have any old Deepdale Emeralds players on here,they played on stoneyfield and played in "ahem" green.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:59 - Apr 25 with 7982 views49thseason

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:55 - Apr 25 by off2div1

I forgot about Arthur frerquenting cassy baths
Another memory watching Dunlop fire from St Edwards school yard(now cassy community centre)

You must have been at St Eddies at the same time as me then! I've still got a copy of the Manchester Evening News with the pictures of the fire!
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:07 - Apr 25 with 7978 viewssykeboy

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:27 - Apr 25 by Dale57

Never had a brush with Mr Kershaw but i remember him well.I just cant remember the name of the woodwork teacher at HC but in 1995 i contacted someone to do some joinery work for us and it turned out to be him,lol........Ah Mr Barrett i think it was.

it was barrett remember him cutting part of a finger off
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:07 - Apr 25 with 7978 viewsmikehunt

Sam Smiths brewery on Molesworth Street and the smell of hops and malt over town when they were brewing.
Also near the bottom of Molesworth street, on the bridge, were some ancient piss stones which simply drained straight into the Roch.
The Vavasour Hotel
Swinging from a bike tyre slung on the ladder support of the gas street lamp outside our house. (and that was about 1958/9)
Fanny Brierley's chippie.

.... and can anyone remember the name of the pub on Milnrow Road sort of Sarah Butterworth Street area?
.... and what was the name of that club where a riot broke out when the Rolling Stones didn't appear?

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:11 - Apr 25 with 7976 viewsDale57

Big Reg's tree trunk legs
Hooped sock's
Smell of linament
Smell of pipe tobacco
Wooden rattle
Free bus from cenataph
Change over at half time "crash bang wallop"
Snowy the watford fan
Being chased down the railway by shaymen lobbing rail bolts at us,that was after flying down the parcel chute in Halifax station ha ha god i miss them days.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:15 - Apr 25 with 7971 viewssykeboy

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 08:45 - Apr 25 by SuddenLad

Laitia Ravouvou
Voate Drui
Joe Levula
Mike Ratu (and son)
Apisai Toga

There may have been another known as 'Big Ben' but I don't remember much about him apart from his size.

All Fijians who came to Hornets in the mid-1960's. Fantastic to watch, especially Toga and Ravouvou. Massive forwards who were fearless and powerful. They were used to playing in bare feet until they arrived here but had to adapt to wearing boots to play professionally.

Toga and his brother also had careers in Australian RL but Apisai died in the early 1970's. If I remember rightly, he died from tetanus after cutting his foot on some coral whilst swimming.

I used to watch the Hairnets regularly then. I still have all their autographs somewhere. Happy days.

remember mike well used to work in the roch bar with him at weekends!!

still see his lad at dale now and again
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:22 - Apr 25 with 7963 viewsBigKindo

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:07 - Apr 25 by mikehunt

Sam Smiths brewery on Molesworth Street and the smell of hops and malt over town when they were brewing.
Also near the bottom of Molesworth street, on the bridge, were some ancient piss stones which simply drained straight into the Roch.
The Vavasour Hotel
Swinging from a bike tyre slung on the ladder support of the gas street lamp outside our house. (and that was about 1958/9)
Fanny Brierley's chippie.

.... and can anyone remember the name of the pub on Milnrow Road sort of Sarah Butterworth Street area?
.... and what was the name of that club where a riot broke out when the Rolling Stones didn't appear?

Cubie Club
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:25 - Apr 25 with 7961 viewspnc4eva1

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:45 - Apr 24 by Clivert

The Hill at Spotland (can we name it Keith Hill now?)

The roundabout with a Church in the middle of it(rather than saying the junction at the bottom of Whitworth Road).

Hornets not playing at Spotland.

2 hospitals.

Edit Yorkshire st sheep already mentioned.

Black peas at footie
The guy who used to sing when we stood in the cinema queue

up the dale
Poll: Are these polls getting tedious

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:43 - Apr 25 with 7936 viewsTalkingSutty

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:11 - Apr 25 by Dale57

Big Reg's tree trunk legs
Hooped sock's
Smell of linament
Smell of pipe tobacco
Wooden rattle
Free bus from cenataph
Change over at half time "crash bang wallop"
Snowy the watford fan
Being chased down the railway by shaymen lobbing rail bolts at us,that was after flying down the parcel chute in Halifax station ha ha god i miss them days.

Remember the train being set on fire by Dale fans (It made the ten o`clock news) travelling back from a night match at the Shay. We all got put on buses and transported back to Halifax Police station and i remember my dad having to come and pick me up at 6am in the morning. Being a cop himself he wasnt impressed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024