Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. 20:42 - Apr 24 with 102401 viewsDale57

What things and places have a special place in your Rochdale childhood.........
Some of mine are
Brights nursery on whitwoth rd
Heybrook school
Howarth cross
Football and sports against other schools around Rochdale
Rochdale baths
ABC cinema
Holingworth lake
Fair on cattle market (now cop shop)
Ashy valley flats
Loads more.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:24 - Apr 26 with 6344 viewsRegJenkinsBoot

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:28 - Apr 26 by seasidedale

ABC Minors (saturday morning pictures)
PE teacher at Greenhill mr Pinder I think his colleugue was called Ashworth
Chorlton's bakery and shop on Whitworth road
Walks in Ashworth Valley and futrher afield Brown Wardle a big hill in Whitworth
Finnerties paper shop at the bottom of the Butts
What was that posh sweet shop called there used to sell noughar with cherries in
Whitworth road care sales bought my first car there a Hillman Avenger
Playing football on a slopping pitch at a school called Brownhill off Heights lane

I seem to recall that Abe Pinder's sidekick was called (John?) Shepherd and was a Chelsea fan (circa 1970-1)?? The passage of time softens the memory but they were both utter bastards !!

Edit:
Just seen SuddenLad's post and you're right it was John Jones (should have remembered that really!!). Stand by my comments about their parentage though, (sent me off in 5-a-side hockey for a raised stick after 30 seconds which remains the total length of my hockey career - thank f*ck)
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:41 - Apr 26 with 6322 viewsdebbiesfella

Anybody remember the Toy shop on Spotland Road , they sold lollies and if the stick was inscribed Toy Shop you got a free lolly next time.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:55 - Apr 26 with 6305 views442Dale

Kiwidale (the same one who used to post on the Barrel way back when?): think you'll find that lift is still in use in the old Co-op/Sunwins/whatever it's called now. It's like a step back in time.

Judd: the bloke in the Baum was there when we started going in the early 90s too, and remained so long he now has a plaque over the door near the toilets.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:57 - Apr 26 with 6299 viewsBigKindo

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:25 - Apr 26 by judd

Talking of slappers, there was one who used to "operate" in Nell Rackers that we labelled the Turf Hill Terror.

What was that Robinson's pub at top of John Street called - St James' Tavern?

That weird bloke who used to stand underneath the same light in the Baum every time you went in. Looked like he was a Zanussi inventor.

That big copper with the huge moustache who used to patrol the town centre.

Rock Nights at Tiff's on Wednesdays. Complete with chicken in a fookin' basket.

Handsome Joe nicking my mates leather jacket, and my mate, slashed up, reporting it to the cops. The copper putting a message out to look out for "Handsome Joe".

Free tickets from school for Dale games.

Those blue cars alongside the pitch at Dale, watching them almost tip over if they got a ball side on to them.

Having a slash in the Wilbutts bogs and still being able to watch the game.

Correct. St James Tavern one of only Robinson's pubs in the borough, the other being the Healey Hotel.

PC Alan ????? Passed away a few years ago. He used to lead the St. George's Day Parade, Remembrance Sunday Parade etc.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:57 - Apr 26 with 6296 viewsjudd

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:55 - Apr 26 by 442Dale

Kiwidale (the same one who used to post on the Barrel way back when?): think you'll find that lift is still in use in the old Co-op/Sunwins/whatever it's called now. It's like a step back in time.

Judd: the bloke in the Baum was there when we started going in the early 90s too, and remained so long he now has a plaque over the door near the toilets.

He used to stink.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:02 - Apr 26 with 6290 views442Dale

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:57 - Apr 26 by judd

He used to stink.

Standing near the toilets was possibly his equivalent of getting a Lynx giftset for Christmas then.

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:04 - Apr 26 with 6288 viewsTalkingSutty

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:57 - Apr 26 by BigKindo

Correct. St James Tavern one of only Robinson's pubs in the borough, the other being the Healey Hotel.

PC Alan ????? Passed away a few years ago. He used to lead the St. George's Day Parade, Remembrance Sunday Parade etc.

PC Alan Davenport.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:06 - Apr 26 with 6280 viewsjudd

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:04 - Apr 26 by TalkingSutty

PC Alan Davenport.

Ta.

The International Café on Milkstone Road.

Login to get fewer ads

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:09 - Apr 26 with 6278 viewsSuddenLad

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:57 - Apr 26 by judd

He used to stink.

George the Anorak. Hair was so matted it eventually looked like a knitted collar length bonnet.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:15 - Apr 26 with 6269 viewsSuddenLad

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:41 - Apr 26 by debbiesfella

Anybody remember the Toy shop on Spotland Road , they sold lollies and if the stick was inscribed Toy Shop you got a free lolly next time.

Whereabouts was the toy shop ?

What was the name of the barber who had the shop at the bottom of Cinnamon Street - the one up a few steps ?

I remember Conkeys hardware shop, where they had a petrol pump inside the shop for selling and dispensing Esso Blue. The place stank of fuel so much you almost expected it to explode any minute.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:18 - Apr 26 with 6267 viewsdaledaft

The Firgrove Childrens Picnic ran in the 60s and 70s.
Once a year a coach load of kids from the area went on a day trip to the seaside (Blackpool,Southport or New Brighton.)
Never did find out who organised it or more important how it was paid for,
great days out though.
Jubbly's now called calypso's but were far larger back then, or was it because i was far smaller ?
The CB club at the RAOB club on Milnrow Rd in the early 80s.
Clackers. 2 Glass balls that clacked togetherat high speed if you were good at it. How they didnt shatter and damage my face/eyes i dont know, they were banned quite quickly if i remember right.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:32 - Apr 26 with 6241 viewsDaleView

Here are some that have not yet mentioned.....
Learning that showers had been installed at Spingy Park and finding out that they were only cold water.
Joining the bus queues outside the Post Office on Saturday afternoons to get to The Dale matches and queuing up again in Churchill Street after the game (that was when crowds were regularly 6 or 7 thousand.
The Temperance Billiard Hall in Nelson Street (now China City)
Going to the Carlton at lunch times for a shilling with boys and girls from the respective Technical Schools. Circa 1956.
Walking home from the Carlton on Saturday night along the high level on Oldham Road enjoying a meat & potato pie and having no fear of being mugged.
Dale beating Hartlepools United 7-1 with Jim Daley scoring 5.
Selling programmes at Dale games - 300 went through my hands when Dale played Norwich...........what value was that then? What value now?
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:34 - Apr 26 with 6235 viewssince58

the old barn at firgrove before the new changing rooms,and mr mulrooney filling the tin baths with hot water ten minutes before the final whistle .
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:43 - Apr 26 with 6200 viewsDaley_Lama

Saturday 18:00

Waiting outside the papershop for the pinkun to arrive.

Poll: DF in or out

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:44 - Apr 26 with 6196 viewsjudd

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:43 - Apr 26 by Daley_Lama

Saturday 18:00

Waiting outside the papershop for the pinkun to arrive.

Gay Times?

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:47 - Apr 26 with 6190 viewsDaley_Lama

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:44 - Apr 26 by judd

Gay Times?

Financial Times, obv.

Our kid was mates with PC Handlebar's son. PC Handlebars reminded me of Windsor Davies and offered to shove our kids carn horn 'where the sun don't shine' as he beeped his way home after that night versus Stockport.

Poll: DF in or out

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:48 - Apr 26 with 6187 viewsSalwaDale

Some great stuff on here, especially PC Handlebars. I believe The Baum fella is still there. Ian the Bruce Springsteen singer has a tribute page on facebook.

Couple of others from my era:

That song at the end of a Xanadu's night.
Shawfield burning down (a bit) the year after we left.
Trecking back across fields with a bottle of Newcy Brown after collecting my wages from the Egerton Arms.
Tap room at The Hare and Hounds
Buying codemasters football computer games on tape for a few quid.
Sandwich shop at the bus station.
Bob Finc, Mr Carter, Mr Higgins & Gino Grunelli. (From various schools)
And finally those faces that you saw at Dale, never knew names but still see them now.

TBBT

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:18 - Apr 26 with 6164 viewsjudd

That mural of Alvin fookin' Stardust in Heywood.

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:21 - Apr 26 with 6162 views442Dale

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:48 - Apr 26 by SalwaDale

Some great stuff on here, especially PC Handlebars. I believe The Baum fella is still there. Ian the Bruce Springsteen singer has a tribute page on facebook.

Couple of others from my era:

That song at the end of a Xanadu's night.
Shawfield burning down (a bit) the year after we left.
Trecking back across fields with a bottle of Newcy Brown after collecting my wages from the Egerton Arms.
Tap room at The Hare and Hounds
Buying codemasters football computer games on tape for a few quid.
Sandwich shop at the bus station.
Bob Finc, Mr Carter, Mr Higgins & Gino Grunelli. (From various schools)
And finally those faces that you saw at Dale, never knew names but still see them now.

That song was annoying.

There's a regular on here who was never pleased with the 6th form takeover of the tap room on a Friday night. Especially when some were drinking orange and soda for 80p a pint and making it last all night.

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:47 - Apr 26 with 6145 viewsSalwaDale

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:21 - Apr 26 by 442Dale

That song was annoying.

There's a regular on here who was never pleased with the 6th form takeover of the tap room on a Friday night. Especially when some were drinking orange and soda for 80p a pint and making it last all night.

Aye, more than one messageboard poster too I think. Shouting 'back to school on Monday' at us in his Dale jumper that I also owned.

TBBT

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:51 - Apr 26 with 6145 viewsTalkingSutty

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:47 - Apr 26 by SalwaDale

Aye, more than one messageboard poster too I think. Shouting 'back to school on Monday' at us in his Dale jumper that I also owned.

You shared jumpers
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:42 - Apr 26 with 6121 viewschuckleberry

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:25 - Apr 26 by judd

Talking of slappers, there was one who used to "operate" in Nell Rackers that we labelled the Turf Hill Terror.

What was that Robinson's pub at top of John Street called - St James' Tavern?

That weird bloke who used to stand underneath the same light in the Baum every time you went in. Looked like he was a Zanussi inventor.

That big copper with the huge moustache who used to patrol the town centre.

Rock Nights at Tiff's on Wednesdays. Complete with chicken in a fookin' basket.

Handsome Joe nicking my mates leather jacket, and my mate, slashed up, reporting it to the cops. The copper putting a message out to look out for "Handsome Joe".

Free tickets from school for Dale games.

Those blue cars alongside the pitch at Dale, watching them almost tip over if they got a ball side on to them.

Having a slash in the Wilbutts bogs and still being able to watch the game.

George still frequents The Baum and has a plaque dedicated to him above his spot. He's usually outside having a fag nowadays.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:43 - Apr 26 with 6120 views_dezzy

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:47 - Apr 26 by Daley_Lama

Financial Times, obv.

Our kid was mates with PC Handlebar's son. PC Handlebars reminded me of Windsor Davies and offered to shove our kids carn horn 'where the sun don't shine' as he beeped his way home after that night versus Stockport.

was the night after we beat them and secured league staus, forget the year, he was a great man, on and off duty, once i was in the sandy fooling around, he came up to me and said, any more of that and i will make you stay to the end, if only todays police had that sort of humour

KHBA

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:33 - Apr 27 with 6097 viewsD_Alien

OMG I've just remembered trips to Millcroft Gardens on Easter Monday

Been trying to forget them for decades - time to shut this thread down, surely? Please?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 06:35 - Apr 27 with 6072 viewsjoecooke

Roller City
Y cardigans and leg warmers from indoor market!
Rag puddings
Youth club( next to Roch Valley)
CB radios

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024