Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. 20:42 - Apr 24 with 104946 viewsDale57

What things and places have a special place in your Rochdale childhood.........
Some of mine are
Brights nursery on whitwoth rd
Heybrook school
Howarth cross
Football and sports against other schools around Rochdale
Rochdale baths
ABC cinema
Holingworth lake
Fair on cattle market (now cop shop)
Ashy valley flats
Loads more.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:46 - Apr 28 with 7890 viewsMrsDale4life

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:17 - Apr 24 by Dale57

Queuing at Yelloway coaches in the Rochdale holidays for the coach to Blackpool,the week after scotch week (thank god)

The ABC and Odeon Cinema
Going to Cleverleys on the Yelloway Coaches
Tiffany's ( espeicially the pirate ship)
Dukes nightclub
The old Rochdale Market
The old buses that used to stop on the Butts
Roller City
The minature railway and minature golf at Springfield Park
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:03 - Apr 28 with 7877 viewsThreeLions

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:48 - Apr 26 by SalwaDale

Some great stuff on here, especially PC Handlebars. I believe The Baum fella is still there. Ian the Bruce Springsteen singer has a tribute page on facebook.

Couple of others from my era:

That song at the end of a Xanadu's night.
Shawfield burning down (a bit) the year after we left.
Trecking back across fields with a bottle of Newcy Brown after collecting my wages from the Egerton Arms.
Tap room at The Hare and Hounds
Buying codemasters football computer games on tape for a few quid.
Sandwich shop at the bus station.
Bob Finc, Mr Carter, Mr Higgins & Gino Grunelli. (From various schools)
And finally those faces that you saw at Dale, never knew names but still see them now.

I must have gone to the same schools as you, my class was the last one to use said blown up science lab at shawfield. What did granelli teach? PE?
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:54 - Apr 28 with 7853 viewsSalwaDale

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:03 - Apr 28 by ThreeLions

I must have gone to the same schools as you, my class was the last one to use said blown up science lab at shawfield. What did granelli teach? PE?

Yep, great man was Gino.

TBBT

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:07 - Apr 28 with 7846 views442Dale

What happened at Shawfield? It's one of those stories you think you remember but without any real details.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:37 - Apr 28 with 7819 viewsTVOS1907

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:03 - Apr 28 by ThreeLions

Sounds like an ice cream man, tbf.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:09 - Apr 28 with 7802 viewsThreeLions

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:07 - Apr 28 by 442Dale

What happened at Shawfield? It's one of those stories you think you remember but without any real details.

One of the science labs blew up one night leaving the rest of the school badly smoke damaged. We had only been back from the summer holidays a couple of days aswell. Nice having a further fortnight off school.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. (n/t) on 21:17 - Nov 12 with 5976 viewsgreenhill666

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:20 - Apr 25 by SuddenLad

All part of my paper round.

Aye, Wing Wah and Mr. Suen who was working there became the owner of Lucky's on Spotland Road, which opened in 1971. Also on Blackwater Street was Sunwin travel agency (agents for Happidays) and Rossall, Dalby and Parker auctioneers and sale rooms.

The newsagent on Lord Street was Weston's. Called in almost every day on the way to/from school. It was owned and run by a Charles Hawtrey look-alike and a woman who purportedly was his sister. They were either twins, or it was the same person, dressing differently on different days. I have no recollection of ever seeing them together at the same time !!
When the shop bell went (under the mat), he used to flounce down the steps from the living area, with one hand in an elevated 'limp-wristed pose' and speak in the sweetest of voices, always with his nose in the air. A real character.

A bit further along was the old pawnbrokers, 3 large balls hanging down from above the shop window !!

'Camera Corner' was opposite the Clock Face, the corset shop and Duncan Foster confectioners further along.

Opposite was the Co-op tobacconists where you could buy an ounce of dark shag !!

BM rainwear and the coal merchant shared the same building on the corner, opposite Duncan Foster's cake shop/bakers.

Talking of Bamford's on Cheetham Street, I used to go to their restaurant for my dinners from school. Potato pie and mushy peas was 9d. Bloody lovely. Cheaper than a meat and potato from Burneys at tenpence ha'penny.

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:20 - Nov 12 with 5975 viewsgreenhill666

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:20 - Apr 25 by SuddenLad

All part of my paper round.

Aye, Wing Wah and Mr. Suen who was working there became the owner of Lucky's on Spotland Road, which opened in 1971. Also on Blackwater Street was Sunwin travel agency (agents for Happidays) and Rossall, Dalby and Parker auctioneers and sale rooms.

The newsagent on Lord Street was Weston's. Called in almost every day on the way to/from school. It was owned and run by a Charles Hawtrey look-alike and a woman who purportedly was his sister. They were either twins, or it was the same person, dressing differently on different days. I have no recollection of ever seeing them together at the same time !!
When the shop bell went (under the mat), he used to flounce down the steps from the living area, with one hand in an elevated 'limp-wristed pose' and speak in the sweetest of voices, always with his nose in the air. A real character.

A bit further along was the old pawnbrokers, 3 large balls hanging down from above the shop window !!

'Camera Corner' was opposite the Clock Face, the corset shop and Duncan Foster confectioners further along.

Opposite was the Co-op tobacconists where you could buy an ounce of dark shag !!

BM rainwear and the coal merchant shared the same building on the corner, opposite Duncan Foster's cake shop/bakers.

Talking of Bamford's on Cheetham Street, I used to go to their restaurant for my dinners from school. Potato pie and mushy peas was 9d. Bloody lovely. Cheaper than a meat and potato from Burneys at tenpence ha'penny.

Westons WAS two different people-at least by 1973. Their shop belonged to my paperround and I used to order my "Purnells history of WW11"specials at their place. When Rochdale market was being built a lot of shops got moved into containers. So it was with Westons. Description of mannerisms was good...
Login to get fewer ads

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:22 - Nov 12 with 5972 viewsgreenhill666

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:48 - Apr 24 by judd

Black Sedan Records

Oh yes..The Black sedan. The Day culture came to Rochdale. Along with Tractor Music...
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:27 - Nov 12 with 5967 viewsgreenhill666

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:31 - Apr 25 by LongTimeDaleFan

Greenhill School - reunion last Saturday but Dale came first!
Standing on the Hill at Spotland changing ends at halftime
all the roundabouts on Manchester Road and in the Town Centre full of flowers in Summer and evergreens in Winter curtesy of Rochdale Parks Department
Sitting in front of the bowlibng green at Dane Street
Making teas at Fieldhouse cc and playing cards in the pavilion after the match
Dances at St Lukes Church Deeplish,the Town Hall and the Carlton
Regal and Kings Cinemas
Beating Coventry
I couldnt open the link to the Bus but I immediately thought of the Blue and cream buses
Getting off the Number 1 bus from Queensway and walking across the Town Centre to catch a bus up to Spotland and many more before reorganisation and the Metro
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

You went to Greenhill,too?
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:50 - Nov 12 with 5936 viewsseasidedale

the penny railway in the model shop window
sunday afternoon football on cronkershaw common.
syke pond
Saturday morning pictures at the old ABC
The old library
buying ex juke box singles at Bradleys record stall on the outside market
supporters club meetings at the spread eagle
the wellington
queing at saturday teatime for the pink
chicken noodle soup nd horlicks tablets at rochdale baths
falinge park
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:07 - Nov 12 with 5918 viewsD_Alien

Is this a record for a thread being resuscitated, after 4 and a half years?

It's like a trip down memory lane in itself!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:56 - Nov 12 with 5887 viewsrobtheb

Night school at Rochdale Tech then into San Remo on Drake Street.
Treacle toffee off the guy in the market who didn't have a tooth in his head!
Mr Warburton measuring you up for a new suit at Burton's.
Number 1 single decker bus to Cassy.
Stott's petrol station in Castleton. Served over the pavement.
Tom the copper, goalkeeper for Tweedale & Smalley's.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:44 - Nov 13 with 5851 viewsShun

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:07 - Nov 12 by D_Alien

Is this a record for a thread being resuscitated, after 4 and a half years?

It's like a trip down memory lane in itself!

Is there a way of checking the year of a post? I've never known!
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 07:48 - Nov 13 with 5770 viewsD_Alien

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:44 - Nov 13 by Shun

Is there a way of checking the year of a post? I've never known!

The full date stamp, in this case 24 Apr 2013, appears in the thread list if the year isn't the current one* - something i didn't know either until this thread reappeared!

* or perhaps, if a thread is more than 12 months old

[Post edited 13 Nov 2017 7:59]

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 11:18 - Nov 13 with 5685 viewsjustanillusion

The shop on Yorkshire St which was the place to buy computer games circa 1982, seem to remember it was next door to 'Animal magic' the pet shop, anyone help me with name?
Also loved spending Saturday mornings at childrens library ( now part of touchstones) searching out all the Tintin and Asterix books
Loved Bojangles nightclub in my teens, Thursday night student night £1 a bottle :)
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:08 - Nov 13 with 5545 viewskiwidale

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 07:48 - Nov 13 by D_Alien

The full date stamp, in this case 24 Apr 2013, appears in the thread list if the year isn't the current one* - something i didn't know either until this thread reappeared!

* or perhaps, if a thread is more than 12 months old

[Post edited 13 Nov 2017 7:59]

if you look back at any post from the original thread that was edited it states

post edited Jan 1 1970

which is 25 years before tinternet was invented.

This is not the time for bickering.

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:00 - Nov 13 with 5498 viewspioneer

The programme shop on Cheetham Street run by some of the folks from the 'original' supporters club (Jimmy Schofield, who was a postman, and others)

Cricket at Dane Steet
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:17 - Nov 13 with 5483 viewssykeboy

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:00 - Nov 13 by pioneer

The programme shop on Cheetham Street run by some of the folks from the 'original' supporters club (Jimmy Schofield, who was a postman, and others)

Cricket at Dane Steet

Cricket at Dane Street & Fieldhouse on Whitworth Road ...happy days
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:51 - Nov 13 with 5460 viewsEllDale

Not to mention cricket at Castleton Moor.....
Miniature Hovis loaves from Grahams bakers on Oldham Road
Going down Park Road at Heybrook as a toddler to feed the ducks
The old inside market with those heavy external doors
Franny Hall hanging around the drivers rest room on the Butts
Walking up to Lenny Barn for schools football
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:29 - Nov 13 with 5407 viewsKenBoon

KitKat machine in Cassy Baths.
--nothing could top that--
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:30 - Nov 13 with 5407 viewsD_Alien

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:08 - Nov 13 by kiwidale

if you look back at any post from the original thread that was edited it states

post edited Jan 1 1970

which is 25 years before tinternet was invented.

Now that is weird...

Because i've had a check in the "tomorrow can't come quick enough" thread on the previous page which was started in 2015, and the edit date/times in there are legit!

I'm guessing there's been a change of website format between 2013 and 2015?

And just to confirm from my earlier post, the posts up to the end of December 2016 have the full date included

(I'm sure this is fascinating nobody!)

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:38 - Nov 13 with 5391 viewsrobtheb

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:29 - Nov 13 by KenBoon

KitKat machine in Cassy Baths.
--nothing could top that--

Arthur Norman.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:45 - Nov 13 with 5381 viewsfirgrovedale51

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:18 - Apr 26 by daledaft

The Firgrove Childrens Picnic ran in the 60s and 70s.
Once a year a coach load of kids from the area went on a day trip to the seaside (Blackpool,Southport or New Brighton.)
Never did find out who organised it or more important how it was paid for,
great days out though.
Jubbly's now called calypso's but were far larger back then, or was it because i was far smaller ?
The CB club at the RAOB club on Milnrow Rd in the early 80s.
Clackers. 2 Glass balls that clacked togetherat high speed if you were good at it. How they didnt shatter and damage my face/eyes i dont know, they were banned quite quickly if i remember right.

I used to go on the Firgrove Childrens picnic a great day out and a little packet with a few bob in `our wages' can you imagine taking kids to New Brighton now?
They used to collect house to house round Firgrove for it, all the men were volunteers I remember there being 4 coaches. ( I think)
[Post edited 13 Nov 2017 19:48]
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:53 - Nov 13 with 5372 viewsArthurDaley

Long hot summers.
Playing football on Heybrook field, until it went dark late on.
Long cold winters, it didn't seem to bother us then.
Playing knock a door run.
Collecting bonfire wood for the Oswald St bonfire.
Having to go to Sunday School at St James's. ( only realised later Sunday afternoon was parents nookie afternoon.
Walking with the scholars. Probably every church in Rochdale was in the parade, ended with a service on the town hall square .
Being late for school Heybrook, and we lived facing it.
The Herb shop, on the corner of Halifax Rd and Hamer lane, you had to watch your change if the bloke was serving.

A large VAT Dave

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024