Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. 20:42 - Apr 24 with 104273 viewsDale57

What things and places have a special place in your Rochdale childhood.........
Some of mine are
Brights nursery on whitwoth rd
Heybrook school
Howarth cross
Football and sports against other schools around Rochdale
Rochdale baths
ABC cinema
Holingworth lake
Fair on cattle market (now cop shop)
Ashy valley flats
Loads more.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:11 - Nov 13 with 3825 viewskiwidale

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:38 - Nov 13 by robtheb

Arthur Norman.

Authur Norman topped the kitkat machine? surely not.

This is not the time for bickering.

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:35 - Nov 13 with 3805 viewssoulboy

Only a couple of weeks ago i was trying to convince my cousin a few of us went to a Chinese restaurant on Newgate in 1969/70, i was starting to think it was a dream. Other memories, apologies if theyve been mentioned.... Koh I Noor Indian restaurant next to the ambulance station on Drake St, always packed out every Sun at 2am!
Ernest Goggins removals office on Halifax Rd Smallbridge, with a large plastic rocket in the window with Ernest Goggins removals printed on the side.
The bus depot on Mellor St where they did MOTs, "Now son if you promise me youll sort the brakes out as soon as you can Ill pass it now!"
Granada TVs On Site, broadcast live every week from a North West town.
The day it was in Rochdale, the old cattle market was packed, and as usual sat in the warm studio were the relevant council officials with TV presenter, the surly Bill Grundy. Outside, with hundreds of baying locals was the voice of the people, Ray Gosling. Every few minutes Grundy would shout "Gosling, control that crowd, theyre getting out of hand!"
Dads and Lads barbers on Baillie St.
From 1969 until probably 1972, nearly every visiting team had a fair few skinheads amongst their support, or in the case of Luton in Apr 1970 a few thousand!
Tiffs Mon nights, Chambers Weds and Saturday.
Without doubt they were happy days and Rochdale was a great place to grow up in.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:45 - Nov 13 with 3796 viewswindowsbug

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:00 - Apr 24 by 442Dale

The sheep are still there.

Great call on the Little Gem buses, when they first started running the reaction amongst the locals of Norden was akin to Biff and co seeing Marty McFly on a hoverboard.

From various eras:
Football at Lenny Barn
Madison's
Norden CC's steaming grass pile
Oulder Hill red-gra
The old Ratcliffe Arms

I also remember the grass pile at Norden CC.
My dad played for them in the 60's and 70's
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:18 - Nov 13 with 3763 viewsrobtheb

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:11 - Nov 13 by kiwidale

Authur Norman topped the kitkat machine? surely not.

Possibly...Bit of a lad was Arthur!
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 07:52 - Nov 14 with 3673 viewsEllDale

Playing 5-a-side at Broadwater YC
The noise of steam trains shunting away in the small hours hours of morning
Playing footie on St Josephs school fields off Kingsway
Arthur White with his black peas tricycle and ringing his handbell
And I was going to mention the Chambers in the Town Hall as well. How the hell did they ever get approval for that? packed full of kids with only one way in/out?
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 11:02 - Nov 14 with 3599 viewsD_Alien

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 07:52 - Nov 14 by EllDale

Playing 5-a-side at Broadwater YC
The noise of steam trains shunting away in the small hours hours of morning
Playing footie on St Josephs school fields off Kingsway
Arthur White with his black peas tricycle and ringing his handbell
And I was going to mention the Chambers in the Town Hall as well. How the hell did they ever get approval for that? packed full of kids with only one way in/out?

Chambers was like our equivalent of the Cavern Club - without soontobe world famous bands playing, of course

Approval not required in those days

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 11:04 - Nov 14 with 3596 viewsmingthemerciless

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:18 - Nov 13 by robtheb

Possibly...Bit of a lad was Arthur!

I remember him going around the Athletic Grounds running track at half time with the winning numbers for the half time draw or what ever it was.

He used to shout " First prize, a game of snooker with Jeremy Thorpe ". I was only a lad and this was way before the Jeremy Thorpe story became public knowledge. I thought " What's he on about ? "
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 11:47 - Nov 14 with 3561 viewsEllDale

There was another bloke called Walker used to do the same job at different times at Hornets.
he used to shout out, "Any more for the Pennine Queen" when selling his tickets.
I wonder now if that was a double entendre as well!
Login to get fewer ads

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 11:56 - Nov 14 with 3546 viewschalkyncfc

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:51 - Nov 13 by EllDale

Not to mention cricket at Castleton Moor.....
Miniature Hovis loaves from Grahams bakers on Oldham Road
Going down Park Road at Heybrook as a toddler to feed the ducks
The old inside market with those heavy external doors
Franny Hall hanging around the drivers rest room on the Butts
Walking up to Lenny Barn for schools football

Franny Hall?
I've heard her name being mentioned before on a couple of other threads,who exactly was she?
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:32 - Nov 14 with 3463 viewsfirgrovedale51

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 11:56 - Nov 14 by chalkyncfc

Franny Hall?
I've heard her name being mentioned before on a couple of other threads,who exactly was she?

Just a local vicars daughter that most men desired after but she was very particular who she shared her feelings with
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:38 - Nov 14 with 3457 viewschalkyncfc

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:32 - Nov 14 by firgrovedale51

Just a local vicars daughter that most men desired after but she was very particular who she shared her feelings with

Did she support Dale or something?
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:44 - Nov 14 with 3426 viewsD_Alien

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:38 - Nov 14 by chalkyncfc

Did she support Dale or something?

Yes, she gave her everything to Dale

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:39 - Nov 14 with 3386 viewsDaveButt

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:44 - Nov 14 by D_Alien

Yes, she gave her everything to Dale

Franny Hall, bus driver/conductors companion. They recon she had everyone and even the Facit Chimney, god was she a big boiling piece.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:18 - Nov 14 with 3347 viewsrobtheb

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 11:04 - Nov 14 by mingthemerciless

I remember him going around the Athletic Grounds running track at half time with the winning numbers for the half time draw or what ever it was.

He used to shout " First prize, a game of snooker with Jeremy Thorpe ". I was only a lad and this was way before the Jeremy Thorpe story became public knowledge. I thought " What's he on about ? "

As kid's in Castleton a gang of us use to go camping in the field next to Tweedale and Smalley's football pitches during summer hols from school.

One night someone shouted that Arthur was on his way....never seen tents pulled down so quick!

He worked at Cassy baths as an attendant and I believe he was a very good boxer.......both with and without gloves!! if you know what I mean
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 03:29 - Nov 15 with 3261 viewsdownunder

Awesome thread this, worth re visiting.. Some of these memories have been triggered by previous posts.
As a young kid-Stonyfield watching the trains.
My Gran's house on the corner of Milkstone Rd and Tweedale St.
Church steps behind the Town Hall.
As a teenager- late night sledging Plumpton Farm
Haymaking at Plumpton Farm
Non stop football at Gravelhole in the school holidays
Meeting at the Flying Horse before a night out.
Open air concerts at the Town Hall.(Cannot recall the bands now)
Recording at Tractor Music.
Balderstone School...especially 6th Form.
Trying to tick off every pub in Rochdale during one month. 4 of us, with a rota for being the designated driver. All of us still under age (apart from when we would Pub crawl a road, such as the Oldham Road Pub crawl)
Fun Runs
Tropical Club
OB Bitter.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 5:11]
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 09:38 - Nov 15 with 3182 viewsmingthemerciless

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 03:29 - Nov 15 by downunder

Awesome thread this, worth re visiting.. Some of these memories have been triggered by previous posts.
Trying to tick off every pub in Rochdale during one month. 4 of us, with a rota for being the designated driver. All of us still under age (apart from when we would Pub crawl a road, such as the Oldham Road Pub crawl)
Fun Runs
Tropical Club
OB Bitter.

I played a few times on Stoneyfield. One time we got changed in sombodies garage. One of the other times we got changed in the cellar of a pub. I hated playing there, it was always bumpy, un-even and usually pretty bare down the middle by March. The pitches were quite small as well.

Anybody who could do the business with Franny Hall was a better man than me. The expression " Wizard's Sleeve " comes to mind. I remember seeing her up at Dale home games lots of times back then.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 09:57 - Nov 15 with 3173 viewsfirgrovedale51

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 09:38 - Nov 15 by mingthemerciless

I played a few times on Stoneyfield. One time we got changed in sombodies garage. One of the other times we got changed in the cellar of a pub. I hated playing there, it was always bumpy, un-even and usually pretty bare down the middle by March. The pitches were quite small as well.

Anybody who could do the business with Franny Hall was a better man than me. The expression " Wizard's Sleeve " comes to mind. I remember seeing her up at Dale home games lots of times back then.

Or a Horse`s Collar
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 10:29 - Nov 15 with 3147 viewsjudd

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 09:57 - Nov 15 by firgrovedale51

Or a Horse`s Collar

Like pushing a chip up Oldham Road.

Or waving a fag in the Albert, erm, Hall.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:05 - Nov 15 with 3137 viewssykeboy

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 03:29 - Nov 15 by downunder

Fun Runs
Tropical Club
OB Bitter.

Wow Tropical club they don’t make em like that anymore
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:05 - Nov 15 with 3137 viewsmingthemerciless

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:35 - Nov 13 by soulboy

Only a couple of weeks ago i was trying to convince my cousin a few of us went to a Chinese restaurant on Newgate in 1969/70, i was starting to think it was a dream. Other memories, apologies if theyve been mentioned.... Koh I Noor Indian restaurant next to the ambulance station on Drake St, always packed out every Sun at 2am!
Ernest Goggins removals office on Halifax Rd Smallbridge, with a large plastic rocket in the window with Ernest Goggins removals printed on the side.
The bus depot on Mellor St where they did MOTs, "Now son if you promise me youll sort the brakes out as soon as you can Ill pass it now!"
Granada TVs On Site, broadcast live every week from a North West town.
The day it was in Rochdale, the old cattle market was packed, and as usual sat in the warm studio were the relevant council officials with TV presenter, the surly Bill Grundy. Outside, with hundreds of baying locals was the voice of the people, Ray Gosling. Every few minutes Grundy would shout "Gosling, control that crowd, theyre getting out of hand!"
Dads and Lads barbers on Baillie St.
From 1969 until probably 1972, nearly every visiting team had a fair few skinheads amongst their support, or in the case of Luton in Apr 1970 a few thousand!
Tiffs Mon nights, Chambers Weds and Saturday.
Without doubt they were happy days and Rochdale was a great place to grow up in.

There was a Chinese restaurant on Newgate.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:17 - Nov 15 with 3125 viewschalkyncfc

So was Franny Hall a prozzy then or just a local girl
How old was she back in the 70/80's,she must have been quite a character to be remembered after all this time
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:19 - Nov 15 with 3122 viewsD_Alien

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:17 - Nov 15 by chalkyncfc

How old was she back in the 70/80's,she must have been quite a character to be remembered after all this time

If there was a scientific method for aging fannies, about 157

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:28 - Nov 15 with 3106 viewsmingthemerciless

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:17 - Nov 15 by chalkyncfc

I think she'd " lost her amateur status " unfortunately, but I wouldn't have thought her charges would have been too eccessive.
I can remember her from the 60's when she'd be around 30 ish I suppose, maybe a little bit younger. She was a big girl in a micro mini skirt. The guys who did that " Fat Slags " cartoon strip in Viz must have used her as their inspiration.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 13:26]
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:47 - Nov 15 with 3084 viewsfirgrovedale51

She lived in Whitworth and it is said she had sex with her brother Elvis and they went into a greenhouse so they would not be seen .
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:54 - Nov 15 with 3079 viewschalkyncfc

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:28 - Nov 15 by mingthemerciless

I think she'd " lost her amateur status " unfortunately, but I wouldn't have thought her charges would have been too eccessive.
I can remember her from the 60's when she'd be around 30 ish I suppose, maybe a little bit younger. She was a big girl in a micro mini skirt. The guys who did that " Fat Slags " cartoon strip in Viz must have used her as their inspiration.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 13:26]

Wow,she sounds like a fearsome character, I would have loved to have met her,I bet that that would have had loads of stories to tell about her life
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024