Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stephen Dawson 11:42 - Jan 16 with 8041 viewsdale18

Stephen Dawson still looking for answers despite having his name cleared

Midfielder happy nine-month nightmare over ‘spot-fixing’ allegations is over

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/stephen-dawson-still-looki
Stephen Dawson on 12:07 - Jan 16 with 6694 viewsD_Alien

Gives us an insight into what was happening around the time he signed for us. Seem to recall there were protracted negotiations which some people took as a sign he wasn't that keen.

Clearly sees himself as a championship player. Stick with us, Stephen!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Stephen Dawson on 12:11 - Jan 16 with 6662 viewsMoonyDale

Stephen Dawson on 12:07 - Jan 16 by D_Alien

Gives us an insight into what was happening around the time he signed for us. Seem to recall there were protracted negotiations which some people took as a sign he wasn't that keen.

Absolutely love Dawson in our midfield, wouldn't swap him for anyone. Clearly this had rightly been playing on his mind when he first signed and you wouldn't want to be the Crawley midfield tomorrow now he can take to the field with his name cleared.....As you say D_Alien "Stick with us" Help us get you back into the championship......

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Stephen Dawson on 13:33 - Jan 16 with 6392 viewsoddjob007

Need to get him signed up for at least another season ASAP. Sounds like now this has gone away he could be even more of an asset, than he already is, for the latter part of the season and bigger clubs could come calling in the summer when he is a free agent.

You would like to hope that maybe he feels he owes Keith something for believing in him in the summer and repaying him by staying for another season.
Stephen Dawson on 14:28 - Jan 16 with 6253 viewsWhiteyBFC

Never doubted the bloke on this allegation.

Never convinced he was a good footballer though.

However, I think he'd have done a job for us this season. Fingers crossed the lad Scowen can add the bite and tenacity to our midfield that Daws always brought us, despite his limitations on or with the ball.

And I hope he clears his name properly, as right now it's clear the allegations have been dropped based on the fake sheikh's previous lies.
Stephen Dawson on 14:36 - Jan 16 with 6210 viewsPDIDDY

Stephen Dawson on 14:28 - Jan 16 by WhiteyBFC

However, I think he'd have done a job for us this season. Fingers crossed the lad Scowen can add the bite and tenacity to our midfield that Daws always brought us, despite his limitations on or with the ball.

And I hope he clears his name properly, as right now it's clear the allegations have been dropped based on the fake sheikh's previous lies.

He was top drawer for us, god we could do with him now, etuhu is wa nk

Gissa job

Stephen Dawson on 17:02 - Jan 16 with 5997 viewsTommoRAFC

Stephen Dawson on 14:28 - Jan 16 by WhiteyBFC

Scowen looks a top signing, you're building a good squad on paper at the moment!

Poll: Who will play in place of Done on Saturday?

Stephen Dawson on 18:15 - Jan 16 with 5831 viewsboffley

Stephen Dawson on 12:07 - Jan 16 by D_Alien

Was chatting with him before the Nottingham Forrest game. He was saying how much he was enjoying himself at The Dale and what a good club it was. Here's hoping he sticks around for a while.
Stephen Dawson on 20:29 - Jan 16 with 5630 viewsWhiteyBFC

Stephen Dawson on 14:36 - Jan 16 by PDIDDY

He was top drawer for us, god we could do with him now, etuhu is wa nk

Kelvin is a shit footballer despite have so many positive attributes and the perfect physique. He was usually gash for us, but very occasionally he played like Vieira. Seriously.
Login to get fewer ads

Stephen Dawson on 20:33 - Jan 16 with 5621 viewsWhiteyBFC

Stephen Dawson on 17:02 - Jan 16 by TommoRAFC

Scowen looks a top signing, you're building a good squad on paper at the moment!

The XI that ended the 2-0 win against Yeovil last weekend was the youngest in our 128 year history. It's exciting, brave and a strategy that has been a long time coming. I just hope the board stick with it through this transitional stage.

Danny did a similar job in his last spell here. It took him three seasons to achieve the dream. I think if anyone warrants a bit of patience it's him.

Good luck to you lot tomorrow.
Stephen Dawson on 20:51 - Jan 16 with 5567 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Stephen Dawson on 20:33 - Jan 16 by WhiteyBFC

The XI that ended the 2-0 win against Yeovil last weekend was the youngest in our 128 year history. It's exciting, brave and a strategy that has been a long time coming. I just hope the board stick with it through this transitional stage.

Danny did a similar job in his last spell here. It took him three seasons to achieve the dream. I think if anyone warrants a bit of patience it's him.

Trust the kids Whitey lad......just like we are doing.

....and they did n't let us down.
Stephen Dawson on 22:09 - Jan 16 with 5391 viewsPDIDDY

Stephen Dawson on 20:29 - Jan 16 by WhiteyBFC

Kelvin is a shit footballer despite have so many positive attributes and the perfect physique. He was usually gash for us, but very occasionally he played like Vieira. Seriously.

Viera duckworth?

Gissa job

Stephen Dawson on 23:13 - Jan 16 with 5303 viewsWhiteyBFC

Guardian interview is better.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/16/stephen-dawson-match-fixing
Stephen Dawson on 23:44 - Jan 16 with 5275 viewsD_Alien

Stephen Dawson on 20:33 - Jan 16 by WhiteyBFC

Don't you think that's just a bit ironic whitey?

Given that Keith Hill's intent was to do exactly the same thing, which he's now doing with us?

Your loss, our gain.

Except - we deserve him, Barnsley didn't.

[Post edited 16 Jan 2015 23:46]

Stephen Dawson on 00:41 - Jan 17 with 5222 viewsSwissdale

Stephen Dawson on 23:13 - Jan 16 by WhiteyBFC

Guardian interview is better.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/16/stephen-dawson-match-fixing

Great read. Dawson is a fantastic player, and with the long term injury of Lund, crucial to us for the remainder of the season.

The last paragraph of that article got me very excited.
Stephen Dawson on 08:05 - Jan 17 with 5114 viewsfitzochris

Judging from his brother's tweets, this clearly affected Dawson more than we realised. Glad his name has been cleared.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Stephen Dawson on 22:15 - Jan 19 with 4787 viewsStudiousDale

BBC have picked up on the story now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30886004

"With my reputation in ruins I was left with no club or contract in the summer and if it was not for Keith Hill (Rochdale manager) and Rochdale football club I don't know where I would be now."
Stephen Dawson on 22:21 - Jan 19 with 4759 views49thseason

Doesn't this give Dawson the opportunity to sue the Sun on Sunday for Libel?
I didn't see the original article but if he was named....
Stephen Dawson on 22:29 - Jan 19 with 4712 viewsD_Dale

Stephen Dawson on 22:15 - Jan 19 by StudiousDale

"With my reputation in ruins I was left with no club or contract in the summer and if it was not for Keith Hill (Rochdale manager) and Rochdale football club I don't know where I would be now."

Says he now wants to get on with his career, but doesn't quite hint that he'd want to stay with Dale. http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/a-statement-from-stephen-dawson-221311
Stephen Dawson on 23:55 - Jan 19 with 4593 viewsWhiteyBFC

Stephen Dawson on 22:15 - Jan 19 by StudiousDale

He'd have been at Oakwell, the forgetful fcuker.

We offered him a 2 year deal.

He thanks Danny for standing by him, by then rejecting him, thinking he'd get a Championship club. The reason he didn't? Nothing to do with the allegation and all to do with him being shite at football in the Championship.

League One is his level. He'd have been ideal (in terms of what he can do on the pitch) for us this season. But I suppose he made the right move, back to the manager he got on with before and to a club local to him where the fans weren't on his back. So aye, I can see both sides.

But come on. The nonsense quote of 'poor me' above is bollocks. He had a club/contract on the table. No need to play that card at all.

He always, ALWAYS gave his all for my club. I respected him for that. Under Keith in 2012, he played quite well for us, committed, 100% etc. And despite this nonsense he's come out with, I hope he has a fine end to his career and I do have huge sympathy for him, being accused of something he didn't do. I'd hate that to happen to me.

Just no need for the nonsense.
Stephen Dawson on 00:14 - Jan 20 with 4567 viewsWhiteyBFC

Stephen Dawson on 23:44 - Jan 16 by D_Alien

Don't you think that's just a bit ironic whitey?

Given that Keith Hill's intent was to do exactly the same thing, which he's now doing with us?

Your loss, our gain.

Except - we deserve him, Barnsley didn't.

[Post edited 16 Jan 2015 23:46]

The board wanted Keith to implement a similar strategy, aye. But in the Championship. However, he wasn't blooding the kids to be honest. Butterfield was already a first teamer. He never gave RNL a chance. And his signings weren't young kids. He just recruited lots of lads he'd managed before or lads who'd done well for Bury/Stockport against Dale.

So it was similar. He had to work with a hugely reduced budget. He had to sign risks, gambles, broken toys. He nearly pulled it off, until the board shafted him over Vaz Te, Butterfield and then we had an injury crisis of silly proportions.
He got a lot right initially. But his conflict with our former CEO took its toll. He also made whopping errors. He could have signed Trippier, but admitted that he thought Wiseman was the better and cheaper option. That worked well. He then kept picking Scotty not so Hotty in an attempt to prove a point. It was a big reason for his dismissal.

We had to remove him. He'd lost his marbles, the plot, everything. Believe what you want, but that's the honest truth. I say that as his biggest advocate at the time. He had to go. His relationship with the fanbase was unreal. You've seen how he reacts, even this season. Imagine him reacting, but EVERY week, because you're losing EVERY game....

Because we ended up being relegated a year later anyway, yep, you could say we may as well have stuck it out. Yep. Perhaps. I think he'd have been better set, under this CEO, in this division, with the blank piece of paper and budget Danny has had. Definitely. But it didn't work out like that.

None of what went off is relevant to his time now at Dale. He'll have learned. Improved things. And he's clearly a great L2 manager and possibly L1. His achievements at Dale are fantastic. For Dale fans, he's a bloody legend. He's given you your best ever era. Halcyon days.

But so did Danny here. Hence the support/patience he'll receive from me, always. Because he's our legend and what he achieved will never be replicated. We only hope he can stabilize the club, lay the foundations, and that we can slowly rebuild and regain. We might have to move him on to do so, but for now, this season for certain, he's following a clear strategy.

We'll win some, lose some more often and draw a few. We'll have a team full of kids. Followed by crowds second only to Sheff Utd. Who deserve better. But unfortunately, as is the modern norm, not all of our fans are as patient and understanding as I am.

They want everything, and they want it yesterday.
Stephen Dawson on 06:43 - Jan 20 with 4498 viewsaleanddale

Stephen Dawson on 00:14 - Jan 20 by WhiteyBFC

The board wanted Keith to implement a similar strategy, aye. But in the Championship. However, he wasn't blooding the kids to be honest. Butterfield was already a first teamer. He never gave RNL a chance. And his signings weren't young kids. He just recruited lots of lads he'd managed before or lads who'd done well for Bury/Stockport against Dale.

So it was similar. He had to work with a hugely reduced budget. He had to sign risks, gambles, broken toys. He nearly pulled it off, until the board shafted him over Vaz Te, Butterfield and then we had an injury crisis of silly proportions.
He got a lot right initially. But his conflict with our former CEO took its toll. He also made whopping errors. He could have signed Trippier, but admitted that he thought Wiseman was the better and cheaper option. That worked well. He then kept picking Scotty not so Hotty in an attempt to prove a point. It was a big reason for his dismissal.

We had to remove him. He'd lost his marbles, the plot, everything. Believe what you want, but that's the honest truth. I say that as his biggest advocate at the time. He had to go. His relationship with the fanbase was unreal. You've seen how he reacts, even this season. Imagine him reacting, but EVERY week, because you're losing EVERY game....

Because we ended up being relegated a year later anyway, yep, you could say we may as well have stuck it out. Yep. Perhaps. I think he'd have been better set, under this CEO, in this division, with the blank piece of paper and budget Danny has had. Definitely. But it didn't work out like that.

None of what went off is relevant to his time now at Dale. He'll have learned. Improved things. And he's clearly a great L2 manager and possibly L1. His achievements at Dale are fantastic. For Dale fans, he's a bloody legend. He's given you your best ever era. Halcyon days.

But so did Danny here. Hence the support/patience he'll receive from me, always. Because he's our legend and what he achieved will never be replicated. We only hope he can stabilize the club, lay the foundations, and that we can slowly rebuild and regain. We might have to move him on to do so, but for now, this season for certain, he's following a clear strategy.

We'll win some, lose some more often and draw a few. We'll have a team full of kids. Followed by crowds second only to Sheff Utd. Who deserve better. But unfortunately, as is the modern norm, not all of our fans are as patient and understanding as I am.

Barnsleys loss most definitely Dales gain.
Stephen Dawson on 08:52 - Jan 20 with 4391 viewsfitzochris

I think we can all agree Keith Hill is not the perfect individual. After all, remember when he left us to join you, our chairman said he felt “let down” by the way the whole carry on was conducted.

But we’re not here to be Hilly’s pal or moral judge. The man manages our football club and he does it rather well.

Just the other day, me and my good friend were reminiscing (if you can call it that) about trips to Plainmoor and Springfield Park where the scoreline always seemed to be a 4-1 reversal, during which we attempted to play football in the heavens (not as romantic as it sounds).

Yes, Steve Parkin (remember him?) came and raised hopes and expectations (and made the club a lot of money) but ultimately it came to naught. After a season of Paul Simpson (FA Cup run aside), I climbed over Hadrian’s Wall a dejected soul, thinking that, with Parkin, left any hope I had of seeing Dale promoted in my lifetime. The odd trip back home to watch us with Buckley at the helm only reaffirmed that belief.

So who knew our former centre half come youth team coach would go on to revolutionise the club and give fans like me the chance to see Dale play at a higher level? For that he rightly deserves his legendary status at this club. Not just for the achievement but for the way he set about it — the phrases he has coined, such as ‘broken toys’ and ‘I don’t believe in debt, I don’t even have a credit card’.

So, yeah, he might not be the perfect individual (moaning about the fans and so on) but he’s a hell of a football manager.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2015 9:08]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Stephen Dawson on 09:26 - Jan 20 with 4332 viewsTVOS1907

Bradford, Bristol City, Coventry, Preston AND Sheffield United all currently have average home crowds higher than Barnsley.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Stephen Dawson on 11:38 - Jan 20 with 4244 viewsD_Alien

I can agree with you regarding his reaction to defeats, something which I've had occasion to comment on recently but which in no way detracts from his legendary status as manager of the Dale - the club on which everyone had given up hope of ever acheiving anything above the truly mediocre.

Some people then jump on you with the "don't you realise what he's done for the Dale how dare you criticise blah blah" nonsense - as if - as a supporter for 50 years, I didn't. But I digress.

I'm glad he went to Barnsley, because it's given him a perspective on managing at a higher level which now puts him in a much better place. It's no surprise that former players want to play for him, and Stephen Dawson is of a standard which for the best part of 40 years we could only dream of having in our midfield.

Hilly's found a club where the board truly understand and appreciate what he's about and most importantly, Hilly now understands their philosophy of never putting our survival in jeopardy by spending a penny we can't budget for and adopting a much more savvy selling policy.

For whatever reason, thank goodness the board and general run of supporters at Barnsley gave up on him.

[Post edited 20 Jan 2015 11:53]

Stephen Dawson on 20:45 - Jan 20 with 3999 viewsWhiteyBFC

Stephen Dawson on 09:26 - Jan 20 by TVOS1907

Bradford, Bristol City, Coventry, Preston AND Sheffield United all currently have average home crowds higher than Barnsley.

I was referring to away crowds. I should have made that a bit clearer, my apologies.

Bradford can piss off though, they give season tickets away, literally.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024