Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton 17:03 - Oct 10 with 2308 viewsEllDale

80 years old this week.

Does anyone else remember when he guested for Tommy Docherty's Derby County side when they came to Spotland for a fundraising friendly?

Charlton smashed a screamer against the crossbar from outside the box at the Pearl Street end and I swear the rebound nearly reached halfway!

Shame we haven't got players like him available for England these days......
Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 17:19 - Oct 10 with 2292 viewsjudd

Superb documentary about him shown on BBC on Sunday night.

Christ, could he hit a ball, either foot.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 17:30 - Oct 10 with 2278 viewsmikehunt

I'm sure he scored a winner/equaliser for us. I can see now, the Derby defence parting like the Red Sea to let him through. What an absolute honour.
And I thought the occasion was to open a new stand (?) But, yes, a privilege to have seen him in a Dale shirt. I wonder who pulled those strings back then, to make that happen?

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 17:35 - Oct 10 with 2269 viewsD_Alien

Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 17:30 - Oct 10 by mikehunt

I'm sure he scored a winner/equaliser for us. I can see now, the Derby defence parting like the Red Sea to let him through. What an absolute honour.
And I thought the occasion was to open a new stand (?) But, yes, a privilege to have seen him in a Dale shirt. I wonder who pulled those strings back then, to make that happen?

It was getting late on in the game and since he hadn't scored (which is what everyone had come to see) he was provided with an unchallenged shot from the edge of the box which duly flew into the Pearl St net

My other memory of that game was one of our players taking a swipe at the ball as it rolled across him and missing completely. Whilst the action moved on, Bobby ran alongside the player and gave him a demo of how to do it, much to everyone's amusement. Think it might've been Bobby Scaife, but not sure

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 18:15 - Oct 10 with 2226 viewsE_Bearshaw

Saw him in Wilbutts Lane Chippy once. Think it was around the time I was doing work experience at the club. Someone told me he was filming an advert nearby.
Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 18:55 - Oct 10 with 2172 viewsdingdangblue

I could watch this goal on repeat for ever.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 19:03 - Oct 10 with 2162 views1mark1

One of The greatest footballers of all time, and a great servant to football.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 19:34 - Oct 10 with 2130 viewsfrenzied

Never to be surpassed in what he has given to the game of football,always acknowledges the talents of those he had alongside him also at club and national level on and off the pitch

Was he ever sent off?
Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 21:25 - Oct 10 with 2064 viewsdownunder

Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 19:34 - Oct 10 by frenzied

Never to be surpassed in what he has given to the game of football,always acknowledges the talents of those he had alongside him also at club and national level on and off the pitch

Was he ever sent off?

Think I read that he was never booked. I have a video of him and Giggs coaching young players at Spotland. His contribution off the field since he stopped playing has been magnificent, he deserves all accolades that are given.
Login to get fewer ads

Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 22:32 - Oct 10 with 2009 viewsDiddyDave

A great footballer and ambassador for the game. His countless goals for United and England remarkable and all very special. He visited Dale quite often when Uncle Stan was playing back in the early sixties,Tuesday night games,when the Reds didn`t have a game.
He did get booked once,think it was a Charity Shield game against Tottenham. The ref told him to take a free kick,but Bobby refused as the Spurs players were clearly not ten yards away and it became a bit of an impasse. In the end,the ref (think it was Bill McHale from Sheffield) brought out his little black book and the game continued. The 1968 European Cup Final,when he scored twice,was his pinnacle,the look on Matt Busby`s face as Bobby raised the Cup said it all.
Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 22:35 - Oct 10 with 2005 viewsDaleiLama

Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 18:55 - Oct 10 by dingdangblue

I could watch this goal on repeat for ever.

Bit like some of Scholes shots. They never seemed to hit it that hard but the ball was contacted so sweetly it gave the illusion of picking up pace and still rising, but still hitting the target. The greats always make things look easy. It's what makes them great.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 22:50 - Oct 10 with 1984 viewsdingdangblue

Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 22:35 - Oct 10 by DaleiLama

Bit like some of Scholes shots. They never seemed to hit it that hard but the ball was contacted so sweetly it gave the illusion of picking up pace and still rising, but still hitting the target. The greats always make things look easy. It's what makes them great.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 22:51 - Oct 10 with 1980 viewsTVOS1907

He also played at Spotland in a Fred Ratcliffe All Stars match in December 1982. IIRC, he played 45 minutes for each team.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 00:04 - Oct 11 with 1944 viewskiwidale

Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 22:35 - Oct 10 by DaleiLama

true story... Bobby Charlton wrote an article for Shoot magazine around 1970 ish in which with graphics he gave the formula for scoring long range thunderbolts which were his specialty he said " look at the ball not at the goal the goal will still be in the same place where it always is it never moves. plant your non striking foot firmly level with the ball about about 6 inches alongside it. get your head directly over and with eyes on the ball hit threw the ball in an arc abefore and after contact. With that in mind next game Top Bird Newhey v Trafalgar. I received the ball on the halfway line took a couple of touches and hit a screamer into the top corner from around 35 possibly 40 yards. Although I never did it again I still vividly remember it like it was yesterday. often mentioned by those who saw it as an unbelievable goal certainly the best I ever scored. funny thing the Lad who passed the ball to me gave me a right bollocking for not playing a one two with him, the idiot reckons he was clean through.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2017 0:20]

This is not the time for bickering.

Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 01:41 - Oct 11 with 1912 viewsjokerthief

Relative same as his brother Jackie to Rochdale's greatest ever player.
The great Stan Milburn, also of famous family, including wor Jackie.
Ask Newcastle fans about him...
Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 08:52 - Oct 11 with 1821 viewsDaleiLama

Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 22:50 - Oct 10 by dingdangblue

Remember it well. 'Bout time we got treated to another of those?

Happy birthday Sir Bobby Charlton on 09:37 - Oct 11 with 1791 viewsDaleiLama

Robben's goal was ok too

The Argies scraped in as well, after going one down. A case of "A cheats goal from the hand is worth less than a hat trick from the boot?"
[Post edited 11 Oct 2017 9:39]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024