Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World Cup Qualifying 14:37 - Oct 5 with 4292 viewsBlueDales

I've noticed that Syria has reached the Asian World Cup playoff and play this weekend.

Your thoughts:
A feel good story?
Should they even be allowed to compete?
World Cup Qualifying on 15:30 - Oct 5 with 4238 viewsAtThePeake

They played today against Australia, drawing 1-1 in the 'home' leg.

They were only allowed to compete at the last moment as Malaysia allowed them to host their home games there.

Tangled up in blue.

World Cup Qualifying on 15:38 - Oct 5 with 4225 views1mark1

I personally think it’s a feel good story. Obviously it’s right that they play their home games in a neutral venue.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

World Cup Qualifying on 15:57 - Oct 5 with 4194 viewsmeeee

World Cup Qualifying on 15:30 - Oct 5 by AtThePeake

They played today against Australia, drawing 1-1 in the 'home' leg.

They were only allowed to compete at the last moment as Malaysia allowed them to host their home games there.

Good result for Syria but their goal was one of the worst penalty calls I've ever seen. How is this a peanlty?
https://streamable.com/so1xj
[Post edited 5 Oct 2017 15:59]
World Cup Qualifying on 16:16 - Oct 5 with 4158 viewsDaleFan7

A lot of Syrians see it as another way to push the Assad regime. Especially turned up to a press conference in a pro-Assad shirt.
World Cup Qualifying on 17:03 - Oct 5 with 4093 viewspioneer

If we excluded all countries that the US would like to see political change it would be a small world cup - it would probably exclude the hosts!
World Cup Qualifying on 18:26 - Oct 5 with 4031 views1mark1

World Cup Qualifying on 17:03 - Oct 5 by pioneer

If we excluded all countries that the US would like to see political change it would be a small world cup - it would probably exclude the hosts!

Yes thankfully the US don’t run or control Football like they try to control the UN etc.

Still though I am of the opinion that in no circumstance should the occasion be allowed to be turned into any kind of pro regime exercise.

Saying that , Assad as much as anyone has been taking on the Daesh terrorists.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2017 20:40]

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

World Cup Qualifying on 19:27 - Oct 5 with 3985 viewsSalwaDale

ATP, it wasn't last minute at all, the game was always going to be played in Malaysia, as that is where they have played most of the games. They did consider moving it to somewhere a little closer to home but decided to stick with Malaysia. Definitely a feel good story. A number of their better players (Firas Al Khatib, Omar Al Soma, and a couple of others) have been very, very anti Assad and Firas has refused to play for the national team for quite a while. When the qualifying started quite well, he decided to represent his country again. At one point it even looked like he might play his club football there but decided to return to Kuwait, where he has played most of his career.

Wny would they not be allowed to compete?

TBBT

World Cup Qualifying on 19:42 - Oct 5 with 3975 viewsAtThePeake

World Cup Qualifying on 19:27 - Oct 5 by SalwaDale

ATP, it wasn't last minute at all, the game was always going to be played in Malaysia, as that is where they have played most of the games. They did consider moving it to somewhere a little closer to home but decided to stick with Malaysia. Definitely a feel good story. A number of their better players (Firas Al Khatib, Omar Al Soma, and a couple of others) have been very, very anti Assad and Firas has refused to play for the national team for quite a while. When the qualifying started quite well, he decided to represent his country again. At one point it even looked like he might play his club football there but decided to return to Kuwait, where he has played most of his career.

Wny would they not be allowed to compete?

Sorry SD, I meant generally they weren't going to be allowed to compete in qualifying whatsoever as they had nowhere to play, it was right at the start of qualifying that Malaysia swooped in to help host games. I can't remember where I read that the other day!

Tangled up in blue.

Login to get fewer ads

World Cup Qualifying on 21:18 - Oct 5 with 3907 viewsSalwaDale

World Cup Qualifying on 19:42 - Oct 5 by AtThePeake

Sorry SD, I meant generally they weren't going to be allowed to compete in qualifying whatsoever as they had nowhere to play, it was right at the start of qualifying that Malaysia swooped in to help host games. I can't remember where I read that the other day!

Ah,my apologies. Misread your post.

Interesting tweet if you read the follow ups:

TBBT

World Cup Qualifying on 11:55 - Oct 10 with 3602 viewsDiddyDave

1-1,extra time about to start. Syria relying on the counter attack and look dangerous on the break. Australia pathetic,the passing so pedestrian and predictable. Anybody`s game.
World Cup Qualifying on 12:42 - Oct 10 with 3527 viewsDiddyDave

Tim Cahill once again the hero for the Aussies with a goal three minutes into the second period of extra time,but not before Syria had a bloke sent off for two yellows and players from both teams falling over like ninepins near the end. A bloody awful game,but the locals go home happy. Think it`s either Honduras or Panama now who will play Australia in November for a place in the finals.
World Cup Qualifying on 13:01 - Oct 10 with 3503 viewsAussieDale

very poor game with Syria hitting the post with almost the last kick of the game when down to ten men. Aistralia have not produced an international class player since the advent of the national league. Not sure what the connection is, if any, but the current team is nowhere near the quality of the side that had Kewell, Cahill, Viduka, Neill, Emerson and Swartzer in goal. Half a dozen good quality premier league players. There isn't one now.
World Cup Qualifying on 14:16 - Oct 10 with 3419 viewsjudd

World Cup Qualifying on 13:01 - Oct 10 by AussieDale

very poor game with Syria hitting the post with almost the last kick of the game when down to ten men. Aistralia have not produced an international class player since the advent of the national league. Not sure what the connection is, if any, but the current team is nowhere near the quality of the side that had Kewell, Cahill, Viduka, Neill, Emerson and Swartzer in goal. Half a dozen good quality premier league players. There isn't one now.

They would be hard to beat with all them in goal,tbf.

Poll: What is it to be then?

World Cup Qualifying on 11:29 - Oct 11 with 3265 viewsmacro

USA not qualifying amused me.
World Cup Qualifying on 13:28 - Oct 11 with 3195 viewsDaleFan7

World Cup Qualifying on 11:29 - Oct 11 by macro

The fact Panama's first goal wasn't a goal made it even funnier.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2017 13:29]
World Cup Qualifying on 14:44 - Oct 11 with 3135 viewsEllDale

No Netherlands either.
How the hell do you go from third in 2014 to not qualifying three years later?
World Cup Qualifying on 15:03 - Oct 11 with 3123 viewsChaffRAFC

World Cup Qualifying on 14:44 - Oct 11 by EllDale

No Netherlands either.
How the hell do you go from third in 2014 to not qualifying three years later?

Given they're still reliant on the likes of Robben, Babel, Sneijder, Van Persie etc shows there must be a significant lack of young Dutch talent coming through.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

World Cup Qualifying on 17:13 - Oct 11 with 3060 viewsEllDale

Perhaps Roland Bergkamp is typical of the new generation of Dutch masters?
World Cup Qualifying on 17:17 - Oct 11 with 3050 viewspioneer

World Cup Qualifying on 11:29 - Oct 11 by macro

I am in US until the weekend - much hand wringing and blood letting here - particularly since FOX paid $400M for the rights!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024