Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World Cup squad 14:58 - May 16 with 3608 viewsD_Alien

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44138600

Emphasis on youth, and a few lads with big games still to play for their clubs

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

World Cup squad on 15:21 - May 16 with 3570 viewsSaxonDale

Surprised there is no place for Lallana- granted he's had very little playing time. Bit concerned about the lack of centre mids in the squad too
World Cup squad on 16:03 - May 16 with 3514 viewsDaley_Lama

Lallana is at least on the reserve list, still chances for hammys to be pulled and metas to be broken.

Poll: DF in or out

World Cup squad on 16:25 - May 16 with 3467 viewsAtThePeake

World Cup squad on 15:21 - May 16 by SaxonDale

Surprised there is no place for Lallana- granted he's had very little playing time. Bit concerned about the lack of centre mids in the squad too

Not sure Lallana fits Southgate's system. The attacking emphasis is on speed between the midfield and frontline, hence why the likes of Lingard and Rashford get plenty of game time under him. If you look at the way the youth teams have played in their successful tournaments, this appears to be part of the 'England DNA' the FA like to push and it seems like Southgate is trying to implement it at first team level. Lallana could've been a good option to have for the teams that will sit very deep against us as a 'lock-picker' (Tunisia and Panama) but beyond that he may have been a waste of a space in the squad.

Agree re: Central midfield though. It's crazy that we used to have Gerrard/Lampard/Scholes in the same squad. Any one of those would be our best player by some distance now.

Tangled up in blue.

World Cup squad on 16:49 - May 16 with 3420 viewsCanaDale

That midfield has 0 forward passes between them, will be interesting to see how they cope.
World Cup squad on 17:41 - May 16 with 3339 viewsJimmyRustler

World Cup squad on 16:49 - May 16 by CanaDale

That midfield has 0 forward passes between them, will be interesting to see how they cope.

Flabbergasted that Wilshere isn't in the squad tbh
World Cup squad on 17:59 - May 16 with 3302 views1907

World Cup squad on 17:41 - May 16 by JimmyRustler

Flabbergasted that Wilshere isn't in the squad tbh

A liability that would inevitably get injured and couldn’t cope with the number of games in the period of time.
World Cup squad on 18:06 - May 16 with 3289 viewsJimmyRustler

World Cup squad on 17:59 - May 16 by 1907

A liability that would inevitably get injured and couldn’t cope with the number of games in the period of time.

That's a fair bit of conjecture on your part. He's arguably our best central midfielder and has played 38 games this season, a total which he's only bettered once (back in 2010/2011). If there's a time to take him, it's now
World Cup squad on 18:33 - May 16 with 3232 viewselectricblue

World Cup squad on 17:59 - May 16 by 1907

One knock on that dodgy ankle and thats him out..
Hence you can understand Southgates reluctance to take him...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Login to get fewer ads

World Cup squad on 19:01 - May 16 with 3191 viewsmidlandsdale

World Cup squad on 18:06 - May 16 by JimmyRustler

That's a fair bit of conjecture on your part. He's arguably our best central midfielder and has played 38 games this season, a total which he's only bettered once (back in 2010/2011). If there's a time to take him, it's now

Conjecture not. History says he gets injured every time. End of.
World Cup squad on 00:05 - May 17 with 3003 viewsShun

Not a bad squad but like others have said the central midfield looks weak. Quite surprised Shelvey didn't at least make the reserve list. I would've also loved Milner to make the cut, although I presume he might have retired from international football. I've only watched Liverpool in 'big' games this season but he's been consistently excellent every time I've seen him.
World Cup squad on 06:03 - May 17 with 2923 viewsJimmyRustler

World Cup squad on 19:01 - May 16 by midlandsdale

Conjecture not. History says he gets injured every time. End of.

That's not quite how things work I'm afraid
World Cup squad on 07:25 - May 17 with 2867 viewssweetcorn

People are saying jack wilshere is a liability, yet we’re taking delph who has spent most of his time at city injured and has played significantly less games than wilshere this season. Add in the fact that when he has played, it’s been at left back and we’ve took him as a midfielder it really does make you shake your head.

Welbeck still getting into the squad is another joke. He’s barely played this year and is just a poor version of what we already have. That 4th striker should have been someone who could be plan B when a game isn’t going our way.

Central midfield and defence is really shallow. How is gary cahill still making the squad?

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

World Cup squad on 08:50 - May 17 with 2801 viewsMarpleAlty

He seems to get halfway there, does Southgate.

He's clearly got a plan, but with that you need 'Plan Bs' - ironic that Wilshere has arguably deserved a squad place the one time he hasn't got it. There's another way to look at things of course - those that have played less could be fresher.

I would have sacrificed Loftus-Cheek's place for Lallana and Wilshere who I think can both come off the bench and do a job. His gambles should have been Sancho and Sessegnon in those wide areas against tired full-backs, especially if you complement that with Shelvey's range of passing, in the final half hour of games.

Don't see the point in Delph being there - doesn't sound like he's being taken as a left back and I wouldn't play him in midfield.

The less said about Cahill and Welbeck the better.
World Cup squad on 18:04 - May 17 with 2651 viewsCanaDale

The fact that there was rumours of Leon Bailey being called up just shows the state of affairs, surely there is someone on staff to check, like, birth certificates et all.
World Cup squad on 18:17 - May 17 with 2631 viewsRalphs12

World Cup squad on 08:50 - May 17 by MarpleAlty

He seems to get halfway there, does Southgate.

He's clearly got a plan, but with that you need 'Plan Bs' - ironic that Wilshere has arguably deserved a squad place the one time he hasn't got it. There's another way to look at things of course - those that have played less could be fresher.

I would have sacrificed Loftus-Cheek's place for Lallana and Wilshere who I think can both come off the bench and do a job. His gambles should have been Sancho and Sessegnon in those wide areas against tired full-backs, especially if you complement that with Shelvey's range of passing, in the final half hour of games.

Don't see the point in Delph being there - doesn't sound like he's being taken as a left back and I wouldn't play him in midfield.

The less said about Cahill and Welbeck the better.

Who do you have in over welbeck?
World Cup squad on 18:40 - May 17 with 2588 viewsFondles

World Cup squad on 18:17 - May 17 by Ralphs12

Who do you have in over welbeck?

Adam Johnson is due to be added to the released list
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024