Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 16:02 - Jul 8 with 2492 viewsSuddenLad

Wonderful player in his pomp for Spurs. RIP.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/715024/alan-gilzean-dies-tottenham-

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 13:48 - Jul 9 with 2303 viewsmingthemerciless

A very elegant centre forward who was a terrific header of the ball. He was one of those players who could hang in the air.
Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 16:13 - Jul 9 with 2253 viewsEllDale

He was a master of the glancing header.
For quite a while Spurs had a corner routine where he flicked it on at the near post and someone like Mike England came charging in to score off it.
Very neat and precise footballer.
Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 16:01 - Jul 11 with 2136 viewsD_Alien

Like an earlier version of Berbatov, and under-rated during his career but a vital cog in a very good Spurs side

RIP

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 01:54 - Jul 12 with 2051 viewsDiddyDave

Yes Gilzean was a very good player,scoring many goals for Spurs and Scotland and this was in the day when the Jocks had a really good side. Think Tottenham got him from Hearts from memory,but I`m sure somebody will correct me.
Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 07:50 - Jul 12 with 2023 viewsEllDale

I thought that he originally played for Dundee but that doesn't matter.
You're right in what you say about his playing in a time when Scottish football bred players like Gilzean, Jim Baxter, John White, Billy Bremner, Dave Mackay, Eddie Gray, Denis Law etc.
Every decent English Division One or Two side had a Scot in their ranks somewhere or seemed to.
The demise of a Scotland as a footballing power over the last 60 years is staggering when you consider it.
Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 10:22 - Jul 12 with 1978 viewsSuddenLad

Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 01:54 - Jul 12 by DiddyDave

Yes Gilzean was a very good player,scoring many goals for Spurs and Scotland and this was in the day when the Jocks had a really good side. Think Tottenham got him from Hearts from memory,but I`m sure somebody will correct me.

He was at Dundee and Spurs signed him from there in 1964.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 10:45 - Jul 12 with 1963 viewsAtThePeake

Years before my time but much loved by all at Spurs. RIP Alan.

Tangled up in blue.

Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 11:00 - Jul 12 with 1955 viewsnordenblue

Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 07:50 - Jul 12 by EllDale

You're right in what you say about his playing in a time when Scottish football bred players like Gilzean, Jim Baxter, John White, Billy Bremner, Dave Mackay, Eddie Gray, Denis Law etc.
Every decent English Division One or Two side had a Scot in their ranks somewhere or seemed to.
The demise of a Scotland as a footballing power over the last 60 years is staggering when you consider it.

Their demise is quite funny even more so considering many of them were cheering for Croatia last night...let them enjoy their national team being below Congo and Iran in world rankings
Login to get fewer ads

Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 11:13 - Jul 12 with 1940 viewsrochdaleriddler

Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 11:00 - Jul 12 by nordenblue

Their demise is quite funny even more so considering many of them were cheering for Croatia last night...let them enjoy their national team being below Congo and Iran in world rankings

How disrespectful to aim a cheap jibe at Scotland on a thread about the death of a Scotland great. I see your football knowledge is serving you well

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 14:09 - Jul 12 with 1896 viewspioneer

Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 07:50 - Jul 12 by EllDale

Was in the team that beat England at Wembley in67. The first loss as world champions
Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 14:14 - Jul 12 with 1888 viewsnordenblue

Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 11:13 - Jul 12 by rochdaleriddler

How disrespectful to aim a cheap jibe at Scotland on a thread about the death of a Scotland great. I see your football knowledge is serving you well

If you read the post I actually responded to it was about Scottish football in general too,seems you've a lot to learn still.
#rochdalesnumberonefan
Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 15:30 - Jul 12 with 1845 viewsrochdaleriddler

Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 14:14 - Jul 12 by nordenblue

If you read the post I actually responded to it was about Scottish football in general too,seems you've a lot to learn still.
#rochdalesnumberonefan

The post was about Gilzean, and a remark about the decline in Scottish football . You then cheapened the whole thing #onlygowhenitsfree

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 15:36 - Jul 12 with 1839 viewsnordenblue

Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 15:30 - Jul 12 by rochdaleriddler

The post was about Gilzean, and a remark about the decline in Scottish football . You then cheapened the whole thing #onlygowhenitsfree

So you did notice the comment about the decline in Scottish football,the one i responded to?
I like to cheapen a thread just like I like a cheap football match.
#letthemugspay
Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 17:02 - Jul 12 with 1773 viewsrochdaleriddler

Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 15:36 - Jul 12 by nordenblue

So you did notice the comment about the decline in Scottish football,the one i responded to?
I like to cheapen a thread just like I like a cheap football match.
#letthemugspay

You have achieved your aim, again

Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 22:07 - Jul 12 with 1690 viewsmingthemerciless

Rangers and Celtic had some great players in those days. Jimmy Johnstone was one of the best wingers I ever saw, unstoppable when he was on song. Guys like Crerand, StJohn, McLintock, Ronnie Yeats to name just a few were all top players yet only got a few caps.

The decline of Scottish Football since Alan Gilzean's hey day is stunning.
Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 22:13 - Jul 12 with 1687 viewspioneer

Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 22:07 - Jul 12 by mingthemerciless

Rangers and Celtic had some great players in those days. Jimmy Johnstone was one of the best wingers I ever saw, unstoppable when he was on song. Guys like Crerand, StJohn, McLintock, Ronnie Yeats to name just a few were all top players yet only got a few caps.

With a few exceptions They all became better players when moving to England for more money and stronger competition. They have now been squeezed out of the English game by second rate foreiners meaning they spend entire careers playing against hamilton accies or st mirren.
Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 00:35 - Jul 13 with 1647 viewsDiddyDave

Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 22:07 - Jul 12 by mingthemerciless

A week after the World Cup Final in 1966,I went up to Glasgow to watch Celtic play United in a pre season friendly at Parkhead. Think it was a match organised by Matt Busby and Jock Stein,but the interest was massive,a full house of 65,000. United were to finish champions at the end of the season and Celtic were to go on to win the European Cup,the first British side to do so. They were arguably the best side that Britain has ever produced,all their players were Scots,each and every player became legends in the game and rightly so.
Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 07:50 - Jul 13 with 1604 viewsEllDale

Every member of that Celtic team had been born within a 30 mile radius of Glasgow Cross as well. All could be described as local lads.
The strange thing is, with all these class players around, Scotland never got past the World Cup qualifying stages in the 1960's.
There was a lot of controversy up there about whether or not "Anglos" should play for Scotland once they'd moved to England so the selection policy for the national side was never consistent.
Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 08:18 - Jul 13 with 1588 viewsDiddyDave

Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 07:50 - Jul 13 by EllDale

Every member of that Celtic team had been born within a 30 mile radius of Glasgow Cross as well. All could be described as local lads.
The strange thing is, with all these class players around, Scotland never got past the World Cup qualifying stages in the 1960's.
There was a lot of controversy up there about whether or not "Anglos" should play for Scotland once they'd moved to England so the selection policy for the national side was never consistent.

Probably if they`d picked the whole Celtic team they might`ve done a lot better! Rangers too had great players as has been pointed out,but that 1966/67 Bhoys team were a class apart.
Alan Gilzean dies aged 79 on 19:25 - Jul 13 with 1499 viewsmingthemerciless

IT was at lot harder to qualify for the last 16 the. Treasure Island and Transylvania weren't allowed to enter the comp in those days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024