Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MPS Jumping ship 05:49 - Feb 21 with 2316 viewsfrenzied

I see 11 mps have exited and formed an independent group within Parliament.

How would you line them up ?

442?

352?

Who looks a decent keeper?

Captain?

Anna soubry looks like a midfield dynamo to me

[Post edited 21 Feb 2019 5:51]
MPS Jumping ship on 05:53 - Feb 21 with 2304 viewsJames1980

I expect they will find themselves exposed down the left and right wing, considering they will all want to play in the centre.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

MPS Jumping ship on 07:20 - Feb 21 with 2252 viewsfrenzied

MPS Jumping ship on 05:53 - Feb 21 by James1980

I expect they will find themselves exposed down the left and right wing, considering they will all want to play in the centre.

Very Good James..im impressed..
MPS Jumping ship on 09:50 - Feb 21 with 2135 viewselectricblue

Does that mean they are now on the bench and sat at the back!!!!!

Serious though..
Now that these 11 who have jumped ship do not represent their original parties who they where elected to wont be classed as actual MPs!

Surely they cant be and surely they cannot get an mps salary and perks as well....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

MPS Jumping ship on 10:03 - Feb 21 with 2109 viewsD_Alien

MPS Jumping ship on 09:50 - Feb 21 by electricblue

Does that mean they are now on the bench and sat at the back!!!!!

Serious though..
Now that these 11 who have jumped ship do not represent their original parties who they where elected to wont be classed as actual MPs!

Surely they cant be and surely they cannot get an mps salary and perks as well....

*Politically neutral comment*

That's not how the system works, electric. MPs are elected to parliament as individuals, whether they're affiliated to a political party, or none. Yes, it could be argued they were only elected because of their affiliation but the principle remains that each constituency is electing an individual to represent it's inhabitants, not the party to which the MP belongs

Constituencies now have the right to force a by-election if sufficient numbers can be gathered in support of that option

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

MPS Jumping ship on 10:36 - Feb 21 with 2071 viewsscarrow

MPS Jumping ship on 10:03 - Feb 21 by D_Alien

That's not how the system works, electric. MPs are elected to parliament as individuals, whether they're affiliated to a political party, or none. Yes, it could be argued they were only elected because of their affiliation but the principle remains that each constituency is electing an individual to represent it's inhabitants, not the party to which the MP belongs

Constituencies now have the right to force a by-election if sufficient numbers can be gathered in support of that option

They can ask for a by election but cannot force it. The only way it can be done is if the standing MP decides to step down or dies. The only thing this proves is that Brexit doesn’t go along party lines

Poll: Final position

MPS Jumping ship on 10:55 - Feb 21 with 2043 viewsfrenzied

didn't really intend this to go into a political debate....

However you guys fire away!!!

Possibly substitutes arriving soon also if press is to be believed..
MPS Jumping ship on 11:33 - Feb 21 with 2003 viewsscarrow

MPS Jumping ship on 10:55 - Feb 21 by frenzied

As long as the substitutions have impact and can help score and decide some crucial results

Poll: Final position

MPS Jumping ship on 12:36 - Feb 21 with 1939 viewsrochdaleriddler

The party political system in Britain ensures that nearly all MP’s are elected because of their party membership, all of the leavers were happy to stand on the party manifestos at the last election. Morally they should test out their constituents faith in their new status. I know they don’t have to and they won’t because their gravy train will hit the buffers.

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Login to get fewer ads

MPS Jumping ship on 12:41 - Feb 21 with 1928 viewsColDale

MPS Jumping ship on 12:36 - Feb 21 by rochdaleriddler

The party political system in Britain ensures that nearly all MP’s are elected because of their party membership, all of the leavers were happy to stand on the party manifestos at the last election. Morally they should test out their constituents faith in their new status. I know they don’t have to and they won’t because their gravy train will hit the buffers.

MPS Jumping ship on 12:46 - Feb 21 with 1916 viewselectricblue

Thanks for clearing that...
It is time that changed then..
Because since GE began how many voted for the party and not the individual!
Millions countless millions.....

You speak to common joe on the street....
Oh i voted labour so the tories dont get in or vice versa......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

MPS Jumping ship on 12:49 - Feb 21 with 1910 viewsrochdaleriddler

MPS Jumping ship on 12:41 - Feb 21 by ColDale

I disagree, if people voted for the individual ahead of party we would have a lot of independent MP’s, we wouldn’t have an obsession with national opinion polls, which ask such things as which party would you vote for, which leader would you vote for etc . I have never voted for a candidate over party, I would have abstained if Danczuk has remained with Labour

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

MPS Jumping ship on 13:10 - Feb 21 with 1886 viewsJimmyRustler

MPS Jumping ship on 12:41 - Feb 21 by ColDale

That reply looks like its been written by a 5 year old.

He must have been practising
MPS Jumping ship on 13:19 - Feb 21 with 1869 viewsroccydaleian

MPS Jumping ship on 12:36 - Feb 21 by rochdaleriddler

Probably for the first time ever, I agree with you. I vote for the person who represents the party whose policies I agree with at the time.
MPS Jumping ship on 14:01 - Feb 21 with 1813 viewsJames1980

MPS Jumping ship on 13:10 - Feb 21 by JimmyRustler

That reply looks like its been written by a 5 year old.

He must have been practising

In 2010 Twitter had a 140 character maximum, might explain Jezza's use of text speak

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

MPS Jumping ship on 14:08 - Feb 21 with 1802 viewsD_Alien

MPS Jumping ship on 13:19 - Feb 21 by roccydaleian

Probably for the first time ever, I agree with you. I vote for the person who represents the party whose policies I agree with at the time.

As do most people, not knowing their MP from their elbow, so to speak...

But, there's very good reasons why the principle of electing the individual rather than the party should be maintained

First, it allows people to stand as Independents in the first place, if they have a specific interest in representing their constituency other than due to political affiliation

But more importantly, it maintains the principle that when an MP is elected, he or she is there to represent ALL the inhabitants on their patch. The danger of voting for a party, of whom the MP is just a representative, is that those with political interests which differ from the MP and who make those interests known may feel less "represented" if, for instance, they had a local problem which the MP refused to assist with due to political differences

Now, i've no doubt that may happen under the current system but unless you start from the principle as the foundation of representation, the problem would almost certainly become more widespread and lead to forms of corruption that the current system manages to keep a lid on

Beware changing that principle. It's part of the checks & balances to ensure all voters at least feel they have an interest in voting, even if the views of their MP differs from their own
[Post edited 21 Feb 2019 14:09]

MPS Jumping ship on 14:59 - Feb 21 with 1740 viewstony_roch975

MPS Jumping ship on 14:08 - Feb 21 by D_Alien

As do most people, not knowing their MP from their elbow, so to speak...

But, there's very good reasons why the principle of electing the individual rather than the party should be maintained

First, it allows people to stand as Independents in the first place, if they have a specific interest in representing their constituency other than due to political affiliation

But more importantly, it maintains the principle that when an MP is elected, he or she is there to represent ALL the inhabitants on their patch. The danger of voting for a party, of whom the MP is just a representative, is that those with political interests which differ from the MP and who make those interests known may feel less "represented" if, for instance, they had a local problem which the MP refused to assist with due to political differences

Now, i've no doubt that may happen under the current system but unless you start from the principle as the foundation of representation, the problem would almost certainly become more widespread and lead to forms of corruption that the current system manages to keep a lid on

Beware changing that principle. It's part of the checks & balances to ensure all voters at least feel they have an interest in voting, even if the views of their MP differs from their own
[Post edited 21 Feb 2019 14:09]

I understand the attraction of 'independent' MPs but they deny the voter the chance to choose to vote for the policies of a party which can become a government - independent MPs by definition are lone voices or single issue campaigners who will never attain the majority our system depends on. As we will see with the new grouping they disagree about everything except Brexit. Surely more useful would be a democratic voting system which ensures the make-up of Parliament accurately represents the range of opinions in our society. In that system every vote would count (whichever MP you got in your constituency)

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

MPS Jumping ship on 15:35 - Feb 21 with 1708 viewsD_Alien

MPS Jumping ship on 14:59 - Feb 21 by tony_roch975

I understand the attraction of 'independent' MPs but they deny the voter the chance to choose to vote for the policies of a party which can become a government - independent MPs by definition are lone voices or single issue campaigners who will never attain the majority our system depends on. As we will see with the new grouping they disagree about everything except Brexit. Surely more useful would be a democratic voting system which ensures the make-up of Parliament accurately represents the range of opinions in our society. In that system every vote would count (whichever MP you got in your constituency)

I get where you're coming from, but in a way your point is contradictory

You're asking that Parliament should represent the range of opinions in our society (which i agree with) but what about opinions - which may be held by a significant number of people - which aren't part of the manifesto of any party?

If a constituency has a specific issue which at the time of an election over-rides all other considerations, an Independent candidate should be able to stand to represent that issue in Parliament. I'm almost certain you wouldn't suggest otherwise? An electoral system which didn't allow this would be less democratic, not more

Edit: btw i'm not advocating more Independent MPs, rather defending the principle that MPs are elected to represent their constituents first and foremost - all of them

[Post edited 21 Feb 2019 15:49]

MPS Jumping ship on 19:29 - Feb 21 with 1569 viewsToffeemanc

MPS Jumping ship on 10:55 - Feb 21 by frenzied

Now they need a manager, I wonder if Arsene Wenger fancies politics ?
Get him in charge and with his track record we are sure to be out of Europe by the end of March.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

MPS Jumping ship on 20:05 - Feb 21 with 1526 viewsArthurDaley

In answer to frenzieds question about the best goalkeeper Heidi Allen. She looks like she could handle long balls.

https://goo.gl/images/PhXnri

A large VAT Dave

MPS Jumping ship on 23:35 - Feb 21 with 1422 viewsShun

Just slightly off topic, is anyone watching Question Time? John Barnes has just given an extremely eloquent and passionate speech about racism and how the fear of being called racist is making us all afraid of voicing our (completely normal) prejudices that each of us have developed due to our upbringing and the society we live in. I implore anyone who’s interested to watch it on YouTube/iPlayer.
MPS Jumping ship on 07:00 - Feb 22 with 1323 viewsJimmyRustler

MPS Jumping ship on 23:35 - Feb 21 by Shun

Just slightly off topic, is anyone watching Question Time? John Barnes has just given an extremely eloquent and passionate speech about racism and how the fear of being called racist is making us all afraid of voicing our (completely normal) prejudices that each of us have developed due to our upbringing and the society we live in. I implore anyone who’s interested to watch it on YouTube/iPlayer.

I must admit, John Barnes has really earnt my respect recently
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024