Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dale games that stick in the memory 10:03 - Jun 7 with 2217 viewsjonahwhereru

A nostalgia thread if you like. Was wondering which matches stick in posters minds, for whatever reason. I’ll put one forward.

The mid week away game in Div 2 against Fulham, who were dominating the league at the time. Dale put eleven behind the ball and virtually defended on the 6 yard box, but with Reeves and Butler that represented our best chance. Fulham absolutely battered us and eventually went one up. The Dale ventured into the attacking half and almost immediately John Deary scored an absolute belter.
Dale then parked the bus again and Fulham’s frustration started to build and erupted into a mass brawl on the Rochdale goal line. As I remember the referee did bugger all and didn’t send anyone off. Dale held on for a draw in one of the most one sided games I have ever seen.
A great feeling of satisfaction from holding a big fish in a great London ground.
Dale games that stick in the memory on 10:07 - Jun 7 with 2201 viewsTVOS1907

Reeves wasn't with us in that game. He'd been sold to Wimbledon 12 months earlier. It was probably Valentine & Butler.

I can't recall Deary's goal as being a belter. Are you confusing it with Gouck's 30-yard strike at Fulham on Easter Monday 1997?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Dale games that stick in the memory on 10:14 - Jun 7 with 2182 viewsjonahwhereru

Dale games that stick in the memory on 10:07 - Jun 7 by TVOS1907

Reeves wasn't with us in that game. He'd been sold to Wimbledon 12 months earlier. It was probably Valentine & Butler.

I can't recall Deary's goal as being a belter. Are you confusing it with Gouck's 30-yard strike at Fulham on Easter Monday 1997?

TVOS you would have a more rounded knowledge than me, but this was an evening game. May I wore rose tinted glasses when Deary scored.
Dale games that stick in the memory on 10:19 - Jun 7 with 2170 viewscumbria_dale

Halifax 1 Rochdale 2 - 5th March 2002

Maybe the last time we played at the Shay? Always loved that away trip. We were battered first half, Neil Redfearn scored for them 5 years before he played a few games for us but they went down to ten men and we won it in the last 10minutes.

It was the height of the McCourt/Townson/McEvilly burst of talented youth and a combination of these 3 got our winning goals.

I think Hollins was our manager at the time and looking at the team that night, it was a great mix of youth and experience...

Banks, Todd, Griffiths, Jobson, Evans, McCourt, Oliver, Flitcroft, Doughty, McEvilly, Platt. Subs: Gilks, Jones, Townson, Coleman, McLoughlin.

Also helps that the highlights are here so the memory is a bit more vivid

Dale games that stick in the memory on 11:08 - Jun 7 with 2090 viewsTVOS1907

Dale games that stick in the memory on 10:14 - Jun 7 by jonahwhereru

TVOS you would have a more rounded knowledge than me, but this was an evening game. May I wore rose tinted glasses when Deary scored.

Deary scored there on Tuesday 12th September 1995 in a 1-1 draw. I'll see if I've got the goal footage on my PC when I get home tonight.

Dale games that stick in the memory on 15:00 - Jun 7 with 1953 viewsmikehunt

You wouldn’t have footage of Fat Bob’s goal too, would you TVOS? Quite some strike.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Dale games that stick in the memory on 15:24 - Jun 7 with 1910 viewsTVOS1907

Dale games that stick in the memory on 15:00 - Jun 7 by mikehunt

You wouldn’t have footage of Fat Bob’s goal too, would you TVOS? Quite some strike.

Dale games that stick in the memory on 18:09 - Jun 7 with 1754 views442Dale

Dale games that stick in the memory on 11:08 - Jun 7 by TVOS1907

Deary scored there on Tuesday 12th September 1995 in a 1-1 draw. I'll see if I've got the goal footage on my PC when I get home tonight.

Fulham had had a decent start to the season, but so had we and from memory it was a well deserved point. It was that Docherty side which would often line up 4-5-1 away from home (we had a really good first half of the season before the wheels came off), however at Fulham both Thompson and Stuart were missing. This meant Steve Whitehall went out wide left, Paul Williams at centre forward and Graham bleeding Shaw on the right, tactics that made the subsequent point even better.

It was a top day out, we went on a minibus and got the tube into London. Quite why I recall this far more clearly than most of the last five years is an insight into a worrying world!

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Dale games that stick in the memory on 18:18 - Jun 7 with 1743 viewskel

Dale games that stick in the memory on 18:09 - Jun 7 by 442Dale

Fulham had had a decent start to the season, but so had we and from memory it was a well deserved point. It was that Docherty side which would often line up 4-5-1 away from home (we had a really good first half of the season before the wheels came off), however at Fulham both Thompson and Stuart were missing. This meant Steve Whitehall went out wide left, Paul Williams at centre forward and Graham bleeding Shaw on the right, tactics that made the subsequent point even better.

It was a top day out, we went on a minibus and got the tube into London. Quite why I recall this far more clearly than most of the last five years is an insight into a worrying world!

Bit unlucky having both wingers injured for a midweek away game.
Login to get fewer ads

Dale games that stick in the memory on 20:26 - Jun 7 with 1632 viewsTVOS1907

Dale games that stick in the memory on 10:14 - Jun 7 by jonahwhereru

Diving header by Deary.

Dale games that stick in the memory on 21:17 - Jun 7 with 1566 viewsmingthemerciless

Coventry in the FA Cup, Southend at home, Everton in that Friendly. Too many to mention really. Plenty of lows as well but you forget them - eventually.
Dale games that stick in the memory on 21:25 - Jun 7 with 1556 views442Dale

Dale games that stick in the memory on 20:26 - Jun 7 by TVOS1907

Diving header by Deary.

Also, and I can’t believe it was one detail I did forget, a WHITE SOCKS CLASH.

Almost unheard of in the modern era.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Dale games that stick in the memory on 09:57 - Jun 8 with 1385 viewsjonahwhereru

Dale games that stick in the memory on 20:26 - Jun 7 by TVOS1907

Diving header by Deary.

Thanks TVOS. Great memories. The goal was scored at the home end, but if not a belter it was still none to shabby. I did like John Deary he always turned up in every game imo.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024