Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MLB in UK 19:28 - May 25 with 1941 viewsJames1980

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/baseball/44038752 I know some contributors are fans of American sports. Just wondered how successful folk on here think Baseball will be in the UK.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

MLB in UK on 21:46 - May 25 with 1893 viewsrichfoad32

I love baseball, been following it for over 30 years but in that time I have never met anyone in the UK who has even a passing interest in the game. Obviously there are fans out there, the London games sold out within the hour (though a lot of those will just be going for the novelty value) but as an attempt to increase support in the UK I think they're on a hiding to nothing. Unfortunately it has zero prospect of ever taking of over here, which is a shame because it's a great game to play and watch.
MLB in UK on 22:14 - May 25 with 1867 viewsJames1980

MLB in UK on 21:46 - May 25 by richfoad32

I love baseball, been following it for over 30 years but in that time I have never met anyone in the UK who has even a passing interest in the game. Obviously there are fans out there, the London games sold out within the hour (though a lot of those will just be going for the novelty value) but as an attempt to increase support in the UK I think they're on a hiding to nothing. Unfortunately it has zero prospect of ever taking of over here, which is a shame because it's a great game to play and watch.

With the right backing from the media and sensible ticket prices maybe it could take off in time.

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:15 - May 25 with 1861 viewsJames1980

MLB in UK on 12:35 - May 26 with 1703 viewspioneer

Great game, nearest thing the yanks have to cricket but fortunately , unlike cricket, they have protected the traditions from the demands of TV. Playto a finish no matter how long it goes and use the same laws of the game throughout (except for in the bastardized international form of the game).

Worth remebering it was very popular in the UK pre WW2 and Rochdale had a decent team.
MLB in UK on 13:53 - May 26 with 1636 viewsSuddenLad

Rochdale Greys were a formidable baseball team at one time, comprising many ex-US servicemen who has settled here during and after the war.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

MLB in UK on 14:25 - May 26 with 1625 viewsMolly

MLB in UK on 22:14 - May 25 by James1980

With the right backing from the media and sensible ticket prices maybe it could take off in time.

Sensible!!! Latest price on ticketmaster is £340 for the Saturday game.
MLB in UK on 14:33 - May 26 with 1615 viewschalky_ncfc

Derbys old Baseball Ground was originally built for baseball back in the 1800's so the game has been around these shores longer than some would realise

Poll: Do you now think that Notts have suffered enough since Munto?

MLB in UK on 16:59 - May 26 with 1570 viewskiwidale

MLB in UK on 14:33 - May 26 by chalky_ncfc

Derbys old Baseball Ground was originally built for baseball back in the 1800's so the game has been around these shores longer than some would realise

Oiy! shouldn't you be on a non league forum somewhere?

This is not the time for bickering.

Login to get fewer ads

MLB in UK on 17:40 - May 26 with 1535 viewschalky_ncfc

MLB in UK on 16:59 - May 26 by kiwidale

Oiy! shouldn't you be on a non league forum somewhere?

Probably but I still haven't come to terms with it yet

Poll: Do you now think that Notts have suffered enough since Munto?

MLB in UK on 17:56 - May 26 with 1521 viewsrichfoad32

MLB in UK on 14:25 - May 26 by Molly

Sensible!!! Latest price on ticketmaster is £340 for the Saturday game.

I hope that nobody is dumb enough to pay it and the touts get stiffed. The sales procedure for tickets was a shambles. I went through all the proper protocol of pre-registering for tickets and went online as soon as they became available but never got a sniff. Sold out within the hour and being resold at three times the value a couple of hours later.

I'm surprised that as far as I know the BBC haven't jumped on the bandwagon to show the London games and they're just on BT sport. Maybe it's indicative of just how little chance baseball has of catching on over here that mainstream channels don't want to get involved.
MLB in UK on 18:03 - May 26 with 1506 viewsJames1980

MLB in UK on 17:56 - May 26 by richfoad32

I hope that nobody is dumb enough to pay it and the touts get stiffed. The sales procedure for tickets was a shambles. I went through all the proper protocol of pre-registering for tickets and went online as soon as they became available but never got a sniff. Sold out within the hour and being resold at three times the value a couple of hours later.

I'm surprised that as far as I know the BBC haven't jumped on the bandwagon to show the London games and they're just on BT sport. Maybe it's indicative of just how little chance baseball has of catching on over here that mainstream channels don't want to get involved.

Is it just that the terrestrial channels can't afford to stump up the cash BT and Sky can?

MLB in UK on 18:17 - May 26 with 1483 viewsrichfoad32

MLB in UK on 18:03 - May 26 by James1980

Is it just that the terrestrial channels can't afford to stump up the cash BT and Sky can?

I guess there could be an element of that but the BBC seem to find the money to show the London NFL games, although American football is probably more of an established sport in the UK. Maybe they're just waiting to see what sort of reception the games get before dipping their toes in the water for future years (presuming it becomes an annual series).
MLB in UK on 21:18 - May 26 with 1419 viewsDaleiLama

MLB in UK on 18:17 - May 26 by richfoad32

I guess there could be an element of that but the BBC seem to find the money to show the London NFL games, although American football is probably more of an established sport in the UK. Maybe they're just waiting to see what sort of reception the games get before dipping their toes in the water for future years (presuming it becomes an annual series).

I have often wondered if the NFL subsidise games to the beeb to widen their audience and if so, will the MLB follow suit in their own interest too?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

MLB in UK on 21:49 - May 26 with 1406 viewsforeverhopefulDale

I would rather the BBC concentrate on home sport coverage, like trying to get back Sports they have lost to Sky, rather than American sport.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

MLB in UK on 14:26 - Jun 30 with 1135 viewsJames1980

Baseball has been on the TV in my local no one seems the slightest bit interested in it.

MLB in UK on 14:43 - Jun 30 with 1095 views49thseason

I would rather the BBC was sold off and the £40-50Bn put into schools and sports not to mention the nearly £4Bn a year or so that would be saved and put into the economy by not paying the TV licence. There are over 100 hours of repeats every week now on the BBC and viewing figures are dropping like a stone. Time to be rid of it.
MLB in UK on 15:32 - Jul 4 with 847 viewsDaleiLama

#ripoffbritain

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

MLB in UK on 16:04 - Jul 4 with 799 viewsJames1980

MLB in UK on 15:32 - Jul 4 by DaleiLama

#ripoffbritain

That's shocking what are these beers served in golden chalices.

MLB in UK on 16:11 - Jul 4 with 786 viewsEllDale

Who actually owns that stadium now? The one that was largely built on public money and which West Ham infiltrated to their distinct advantage.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024