Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Footballing centrebacks 15:30 - Aug 13 with 2340 viewsEllDale

I never thought that I would ever say this but I have to admit that for the most part I enjoyed watching the controlled way that we passed the ball around at the back on Saturday.
Bonesy is certainly an accomplished footballer.
Are our defenders getting better technically than their predecessors?
The game has certainly changed in this respect although I have to say that the pitches are a lot better.
Much as I admired them (and still do) could the likes of Gareth Griffiths, Simon Coleman, Colin Parry and Bill Summerscales for example play within the current system?
Footballing centrebacks on 16:23 - Aug 13 with 2211 viewsJumeirahDale

I don't think Simon Coleman could even play the system he was in back then.
Footballing centrebacks on 16:27 - Aug 13 with 2198 viewsD_Alien

I wouldn't describe it as enjoyable, but tolerable until the first time a speedy forward/wayward pass leads to an interception and conceding a goal entirely of our own making. I'm pretty sure it'll happen, but the method looks to be set and your point about footballing ability then comes into play

I have serious doubts about the capabilities of centrebacks to maintain their composure on the ball at this level; their more cultured counterparts at premier league and international level are prone to match-changing errors due to the system of playing

Would our cb's of yesteryear have coped? The best ones would - such as Alan Reeves, but the majority weren't brought up as ball-players so would've struggled. McNulty wouldn't have been brought up playing this way either but did ok on Saturday

I think the essential element is to be able to mix it up. Varying between making progress up the pitch gradually, or on the ground via the midfield, and the occasional lofted ball either to the wings or a tall forward keeps the opposition guessing. The key to this is footballing intelligence: knowing when to stick or twist; and leadership

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Footballing centrebacks on 16:44 - Aug 13 with 2145 viewsblackdogblue

Who’s Bonesy?

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Footballing centrebacks on 16:49 - Aug 13 with 2118 viewsTVOS1907

Footballing centrebacks on 16:44 - Aug 13 by blackdogblue

Who’s Bonesy?

It's O'Connell's nickname.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Footballing centrebacks on 17:20 - Aug 13 with 2032 viewsblackdogblue

Footballing centrebacks on 16:49 - Aug 13 by TVOS1907

Cheers TVOS

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Footballing centrebacks on 17:55 - Aug 13 with 1973 viewsjonahwhereru

Footballing centrebacks on 16:27 - Aug 13 by D_Alien

I wouldn't describe it as enjoyable, but tolerable until the first time a speedy forward/wayward pass leads to an interception and conceding a goal entirely of our own making. I'm pretty sure it'll happen, but the method looks to be set and your point about footballing ability then comes into play

I have serious doubts about the capabilities of centrebacks to maintain their composure on the ball at this level; their more cultured counterparts at premier league and international level are prone to match-changing errors due to the system of playing

Would our cb's of yesteryear have coped? The best ones would - such as Alan Reeves, but the majority weren't brought up as ball-players so would've struggled. McNulty wouldn't have been brought up playing this way either but did ok on Saturday

I think the essential element is to be able to mix it up. Varying between making progress up the pitch gradually, or on the ground via the midfield, and the occasional lofted ball either to the wings or a tall forward keeps the opposition guessing. The key to this is footballing intelligence: knowing when to stick or twist; and leadership

Yep Alan Reeves was a footballer allied with a calming influence on those around him. He was the standout footballing centre back at this club for a very long time. Was Dawson his equal probably, but Dawson was great at a diagonal to The wide man.
Footballing centrebacks on 18:32 - Aug 13 with 1898 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Footballing centrebacks on 17:55 - Aug 13 by jonahwhereru

Yep Alan Reeves was a footballer allied with a calming influence on those around him. He was the standout footballing centre back at this club for a very long time. Was Dawson his equal probably, but Dawson was great at a diagonal to The wide man.

I don’t mind playing out from the back but it’s got to be allied to a healthy dose of pragmatism. Sometimes “row z” is actually the best (or only) option.
Footballing centrebacks on 19:47 - Aug 13 with 1723 viewsNigeriamark

Footballing centrebacks on 18:32 - Aug 13 by Plattyswrinklynuts

I don’t mind playing out from the back but it’s got to be allied to a healthy dose of pragmatism. Sometimes “row z” is actually the best (or only) option.

I think this playing it around at the back is great when you’re on a good run and playing with confidence and the complete opposite when things are not so good. Row z definitely a good option at certain times in every match. Can’t see us being calamity free the whole season
Login to get fewer ads

Footballing centrebacks on 22:29 - Aug 13 with 1533 viewsD_Alien

Footballing centrebacks on 19:47 - Aug 13 by Nigeriamark

I think this playing it around at the back is great when you’re on a good run and playing with confidence and the complete opposite when things are not so good. Row z definitely a good option at certain times in every match. Can’t see us being calamity free the whole season

Magloire's glaring error happened because of the dictum to try and play the ball instead of just clearing it

So, we didn't have to wait long for the inevitable, and a bit of a confidence-shaker for the lad

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Footballing centrebacks on 23:20 - Aug 13 with 1369 viewsShun

Footballing centrebacks on 16:49 - Aug 13 by TVOS1907

Is it? Where did that come from?
Footballing centrebacks on 23:21 - Aug 13 with 1365 viewsTVOS1907

Footballing centrebacks on 23:20 - Aug 13 by Shun

Is it? Where did that come from?

Don't know. It was just mentioned on the club's social media stuff when he signed.

Maybe he liked playing Operation as a kid?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Footballing centrebacks on 23:25 - Aug 13 with 1356 viewsShun

Footballing centrebacks on 23:21 - Aug 13 by TVOS1907

Don't know. It was just mentioned on the club's social media stuff when he signed.

Maybe he liked playing Operation as a kid?

Fair enough!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024