Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Consecutive Membership of the FL 09:51 - Nov 9 with 2998 viewsmodelboydave

In 2021 we will hopefully be celebrating 100 unbroken years in the FL.

I wonder where we stand in the table of unbroken membership of the FL. (Besides the War Years) as things stand today.

Of course many clubs have been in the Premier League which disqualifies them and clubs like Luton have been in the conference. I would not have thought too many clubs would be above us.

...yes i am bored as no Dale today, although on my way to Spurs V Sheff United as a distraction.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2019 10:51]

Poll: Attention man united fans - who do you want to win the premier league?

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 11:04 - Nov 9 with 2905 viewsboromat

Hopefully the club and trust can plan up some good initiatives for 2021 if that's the case. It's definitely a milestone worth celebrating and use the opportunity for some additional good PR.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 11:14 - Nov 9 with 2894 viewsTVOS1907

Surely any celebrarion/anniversary should be reserved for our 100th FL season, if we get that far. Due to the War, that will have to wait for a further five years after 1921.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 12:07 - Nov 9 with 2824 viewsDalenet

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 11:04 - Nov 9 by boromat

Hopefully the club and trust can plan up some good initiatives for 2021 if that's the case. It's definitely a milestone worth celebrating and use the opportunity for some additional good PR.

Now that is something to be proud of if we get there. I would support a big town hall dinner with carriages for this one provided it was planned in advance so people could get the cash together and was early in the season.
Consecutive Membership of the FL on 13:06 - Nov 9 with 2788 viewschalky_ncfc

Rochdale hold the record for the team that's spent the longest time in the league without ever reaching the top two divisions which is quite an amazing feat in itself when you think about it

Poll: Do you now think that Notts have suffered enough since Munto?

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 13:10 - Nov 9 with 2784 viewsEllDale

There's nothing to stop us celebrating 100 years membership even if we didn't actually play for six or seven years due to circumstances.
An awful lot of those clubs admitted when the Third Division (North) was formed aren't members anymore and several don't even exist.
Just saying.
Consecutive Membership of the FL on 13:18 - Nov 9 with 2773 viewsTVOS1907

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 13:06 - Nov 9 by chalky_ncfc

Rochdale hold the record for the team that's spent the longest time in the league without ever reaching the top two divisions which is quite an amazing feat in itself when you think about it

As is the fact we haven’t yet played league games against the likes of Bromley, Boreham Wood and Dover.

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 18:31 - Nov 9 with 2647 viewskiwidale

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 13:18 - Nov 9 by TVOS1907

As is the fact we haven’t yet played league games against the likes of Bromley, Boreham Wood and Dover.

You are the man for this one. Im sure football was played during the war years albeit not in the football league, is there any record of Dale playing games friendlies or otherwise?
[Post edited 9 Nov 2019 18:32]

This is not the time for bickering.

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 18:43 - Nov 9 with 2621 viewsTVOS1907

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 18:31 - Nov 9 by kiwidale

You are the man for this one. Im sure football was played during the war years albeit not in the football league, is there any record of Dale playing games friendlies or otherwise?
[Post edited 9 Nov 2019 18:32]

Yes, it's all in Steven Phillipps' history book.

It was variously called the Regional League North West, North Regional League, Football League Northern Section, Football League North and Division 3 North: West.

The results and appearances aren't recognised as official when it comes to records, etc, while a lot of the players were 'guests' who were usually linked with other clubs, but it was some football to try to keep a sense of normality during the conflicts.

Someone like BigKindo will know more.

Login to get fewer ads

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 19:05 - Nov 9 with 2583 viewschalky_ncfc

Didn't women's football take off in a big way during the war years with tens of thousands going to watch games (not Rochdale obv )
I'm sure that I read somewhere that womens football was so successful that the FA did their best to kill it off by some reason or other?
[Post edited 9 Nov 2019 19:08]

Poll: Do you now think that Notts have suffered enough since Munto?

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 08:41 - Nov 11 with 2298 viewsupthedale

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 19:05 - Nov 9 by chalky_ncfc

Didn't women's football take off in a big way during the war years with tens of thousands going to watch games (not Rochdale obv )
I'm sure that I read somewhere that womens football was so successful that the FA did their best to kill it off by some reason or other?
[Post edited 9 Nov 2019 19:08]

They made it illegal for women to play football (in at least some capacity).
Consecutive Membership of the FL on 09:19 - Nov 11 with 2271 viewsAtThePeake

Wasn't the vote for next season's away kits something to do with this anniversary?

Tangled up in blue.

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 13:09 - Nov 11 with 2138 viewspioneer

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 08:41 - Nov 11 by upthedale

They made it illegal for women to play football (in at least some capacity).

Dick Kerr Ladies FC was an outstanding womens team which played from the first world war to the 1960s. They have (or at least used to have) a section devoted to them at the national football museum.
Consecutive Membership of the FL on 13:23 - Nov 11 with 2116 viewsupthedale

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 13:09 - Nov 11 by pioneer

Dick Kerr Ladies FC was an outstanding womens team which played from the first world war to the 1960s. They have (or at least used to have) a section devoted to them at the national football museum.

Ah interesting thanks, I've never seen that. Was that when it was in Preston (which would make sense given the location), or since it's moved too?

Just Googled and it seems it was banned for women's teams to play at FA member grounds from 1921, despite the great crowds Dick Kerr (and presumably a fair few other teams, I don't know) were getting. So the FA essentially discouraged the women's game as much as they possibly could.
Consecutive Membership of the FL on 16:00 - Nov 11 with 2051 viewsfermin

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 13:23 - Nov 11 by upthedale

Ah interesting thanks, I've never seen that. Was that when it was in Preston (which would make sense given the location), or since it's moved too?

Just Googled and it seems it was banned for women's teams to play at FA member grounds from 1921, despite the great crowds Dick Kerr (and presumably a fair few other teams, I don't know) were getting. So the FA essentially discouraged the women's game as much as they possibly could.

The big crowds were largely because the games raised money for charity for ex-servicemen which was obviously a big thing during and just after WWI. It is often spun differently these days. In theory if there had been a commercial appetite for (semi-)professional women's football it could perhaps have been held in non-football grounds, but some of the reasons for banning women's football from football grounds were pretty ludicrous looking back on it now.
Consecutive Membership of the FL on 16:58 - Nov 11 with 2008 viewsfermin

Going back to the original question, counting membership of the Premier League as leaving the FL, I reckon the answer is the following unless anyone knows of breaks in membership for any of them (I was going to include Gillingham but I spotted that they were voted out just before WW2, though they came back shortly afterwards).

Preston (1888)
Bristol City (1901)
Port Vale, Rotherham County/United* (1919)
Plymouth, Northampton, Southend, Brentford (1920)
Crewe, Walsall, Rochdale (1921)

Obviously there have been a couple of high-profile departures from near the top of this list quite recently!

Edit: forgot about Bristol Rovers and Exeter being relegated!

*Rotherham County joined the League in 1919 and merged with non-League Rotherham Town in 1925 to form Rotherham United so I presume this counts.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2019 7:50]
Consecutive Membership of the FL on 20:30 - Nov 11 with 1939 viewsmodelboydave

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 16:58 - Nov 11 by fermin

Going back to the original question, counting membership of the Premier League as leaving the FL, I reckon the answer is the following unless anyone knows of breaks in membership for any of them (I was going to include Gillingham but I spotted that they were voted out just before WW2, though they came back shortly afterwards).

Preston (1888)
Bristol City (1901)

Obviously there have been a couple of high-profile departures from near the top of this list quite recently!

*Rotherham County joined the League in 1919 and merged with non-League Rotherham Town in 1925 to form Rotherham United so I presume this counts.

Thanks Fermin.

Whatever way you look at it, it’s a great achievement to have this many years of consecutive membership. Many clubs with bigger and better resources have slipped through the trap door , never to return.

Poll: Attention man united fans - who do you want to win the premier league?

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 21:31 - Nov 11 with 1903 viewstony_roch975

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 16:58 - Nov 11 by fermin

Preston (1888)
Bristol City (1901)

Exeter City lost their Football League status at the end of the 2002—03 season. They spent five seasons in the Conference, and recovered from defeat in the 2007 play-off final to win promotion out of the play-offs the next year.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 21:35 - Nov 11 with 1896 viewsTVOS1907

Consecutive Membership of the FL on 21:31 - Nov 11 by tony_roch975

Exeter City lost their Football League status at the end of the 2002—03 season. They spent five seasons in the Conference, and recovered from defeat in the 2007 play-off final to win promotion out of the play-offs the next year.

As did Bristol Rovers in 2014.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024