Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Messageboard: A Resource 08:20 - Mar 15 with 8209 viewsD_Alien

I've just been reading about someone who's designed a simple resource to help people during the Covid-19 outbreak

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-51880695

It looks like cases are now starting to multiply in the UK, as expected, and it struck me that this messageboard could become a similar resource for its users. We tend to do this naturally anyway, for instance when there's a road closure or some kind of incident, it's often posted on here before it hits the local news outlets

But more than that. I'm thinking in terms of anyone who needs to self-isolate. The vast majority of us will have friends & family who can help, but even if there's just one person who needs something doing, its important they know they could post a request on here - perhaps not identifying themselves but including their locality/neighbourhood thus allowing anyone who lives nearby to PM them. Always taking the required precautions, both for security and prevention of spread of course

And beyond that, even if no-one needs that type of practical assistance, there may be some who are less resilient in coping psychologically with this critical phase, of unknown length and outcome. This messageboard should be a place for them to find some respite

It won't be long before major withdrawal symptoms from the normal sporting and general activities start to kick in. It's a test for the whole of our society, and beyond. Let's try to make a difference

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

This Messageboard: A Resource on 09:14 - Mar 15 with 4206 viewsSandyman

Useful resource to find out how things are in your area.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274
This Messageboard: A Resource on 09:52 - Mar 15 with 4144 viewsDaleiLama

Hear, hear. Human behaviour at its best not its worst.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

This Messageboard: A Resource on 10:51 - Mar 15 with 4058 viewsDalenet

Can't help but think that the communities across the land are going to need to be creative. if we ask the elderly and those with chronic illness to isolate we are going to need to get food to them. Half the food stocks in the UK are sat in hotels, restaurants and venues that are now almost empty. Can they come together to provide hot food to people at a low cost. They are not charities and will need to be paid. Many of the recipients can afford to pay something. Just needs some joined up thinking locally.
This Messageboard: A Resource on 11:16 - Mar 15 with 4025 views49thseason

I am effectively self isolated already, my wife has MS and a recent cold has exacerbated her symptoms and left her unable to stand for 4 days. My Mother-in-law is 91 and generally fit but she also has asthma and I have told her not to go out until summer.
Today, my niece cancelled her son's Christening, the little lad has asthma and she has very low levels of white blood cells.She spoke to a friend who is a doctor who told her she would be mad to go ahead with the Christening and that this disease is much worse than many would have us believe,.

I would simply ask that people do the right thing and stay in wherever possible, wash their hands hourly and certainly before going out and on returning home. If in doubt stay in for at least a week. Taking Vitamin D3 seems to offer some protection from respiratory diseases. My wife takes massive doses for her MS but virtually any assault on her immune system seems to cause long term damage

link to Vitamin D info by Dr John Campbell who is producing an excellent series of videos on dealing with the disease , avoiding it and how it is progressing

Shopping is going to be tricky, those of us that can, might think about doing it in the late evening or early morning. Fresh air also seems to be a good idea in the home, opening windows seems counter-productive but the warm air in modern well sealed homes probably is worse for us.

Be safe folks there is a long way to go with this yet.
This Messageboard: A Resource on 11:16 - Mar 15 with 4024 views442Dale

In the long run this could be a real turning point in the way people behave. The need to eradicate selfishness, self promotion and self obsession has been apparent for a quite a while now; the current situation requires that change.

Amongst all the uncertainty there’s an opportunity to find positives.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

This Messageboard: A Resource on 13:02 - Mar 15 with 3911 viewselectricblue

My mum is is 77 and is house bound and relies upon my brother to do her weekly shopping.
But she isnt in good health and suffers from various difficulties with her breathing and mobility and fear for her catching something brought in by anybody...
She mainly as fresh food items bought for her and she as countless packs of toiletries so she wont go short in that respect.

This morning while up pilsworth having a costa we called in the iceland food warehouse for something for tonights tea as we are away for a week looking at properties up scotland, anyway we where shocked by how the freezers hardly had anything in them and people walking around with 3 or 4 trollies.
We noticed that the asda car park was rammed and a big queue to get onto the car park and then people just driving around and this is 30mins before the doors open..

So what chance have people like my mum when these self centered idiots are moving from buying the now almost depleted dry goods and moving onto fresh produce to stock...
Besides people dying from this virus the knock on is starvation starting with the elderly in the infirm.......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

This Messageboard: A Resource on 13:29 - Mar 15 with 3874 viewsShun

This Messageboard: A Resource on 11:16 - Mar 15 by 49thseason

I am effectively self isolated already, my wife has MS and a recent cold has exacerbated her symptoms and left her unable to stand for 4 days. My Mother-in-law is 91 and generally fit but she also has asthma and I have told her not to go out until summer.
Today, my niece cancelled her son's Christening, the little lad has asthma and she has very low levels of white blood cells.She spoke to a friend who is a doctor who told her she would be mad to go ahead with the Christening and that this disease is much worse than many would have us believe,.

I would simply ask that people do the right thing and stay in wherever possible, wash their hands hourly and certainly before going out and on returning home. If in doubt stay in for at least a week. Taking Vitamin D3 seems to offer some protection from respiratory diseases. My wife takes massive doses for her MS but virtually any assault on her immune system seems to cause long term damage

link to Vitamin D info by Dr John Campbell who is producing an excellent series of videos on dealing with the disease , avoiding it and how it is progressing

Shopping is going to be tricky, those of us that can, might think about doing it in the late evening or early morning. Fresh air also seems to be a good idea in the home, opening windows seems counter-productive but the warm air in modern well sealed homes probably is worse for us.

Be safe folks there is a long way to go with this yet.

Good point about Vitamin D. I advise all my patients and, well, anyone, to take Vitamin D supplements. Generally, unless you have a specific health condition, you can get enough of any vitamin in a basic healthy diet. Vitamin D, however, is the only one that we in this country simply don’t get enough of, mainly due to the dearth of sunlight.

As you rightly point out it boost the immune system among other things. I take Vitamin D3 (10,000 units per capsule) every day and I would urge everyone to do the same.
This Messageboard: A Resource on 14:16 - Mar 15 with 3812 viewsrochdaleriddler

This Messageboard: A Resource on 13:29 - Mar 15 by Shun

Good point about Vitamin D. I advise all my patients and, well, anyone, to take Vitamin D supplements. Generally, unless you have a specific health condition, you can get enough of any vitamin in a basic healthy diet. Vitamin D, however, is the only one that we in this country simply don’t get enough of, mainly due to the dearth of sunlight.

As you rightly point out it boost the immune system among other things. I take Vitamin D3 (10,000 units per capsule) every day and I would urge everyone to do the same.

Good advice, been taking COD liver oil for ages, gives 100% of vitamin A and D, plus a multivitamin and mineral supplement, and get outside and expose some skin every day

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Login to get fewer ads

This Messageboard: A Resource on 14:22 - Mar 15 with 3809 viewsRooleyblue

This Messageboard: A Resource on 13:02 - Mar 15 by electricblue

My mum is is 77 and is house bound and relies upon my brother to do her weekly shopping.
But she isnt in good health and suffers from various difficulties with her breathing and mobility and fear for her catching something brought in by anybody...
She mainly as fresh food items bought for her and she as countless packs of toiletries so she wont go short in that respect.

This morning while up pilsworth having a costa we called in the iceland food warehouse for something for tonights tea as we are away for a week looking at properties up scotland, anyway we where shocked by how the freezers hardly had anything in them and people walking around with 3 or 4 trollies.
We noticed that the asda car park was rammed and a big queue to get onto the car park and then people just driving around and this is 30mins before the doors open..

So what chance have people like my mum when these self centered idiots are moving from buying the now almost depleted dry goods and moving onto fresh produce to stock...
Besides people dying from this virus the knock on is starvation starting with the elderly in the infirm.......

This is my fear.
I am in a similar situation to yourself with my mother electricblue.
She rang me yesterday to say she was on her last toilet roll and could I get her some as she couldn't find any in the shops she uses. ( She lives in Heywood and gets a taxi to Morrisons as she can't walk more much and is nearly 80)
I went to find her some and gave up and just gave her some of mine for now.
Due to totally selfish greedy people, people like my mum who shops on a need to buy basis can't get simple everyday products to live.
Some people need to be ashamed of themselves panic buying all the products just to gather dust in their garages of sheds etc...
They will be ok, but the elderly and people on low incomes ( who can only afford weekly shops and can't afford to bulk buy) are left to wipe their backsides on whatever they can find or the frightening thing may start to go without food.
On another note why buy all the toilet roll, my understanding was that diahorra is not an effect of the virus.
Anyway selfish greedy people, if this applies to you hang your head.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2020 14:23]
This Messageboard: A Resource on 14:29 - Mar 15 with 3791 views442Dale

As this could be a thread for advice/help etc: On the toilet roll front it’s worth trying the smaller shops like Poundland/Home Bargains which tend not to attract as many people as the supermarkets which appear to be experiencing real issues.

Of course the situation could change, but Poundland were fine for it at the end of last week.

Edit: if this leads to any selfish get going get a load when they don’t need it, then I’m aware it’s my fault. You selfish gets.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2020 14:30]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

This Messageboard: A Resource on 14:37 - Mar 15 with 3771 views49thseason

This Messageboard: A Resource on 14:22 - Mar 15 by Rooleyblue

This is my fear.
She rang me yesterday to say she was on her last toilet roll and could I get her some as she couldn't find any in the shops she uses. ( She lives in Heywood and gets a taxi to Morrisons as she can't walk more much and is nearly 80)
Due to totally selfish greedy people, people like my mum who shops on a need to buy basis can't get simple everyday products to live.
Some people need to be ashamed of themselves panic buying all the products just to gather dust in their garages of sheds etc...
They will be ok, but the elderly and people on low incomes ( who can only afford weekly shops and can't afford to bulk buy) are left to wipe their backsides on whatever they can find or the frightening thing may start to go without food.
On another note why buy all the toilet roll, my understanding was that diahorra is not an effect of the virus.

Hopefully, once people have stocked up beyond their needs they wont be doing it again any time soon and supplies will return to normal. Equally there is a limit to how many fresh foods people can stock up on before they are no longer fresh. My guess is there will be people eating pasta and rissotto for Christmas!
Apparently Manchester is like a ghost town this afternoon so maybe the worst of the initial buying surge is beginning to cool down.
This Messageboard: A Resource on 15:09 - Mar 15 with 3718 viewsTalkingSutty

This Messageboard: A Resource on 14:29 - Mar 15 by 442Dale

As this could be a thread for advice/help etc: On the toilet roll front it’s worth trying the smaller shops like Poundland/Home Bargains which tend not to attract as many people as the supermarkets which appear to be experiencing real issues.

Of course the situation could change, but Poundland were fine for it at the end of last week.

Edit: if this leads to any selfish get going get a load when they don’t need it, then I’m aware it’s my fault. You selfish gets.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2020 14:30]

According to the person who heads up the Retail sector the U.K. is one of the top toilet paper producers in the World, we export tonnes and tonnes of it every day There is literally very little chance of us running out of it. The fact that restaurants, cafes, hotels won’t be ordering food produce in the quantities that they normally would do during this crisis means that there will be a surplus of food, quite a lot will end up passing its expire date and be useless. We aren’t going to run out of produce. I have just been in Littleborough Co-Op and there are loads of toilet rolls on the shelf’s...no bread,beans or Spam though.
This Messageboard: A Resource on 15:21 - Mar 15 with 3689 viewsTVOS1907

This Messageboard: A Resource on 15:09 - Mar 15 by TalkingSutty

According to the person who heads up the Retail sector the U.K. is one of the top toilet paper producers in the World, we export tonnes and tonnes of it every day There is literally very little chance of us running out of it. The fact that restaurants, cafes, hotels won’t be ordering food produce in the quantities that they normally would do during this crisis means that there will be a surplus of food, quite a lot will end up passing its expire date and be useless. We aren’t going to run out of produce. I have just been in Littleborough Co-Op and there are loads of toilet rolls on the shelf’s...no bread,beans or Spam though.

And I bet the queues were shorter than normal, but they still required “assistance at the checkout”.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

This Messageboard: A Resource on 15:36 - Mar 15 with 3658 viewsTalkingSutty

This Messageboard: A Resource on 15:21 - Mar 15 by TVOS1907

And I bet the queues were shorter than normal, but they still required “assistance at the checkout”.

I've progressed to the self checkout option now, even had to use a machine at the airport on my holiday...insert my passport, print off boarding cards and luggage labels, attach luggage labels to suitcases. Machines are taking over the world, 'Vinegar Vera' will be out of a job soon!
This Messageboard: A Resource on 15:40 - Mar 15 with 3652 viewsBlueMessiah

This Messageboard: A Resource on 14:22 - Mar 15 by Rooleyblue

This is my fear.

You're always going to get these selfish idiots panic buying because they think they're getting ahead of the game - they just look like hysteric fools. I nipped into Aldi at Heywood on Friday to pick up some fresh veg for my tea. It was utter carnage. There were a couple of tools with 3 trolleys between them full of all kinds of rubbish, they probably don't need. They were both wearing decorators' dust masks!!
Apparently the co-op on Rooley Moor Rd where my elderly mum shops are limiting customers to 3 units only of certain items - bog roll, handwash, pasta etc . You cant ever buy more than 2 packs of Paracetamol, so I'm sure all the supermarkets can limit the purchase of any item - if they want to. Its in their hands to put a stop to this madness.

Poll: Do I Know You?

This Messageboard: A Resource on 19:20 - Mar 15 with 3507 viewspioneer

This Messageboard: A Resource on 15:40 - Mar 15 by BlueMessiah

You're always going to get these selfish idiots panic buying because they think they're getting ahead of the game - they just look like hysteric fools. I nipped into Aldi at Heywood on Friday to pick up some fresh veg for my tea. It was utter carnage. There were a couple of tools with 3 trolleys between them full of all kinds of rubbish, they probably don't need. They were both wearing decorators' dust masks!!
Apparently the co-op on Rooley Moor Rd where my elderly mum shops are limiting customers to 3 units only of certain items - bog roll, handwash, pasta etc . You cant ever buy more than 2 packs of Paracetamol, so I'm sure all the supermarkets can limit the purchase of any item - if they want to. Its in their hands to put a stop to this madness.

Sadly they need to be ‘encouraged’ to do this by government because its the one sector of the economy that is booming at the moment.
This Messageboard: A Resource on 20:19 - Mar 15 with 3432 viewsSuddenLad

This Messageboard: A Resource on 15:40 - Mar 15 by BlueMessiah

Aldi have announced that every customer will be limited to 4 of the same item, regardless of the product, whether it's packs of bog rolls, or bacon. That is a sensible approach.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

This Messageboard: A Resource on 20:47 - Mar 15 with 3401 viewsrochdaleriddler

This Messageboard: A Resource on 20:19 - Mar 15 by SuddenLad

Aldi have announced that every customer will be limited to 4 of the same item, regardless of the product, whether it's packs of bog rolls, or bacon. That is a sensible approach.

Four 24 packs of toilet roll is still a lot

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

This Messageboard: A Resource on 01:34 - Mar 16 with 3320 viewsdownunder

This Messageboard: A Resource on 20:47 - Mar 15 by rochdaleriddler

Four 24 packs of toilet roll is still a lot

I am sure there are some on here that remember cut up Observer and Evening News in the outside lav. Rather ironic in a way, considering the content of many newspapers these days is crap.
This Messageboard: A Resource on 06:15 - Mar 16 with 3156 viewsTalkingSutty

This Messageboard: A Resource on 01:34 - Mar 16 by downunder

I am sure there are some on here that remember cut up Observer and Evening News in the outside lav. Rather ironic in a way, considering the content of many newspapers these days is crap.

Cut up Pink Final was best, i once deliberately cut out a perfect 6 inch action photo of Craig Madden!😉
This Messageboard: A Resource on 08:43 - Mar 16 with 3077 viewsDaleiLama

This Messageboard: A Resource on 13:29 - Mar 15 by Shun

Thanks for posting original advice 49th and for your post Shun. Where is best place to get these please. As an asthmatic prone to chest infections I'd like to get some pronto.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

This Messageboard: A Resource on 09:07 - Mar 16 with 3061 viewsD_Alien

This Messageboard: A Resource on 08:43 - Mar 16 by DaleiLama

Thanks for posting original advice 49th and for your post Shun. Where is best place to get these please. As an asthmatic prone to chest infections I'd like to get some pronto.

I take cod liver oil capsules daily, contains vit D3. Get it from Healthspan (online) due to quality/price

In the immediate term, any Holland & Barrett's shop will stock it (whilst they're still open), and may have D3-only supplements

[Post edited 16 Mar 2020 9:17]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

This Messageboard: A Resource on 12:32 - Mar 16 with 2974 viewsShun

Have a search around online for the best price. As DA says, Holland & Barrett will have them but they’d be cheaper online. Try and go for 10,000 units capsules. I bought a 365-day supply for less than £20 I think. Since taking them I’ve felt a lot less generally fatigued.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2020 12:33]
This Messageboard: A Resource on 14:11 - Mar 16 with 2881 views49thseason

This Messageboard: A Resource on 01:34 - Mar 16 by downunder

I have cosidered making an offer for the unsold copies of the Guardian at my local petrol station , it would ease the pain of having no andrex considerably.
This Messageboard: A Resource on 14:14 - Mar 16 with 2870 views49thseason

Amazon you can get tablets, sprays or capsules, get the highest IU value you can .
I just bought a spray for my lad.. 3000 IUs 365 shots £10.00 ish
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024