Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. 13:43 - Feb 19 with 19575 viewsBigKindo

It gives me great sadness to have to add yet another thread re the parlous state of Rochdale AFC. In recent times, in remaining silent, I have constantly had to bite my bottom lip. Alas enough is enough and my feelings should be laid bare.
I first attended a match at the Dale in 1949 and have been a season ticket holder for many years, perhaps more than I care to remember especially if I added up the cost. Not so much in recent seasons but I have occasionally attended away matches and been warmly greeted by fellow Daleys in hostelries as far away as Barnet, Wycombe, Torquay, Newport, Brentford etc. I have experienced many highs and sadly the many lows coupled with following a poorly supported club. But despite not being born in Rochdale, the Dale have been my team. My defence of the club following snide and sarcastic comments from supporters of other ’bigger’ clubs has honed the sharpness of my retorts. But now the same commentators have turned to express concern and sadness, and question what has gone wrong at Dale..
Unless things change within the upper echelons of the Club I fear that this will be my and my wife’s last season of attending. Ah I hear you mutter. ‘another wanting rid of BBM.’ Well although that may help the situation, but as others have so eloquently written, BBM. might become the sacrificial lamb in an attempt to divert attention away from the serious situation at the club. If BBM departs there will be no changes further up the pecking order.
My feelings are that the wheels started to come off on the appointment of the current C.E.O. Mr David Bottomley. The club is no longer family friendly orientated and Mr Bottomley appears to have ignored the need for customers and appears to take us, well certainly in my case, for granted. What a very strange way to run a business.
On August 21st 2020 I sent Mr Bottomley a polite email requesting the Club’s policy for the forthcoming season re Blue Badge Car Parking pass holders. I sent a reminder email to him on September 17th. 2020. I thereafter received a response from the then Club Secretary. On October 2nd. 2020 I sent a further email to Mr Bottomley, which I felt to be constructive, re the Club’s offer to refund season ticket monies. Again no response. In week ending October 16th. I received a telephone call from another Board Member i.e. the Club’s courtesy call made to those considered vulnerable during the pandemic. The subject of my email was raised, a requested copy was forwarded, and I was assured that the matter would be taken up with the C.E.O. I also understand that similar approaches were made by the Trust on my behalf. To date I have heard nothing from Mr Bottomley. I have not even had the courtesy of an acknowledgment re my last email. What a very odd way to treat any customer either long-standing or new.
Having successfully run my own business for 40 years I certainly know the value of paying loyal customers, and suppliers, and as a Director the need to comply with the various statutory bodies examples being the Information Commissioners Office, Trading Standards Office, P.R.S. Licensing etc. I am extremely interested to know that when the position of C.E.O. became available, and prior to Mr Bottomley’s appointment, was the position advertised, how many applications were received, how many were interviewed and who decided whom was the best candidate? Or, perhaps, as rumours suggest you opted to fulfil the position yourself. There appears to be some disquiet over a previous decision to take away the ‘Club privileges’ from two ex long-serving (suffering?) Directors, privileges which thankfully were later re-instated. But the rumour mill has also thrown up that other ex long-standing Directors are currently banned from the Club. Is this fact or an Apocrypha?
Hopefully the previous paragraph has given Mr Bottomley a platform, an opportunity, to respond and refute these constantly circulating rumours to the benefit of the Club, his own position and the Club’s loyal supporters. Answers are needed and quickly before the situation deteriorates. But will he respond? Previous experience says no and that ignorance is bliss.
And now yesterday’s news that the Chairman had decided to stand down. ‘For personal reasons’ can mean a multitude of things. Hopefully it is not a health issue. I had several occasions to speak with him after matches and I found him to be polite and he always thanked me for attending the match.
So it appears that the question I pose, perhaps, is that Team Rochdale has become Team Bottomley. In the end all Empires sooner or later collapse. The problem is the remaining detritus which has to be garnered up by others in an attempt to restore the norm. This has all makings and content of a Shakespearean Tragedy and however long the situation is spun out the end result will be the same.
Can anybody provide an answer? I certainly know what my solution would be.
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 15:53 - Feb 19 with 7051 viewsjohnn

Well said big Kindon,missing our dicussions
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 16:37 - Feb 19 with 6925 viewsgolfaduffy

A splendid post that echoes my dealings with Mr B entirely. He seems to completely ignore people who don't rub up to him in the hope that they will go away.
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 17:11 - Feb 19 with 6822 viewsSuddenLad

WoW BigKIndo, that's sure an eye-opener. There are many unanswered questions that need clarification. There is evidently a toxic atmosphere being created which needs eradicating.

If those people in the relevant positions don't get it sorted, there will be supporters who just won't return in person. It's easier, more comfortable, warmer and less hassle to watch at home.

Anyone who proposes to increase charges for next season - either on admission, catering, bar prices or anywhere else - is effectively closing turnstiles.

The 'Team Rochdale' mantra is now meaningless. Gone. Attitudes and ideas need to change.

Never mind building a corporate empire. Use the existing finances to increase the presence on the field and support the man you have chosen to do the job as manager.

We have seen some excellent performances (too few) yet with only a few absences (Beesley, McShane, O'Connell, Ryan) the frailties are sadly and cruelly exposed.

We all love this club, but there needs to be a change of direction and a serious re-think about priorities.

It's not too late. Yet.

Come clean about the Baah situation, more openness is needed to supporters (not matters of individual or corporate confidentiality).

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 18:45 - Feb 19 with 6596 viewsEd_Ingley

Dearest Kid Bingo
One of my cadre of interns has finally brought to my attention your recent email, and as ever my door is open, especially if you have a mic and camera.
Deepest apologies that you have had to wait for me to patronise you Bog Kleaner. It appears your email was lost among the incoming deluge of applications from talented people from all walks of life from as far away as Bacup and Westhoughton, Europe. No one works as hard as me,me, me or my team who are all on furlough so we have had to employ more of them. Did I tell you how hard working I am? And the most professional? Anything else is just fake news.
I note with interest that you had a job in customer services or something, which is highly commendable, so I am sure you can appreciate it when someone so steeped in a successful business career as me, me me can undoubtedly teach you a thing or two about it.
The only sure way to grow a business is to keep putting prices up. Of everything. Then if it does not sell, put it up some more because then it will mean more revenue. If it sells. I had a very successful job doing just that, but eventually judged staying there was a high price to pay so I moved on to create the 15th biggest company in the world. Of protractors. I then sold it when my partner bought me out and I ran another successful company until my dream job came up just about 2 years after my last pay packet.
I hope that you realise that even though I work so hard , harder than the hardest working hard worker in harworkville, I still have time for new fans like yourself and am so delighted that you have got yourself a blue Dale badge from our excellent choice at the club superstore that I set up.
So, Mr Bisto, what was it you wanted?

As ever, you servant
Best
D
Have Sky Sports News not been on for me yet, Killy? Killy? Killy?
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 18:52 - Feb 19 with 6555 viewsBillyRudd

Can I humbly congratulate your years of service to the cause. I thought I had some years in but it does,nt come close.
I can understand how this issue must rankle with you and lets hope that sooner rather than later you get a response. It seems an ideal issue for the trust to take up cudgels on your behalf.
However my reason for posting is to beseech you to think twice before not attending San Spotty again. If you and your good lady still derive pleasure from games then don,t let this issue deny you the pleasure.
Remember that the present incumbents are just that. They are,nt Rochdale A.F.C. anymore than the groundsmans assistant is, regardless of their seemingly exalted position. Staff, players, managers, directors, Chaiman, President, they all come and go. Chris Dunphy was humble enough to recognise he was but merely a custodian.
Someone with your record of support is far more the soul of the club and long may it continue. Albeit with one caveat, if the present football ethos makes you throw in the towel, I can certainly relate to that.
Up the Dale.
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 21:57 - Feb 19 with 6199 viewsYorkshire_Dale

I agree with Ruddy........don't whatever you do give up your fine support, stick with it and the Club....as Dylan says "times they are a changing " and will continue to do so.

People at the top will come and go......some are indeed chancers and others are downright good too. Folks on here are not stupid. We know that gems like Cloughie are a rarity but there are a host of die hard supporters both on the terraces and at Board level who really want success for this Club.

Continue to play your part Big K....there are not many of us.
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 21:57 - Feb 19 with 6197 viewsSuddenLad

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 18:52 - Feb 19 by BillyRudd

Can I humbly congratulate your years of service to the cause. I thought I had some years in but it does,nt come close.
I can understand how this issue must rankle with you and lets hope that sooner rather than later you get a response. It seems an ideal issue for the trust to take up cudgels on your behalf.
However my reason for posting is to beseech you to think twice before not attending San Spotty again. If you and your good lady still derive pleasure from games then don,t let this issue deny you the pleasure.
Remember that the present incumbents are just that. They are,nt Rochdale A.F.C. anymore than the groundsmans assistant is, regardless of their seemingly exalted position. Staff, players, managers, directors, Chaiman, President, they all come and go. Chris Dunphy was humble enough to recognise he was but merely a custodian.
Someone with your record of support is far more the soul of the club and long may it continue. Albeit with one caveat, if the present football ethos makes you throw in the towel, I can certainly relate to that.
Up the Dale.

I can't fathom why or how this post has attracted 3 'down votes' from other message board users.

Billy Rudd is doing no more than encouraging someone to carry on supporting the club, despite having justifiable grievances which make him question his value as a supporter of 70 (SEVENTY) years.

The rest of the post is simple and true. The people who hold the posts at the club are temporary custodians, not permanent fixtures in the same way that supporters are.

Those posts will (hopefully) always be filled by the most suitable applicants after the relevant selection process, for a fair remuneration.

No-one applies to be a supporter. We are all here because of a mutual love for the club and the team. It's part of our DNA. not for hire or transfer. We may disagree with fellow supporters about many things but we never jump ship to another club.

Attracting negative responses or dissenting voices for what he said is baffling and worrying.

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 22:02 - Feb 19 with 6175 viewsD_Alien

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 21:57 - Feb 19 by SuddenLad

I can't fathom why or how this post has attracted 3 'down votes' from other message board users.

Billy Rudd is doing no more than encouraging someone to carry on supporting the club, despite having justifiable grievances which make him question his value as a supporter of 70 (SEVENTY) years.

The rest of the post is simple and true. The people who hold the posts at the club are temporary custodians, not permanent fixtures in the same way that supporters are.

Those posts will (hopefully) always be filled by the most suitable applicants after the relevant selection process, for a fair remuneration.

No-one applies to be a supporter. We are all here because of a mutual love for the club and the team. It's part of our DNA. not for hire or transfer. We may disagree with fellow supporters about many things but we never jump ship to another club.

Attracting negative responses or dissenting voices for what he said is baffling and worrying.

It's the same three that downvoted the OP...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 22:05 - Feb 19 with 6166 viewsIOMDale

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 22:02 - Feb 19 by D_Alien

Once is a mistake, twice is stupidity.

UTDNFS

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 22:05 - Feb 19 with 6159 viewsjudd

It's the same 3 who appeared to swoop like kids at the same time, declaring their myopic love for all things Bottomley.

Well, take a look at the level of posts just this week from so many different posters who have woken up to the mess his management has created.

The disdain shown towards Bigkindo by the CE and his acolytes on here is nothing short of despicable.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 22:09 - Feb 19 with 6134 viewsD_Alien

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 22:05 - Feb 19 by judd

It's the same 3 who appeared to swoop like kids at the same time, declaring their myopic love for all things Bottomley.

Well, take a look at the level of posts just this week from so many different posters who have woken up to the mess his management has created.

The disdain shown towards Bigkindo by the CE and his acolytes on here is nothing short of despicable.

The post of Messageboard Analyst will be advertised next, to provide reports on who's making heartfelt pleas for some sense to be restored at the club, and who's voting for and agin

[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 22:10]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 22:12 - Feb 19 with 6113 viewsIOMDale

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 22:09 - Feb 19 by D_Alien

The post of Messageboard Analyst will be advertised next, to provide reports on who's making heartfelt pleas for some sense to be restored at the club, and who's voting for and agin

I think you give our esteemed CEO too much credit here DA. He’s nowhere near honest enough to make a public song and dance about it - especially when there’s underlings who can do the donkey work for him and report back.

UTDNFS

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 22:22 - Feb 19 with 6053 viewsSuddenLad

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 22:02 - Feb 19 by D_Alien

I think there is a select chosen band, who work in shifts, monitoring posts, casting votes and then preparing a report for the next day.

"Have it on my desk, first thing"

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 22:24 - Feb 19 with 6045 viewsjoecooke

I wish box 8 like the old days was still knocking about! i can only imagine the conversations that could have been had with the current incumbents of our club.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 22:26]

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 09:43 - Feb 20 with 5703 viewsBigKindo

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 15:53 - Feb 19 by johnn

Well said big Kindon,missing our dicussions

Thank you.
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 09:46 - Feb 20 with 5692 viewsBigKindo

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 16:37 - Feb 19 by golfaduffy

A splendid post that echoes my dealings with Mr B entirely. He seems to completely ignore people who don't rub up to him in the hope that they will go away.

.. and I intend not to go away. I await with interest the appointment of a new Chairman. I am putting my money on it being Mr Bottomley who will turn it into a paid position and another line of Empire building.
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 09:52 - Feb 20 with 5673 viewsBigKindo

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 17:11 - Feb 19 by SuddenLad

WoW BigKIndo, that's sure an eye-opener. There are many unanswered questions that need clarification. There is evidently a toxic atmosphere being created which needs eradicating.

If those people in the relevant positions don't get it sorted, there will be supporters who just won't return in person. It's easier, more comfortable, warmer and less hassle to watch at home.

Anyone who proposes to increase charges for next season - either on admission, catering, bar prices or anywhere else - is effectively closing turnstiles.

The 'Team Rochdale' mantra is now meaningless. Gone. Attitudes and ideas need to change.

Never mind building a corporate empire. Use the existing finances to increase the presence on the field and support the man you have chosen to do the job as manager.

We have seen some excellent performances (too few) yet with only a few absences (Beesley, McShane, O'Connell, Ryan) the frailties are sadly and cruelly exposed.

We all love this club, but there needs to be a change of direction and a serious re-think about priorities.

It's not too late. Yet.

Come clean about the Baah situation, more openness is needed to supporters (not matters of individual or corporate confidentiality).

Thank you for taking the opportunity to raise other topics. We have known each other a very long time and sadly the days of a pint or two in The Two Ships have long disappeared. I can assure you that at this time I have had no response from the Club. So I have received neither the offer of a paid executive position nor free season tickets. My ambitions of an appointment as Director of Pies are being frustrated. Still there is time.
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 09:54 - Feb 20 with 5665 viewsBigKindo

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 18:45 - Feb 19 by Ed_Ingley

Dearest Kid Bingo
One of my cadre of interns has finally brought to my attention your recent email, and as ever my door is open, especially if you have a mic and camera.
Deepest apologies that you have had to wait for me to patronise you Bog Kleaner. It appears your email was lost among the incoming deluge of applications from talented people from all walks of life from as far away as Bacup and Westhoughton, Europe. No one works as hard as me,me, me or my team who are all on furlough so we have had to employ more of them. Did I tell you how hard working I am? And the most professional? Anything else is just fake news.
I note with interest that you had a job in customer services or something, which is highly commendable, so I am sure you can appreciate it when someone so steeped in a successful business career as me, me me can undoubtedly teach you a thing or two about it.
The only sure way to grow a business is to keep putting prices up. Of everything. Then if it does not sell, put it up some more because then it will mean more revenue. If it sells. I had a very successful job doing just that, but eventually judged staying there was a high price to pay so I moved on to create the 15th biggest company in the world. Of protractors. I then sold it when my partner bought me out and I ran another successful company until my dream job came up just about 2 years after my last pay packet.
I hope that you realise that even though I work so hard , harder than the hardest working hard worker in harworkville, I still have time for new fans like yourself and am so delighted that you have got yourself a blue Dale badge from our excellent choice at the club superstore that I set up.
So, Mr Bisto, what was it you wanted?

As ever, you servant
Best
D
Have Sky Sports News not been on for me yet, Killy? Killy? Killy?

Is that you Donald? How's life down in Florida? Golf going OK?
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 10:02 - Feb 20 with 5630 viewsBigKindo

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 18:52 - Feb 19 by BillyRudd

Up the Dale.

Thank you. The abject performances at home this season have caused dismay. However I will be watching the game this afternoon (and hope that it stops raining). The problem is that the incumbents, one in particular, seem to be immovable. As I have already commented who will there to pick up the pieces if and when Mr Bottomley departs that is if there are pieces to be to pick up. I feel that by that time we will all be driving Government issued electric cars and long closed down libraries will be re-opened.
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 10:03 - Feb 20 with 5627 viewsBigKindo

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 21:57 - Feb 19 by Yorkshire_Dale

I agree with Ruddy........don't whatever you do give up your fine support, stick with it and the Club....as Dylan says "times they are a changing " and will continue to do so.

People at the top will come and go......some are indeed chancers and others are downright good too. Folks on here are not stupid. We know that gems like Cloughie are a rarity but there are a host of die hard supporters both on the terraces and at Board level who really want success for this Club.

Continue to play your part Big K....there are not many of us.

Thank you. See my response to Ruddy.
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 10:25 - Feb 20 with 5584 viewsBigKindo

Perhaps a personal vendetta? If they are supporters of Bottomley maybe they should have had a go at me and post an opinion on this thread. But they won't, or will they?
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 10:26 - Feb 20 with 5583 viewsBigKindo

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 22:05 - Feb 19 by IOMDale

Once is a mistake, twice is stupidity.

... three times a lady.
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 10:28 - Feb 20 with 5570 viewsBigKindo

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 22:05 - Feb 19 by judd

Thanks Judd. Any chance you can pop around and give me a hug? I have chardonnay.
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 10:30 - Feb 20 with 5553 viewsBigKindo

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 22:09 - Feb 19 by D_Alien

Could be a position of potential interest to me as the offer of Director of Pies is now unlikely to be in my extensive portfolio.
Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 10:36 - Feb 20 with 6474 viewsBigKindo

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. on 22:12 - Feb 19 by IOMDale

I think you give our esteemed CEO too much credit here DA. He’s nowhere near honest enough to make a public song and dance about it - especially when there’s underlings who can do the donkey work for him and report back.

A low profile from the CEO. Come off it. I expect to see him on the next series of 'Strictly'
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024