Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rochdale v Rochdale 09:55 - Aug 23 with 1805 viewsborntogo

The game yesterday was typical of so many played out last season away from home. Keith seems very keen to engineer these near-'lockdowns' where we load the midfield so it becomes basically a training drill where we might, or might not, create an overload in certain areas and sneak a goal or two, and a win.

It works, to a point, but I can't help thinking we'd profit much more if we played more progressively - that 'we'll score one more goal than you' philosophy Keith brought to the team when he was first appointed.

I know it's a higher division and we play clubs of greater resources but the predictable way we play safe, short six yard passes (often backwards or sideways) isn't going to bring any more fans through the door.

Looking at the squad yesterday - which Hill has done brilliant to assemble - it felt as if we had to beat our own team selection (Bunney? Kennedy?) and tactics (Henderson doing the yard-dog shift which left him whacked out and unable to play his killer passes on the rare time he had the ball. Calvin Andrew on the wing?) before we could think about beating Chesterfield.

Interesting to note: after the match, Keith said it was a game that, last season, we might have lost. Funny way to look at it because it was a game, this season, we should have won.
Rochdale v Rochdale on 10:04 - Aug 23 with 1758 viewszxcvbnm

Keith says we should have won though

Poll: Best loanee keeper

Rochdale v Rochdale on 10:36 - Aug 23 with 1639 views442Dale

But it was a game where the players, with better decision making and finishing, missed an opportunity to show how well the system works.

We've had two very successful seasons under Hill at this level playing a similar way; it's proven to be suited to his teams and gets results. When we break there are often 5 or 6 players supporting the attack and both full backs are offensive options within 30-40 yards of goal.

One of our main problems last season was defending set-pieces and with the zonal marking this has been addressed so far. Offensively we've had Allen in the deep midfield more often than not and with his choice of pass often being one that's incisive, I can't see how much more progressive we could be. It's all about opinions of course, but I think the dip in form of Henderson has a bigger overall impact on the way we might look at how we're playing.

A midfield three that has Donal McDermott playing an almost free role is as creative as you'll get at this level.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Rochdale v Rochdale on 11:01 - Aug 23 with 1559 viewsdingdangblue

If we beat Barnsley next Saturday at Spotland then this draw becomes a great point gained.
5 games : 10 points great start
5 games : 8 points good start
5 games : 7 points average start

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Rochdale v Rochdale on 12:16 - Aug 23 with 1429 views1949er

Exactly my opinion. Comments I have made between the difference in tactics from Billy's original appointment to the style we play now.(sorry ,hilly not billy) do other fans feel we should play a more attacking game at home and more conservative style away?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

Rochdale v Rochdale on 12:24 - Aug 23 with 1398 viewsisitme

Hill commented that we lost far too many games last season.

I couldn't go yesterday but from the other games it is not as if we are not creating chances, or playing boring, negative football. The game has moved on since Hill took over originally. Playing with two wingers in a 442 system would would often leave us exposed and we would probably struggle in this league.

Football is about getting results. It is not as if we are a John Beck side is it.
Rochdale v Rochdale on 12:24 - Aug 23 with 1397 viewsaleanddale

Rochdale v Rochdale on 11:01 - Aug 23 by dingdangblue

If we beat Barnsley next Saturday at Spotland then this draw becomes a great point gained.
5 games : 10 points great start
5 games : 8 points good start
5 games : 7 points average start

Exactly this DDB.
Rochdale v Rochdale on 18:37 - Aug 23 with 1177 viewsdingdangblue

Rochdale v Rochdale on 12:16 - Aug 23 by 1949er

Exactly my opinion. Comments I have made between the difference in tactics from Billy's original appointment to the style we play now.(sorry ,hilly not billy) do other fans feel we should play a more attacking game at home and more conservative style away?

Well we've got 4 points from 2 away games and not conceded a goal yet so cant see any tactical problems personally.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024