Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town Centre Redevelopment 21:07 - Apr 7 with 15387 viewsfinberty

Does anyone know the latest state of play with regard to the redevelopment? A flying start appeared to take place with the new bus station, council offices and tram stop. The black box and old bus station were flattened, as were St Andrew's Church and Broadwater Hall, to be replaced with - well - pay & display parking. And plenty of it.
The river is being opened up. Telegraph House is supposedly being flattened, but I walked past it last week so it still seems to be there. There is no sign whatsoever of new building works, plans, ideas, just the odd announcement in the Ob that Next and M&S are interested.

Does anyone have any info on what we can expect?
Town Centre Redevelopment on 21:34 - Apr 7 with 8309 viewsrochedale

http://www.rochdaletowncentre.com/

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Town Centre Redevelopment on 00:02 - Apr 8 with 8129 viewsYorkshire_Dale

That lot does n't make up for the loss of Louise Butterworth's Jewellers Shop on Drake Street!

Sad days!!!
Town Centre Redevelopment on 00:37 - Apr 8 with 8101 viewsShun

I'm friends with a manager of McDonalds (high flyer), and she says the much publicised exodus of McDonalds from our town centre was only because the council were demanding they sign a lease for another 10 years. McDonalds were aware of the plans to build a new shopping centre and wanted to be in there, rather than the high street.

McFascinating.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 01:47 - Apr 8 with 8079 viewsanotherbiffo

If it's owt like Oldham's town centre developement it'll be shit.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 07:11 - Apr 8 with 8013 viewsrochedale

There are 25 retail units, with M&S and Next already confirmed, to make it an ideal shopping experience, for me, they need to add... Debenhams, Topshop, Topman, Nando's/5 guys/Prezzo/Pizza express/Las iguanas (any 2/3 of those), Hotel Chocolate (or Thorntons), H&M, Primark, sports outlet - ideally JD, selfridges would never happen but would be awesome, electrical/gadget store, Mothercare, Gap, with the rest being made up of local independent stores including clothing, deli and leisure. This kind of presence would cater for most and surely attract a more pleasant level of clientele. One can dream...

Town Centre Redevelopment on 15:21 - Apr 8 with 7814 views1mark1

Town Centre Redevelopment on 00:37 - Apr 8 by Shun

I'm friends with a manager of McDonalds (high flyer), and she says the much publicised exodus of McDonalds from our town centre was only because the council were demanding they sign a lease for another 10 years. McDonalds were aware of the plans to build a new shopping centre and wanted to be in there, rather than the high street.

McFascinating.

Do the Council actually own the building that McDonalds actually were in?
The only problem about them leaving was that it was a symptom of how bad things are or had become in Rochdale.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Town Centre Redevelopment on 18:17 - Apr 8 with 7685 viewselectricblue

Town Centre Redevelopment on 07:11 - Apr 8 by rochedale

There are 25 retail units, with M&S and Next already confirmed, to make it an ideal shopping experience, for me, they need to add... Debenhams, Topshop, Topman, Nando's/5 guys/Prezzo/Pizza express/Las iguanas (any 2/3 of those), Hotel Chocolate (or Thorntons), H&M, Primark, sports outlet - ideally JD, selfridges would never happen but would be awesome, electrical/gadget store, Mothercare, Gap, with the rest being made up of local independent stores including clothing, deli and leisure. This kind of presence would cater for most and surely attract a more pleasant level of clientele. One can dream...

Add costa to that list......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Town Centre Redevelopment on 20:12 - Apr 8 with 7578 viewsrochedale

Town Centre Redevelopment on 18:17 - Apr 8 by electricblue

Add costa to that list......

I would've but we've already got one. I know we already have an M&S but that is already agreed and supposedly a much bigger store...

Login to get fewer ads

Town Centre Redevelopment on 22:55 - Apr 9 with 7266 viewsraadale

Town Centre Redevelopment on 15:21 - Apr 8 by 1mark1

Do the Council actually own the building that McDonalds actually were in?
The only problem about them leaving was that it was a symptom of how bad things are or had become in Rochdale.

No they don't it's all private companies. On Yorkshire street the council own squat that's why it's dead. Big companies own most of the buildings through shell companies etc etc, and don't care two hoots if the buildings are inhabited or not. I heard the same about McDonalds apparently the landlord wanted a 20 year lease at double the existing rate. McDonalds quite rightly told him to F~ off.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 23:25 - Apr 9 with 7235 views1mark1

Town Centre Redevelopment on 22:55 - Apr 9 by raadale

No they don't it's all private companies. On Yorkshire street the council own squat that's why it's dead. Big companies own most of the buildings through shell companies etc etc, and don't care two hoots if the buildings are inhabited or not. I heard the same about McDonalds apparently the landlord wanted a 20 year lease at double the existing rate. McDonalds quite rightly told him to F~ off.

I thought that was the case. That's why I asked the question. The Council played no part in the decision of McDonalds to leave, it was a private landlord who were trying to screw McDonalds, though to be honest McDonalds are not exactly angels when it comes to dealing with others. In the end they were not doing enough business to justify paying a lot more rent. They will be back in the Town Centre soon enough if they believe they can sell enough food to make lots of money.

Agree with what you say regarding the owners of most of the buildings.

Town Centre Redevelopment on 23:49 - Apr 9 with 7209 views1mark1

Has the Townhead junction work, been finished yet, fitting the new filter light?

To think it was first started in 2007 , having been agreed by the then Lib Dem council, removing the old roundabout. What do regular users think, is it better now, or was it better when it was a roundabout? Personally I never had a problem with it as a roundabout, but I never had to use it a lot.

Town Centre Redevelopment on 08:19 - Apr 10 with 7097 viewsmingthemerciless

If people would stop shooting through on red lights it would be a lot safer. Is it me or are people doing this more often. Not just at this junction but at other traffic lights in town.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 09:03 - Apr 10 with 7058 viewsroccydaleian

Town Centre Redevelopment on 08:19 - Apr 10 by mingthemerciless

If people would stop shooting through on red lights it would be a lot safer. Is it me or are people doing this more often. Not just at this junction but at other traffic lights in town.

It should have been left as a roundabout, absolute shambles and complete waste of money imo.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 11:36 - Apr 10 with 6981 viewsKenBoon

Town Centre Redevelopment on 08:19 - Apr 10 by mingthemerciless

It is happening a lot more. I saw a car go through on Red the other day. The fool must not have taken into consideration that on the other side of the junction there was a crossing, which by the time he'd gotten there had turned green for crossing rather than letting traffic from another direction come through. He'd have knocked down a young kid had his mum not noticed and stopped him crossing.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 12:21 - Apr 10 with 6940 viewsisitme

Town Centre Redevelopment on 09:03 - Apr 10 by roccydaleian

It should have been left as a roundabout, absolute shambles and complete waste of money imo.

I agree. Yet the council roll out the same line about having no money when they can waste it on Townhead, appoint five new managers, employ numerous consultancy firms and have a chief executive being paid over £150,000.

I often fine that the red light runners seem to share a number of common characteristics.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 13:21 - Apr 10 with 6877 viewsD_Alien

Town Centre Redevelopment on 12:21 - Apr 10 by isitme

I agree. Yet the council roll out the same line about having no money when they can waste it on Townhead, appoint five new managers, employ numerous consultancy firms and have a chief executive being paid over £150,000.

I often fine that the red light runners seem to share a number of common characteristics.

Re: common characteristcs

Could that be a general disregard to any traffic rule and possibly include no insurance or even a licence? Complete indifference to other road users, including pedestrians? An inability to flick an indicator stalk, even if they were aware there was such a thing?

Might the vehicle of choice be a Merc, usually black, with blacked-out windows?

Don't we all give such vehicles a wide berth, knowing the above? Don't the police seem to give them a wide berth too?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Town Centre Redevelopment on 16:13 - Apr 10 with 6794 views49thseason

Apparently anyone from the EU can drive in the UK using their country of origin licence without having to take another test I wonder what sort of driving test they have in Latvia or Romania and does it cover driving on the left?
Of course, there is a section of our local population that might have UK driving licences but who seem to think that minor things like red lights, speed limits and road signs are for other people to worry about. The current weapon of choice that I keep seeing is a white Audi A8 driven by Lewis Hamilton's uglier and undoubtedly less proficient cousin. Perhaps I should by a dashboard camera - maybe we all should?
Town Centre Redevelopment on 16:32 - Apr 10 with 6770 views1mark1

Town Centre Redevelopment on 16:13 - Apr 10 by 49thseason

Apparently anyone from the EU can drive in the UK using their country of origin licence without having to take another test I wonder what sort of driving test they have in Latvia or Romania and does it cover driving on the left?
Of course, there is a section of our local population that might have UK driving licences but who seem to think that minor things like red lights, speed limits and road signs are for other people to worry about. The current weapon of choice that I keep seeing is a white Audi A8 driven by Lewis Hamilton's uglier and undoubtedly less proficient cousin. Perhaps I should by a dashboard camera - maybe we all should?

Yes and anyone from the UK can drive in another EU country on the right hand side of the road, without having prior experience of doing so, or being tested to do so. I think in general the vast majority if not all of European countries gave at least the same rigorous testing for driving as this country, even Latvia and Romania. Maybe there should be a EU standard of testing.

Town Centre Redevelopment on 17:33 - Apr 10 with 6718 viewssince58

Town Centre Redevelopment on 13:21 - Apr 10 by D_Alien

Re: common characteristcs

Could that be a general disregard to any traffic rule and possibly include no insurance or even a licence? Complete indifference to other road users, including pedestrians? An inability to flick an indicator stalk, even if they were aware there was such a thing?

Might the vehicle of choice be a Merc, usually black, with blacked-out windows?

Don't we all give such vehicles a wide berth, knowing the above? Don't the police seem to give them a wide berth too?

No usually a B.M.W.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 17:39 - Apr 10 with 6710 viewssince58

Town Centre Redevelopment on 17:33 - Apr 10 by since58

No usually a B.M.W.

Just got cut up by one on Halifax Road today nearly killed me and the wife.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 17:43 - Apr 10 with 6696 viewsmingthemerciless

In my experience the problem drivers don't look like Europeans.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 17:51 - Apr 10 with 6681 viewssince58

Town Centre Redevelopment on 17:43 - Apr 10 by mingthemerciless

In my experience the problem drivers don't look like Europeans.

No not usually driving beemers.
Town Centre Redevelopment on 18:03 - Apr 10 with 6664 views1mark1

Well I have been cut up and seen dangerous driving by all types of cars, from small types to big types, from Fiestas to Jags, from Micras to Land Rovers and from all types of drivers from younger to older, white, black, brown etc, etc.

Usually though I don't notice the actual driver as I am more concerned with the ton of metal that is threatening my existence. Oh yes, many of the examples of bad driving are carried out by so called professional drivers.

Town Centre Redevelopment on 18:07 - Apr 10 with 6657 views1mark1

Town Centre Redevelopment on 17:51 - Apr 10 by since58

No not usually driving beemers.

Can pick up BMW, Jags, etc for less than 1000 notes, nowadays.

Town Centre Redevelopment on 18:15 - Apr 10 with 6643 viewssince58

Town Centre Redevelopment on 18:07 - Apr 10 by 1mark1

Can pick up BMW, Jags, etc for less than 1000 notes, nowadays.

Not the ones who are selling Colombian marching powder.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024