Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rio 12:16 - Aug 14 with 9422 viewsD_Alien

A week in, and it barely seems to be registering with a lot of people.

Maybe after the brilliant London games in 2012, the Rio Olympics with its main events happening in the early hours is less of a spectacle; but also the problems that've beset the build up will have put a lot of people off - drugs, viruses, corruption, etc.

I watched till 3am last night, and our athletes are doing us proud, not only in winning but also the sportsmanship shown by the likes of Jessica Ennis-Hill in acknowledging the new kid on the block, taking her crown. Silver is still an achievement after time out to become a mum.

Of the other two who made Super Saturday such an enthralling spectacle four years ago, Mo Farrah remains unbeatable despite what looked like a deliberate trip from his former training partner. Greg Rutherford took bronze this time.

The only disappointing thing was watching our other heptathlete, Katarina Johnson-Thomson, unable to throw a javelin properly after four years of presumably training for it (and being ok at it) with awful body language and a scowl on her face. Someone needs to tell her how lucky she is - privileged to be using Lottery funding for her career.

Usain Bolt tonight. Not bothered if others find it less than enthralling - I love watching people who're the best on the planet beating off allcomers, and enjoying it.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Rio on 12:31 - Aug 14 with 4991 viewsdalestats

Have watched as much as I can, have enjoyed seeing some of the less popular sports such as fencing and trampolining. Watched Mo on the highlights what an athlete.

Poll: Remain in the eu

Rio on 12:32 - Aug 14 with 4985 viewsnordenblue

Couldn't agree more DA,I like the cycling too and the effort and commitment they all put in to continually smash World fastest times is staggering.
It says something about that particular sport when both finalists for the men's individual sprint are both British, another tremendous achievement.

Hats off to anybody who can not only reach the peak of their particular sport but maintain it deserves nothing but praise in my eyes.

It's been a great games its just a shame it's been so poorly supported live at the events,but hardly surprising given the state of the country.
Rio on 12:36 - Aug 14 with 4970 viewsisitme

From one of the supposedly economic powerhouses of this century to a mess, a lesser scale Venezuela.

Great achievement for all competitors who medal or achieve personal bests. Often our competitors will be against much better athletes but if you can improve on your best you cannot do much else. I applaud their dedication.
Rio on 12:44 - Aug 14 with 4949 views442Dale

I don't get the timings, they're only four hours behind us so why are there finals in swimming/athletics taking place at 10/11pm at night their time?!

The crowds have indeed been very poor too. Whilst acknowledging it's two different organisations, a country shouldn't get an Olympics straight after a World Cup.

Oh, and bloody Redgrave turning up everywhere is becoming laughable. The way he interrupted Wiggins being interviewed was quite embarrassing.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2016 12:49]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Rio on 13:00 - Aug 14 with 4901 viewsRalphs12

Rio on 12:44 - Aug 14 by 442Dale

I don't get the timings, they're only four hours behind us so why are there finals in swimming/athletics taking place at 10/11pm at night their time?!

The crowds have indeed been very poor too. Whilst acknowledging it's two different organisations, a country shouldn't get an Olympics straight after a World Cup.

Oh, and bloody Redgrave turning up everywhere is becoming laughable. The way he interrupted Wiggins being interviewed was quite embarrassing.

There was a lot of talk during the swimming that the finals had been pushed back for the american audience.

Would have thought it would be done at a time to suit the host nation.
Rio on 13:05 - Aug 14 with 4890 viewsD_Alien

Rio on 12:44 - Aug 14 by 442Dale

Talking of interviews, the guy who the BBC have trying to get a life story out of athletes when they're absolutely f**ked seconds after giving their all should be shot. He was doing the same in London, and it's embarrassing to watch. if you're a natural extrovert in front of a camera and mic, fair enough, but most athletes tend to be focused inwards and having to answer inane question after question after bloody question, on and on, when you're out of breath and just want to celebrate/die? Appalling.

[Post edited 14 Aug 2016 13:13]

Rio on 13:07 - Aug 14 with 4885 viewsDaley_Lama

Timings done for USA.

I remember being chuffed for Thiem as she cleared 1.83 on her 3rd attempt in the high jump, before going on to 1.98 and a PB.

Think she did 5 pb's and a very deserving winner.

Long jump was fun, right down to the final jump. Bronze was fair, his distance was not really Olympic winning stuff.

Mo is truely remarkable. A national treasure. I wonder if Joe Hart gets more from shampoo advertising than Mo does for quorn advertising. I suspect he does.

Shattered Sunday after last night. Bring on the golf!

Poll: DF in or out

Rio on 14:28 - Aug 14 with 4753 viewsNigeriamark

Rio on 13:07 - Aug 14 by Daley_Lama

Timings done for USA.

I remember being chuffed for Thiem as she cleared 1.83 on her 3rd attempt in the high jump, before going on to 1.98 and a PB.

Long jump was fun, right down to the final jump. Bronze was fair, his distance was not really Olympic winning stuff.

Mo is truely remarkable. A national treasure. I wonder if Joe Hart gets more from shampoo advertising than Mo does for quorn advertising. I suspect he does.

It has been brilliant. Don't usually cheer on the USA but Phelp's record is unreal. only 31 countries have done more golds in the history of the games than he has on his own

Agree about Mo - must already be a strong favourite for SPOTY ( although if Murray wins today he will be a strong contender too)

Looking forward to the sprints and relays now and the boxing finals
Login to get fewer ads

Rio on 15:27 - Aug 14 with 4684 views1mark1

I have enjoyed watching the Olympic Games too. Fantastic performances by so many of our sports stars, and of course international stars. On the athletics the defence of their titles by Mo, Greg and Jess have been magnificent. For four years they have managed to keep such a high level of performance, and of course Jess having her baby, and then coming back was brilliant. We are the top nation in track cycling, rowing, and well up there in athletics, swimming, tennis, and others.

I am pissed off by timings that appear to be at behest of the Americans. It should not happen. The timings should suit the competitors first and the home nations people's next. Usually the two would be the right timings , between about half six/seven in the evening while about ten /half ten at the latest. Running sprints at midnight is NOT good for athletes, though running a marathon would be OK. Look at the ridiculous length of day for the Hepthaletes, a couple of hours longer than usual, and totally un necessary.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Rio on 15:52 - Aug 14 with 4651 views1mark1

Rio on 13:07 - Aug 14 by Daley_Lama

Timings done for USA.

Thieme really is a star in the making. IF and it's a big if, she stays bad injury free, she could become one of the true greats of Hepthalon like the greatest of the lot Jacqui Joyner Kersee and Carolina Kruft. Just think of the improvements she can make , especially in her running. Yes she deserved the Gold medal. It was a cracking competition, basically the win was secured by just ONE magnificent javelin throw.

If Kathleen Johnson can sort out her Javalin and Shot she too could be up there. She is the British record holder for high jump and one of the very best at long jump, at her best. Both these young athletes have brilliant potential.

Long jump was a brilliant competition, as was the 10 K, and all our three title holders from London put up magnificent defences of their titles, and I am proud of them.

Mo is a national treasure, I agree. I know personally how much training is involved just to reach club standard of athletics, the amount needed to reach his standard is phenomenal.

Rio on 15:59 - Aug 14 with 4635 views1mark1

Just been watching the marathon, how stupid to have them running at the hottest part of the day. Finishing at midday local time, no need for it. Could and should have stated about 8 am, or started at 6 or 8 pm local time in the evening.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2016 16:13]

Rio on 16:33 - Aug 14 with 4585 viewsSalwaDale

He is a much better pundit than I ever expected him to be.

Oh wait, we're not talking about Ferdinand.

She dances on the sand?

TBBT

Rio on 18:00 - Aug 14 with 4482 viewsboffley

Absolute classic on the golf commentary=====and he's on the fairway, but unfortunately it's the wrong one.
Rio on 18:56 - Aug 14 with 4402 viewsDaley_Lama

Gold: whitlock on the floor

Golf: Rose 1 shot ahead, 3 to play

Cycling galore to come
Pommel horse to come

Smashing Sunday!

Rio on 19:48 - Aug 14 with 4335 viewsD_Alien

Rio on 18:56 - Aug 14 by Daley_Lama

Gold: whitlock on the floor

Golf: Rose 1 shot ahead, 3 to play

Cycling galore to come
Pommel horse to come

Smashing Sunday!

Fantastic pitch by Rose, great contest

Rio on 19:52 - Aug 14 with 4321 viewsFrog

Rose gets gold!
Rio on 19:57 - Aug 14 with 4306 views442Dale

Rio on 19:52 - Aug 14 by Frog

Rose gets gold!

Redgrave arrives with a putter.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Rio on 20:12 - Aug 14 with 4280 viewsdalenumber2

Rio on 19:57 - Aug 14 by 442Dale

Redgrave arrives with a putter.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Laura Trott and co - what an achievement for Trott (3 olympic golds) and a brilliant performance last night.
Rio on 20:21 - Aug 14 with 4267 viewsFrog

Problem with the golf for me is that the world's best players aren't there, just a selection, not a patch on winning a major or even a regular tour event.
Rio on 20:33 - Aug 14 with 4245 viewsDaley_Lama

Max Whitlock take a bow.

Louis Smith looked like a slapped bum but his interview just reserected him, all just a bit emotional for him.

Rio on 20:34 - Aug 14 with 4243 viewsD_Alien

Rio on 20:12 - Aug 14 by dalenumber2

Surprised nobody has mentioned Laura Trott and co - what an achievement for Trott (3 olympic golds) and a brilliant performance last night.

Agree, there's almost too many to mention! For a country our size, we're punching way above our weight in the medals table. We're doing something very, very right.

Rio on 20:42 - Aug 14 with 4231 viewsfinberty

Rio on 20:21 - Aug 14 by Frog

Problem with the golf for me is that the world's best players aren't there, just a selection, not a patch on winning a major or even a regular tour event.

They excluded themselves. No appearance fee. No prize money. No interest. See Rory McIlroy for the definitive reason.
Rio on 20:54 - Aug 14 with 4208 viewsflyerdale

Rio on 20:42 - Aug 14 by finberty

They excluded themselves. No appearance fee. No prize money. No interest. See Rory McIlroy for the definitive reason.

Agree. You can only beat what's put in front of you. You could see what it meant to Justin to win it. Chuffed to bits for him
Rio on 20:57 - Aug 14 with 4194 viewsNigeriamark

Rio on 20:54 - Aug 14 by flyerdale

Agree. You can only beat what's put in front of you. You could see what it meant to Justin to win it. Chuffed to bits for him

Now up to 2nd in the medal table
Rio on 20:57 - Aug 14 with 4194 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Rio on 20:42 - Aug 14 by finberty

Rory blamed the Zeeeeka virus,my arse,
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024