Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents 18:52 - Nov 9 with 4780 viewsRAFCBLUE

Not a household name, but Chelsea's longest serving player admits he could leave club after seven years without a single game.

The 25-year-old signed for the Stamford Bridge club in 2010 from Croatian side Inter Zapresic, but work permit issues have meant he could not make his Chelsea debut.

Having undertaken 10 loan spells since signing, Soccerbase has him playing 28 competitive fixtures for only 3 sides.

His wages apparently have been £1m per year - so £7m for not much activity! Nice work if you can get it.

It got me thinking - who are your Dale equivalents?

The three in my mind are Warren Goodhind, Graham Lancashire (always injured!) and Darren Ryan but all of them did more than Matej Delac.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2017 18:53]

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 21:50 - Nov 9 with 3194 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Did n't we have a player (Mark?) Jackson a few seasons back, who was refered to as "sicknote"?
Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 22:56 - Nov 9 with 3144 viewscumbria_dale

Two that spring to mind that completely failed to deliver despite a real fanfare when we signed them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Hodges_(footballer,_born_1978)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Jones_(footballer,_born_1984)

Both were only at Dale for one season and did absolutely sod all.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2017 22:57]
Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 07:41 - Nov 10 with 3006 viewsEllDale

I must confess that Hodges did spring to mind. He only showed any sort of form in fits and starts after his much heralded arrival although to be fair he did play a few games in his one season with us unlike this Chelsea player.

I can't even remember Mark Jones but that may be short term memory loss!

To be fair to Hilly he hasn't really ever tolerated passengers.
Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 08:29 - Nov 10 with 2963 viewsrochdaleriddler

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 07:41 - Nov 10 by EllDale

I must confess that Hodges did spring to mind. He only showed any sort of form in fits and starts after his much heralded arrival although to be fair he did play a few games in his one season with us unlike this Chelsea player.

I can't even remember Mark Jones but that may be short term memory loss!

To be fair to Hilly he hasn't really ever tolerated passengers.

RNL wasn't driving the bus

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 09:08 - Nov 10 with 2936 viewsDaleFan7

Didn't Redshaw have a 6 month long headache when he joined us?
Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 09:18 - Nov 10 with 2928 viewsdeeplishblue

Charlie Comyn Platt

"On 31 January 2007, Comyn-Platt joined Rochdale just a few minutes before the transfer window closed at midnight. He signed an 18-month contract, but didn't play at all in his first half-season, and his contract was terminated by mutual consent in July 2007."

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 10:21 - Nov 10 with 2871 viewsdingdangblue

Johny Diba must have been with us 4-5 years before he was released - did he only ever play that half at Chesterfield?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 11:03 - Nov 10 with 2826 viewsfermin

Going back a bit, but what about Zac Hughes:

http://clarkechroniclersfootballers.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/113-zac-hughes.html
Login to get fewer ads

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 11:08 - Nov 10 with 2820 viewsChaffRAFC

Steve Lenagh - Think he failed to make a single appearance after signing.

Richard Green - Signed on a permanent deal and Keiran Durkan spilt boiling water over him and he never played all the time he was with us.

You can add all of Paul Simpson's marquee signings as well, Chris Beech, Lee Hodges and Steve Macauley.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 11:20 - Nov 10 with 2811 viewsEllDale

Stephen Vaughan?
Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 11:47 - Nov 10 with 2783 viewsSwissdale

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 11:08 - Nov 10 by ChaffRAFC

Steve Lenagh - Think he failed to make a single appearance after signing.

Richard Green - Signed on a permanent deal and Keiran Durkan spilt boiling water over him and he never played all the time he was with us.

You can add all of Paul Simpson's marquee signings as well, Chris Beech, Lee Hodges and Steve Macauley.

Apparently Chris Beech had the nickname "Beechy bent arm" as he was always injured.

Thank goodness we got the long-term value out of him during his non-playing days.
Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 12:11 - Nov 10 with 2755 viewsscarrow

Ashley proberts (?) Signed from arsenal with big expectations and faded away. Reece Brown...

Poll: Final position

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 12:29 - Nov 10 with 2730 viewssoulboy

Lee Buggie made 2 sub appearances for us in Sept/Oct 2000, i thought he had signed for us but just googled him and he was on loan?
[Post edited 10 Nov 2017 12:32]
Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 13:11 - Nov 10 with 2685 viewsChaffRAFC

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 12:29 - Nov 10 by soulboy

Lee Buggie made 2 sub appearances for us in Sept/Oct 2000, i thought he had signed for us but just googled him and he was on loan?

Yeah he was on loan from Bury I seem to remember.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 13:39 - Nov 10 with 2644 viewspioneer

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 13:11 - Nov 10 by ChaffRAFC

Yeah he was on loan from Bury I seem to remember.

I think when it involves that team from t'other side of Heywood its called probation, not loan.
Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 14:01 - Nov 10 with 2615 viewsDaleiLama

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 12:29 - Nov 10 by soulboy

So he was never coached by Beech?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 14:43 - Nov 10 with 2573 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 12:11 - Nov 10 by scarrow

Ashley proberts (?) Signed from arsenal with big expectations and faded away. Reece Brown...

Yes, he was introduced to us by Steve Bould, but I think we sold him to the mighty Queen of the South for £1000 before he had chance to play......if my memory serves me well?
Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 15:16 - Nov 10 with 2548 viewsTVOS1907

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 14:43 - Nov 10 by Yorkshire_Dale

Yes, he was introduced to us by Steve Bould, but I think we sold him to the mighty Queen of the South for £1000 before he had chance to play......if my memory serves me well?

He made 12 appearances, made up of five starts and seven from the bench, before returning down south.

You're thinking of Chris Armstrong.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2017 15:16]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 15:23 - Nov 10 with 2535 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 15:16 - Nov 10 by TVOS1907

He made 12 appearances, made up of five starts and seven from the bench, before returning down south.

You're thinking of Chris Armstrong.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2017 15:16]

Dear me, my memory does n't serve me well.......thanks for correction.
Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 12:26 - Nov 11 with 2332 viewsEllDale

Does anyone remember a defender called Paul Clarke who came to us from Liverpool just after promotion in 1969?
He was a teenager who had been captain of their reserve team.
I don't think he played too many games for us though in at least three seasons despite the big reputation. Mind you, it was harder to notch an appearance then with only one substitute and managers invariably picked a forward on the bench in those days.
He couldn't dislodge Graham Smith from rightback or Colin Parry or Joe Ashworth from the centre of defence and he wasn't a good enough footballer to switch to midfield like his namesake Jamie Clarke.
Another with a big name who didn't live up to the billing was Eric Probert who Doug Collins signed.
Another former Burnley player who spent a lot of time in the reserves after signing amidst a fanfare of publicity was keeper Rod Jones. He couldn't into the team past Tony Godfrey or Gordon Morritt and then Mike Poole came along from memory.
Phil Ashworth was a marquee signing of a type as well in 1978 despite the fact that his previous two clubs (Workington and Southport) had lost their places in the football league. Spluttered along for a few months before disappearing.
Others whom came highly recommended or with good cvs who never did much to my mind were Mickael Antoine-Curier, Sean McGinty, Jon Shaw, Simon Davies, Tommy Jaszczun and Anthony Elding.
The less said about Febian Brandy the better......
Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 13:56 - Nov 11 with 2282 viewsD_Alien

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 12:26 - Nov 11 by EllDale

Does anyone remember a defender called Paul Clarke who came to us from Liverpool just after promotion in 1969?
He was a teenager who had been captain of their reserve team.
I don't think he played too many games for us though in at least three seasons despite the big reputation. Mind you, it was harder to notch an appearance then with only one substitute and managers invariably picked a forward on the bench in those days.
He couldn't dislodge Graham Smith from rightback or Colin Parry or Joe Ashworth from the centre of defence and he wasn't a good enough footballer to switch to midfield like his namesake Jamie Clarke.
Another with a big name who didn't live up to the billing was Eric Probert who Doug Collins signed.
Another former Burnley player who spent a lot of time in the reserves after signing amidst a fanfare of publicity was keeper Rod Jones. He couldn't into the team past Tony Godfrey or Gordon Morritt and then Mike Poole came along from memory.
Phil Ashworth was a marquee signing of a type as well in 1978 despite the fact that his previous two clubs (Workington and Southport) had lost their places in the football league. Spluttered along for a few months before disappearing.
Others whom came highly recommended or with good cvs who never did much to my mind were Mickael Antoine-Curier, Sean McGinty, Jon Shaw, Simon Davies, Tommy Jaszczun and Anthony Elding.
The less said about Febian Brandy the better......

I don't recall Paul Clarke at all, and would've done if he'd been around the first team during that period so it must've been a very limited number of appearances. It's amazing to think how few players we actually used in those days, and as you say, our defence was pretty consistent. I struggle to recall any of the back four missing a game, my favourite being Derek (Spider) Ryder

I seem to recall Phil Ashworth having a hernia, which he played through (poorly!) until he couldn't continue then just disappeared, unlamented

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 14:15 - Nov 11 with 2267 viewsTVOS1907

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 13:56 - Nov 11 by D_Alien

I don't recall Paul Clarke at all, and would've done if he'd been around the first team during that period so it must've been a very limited number of appearances. It's amazing to think how few players we actually used in those days, and as you say, our defence was pretty consistent. I struggle to recall any of the back four missing a game, my favourite being Derek (Spider) Ryder

I seem to recall Phil Ashworth having a hernia, which he played through (poorly!) until he couldn't continue then just disappeared, unlamented

Paul Clarke joined Dale from Liverpool in August 1969, but didn't make his debut until the following February in a 1-0 defeat at Barnsley.

He was with Dale for three season, but only made 12 appearances (11 starts), the last of which was in a 2-0 home loss to Barnsley in April 1972.

Clarke's next club after leaving Spotland was Matlock.

Boringly, he is one of only 26 Dale players to play against the same opposition in his first and last Football League games for the club, excluding those who made only one appearance!

The most recent player to do it was Matt Doughty (Oxford being the opponents).

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 14:25 - Nov 11 with 2247 viewsD_Alien

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 14:15 - Nov 11 by TVOS1907

Paul Clarke joined Dale from Liverpool in August 1969, but didn't make his debut until the following February in a 1-0 defeat at Barnsley.

He was with Dale for three season, but only made 12 appearances (11 starts), the last of which was in a 2-0 home loss to Barnsley in April 1972.

Clarke's next club after leaving Spotland was Matlock.

Boringly, he is one of only 26 Dale players to play against the same opposition in his first and last Football League games for the club, excluding those who made only one appearance!

The most recent player to do it was Matt Doughty (Oxford being the opponents).

Cheers TVOS

I was at that 1-0 defeat at Barnsley - if it's the same one where Clarke played. It was a midweek evening kickoff and I bunked off school at lunchtime to catch the coach, using my dinner money as the fare! It was a foggy night and visibility being poor, the ref didn't see their goal being blatantly punched into the net, at the end were we were stood

Needless to say, I was in trouble the next day

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 14:35 - Nov 11 with 2232 viewsTVOS1907

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 14:25 - Nov 11 by D_Alien

Cheers TVOS

I was at that 1-0 defeat at Barnsley - if it's the same one where Clarke played. It was a midweek evening kickoff and I bunked off school at lunchtime to catch the coach, using my dinner money as the fare! It was a foggy night and visibility being poor, the ref didn't see their goal being blatantly punched into the net, at the end were we were stood

Needless to say, I was in trouble the next day

Tuesday 3rd March 1970.

"It was hands" says the headline in the Observer.

Referee was D Pugh (Chester), who I believe was a regular Football League official of the time.

Matej Delac and Dale playing equivalents on 18:13 - Nov 11 with 2170 viewsseasidedale

To be fair to Zac Hughes he was on a YTS which accounts for 2 years. Eric Probert was a pre season trialist and wasnt offered a contract, Phil Ashworth went to Portsmouth and scored a few as they won the 4th divion that year. Rodney Jones was a big money signing £4000, if memory serves(our record fee at the time was £5,000. He was awful and was actually freed by Dick Connor and Walter Joyce resigned him! nearly as good as Matt Dickins
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024