Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lu'ern 14:02 - Nov 2 with 10202 viewsBartRowou

Just been on their site ahead of tomorrow's game and found these anecdotes. Would any of the older generation care to explain themselves?

we got onto the front page of the national press after a game at rochdale early 70's lots of trouble mostly caused by the police. one mounted copper rode his horse into the luton fans on the terracing.
one fan at the back of the crowd shouted out to a friend at the front so the police waded in and dragged him out, the next i saw him was at the train station and he had been well battered, he had done nothing, the cops caused all the trouble that day and we got the blame.
NOTHING CHANGES DOES IT
That was a pretty terrifying day to be honest, the police lost control from the start. Thought it started with a kid being knocked down by a police car as they marched several special train loads up the hill - that's what we were told anyhow.

I also seem to recall that the Riot Act was read out on the pitch which meant they could ride horses into the crowd (coming from that muddy bank at the other end).

The Sun (not the rag it became then) had a large picture of the trouble, thought it was centre spread? I had to make sure my old man didn't see it as I was clearly visible - not too many people in that crowd with long hair and glasses!

There was still LTFC graffiti on the station until they completely refurbed it.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Lu'ern on 14:30 - Nov 2 with 7943 viewsjudd

That's almost the script from Peterloo.

I remember when David Bayliss went to play for them and got sent off at Spotland, trying to snot one of our management team on the way to his early bath. David Hamilton?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Lu'ern on 15:04 - Nov 2 with 7893 viewsdawlishdale

Wasn't born back then, but my Grandad told me the story of the day but with a different slant.. He told me that Luton were one of the first teams who brought fans actively looking for trouble, and they had quite a number of skinheads who caused mayhem before and during the match. Eventually, it kicked off big time in the Sandy Lane end resulting in some awful scenes. The Luton fans were attacking anyone which resulted in kids scattering onto the pitch to escape. The police hadn't seen this level of aggro at Dale before, and waded in hitting anyone in their way, regardless of where they came from. Several supporters from both teams went home injured, and it made the papers the next day, which was unheard of for us.

He also told me that he regarded this as amongst the worst violence he'd ever seen at Rochdale and laid the blame firmly at the Luton Skinheads who tried to "take" the Sandy Lane End. It was at the beginning of the age of football hooliganism, and we just hadn't seen much of it before.

Other teams that he recalled who caused large amounts of trouble on this level included Crystal Palace (again skinheads to blame ; early 70's in a cup game) Swansea (dressed in white coats, Doc Martin boots and face masks!) and for some reason , Walsall, although I have no idea why Swansea and Walsall figured so heavily in his memories.

Lets hope there is no repeat tomorrow.
Lu'ern on 15:12 - Nov 2 with 7882 viewsNigeriamark

Lu'ern on 15:04 - Nov 2 by dawlishdale

Wasn't born back then, but my Grandad told me the story of the day but with a different slant.. He told me that Luton were one of the first teams who brought fans actively looking for trouble, and they had quite a number of skinheads who caused mayhem before and during the match. Eventually, it kicked off big time in the Sandy Lane end resulting in some awful scenes. The Luton fans were attacking anyone which resulted in kids scattering onto the pitch to escape. The police hadn't seen this level of aggro at Dale before, and waded in hitting anyone in their way, regardless of where they came from. Several supporters from both teams went home injured, and it made the papers the next day, which was unheard of for us.

He also told me that he regarded this as amongst the worst violence he'd ever seen at Rochdale and laid the blame firmly at the Luton Skinheads who tried to "take" the Sandy Lane End. It was at the beginning of the age of football hooliganism, and we just hadn't seen much of it before.

Other teams that he recalled who caused large amounts of trouble on this level included Crystal Palace (again skinheads to blame ; early 70's in a cup game) Swansea (dressed in white coats, Doc Martin boots and face masks!) and for some reason , Walsall, although I have no idea why Swansea and Walsall figured so heavily in his memories.

I went to many games in the bad old days and Walsall was the only time I was genuinely frightened. A group of them had even arrived in the town centre in the morning looking for trouble. I imagine that their yobs had chosen that game for a "special" day out as Walsall were probably not the most notorious of the hooligans we had visit but somehow they ended up all over the ground
Lu'ern on 16:40 - Nov 2 with 7739 viewsEllDale

Nothing could be as bad as the time that Blackpool came. I was genuinely scared that day.
Lu'ern on 17:11 - Nov 2 with 7681 viewsTVOS1907

[Post edited 2 Nov 2018 17:12]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Lu'ern on 18:07 - Nov 2 with 7527 viewsJames1980

Lu'ern on 17:11 - Nov 2 by TVOS1907

[Post edited 2 Nov 2018 17:12]

Is Paul Strong of Ribble Avenue, still about?
What was the atmosphere like the last time we played Lu'ern?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Lu'ern on 18:27 - Nov 2 with 7443 viewschalky_ncfc

The only thing that I like about Lutons ground is the unique way that you enter the away end,their fans fans are notorious for trouble and should have been sorted out decades ago,Luton itself is a shithole and best avoided,been to Kenilworth Road twice when once should have been enough

Poll: Do you now think that Notts have suffered enough since Munto?

Lu'ern on 18:51 - Nov 2 with 7372 viewsJames1980

Another group of away fans that will be singing the 'we're on our way chant' How many teams are being promoted this season

Login to get fewer ads

Lu'ern on 19:10 - Nov 2 with 7305 viewsPotterDale

This might explain why Lutons director was "late back from from lunch" in 1980? Embarrassed at the behaviour of his teams fans
Lu'ern on 19:42 - Nov 2 with 7213 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Does anyone know the exact date of the Battle of Spotland please?
Lu'ern on 20:50 - Nov 2 with 7057 viewsrochdaleriddler

Lu'ern on 15:04 - Nov 2 by dawlishdale

the police don’t get involved in any activity like that any more, so if Luton fans misbehave people will have to sort it themselves or run away

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Lu'ern on 21:29 - Nov 2 with 6991 viewschalky_ncfc

Lu'ern on 19:42 - Nov 2 by Yorkshire_Dale

25th April 1970 is the only game that Dale played them at home during the 70's,it ended 1-2

Poll: Do you now think that Notts have suffered enough since Munto?

Lu'ern on 21:32 - Nov 2 with 6980 viewsMolly

Lu'ern on 19:42 - Nov 2 by Yorkshire_Dale

1066 I think, mind you I was never very good at history.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2018 21:33]
Lu'ern on 13:23 - Nov 3 with 6586 viewsTVOS1907

Lu'ern on 18:07 - Nov 2 by James1980

Is Paul Strong of Ribble Avenue, still about?
What was the atmosphere like the last time we played Lu'ern?

He wasn't about on Ribble Avenue when I was growing up there, so he must have left in the 1970s. The Ashton family lived there for as long as I can remember.

Last time we played them was in an FA Cup replay and the atmosphere was non-existent from the crowd of 1,982.

Lu'ern on 13:28 - Nov 3 with 6577 viewsJames1980

Lu'ern on 21:32 - Nov 2 by Molly

1066 I think, mind you I was never very good at history.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2018 21:33]

That explains them finding no evidence of the 'Battle' in Battle.
TVOS sounds like the aforementioned league match was a flash in the pan so to speak, that didn't create an air of tension in subsequent matches.

Lu'ern on 13:28 - Nov 3 with 6577 viewsEllDale

We played in them in one of the last games of the 1969/70 season.
They went up that year with Malcolm Macdonald and Matt Tees scoring a shedload of goals from memory.
The original fixture had been at Spotland in November and had been abandoned due to snow in the second half? Again from memory.
Lu'ern on 13:32 - Nov 3 with 6563 viewsTVOS1907

Lu'ern on 13:28 - Nov 3 by James1980

That explains them finding no evidence of the 'Battle' in Battle.
TVOS sounds like the aforementioned league match was a flash in the pan so to speak, that didn't create an air of tension in subsequent matches.

Well, tbf, after 1970 we didn't actually play them again for another 31 years, so any tensions would have grown up!

If you are at Kenilworth Road in March, James, you'll find it's not the most welcoming of places, whoever the opposition. Ask York City for starters...

Lu'ern on 13:50 - Nov 3 with 6528 viewsJames1980

Lu'ern on 13:32 - Nov 3 by TVOS1907

Well, tbf, after 1970 we didn't actually play them again for another 31 years, so any tensions would have grown up!

If you are at Kenilworth Road in March, James, you'll find it's not the most welcoming of places, whoever the opposition. Ask York City for starters...

Excellent point, silly me didn't think of that.
If I make the away match best not wear colours then. I might dress in black to show support for the ref. Then both sets of fans could set on me allowing the rest of the Dale fans to make their escape.

Lu'ern on 14:21 - Nov 3 with 6467 viewsDorsetDale

Lu'ern on 13:23 - Nov 3 by TVOS1907

He wasn't about on Ribble Avenue when I was growing up there, so he must have left in the 1970s. The Ashton family lived there for as long as I can remember.

Last time we played them was in an FA Cup replay and the atmosphere was non-existent from the crowd of 1,982.

Would that be when we came back from 3 down in the first game only a few weeks/months since the same happened at morecombe (coming back to draw from 3 - 0)?

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Lu'ern on 17:55 - Nov 3 with 6222 viewsTVOS1907

Lu'ern on 14:21 - Nov 3 by DorsetDale

Would that be when we came back from 3 down in the first game only a few weeks/months since the same happened at morecombe (coming back to draw from 3 - 0)?

It was.

Lu'ern on 20:41 - Nov 3 with 5953 viewsMolly

Lu'ern on 14:21 - Nov 3 by DorsetDale

I think it was also the game when our "star"left back (one Mr Simpkins) picked an argument with someone in the Pearl Street Stand and actually wanted to have a physical fight with him.
Even after the final whistle the main stand linesman (sorry assistant referee) had to stop him twice from going into the stand for a "punch up".
Lu'ern on 21:45 - Nov 3 with 5772 views49thseason

Lu'ern on 20:41 - Nov 3 by Molly

I think it was also the game when our "star"left back (one Mr Simpkins) picked an argument with someone in the Pearl Street Stand and actually wanted to have a physical fight with him.
Even after the final whistle the main stand linesman (sorry assistant referee) had to stop him twice from going into the stand for a "punch up".

If Simpkins had thrown a punch he would have missed by a country mile.
Lu'ern on 21:58 - Nov 3 with 5736 viewsDaley_Lama

Luton player does a studds up dirty tackle
Luton player gets a straight red
Luton player has no real conplaints
Luton player appears to do the decent thing to go and say sorry to Hendo

Select Luton fans go batshit mental, stream to the front of the stand, cuddle stewards and throw insults and tampons in Hendo’s direction.

Same old, same old

Poll: DF in or out

Lu'ern on 22:38 - Nov 3 with 5663 viewsTVOS1907

Lu'ern on 20:41 - Nov 3 by Molly

That was 6 seasons before.

Lu'ern on 22:42 - Nov 3 with 5657 viewsDaleiLama

Lu'ern on 21:58 - Nov 3 by Daley_Lama

Luton player does a studds up dirty tackle
Luton player gets a straight red
Luton player has no real conplaints
Luton player appears to do the decent thing to go and say sorry to Hendo

Select Luton fans go batshit mental, stream to the front of the stand, cuddle stewards and throw insults and tampons in Hendo’s direction.

Same old, same old

Surprised so many people "follow" them. Rotten.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024