Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goalkeepers! 22:27 - Jan 8 with 4022 views56years

As you can see from my username I have been supporting the Dale for many, many years but I can never remember a season when we have had such a succession of goalkeeping errors. Even in the dark, dark days we always used to say we had good 'keepers as they had plenty of practice!
In the past maybe the odd mistake, and some individuals who were awful but didn't last long, but this season we have had three 'keepers who match after match make at least one game changing mistake. It is costing us points on a regular basis and tonight potentially £40,000 which we can ill afford to lose.
The team's confidence is fragile at best but with goalkeeping errors like we have witnessed this season is it any wonder?
Goalkeepers! on 22:40 - Jan 8 with 3932 viewskiwidale

I suspect a combination Of Yashin Banks and Shilton would struggle to keep a clean sheet with what we put in front of them.

This is not the time for bickering.

Goalkeepers! on 22:42 - Jan 8 with 3916 viewsrochdale_ranger

Burtons forwards walked through our defence on Saturday.
Goalkeepers! on 23:51 - Jan 8 with 3750 viewsNinco

As all three goalkeepers are making similar silly mistakes, maybe it's time for the manager to discuss whether the coaching is working.
Goalkeepers! on 00:34 - Jan 9 with 3687 viewssweetcorn

Goalkeepers! on 23:51 - Jan 8 by Ninco

As all three goalkeepers are making similar silly mistakes, maybe it's time for the manager to discuss whether the coaching is working.

Never really been a fan of lillis and thats pretty well known, but if he doesnt start on saturday and the rest of the season for that matter, it’ll be criminal.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Goalkeepers! on 07:40 - Jan 9 with 3408 viewsRodingdale

Keith says Norman is an exceptional keeper...
Goalkeepers! on 07:45 - Jan 9 with 3395 viewsmidlandsdale

Goalkeepers! on 07:40 - Jan 9 by Rodingdale

Exceptionally what though!
Goalkeepers! on 07:50 - Jan 9 with 3381 viewsEllDale

Funnily enough I was planning to start a thread on this very topic this morning but 56years beat me to it.
Having seen a succession of good keepers in my time - Ted Burgin, Chris Harker, Tony Godfrey, Mike Poole, Keith Welch, Neil Edwards, Matt Gilks etc - I am seriously wondering how much input Steve Collis has towards recruitment.
I read once that Alex Ferguson never signed a keeper until Tony Coton or Eric Steele had looked at them thoroughly.
The other problem is that the goalkeeping role has changed. In the old days an ability to stop shots was the main requirement but now we expect them to have distribution skills like Glenn Hoddle.
Gilks used to get grief from the Sandy over his kicking and yet none of the three that we currently have are comfortable with the ball at their feet but surely practise makes perfect under a good coach?
Goalkeepers! on 09:29 - Jan 9 with 3193 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

"none of the three that we currently have are comfortable with the ball at their feet"

I think there are a lot more than three players that are not comfortable with the ball at their feet. Glenn Hoddle would look a little ill at ease if he was the last man behind that defence. To be fair some of the back passes those keepers have had to endure this season, due to Hill insisting on keeping possession, have been nothing short of criminal and smack of passing the book of responsibility.
Login to get fewer ads

Goalkeepers! on 09:35 - Jan 9 with 3182 viewsdeeplishblue

Lillis's kicking is ten times better than Gilks.

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Goalkeepers! on 11:32 - Jan 9 with 3048 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Goalkeepers! on 07:40 - Jan 9 by Rodingdale

Well Norman is getting the full blame (and rightly so) from the Maestro, for yesterday's 2nd half fiasco......
Goalkeepers! on 11:33 - Jan 9 with 3043 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Goalkeepers! on 22:42 - Jan 8 by rochdale_ranger

Burtons forwards walked through our defence on Saturday.

.....as did City's kids last night!
Goalkeepers! on 11:42 - Jan 9 with 3018 viewsNigeriamark

I think keepers of any era would struggle if they were part of a 3 way rotation on a regular basis. It is really the one position where you make your choice and as long as there is no severe loss of form you stick with that choice. If Hill had stuck with any of the 3 I am sure you would have seen less errors in total but the added pressure of 1 error and you are out cant help. For all the way football has developed, can you think of any time a successful team has even chopped and changed between 2 keepers, never mind 3

In a similar number of years of watching Dale as the OP, I can honestly say the keeper situation and management is one of the more bizzare things I have seen and I cannot come up with any logical reasoning
Goalkeepers! on 11:49 - Jan 9 with 2999 viewsCreepy

Goalkeepers! on 11:42 - Jan 9 by Nigeriamark

I think keepers of any era would struggle if they were part of a 3 way rotation on a regular basis. It is really the one position where you make your choice and as long as there is no severe loss of form you stick with that choice. If Hill had stuck with any of the 3 I am sure you would have seen less errors in total but the added pressure of 1 error and you are out cant help. For all the way football has developed, can you think of any time a successful team has even chopped and changed between 2 keepers, never mind 3

In a similar number of years of watching Dale as the OP, I can honestly say the keeper situation and management is one of the more bizzare things I have seen and I cannot come up with any logical reasoning

I agree. If Hill didn't fancy any of the 3 keepers, he could have sent Norman back, Moore has now left, signed a new keeper permanently and kept Lillis as number 2. After last night though, Lillis has to be first choice with Norman as a nervy back up !!
Goalkeepers! on 12:09 - Jan 9 with 2936 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Goalkeepers! on 11:49 - Jan 9 by Creepy

I agree. If Hill didn't fancy any of the 3 keepers, he could have sent Norman back, Moore has now left, signed a new keeper permanently and kept Lillis as number 2. After last night though, Lillis has to be first choice with Norman as a nervy back up !!

Perhaps Brad Wade could have figured last night?....Trouble is if he is coached like the other three would his confidence be shot already.

Not the ideal time to bring in a youngster into the League games......but he could n't have down any worse last night.
Goalkeepers! on 12:30 - Jan 9 with 2886 viewsNigeriamark

Goalkeepers! on 11:49 - Jan 9 by Creepy

I would imagine it is Lillis as nervy 1st choice with Norman as nervy back up
Goalkeepers! on 12:53 - Jan 10 with 2422 viewsfinberty

Whilst enjoying the highlight of my half-time drink, a fifteen minute respite from the dross on view, I often watch coaching staff aiming a few gentle crosses into the box for Lillis / Norman / whoever to come out and catch.

I can’t recall the last time a Dale goalie actually coming out to catch anything with any sense of purpose, composure, aggression or basic competence.

So what is the point of this practice, because it never seems to be put into effect?
Goalkeepers! on 13:00 - Jan 10 with 2397 viewsdavidab2202

Goalkeepers! on 12:09 - Jan 9 by Yorkshire_Dale

Perhaps Brad Wade could have figured last night?....Trouble is if he is coached like the other three would his confidence be shot already.

Not the ideal time to bring in a youngster into the League games......but he could n't have down any worse last night.

On that note then fortunately Keith Welch was given his chance if my old memory serves me right in not dissimilar circumstances of desperation and as they say the rest is history
Goalkeepers! on 13:35 - Jan 10 with 2320 viewsseasidedale

So did Chris Shyne got his chance when things were desperate, we used to call him pan shine or tefalon because he dropped everything and nothing would stick to his hands
Goalkeepers! on 14:09 - Jan 10 with 2269 viewsTVOS1907

Goalkeepers! on 13:00 - Jan 10 by davidab2202

On that note then fortunately Keith Welch was given his chance if my old memory serves me right in not dissimilar circumstances of desperation and as they say the rest is history

Not strictly true. Welch had to play because Dave Redfern broke his finger and we didn't have any other keepers.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Goalkeepers! on 14:44 - Jan 10 with 2216 viewsEllDale

I seem to remember that Mike Poole got thrown in at the deep end as a youngster as well.
Like Welch, he never looked back.
Goalkeepers! on 15:40 - Jan 10 with 2124 viewsseasidedale

There was a young goalkeeper before welch called Andy Slack who looked like he would be as good as welch but he had to retire after only playing 17 games I think
Goalkeepers! on 20:20 - Jan 10 with 1936 viewspioneer

Goalkeepers! on 14:44 - Jan 10 by EllDale

I seem to remember that Mike Poole got thrown in at the deep end as a youngster as well.
Like Welch, he never looked back.

It was that dreadful 73-4 season so Mike did a lot of ‘looking back’ as the defence was a seive and we conceded goals almost like we are doing currently.
Goalkeepers! on 07:51 - Jan 11 with 1782 viewsEllDale

The season where Walter Joyce threw most of the senior pros out and then panicked by signing Stan Horne and Jim Grummett to try and shore things up when he realised his error as we shipped goals for fun.
Two good professionals but it was beyond them.
We had a young Keith Hanvey at left back as well but he was dispirited and went off to better things.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024