Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gordon Banks 10:18 - Feb 12 with 1951 viewsfrenzied

Sadly has passed away..

Wonderful keeper...1966 winner ...1970 stunning save against Brazil from Pele

RIP
Gordon Banks on 10:22 - Feb 12 with 1943 viewsDaleiLama

Very sad news. The '66 team have already been decimated by illness and passing and now another. As you say, that save (made even better by the commentary).

RIP Gordon. You left us with great memories.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Gordon Banks on 10:35 - Feb 12 with 1918 viewsSheffdale

I saw Gordon at a football dinner in Sheffield in March 2016 and he was such a down to earth chap. He gave some lovely recollections of humping coal and then dashing off to play. He looked in good shape and was still cutting his own hedge he told an admiring audience. So sad to read of his passing. Thanks for some great memories.
Gordon Banks on 11:56 - Feb 12 with 1843 viewsBobbyjoe

The greatest, bar none.
Gordon Banks on 12:07 - Feb 12 with 1826 viewssince58

The greatest keeper of all time.
R I P Gordon.
Gordon Banks on 12:10 - Feb 12 with 1818 viewsNigeriamark

Gordon Banks on 10:35 - Feb 12 by Sheffdale

I saw Gordon at a football dinner in Sheffield in March 2016 and he was such a down to earth chap. He gave some lovely recollections of humping coal and then dashing off to play. He looked in good shape and was still cutting his own hedge he told an admiring audience. So sad to read of his passing. Thanks for some great memories.

I was 10 or 11 when he had his accident. I sent a get well card & only wrote on the envelope Gordon Banks. I put my home address in it. About 6 weeks later I got a thank you card back

Only time I have ever done that, but at the timeI wanted to be a keeper & he was the best around
Gordon Banks on 12:45 - Feb 12 with 1773 viewsfrenzied

Gordon Banks on 12:10 - Feb 12 by Nigeriamark

I was 10 or 11 when he had his accident. I sent a get well card & only wrote on the envelope Gordon Banks. I put my home address in it. About 6 weeks later I got a thank you card back

Only time I have ever done that, but at the timeI wanted to be a keeper & he was the best around

That's a lovely story..

I sent Nobby Stiles a copy of his autobiography several years ago to sign as I found out where he lived..he returned it signed with a short message of best wishes.

Players like Banks and Stiles with that level of kindness are too few in todays game
Gordon Banks on 15:07 - Feb 12 with 1672 viewsMolly

About 20 years ago I was travelling from Russia via Paris back to Manchester. On the flight from Paris were a couple with their 2 grandchildren sat directly behind me. For the entire flight one of the children sat on their grandads knee kept kicking the back of my seat. On landing I thought right I'm going to give this guy a right piece of my mind about children's behaviour etc. On standing and turning to look at him there I was face to face with Gordon Banks.
What a gentleman! In the short time between standing and disembarkation he was only too happy to talk about football , THAT save, and to shake my hand before we left to get off the plane.
Very sad to hear today's news. R.I.P.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2019 15:08]
Gordon Banks on 16:39 - Feb 12 with 1617 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Thanks for the memories Gordon, you were a genius amongst goalkeepers, and part of the legends that were the World Cup winners.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Login to get fewer ads

Gordon Banks on 19:26 - Feb 12 with 1522 viewsDiddyDave

Very sad to see that the great Gordon Banks has passed away. I saw him play many times for Leicester City and Stoke City and was lucky enough to have seen him play for England against West Germany in the World Cup Final in ‘66. A wonderful keeper,but more importantly a very fine sportsman. Great memories of a great footballer and ambassador for the game.
Gordon Banks on 21:43 - Feb 12 with 1430 viewsDaleiLama

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Gordon Banks on 07:35 - Feb 13 with 1326 viewsEllDale

I always think that we might have reached a second successive World Cup Final in 1970 if Banks hadn't been ill on the day of the quarter final versus West Germany.
He certainly wouldn't have let in two of the goals that Peter Bonetti did that day.
Who knows what have happened if we had got there?
We only lost 1-0 to that superb Brazil side in the group game and Jeff Astle fluffed a sitter late on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024