Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Jack Bond 07:40 - Jul 15 with 2357 viewsEllDale

Died late last week aged 87.
Captain and then manager of Lancashire CC when they were in their one-day pomp for about five years from 1969 onwards. Won the Gillette Cup three times in a row.
This was the team of David Lloyd, Barry Wood, Ken Snelgrove, Harry Pilling, Clive Lloyd, Farokh Engineer, John Sullivan, David Hughes, jack Simmons, Ken Shuttleworth, Ken Higgs,Peter Lever.
Happy days.
RIP Jack Bond on 07:46 - Jul 15 with 2349 viewskiwidale

I have fond memories of that team when Lancashire were at their pomp. Jack Bond was a bit player a bit of this a bit of that but supreme as a captain, then again Eddie the eagle could have captained the side.

This is not the time for bickering.

RIP Jack Bond on 07:53 - Jul 15 with 2339 viewsEllDale

If you read some of David Lloyd's books he writes that the dressing room was a bit fractious and underachieving before Bond took over.
If nothing else I'll always remember Bond for that catch to dismiss Asif Iqbal in the 1972 Lord's final.
RIP Jack Bond on 07:55 - Jul 15 with 2335 viewspioneer

RIP Jack Bond on 07:53 - Jul 15 by EllDale

If you read some of David Lloyd's books he writes that the dressing room was a bit fractious and underachieving before Bond took over.
If nothing else I'll always remember Bond for that catch to dismiss Asif Iqbal in the 1972 Lord's final.

and of course he was at the other end for much of david hughes demolition of glocestershire in the GC semi.
RIP Jack Bond on 08:44 - Jul 15 with 2289 viewsCleedale

That catch hey?

It nearly destroyed a friendship as my Kent-supporting school mate just refused to believe we could pull that one off - Iqbal was murdering us; a bit like the way Clive Lloyd did, but for us.

Sad about Jack - knew Harry Pilling passed away a few years back - think he still lived in the Bolton/Swinton area - where does the time fly to?

Yes, they were great days! When the 9 O' Clock BBC NEWS interrupts it's live schedule to take you to a dark, (and it was very dark), Old Trafford where David Hughes was going hell-for-leather (quite literally!) in hitting 24 from one over you KNOW you grew up in a very, very special time.

No BIG money then - just honest sporstmanship but probably much tougher than you get now. I know they all got released at the end of each summer; Pilling once used to knock together coffins in the winter and of course Peter Lever had a window-cleaning round; in the Rochdale area??
RIP Jack Bond on 08:55 - Jul 15 with 2279 viewsDiddyDave

Didn`t he also play for City,or am I thinking of someone else?
RIP Jack Bond on 09:09 - Jul 15 with 2269 viewsCleedale

RIP Jack Bond on 08:55 - Jul 15 by DiddyDave

Didn`t he also play for City,or am I thinking of someone else?

You thinking of John Bond diddy? Might have also been known as Jack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bond_%28footballer%29
RIP Jack Bond on 09:28 - Jul 15 with 2251 viewsD_Alien

Jack Bond was the glue that made that great Lancs side work, just quietly going about the business of first rate captaincy whilst some very talented individuals performed around him

Held in the highest respect, but no-one could imagine the flying leap he performed to clinch the Gillette Cup at Lord's, referred to above. A golden moment from the early days of one-day cricket

RIP

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

RIP Jack Bond on 09:47 - Jul 15 with 2228 viewsjonahwhereru

That catch and Peter Lever steaming in where my love of cricket started.

You can pick up Jack’s obituary in the Guardian.

RIP
Login to get fewer ads

RIP Jack Bond on 10:15 - Jul 15 with 2205 viewskiwidale

From memory Jack Bond was an occasional county cricketer he mainly played second eleven until he was propelled into the captaincy and the rest is history.

RIP Jack Bond on 10:38 - Jul 15 with 2186 viewsmingthemerciless

Who can forget that catch ? Never has the old maxim" Hold your catches,win your matches " been more true. Asif was going like a train until Jack defied gravity.
RIP Jack Bond on 11:39 - Jul 15 with 2146 viewsDaleiLama

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

RIP Jack Bond on 11:54 - Jul 15 with 2135 viewsD_Alien

RIP Jack Bond on 11:39 - Jul 15 by DaleiLama

Fantastic images

The run out from Clive Lloyd (known as Supercat before his legs went) was also iconic of that era

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

RIP Jack Bond on 12:34 - Jul 15 with 2088 viewsEllDale

We saw a lot of that team on telly.
BBC2 used to cover a live cover game every Sunday with commentary from John Arlott and Jim Laker as well as Gillette Cup matches.
As for that catch of Bond's; I missed it because I was queueing up for the gents.
Kent were on top, seemigly cruising to victory and there was a roar. "Another boundary" smirked this bloke from Kent in front of me but then there was a bigger roar to herald the catch!.
RIP Jack Bond on 12:47 - Jul 15 with 2073 viewsDiddyDave

RIP Jack Bond on 09:09 - Jul 15 by Cleedale

You thinking of John Bond diddy? Might have also been known as Jack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bond_%28footballer%29

My apologies,I was thinking of Jack Dyson who played for Lancashire and also scored a goal in City`s 3-1 victory over Birmingham City in the 1956 Cup Final.
RIP Jack Bond on 16:13 - Jul 15 with 1981 viewsDaleiLama

RIP Jack Bond on 12:47 - Jul 15 by DiddyDave

My apologies,I was thinking of Jack Dyson who played for Lancashire and also scored a goal in City`s 3-1 victory over Birmingham City in the 1956 Cup Final.

Big vacuum created when he retired

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

RIP Jack Bond on 01:23 - Jul 16 with 1900 viewskiwidale

RIP Jack Bond on 16:13 - Jul 15 by DaleiLama

Big vacuum created when he retired

Hover thought it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024