Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. 12:05 - Jun 2 with 4316 viewsBigKindo

After perhaps a night of metaphorically throwing toys, hopefully competitively priced, out of your pram you now have to consider your precarious position and how you might rescue whatever remaining shreds there may be, amongst your cohorts, of your ever-decreasing personal credibility.
Perhaps you should start with a careful dusting down of your employment contract (did you write it yourself?) in order to refresh yourself with how you can personally benefit and might further undermine the Club and fans. This Spring clean must now be on the cards and undertaken as it is of paramount importance and priority for you.
“Now if I am dismissed what plan of action have I? Well, if dismissed perhaps a case of unfair constructive or otherwise dismissal at an Employment Tribunal?” Well personally I think that would be a bad move for you because then more dirty linen could be hung out to dry. That could, be a massive own goal. So forget that potential basic error David. If you are made redundant accept it with good grace. It might still get you the odd sympathy vote. So what other opportunities might present themselves? “Well there is…... No. Or perhaps……… No. Maybe that……… No.” Oh dear. There appears to be only one other viable way out. That’s it! Why wasn’t it thought of before. Resignation! The personal or health issue formula appears to get sympathy without raising public comment. Good idea. Not much of an eyebrow raiser there then. So why not consider the idea and implement it. “And then afterwards I could ban myself from the Stadium and not have to confront those who have not believed in the Bottomley Plan. That just might increase public support for my plight. Or what about a position as a Life Vice-Presidency?” Together, David, we have discovered it is most apparent that the route of an E.G.M. has worked well, well at least for the majority. What if some of those dastardly devious fans request another E.G.M. calling for a vote of no confidence in the C.E.O. Golly gosh! That might encourage the remaining Members of the Board not to drag their feet in agreeing a way forward. With all haste better get out a sheet of the Basildon Bond and start putting the resignation letter together. And I feel confident that should the words not come too easy, not flow from the pen as you would wish, there are many who would willingly aid you.
But another scenario also raises its ugly head. The trouble is David that you are so mistrusted that we wouldn’t put it past you, that before you go through the exit door as you surely must, that you have a fire sale of contracted players to cover any payments legally due to you. Another fantastic idea. A gesture of petulance with a painful kick in the gonads for all the fans who had the effrontery to oppose you and an excellent opportunity to move the Club a little nearer to the cliff edge. You wouldn’t do that would you? Or would you?
So, in a nutshell, David, there you have it. The choice is yours. Personally I think that your best escape route is resignation, definitely sooner rather than later before anything hits the sports press as it surely will. The health issues? Perhaps Haemorrhoids because quite frankly you have been a total pain in the butts of many Dale supporters in recent years.
As to your future prospects. Why not take up a Gold Bond Round and put something back into the Club for which you claim to passionately care.
An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 12:25 - Jun 2 with 4191 viewselectricblue

What would it take to pay him off £30/£40k money well worth it to remove him....

Once he clears his desk and walks out through the main doors to his car, get the locks changed and all relevent passwords.......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 12:40 - Jun 2 with 4112 viewsBigKindo

His car or a company car?
An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 13:05 - Jun 2 with 3985 views1907

I don’t think it is feasible for him to be made redundant given we need a CEO to run the day to day management of the business.

I’m fairly certain you can’t make someone redundant and immediately replace the role like for like. There would need to be a restructure and a new role/vacancy created.

I could be wrong but I’m fairly certain that’s how it’s always worked in my company.
An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 13:13 - Jun 2 with 3964 viewsBigKindo

I perfectly understand from where you are coming. But what is the position if you are dismissed for disciplinary reasons after due process of letters of warning etc?
An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 13:23 - Jun 2 with 3917 viewsBrierls

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 13:05 - Jun 2 by 1907

I don’t think it is feasible for him to be made redundant given we need a CEO to run the day to day management of the business.

I’m fairly certain you can’t make someone redundant and immediately replace the role like for like. There would need to be a restructure and a new role/vacancy created.

I could be wrong but I’m fairly certain that’s how it’s always worked in my company.

That is my understanding. You make a role redundant, not an individual.

David Bottomley's role as Chief Executive is untenable. The process of him being removed from the role can be as easy or difficult as he desires. The end result will be the same.
An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 13:27 - Jun 2 with 3890 viewsEllDale

I was always taught that people aren’t made made redundant but jobs are. Otherwise it could be construed as victimisation.
If the current CEO doesn’t fall on his sword, and I doubt if he will, then the disciplinary process is the only way of seeing him leave.
It should be fairly easy to find sufficient grounds.
What could happen is that he could be suspended pending investigation to prevent any misuse of data but I’m unsure of who has the balls to do that.
An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 13:28 - Jun 2 with 3889 views1907

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 13:13 - Jun 2 by BigKindo

I perfectly understand from where you are coming. But what is the position if you are dismissed for disciplinary reasons after due process of letters of warning etc?

Aye being dismissed is a totally different ball game and if he unwilling to resign then theoretically that would be the only way to remove him.

It’s just how you go about it & who is required to instigate it.

We are still unsure of how complicit any of the directors have been in any of his decisions & how entwined with him they could be.

If he cared about the club as much as he claims, he would resign today.
An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 13:28 - Jun 2 with 3887 viewsAtThePeake

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 13:28 - Jun 2 by 1907

Aye being dismissed is a totally different ball game and if he unwilling to resign then theoretically that would be the only way to remove him.

It’s just how you go about it & who is required to instigate it.

We are still unsure of how complicit any of the directors have been in any of his decisions & how entwined with him they could be.

If he cared about the club as much as he claims, he would resign today.

If he cared about the club as much as he claims, he would have resigned months ago.

Tangled up in blue.

Login to get fewer ads

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 13:32 - Jun 2 with 3865 views1907

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 13:28 - Jun 2 by AtThePeake

If he cared about the club as much as he claims, he would have resigned months ago.

Can’t argue with that
An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 13:44 - Jun 2 with 3803 viewsBrierls

Absolutely, but last night changes everything.

He is no longer the Chief Exec allegedly hated by the majority of fans, he is the Chief Exec removed as a Director by shareholders. The excuse of this being an emotive fan crusade is gone.

I do believe DB cares about the club. He's made a complete arse of it, but I do think he cares. We'll see if he allows his heart (resignation for the good of the club) to rule over his head (extract as much £££ from the club as possible).
An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 13:56 - Jun 2 with 3737 viewsD_Alien

Any support DB may have had within the club - and he must've been pulling more strings than a puppeteer with 12 fingers - must surely vanish as those in positions either on the board or within the employee structure reflect on both the events of last night and their own best interests, leaving aside as they might feel inclined to do the best interests of the club for one moment

But having reflected, they should all reach the conclusion that their loyalty to DB has left them personally exposed and at risk of their own positions. The only recourse, if i were one of them, would be to isolate DB and make it known he was persona non grata whilst he remained within the building. He must be prevented by whatever means from inflicting any more damage than he already has on our brilliant club
[Post edited 2 Jun 2021 13:58]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 14:23 - Jun 2 with 3635 views49thseason

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 13:56 - Jun 2 by D_Alien

Any support DB may have had within the club - and he must've been pulling more strings than a puppeteer with 12 fingers - must surely vanish as those in positions either on the board or within the employee structure reflect on both the events of last night and their own best interests, leaving aside as they might feel inclined to do the best interests of the club for one moment

But having reflected, they should all reach the conclusion that their loyalty to DB has left them personally exposed and at risk of their own positions. The only recourse, if i were one of them, would be to isolate DB and make it known he was persona non grata whilst he remained within the building. He must be prevented by whatever means from inflicting any more damage than he already has on our brilliant club
[Post edited 2 Jun 2021 13:58]

I think the Directors have a number of options should they choose to use them. Witholding information from board members about the renewal of BBMs contract should be worth a warning letter at least. The Board could decide to change his hours, revoke any salary increase, set up an enquiry into the GoldBond/ Lotto fiasco including a full audit of all contracts he has signed in the last 2 years and expenses claimed. Did the board authorise the spending of £50k on PPE or was that a lie to the press? How was that contract negotiated? What was his authorisation to spend £50k if indeed he did?
What examples of dissembling have there been? Is it club policy to be less than truthful to fans or the Media? If it isnt, what are the consequences when it happens?
An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 15:41 - Jun 2 with 3432 viewsDalenet

But he will see himself as doing a good job and the Board seemed to agree. And he can hardly be found to have failed in his duties if the Board haven't appraised him of that.

He will feel humiliated now and I am sure that the Board will talk to him about where we go from here. His credibility as a leader at RAFC is shot. Whilst it is true that an individual can't be made redundant, but a role can, there is always room for a compromise agreement for a CEO. If he was paid to leave he may well go. If I was in his shoes I wouldn't resign but would wait for such a deal to be made.

A long June perhaps
An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 15:51 - Jun 2 with 3389 viewsBigKindo

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 15:41 - Jun 2 by Dalenet

But he will see himself as doing a good job and the Board seemed to agree. And he can hardly be found to have failed in his duties if the Board haven't appraised him of that.

He will feel humiliated now and I am sure that the Board will talk to him about where we go from here. His credibility as a leader at RAFC is shot. Whilst it is true that an individual can't be made redundant, but a role can, there is always room for a compromise agreement for a CEO. If he was paid to leave he may well go. If I was in his shoes I wouldn't resign but would wait for such a deal to be made.

A long June perhaps

A long June and perhaps a potential deterrent to many not to buy a season pass. If he doesn't go then supporters will continue paying the wages of a Club employee they don't want.
An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 16:22 - Jun 2 with 3307 viewsSuddenLad

There is now a serious conversation to be had about the role of the CEO, the manner in which he came to hold the position, the allegations about awarding of increased salaries whilst staff are furloughed and others dispensed with.

His whole conduct in performing the position he holds needs to be reviewed. The proper and fair way to do this is to do what happens in other corporate settings and that would be to suspend the employee whilst a full internal enquiry takes place to establish whether there is a case to be made for gross misconduct.

The mechanism for such a process must surely exist, so let's see it implemented. There are still many unanswered questions which need thorough examination. There needs to a root and branch look at the running of the club and this is the perfect opportunity to do just that.

This is a golden opportunity to clear the decks and start afresh with everyone pulling in the same direction.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 17:18 - Jun 2 with 3133 viewsRAFCBLUE

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 16:22 - Jun 2 by SuddenLad

There is now a serious conversation to be had about the role of the CEO, the manner in which he came to hold the position, the allegations about awarding of increased salaries whilst staff are furloughed and others dispensed with.

His whole conduct in performing the position he holds needs to be reviewed. The proper and fair way to do this is to do what happens in other corporate settings and that would be to suspend the employee whilst a full internal enquiry takes place to establish whether there is a case to be made for gross misconduct.

The mechanism for such a process must surely exist, so let's see it implemented. There are still many unanswered questions which need thorough examination. There needs to a root and branch look at the running of the club and this is the perfect opportunity to do just that.

This is a golden opportunity to clear the decks and start afresh with everyone pulling in the same direction.

The only logical, inevitable step to take is to complain under the club's complaints policy 2021.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/club/club-policies/

Relevant extracts:
Section 1:
The Club welcomes comments and complaints from all members of the Club, Academy and Community and from the general public.

Section 5.5:
Complaints against the Chief Executive should be addressed to the Chair of the Governors c/o the Clerk to the Corporation. Complaints against the Governing Body should also be addressed to the Clerk to the Corporation.

Section 6:
Complaints can also be made in writing and may be submitted by post to:

The Independent Football Ombudsman
Suite 49, 33 Great George Street,
LEEDS LS1 3AJ.

or by e-mail to: contact@theifo.co.uk

I'm a believer that normal process should be followed but Section 5.5 appears that whatever document was copied and pasted to form our policy it was not updated.

In the circumstances and given certain disclosures made in the room last evening, I would suggest that it is one for the Trust to formally complain to the Board as they see fit but note that a filing of a letter of complaint with the Independent Football Ombudsman would, most likely, be highly detrimental to the reputation of both the individual and to the club.

In those circumstances, it may be that the individual reflects that a more dignified way to transition would be to step down from the role.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 19:50 - Jun 2 with 2782 viewsblackdogblue

One comment.. let’s not make this personal...

He will have done good as well as bad decisions and at the end of the day he is a person, if it was racist comments there would be an outcry...

As much as it’s been decided it’s time to go....

Dignity is a right as well.....

👍

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 20:11 - Jun 2 with 2718 viewsnordenblue

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 19:50 - Jun 2 by blackdogblue

One comment.. let’s not make this personal...

He will have done good as well as bad decisions and at the end of the day he is a person, if it was racist comments there would be an outcry...

As much as it’s been decided it’s time to go....

Dignity is a right as well.....

👍

All well and good and I agree to a degree, but when a guys blatantly hidden the truth purely for his own benefit and financial gain, all this while the rest of the staff are on furlough knowing there's massive cuts to the playing staff too, doesn't deserve much dignity in my eyes.

You play big games, you win big prizes.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2021 20:12]
An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 20:17 - Jun 2 with 2689 viewsblackdogblue

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 20:11 - Jun 2 by nordenblue

All well and good and I agree to a degree, but when a guys blatantly hidden the truth purely for his own benefit and financial gain, all this while the rest of the staff are on furlough knowing there's massive cuts to the playing staff too, doesn't deserve much dignity in my eyes.

You play big games, you win big prizes.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2021 20:12]

I was just making a voice like I did with the infamous twitter row..

There is a person at the end of this, let’s speak out our thoughts but don’t make it person”al”

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 15:21 - Jun 3 with 2108 viewsDaleiLama

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 15:41 - Jun 2 by Dalenet

A long June perhaps

This (compromise agreement), from an HR point of view, is absolutely the way to do it with a two-way confidentiality agreement + agreed (bland) reference to accompany.

Under the circumstances, it shouldn't cost a lot. My personal offer would be a stall on Bury market and as many boxes of hand sanitiser as we have in the storeroom.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 19:18 - Jun 3 with 1893 viewsTomRAFC

The board are well within their rights to review the CEO's conduct and dismiss him accordingly. I doubt they will but they can. The role could be filled on a temporary basis.

I'd prefer to see an entire change of board and we aren't without candidates.

Richard Wild
Francis Collins
Chris Dunphy (with A N. Other unnamed associate)
Dan Altman
Emre Marcelli
Graham Morris' 4 (maybe even G.M. too)

That's 10 for starters. The club charter suggests a minimum of 7. I'm sure there are people in here who might not get on or may be unknown quantities but it'd be a big step forward. There may even be someone interested in shares...

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 19:28 - Jun 3 with 1857 viewstony_roch975

An open letter to the CEO David Bottomley. on 19:18 - Jun 3 by TomRAFC

The board are well within their rights to review the CEO's conduct and dismiss him accordingly. I doubt they will but they can. The role could be filled on a temporary basis.

I'd prefer to see an entire change of board and we aren't without candidates.

Richard Wild
Francis Collins
Chris Dunphy (with A N. Other unnamed associate)
Dan Altman
Emre Marcelli
Graham Morris' 4 (maybe even G.M. too)

That's 10 for starters. The club charter suggests a minimum of 7. I'm sure there are people in here who might not get on or may be unknown quantities but it'd be a big step forward. There may even be someone interested in shares...

candidates they may be but as to whether they're any step forward and offer a future for the Club which fans want we can't know without putting their proposals under a forensic public microscope

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024