|Shrewsbury Town 3 v 2 Rochdale|
SkyBet League One
Saturday, 19th August 2017 Kick-off 15:00
Interview with a Shrewsbury fan
Wednesday, 16th Aug 2017 10:00 by Col
Saturday sees us travel down to Shropshire to take on Shrewsbury, so to find out what's going on with all things Shrewsbury, we've got the lowdown from one of their supporters.
1. Who are ya, and how long have you supported Shrewsbury? Ollie Warner, Co-Presenter of Salopcast (Shrews Podcast). I started supporting Town when I moved to Shrewsbury in 1989 aged 6.
2. What are the average Shrewsbury supporter’s expectations for the season? Average is the key word! Some fans are very sceptical about this season given we have struggled the in last two seasons after winning promotion from L2. Most fans expect, or hope, we finish mid-table. Some fans think we can go one step further…
3. Happy with Paul Hurst? Tell us about him Very happy. Paul Hurst took over from Micky Mellon and performed a miracle in avoiding relegation. I rate Hurst very highly and I think he will go on to bigger things. He has an eye for a player, sets high standards and after a full pre-season we are seeing new tactics and playing styles. When dealing with the media Hurst is honest and very precise in his communication. While fairly short: I would not mess with him!
4. Who are the dangermen in the Shrews’ side? Nolan in centre midfield is a great signing. He is a silky midfielder who has starred in our two league games this season. Left winger Rodman has started the season well, providing the assist in the Northampton game and scored the winner away at AFC Wimbledon.
5. Gay Meadow or New Meadow? New Meadow - while the new ground isn't in the town centre or unique, we would be bust without the financial revenue and stability the new ground gives us.
6. £18,500,000 for Andre Gray. How come he left you lot for nowt? The rumours go he was always in trouble. All the fans were aware we had a hot young striker in the youth team, but his attitude was so poor the club was had no choice but to let him go. Dropping to the old Conference North was the kick up the arse he needed.
7. Tips for promotion / relegation from League 1 this season. Wigan and Oxford should do well. If Rochdale keep the same side they should be near the play offs again. Last season you were well organised and effective going forward. I don’t believe Blackburn and Portsmouth will do as well as the mainstream media suggests. Gillingham, Oldham and Northampton will struggle.
8. Any highlights or lowlights from matches with Dale over the years? A highlight was an unbelievable goal scored by Grant Holt at Spotland in Boxing day in 2008. It was similar to Paul Gascoigne’s goal versus Scotland in 2006. It really was!
9. Give us your all time favourite Shrewsbury team? We did our best XI on Salopcast. Here is my team:
We have a good record at producing/identifying players: Joe Hart, Connor Goldson at Brighton. Marc Pugh (another reject who went onto better things) at Bournemouth, Ryan Woods is at Brentford, and Dave Edwards is at Wolves.
10. Which was your favourite Shrewsbury home shirt? (name season) Rather controversial but my favourite is a white home shirt, which I wore when I was a mascot in 1989.
11. Any predictions for the game? I think we will win 2-1. Hurst has built a very fit, well organised fluid team that is playing attractive football. A win on Saturday will be one of many more surprise we will create this season.
Oliie is the co-presenter of Salopcast - a Shrewsbury Town podcast. You can listen to his podcasts at Salopcast.
Get two free £10 bets on Wigan Athletic v Rochdale (or other matches) by opening a new account at William Hill. Place an initial bet of a minimum of £10 and William Hill will give you two £10 bets. You must enter the promotional code ''F20'' when signing up as a new customer.
Photo: Action Images
Please report offensive, libellous or inappropriate posts by using the links provided.
You need to login in order to post your comments
[ Vote here ]