Interview with a Donny fan Friday, 12th Oct 2018 10:00 by Col
Doncaster Rovers come to town on Saturday and we've tracked down a Donny fan who owns two season tickets at Spotland.
1) Who are you and how long have you supported Donny? Elliott Marsland - a Donny exile living 500yds from Spotland - supported Donny ever since I can remember, first game ‘i think’ was 1987, my dad never took me to football so went on my own, £1 to get in, nice and early to get autographs and then a sausage roll and bovril before kick off - and yes, the bovril was still like lava deep into the second half
2) What makes Doncaster different to any other team in the country? They are the only football team from the town, Doncaster where coincidentally, God was also born.
3) So, looking forward to injury time then? If that happens again, i knock you out
4) Have things improved under Grant McCann, and if so, why’s that? Things have definitely improved under GM, results, table position and manager of the month accolade for September shows that. Darren Ferguson famously said “you’ll need a tonne of money and a miracle to turn that club around’ after he resigned in the summer. Grant McCann replied “hold my pint”
5) Who’s the dangerman for you on Saturday? The danger man on Saturday is Lee Bullet If does his famous worm again and knocks my pint over, or on the park, had to be the best striker in the football league, you John John John, you John John (Marquis of course)
6) What has been your best and worst memories from games between Dale and Rovers? Best memory - 1990 - at Spotland, Paul Crichton the Donny keeper saved three penalties after the ref ordered 2 re-takes saying he moved. The worst, 1 up deep into injury time, lost 2-1...winner was a worldy to be fair but hurt like hell, local bragging rights well and truly buried.
7) As someone who lives within spitting distance of Spotland (hopefully not literally), what are your thoughts on Dale from what you’ve seen so far this season? Seen a bit of dale this season and looked good against gills, poor against Posh, outclassed against Pompey and fell asleep against Brizzle rovers. They play good footy, defence looks a little leaky, won’t go down, won’t go up, and always a match winner in Henderson (third goal against gills best I’ve seen this season).
8) If you could sign one Dale player, who would it be and why? Sammy Hart for obvious reasons - so I can sing that song and mean it
9) Name your all time Donny XI: Neville Southall Rufus Brevit Steve Nicol Colin Douglas Ian Snodin Michael Mcindoe Richie Wellens Kevin Noteman Jamie Coppinger (legend) John Marquis Mike Jeffrey
10) Predictions for the game? 1-3 away win, and copious amounts of pre and post ale...win or lose, we’ll have a booze
11) Complete the following song: Sammy Hart ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ stop it now, sir x