|Sunderland 2 v 0 Rochdale|
SkyBet League One
Saturday, 6th March 2021 Kick-off 15:00
Stats Magic: Sunderland vs Rochdale
Friday, 5th Mar 2021 13:00 by TVOS1907
TVOS brings us all the pre-match stats ahead of Dale's trip to Sunderland this Saturday afternoon.
* Saturday will be the sixth league game between Dale and Sunderland and the third at the Stadium of Light
* Dale have lost both of their previous visits to the Stadium of Light by three goals – 1-4 in September 2018 and 0-3 in February 2020
* Sunderland have also defeated Dale twice at Spotland, winning 2-1 on each occasion…
* … but earlier this season, we gained our first point against The Black Cats after two Matt Lund goals earned Dale a deserved 2-2 draw
* Dale faced Sunderland’s U21 side at Spotland in the Checkatrade trophy in September 2016. Ian Henderson scored in the 1-1 draw, before Dale won 4-2 on penalties.
* Although that was our first-ever meeting, the teams came close to playing each other in the 1985/86 FA Cup after “Sunderland versus Manchester United or Rochdale” was pulled out as a fourth round tie. Unfortunately for Dale, they were beaten at Old Trafford and didn’t get the chance to visit Roker Park!
* Eoghan O’Connell scored an own goal in Dale’s 3-0 defeat at the Stadium of Light in February 2020, four weeks after he had done the same at Newcastle’s St James’ Park
* Five former Dale managers have a connection with Sunderland. Bob Stokoe managed both clubs, while Doug Collins, Vic Halom and Mick Docherty played for The Black Cats and bossed Dale. Finally, David Hamilton started his career at Sunderland without making the first team and later had a spell as caretaker-manager at Spotland.
* The crowd of 28,764 at Dale’s first-ever visit to the Stadium of Light is the third-largest attendance we have played in front of in league football
* Dale’s leading appearance-makers against Sunderland are Matt Done and Ian Henderson, with five games each
* Dale’s top scorers against The Black Cats, with two goals apiece, are Ian Henderson and Matty Lund
Dale conceded three first half goals in their 3-0 defeat at the Stadium of Light just over a year ago, a game which for many fans, is the last away fixture they attended.
Lynden Gooch scored twice and Eoghan O’Connell put through his own goal in the comfortable win for Sunderland.
See the action here:
Photo: Action Images
Please report offensive, libellous or inappropriate posts by using the links provided.
You need to login in order to post your comments
[ Vote here ]