Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 18:33 - Apr 28 with 15058 viewsSwissdale

Thread title is the story of our season, and the reason (despite us having a strong enough team for a mid-table finish) we will be relegated.

Baffling team selections, tactics and substitutions have been abundant throughout the season — but have come to their crescendo in the last few weeks. Can someone explain, in the most important matches of the season over the past two weeks, how Joe Thompson and Matthew Gillam have been given so much game time?

We’ve desperately needed (what should have been achievable) wins over the past 4 games, so why have we played them ALL without a striker?

We haven’t been able to hold onto a 1 goal lead all season, so why aren’t we carrying on taking the game to the opposition in search of that second goal?

The players have got a lot to answer for. Ian Henderson being sent off v Peterborough is criminal at such an important stage of the season, but there are so many examples of players making poor decisions / mistakes that have cost us points in this run in (Done v Pompey, Lillis v Bradford, Camps today).

I still believe Keith Hill is the man for the job, but this season has eroded a LOT of his goodwill. It seems to me something has changed in his mentality, and it’s playing out in the way he interviews, and the way his team is performing. Let’s hope a relegation will give him the kick up the backside he needs, and revert back to what we know is a winning formula — Disciplined, physically fit players who play positive attacking football.
Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 19:15 - Apr 29 with 2254 viewsTVOS1907

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 17:59 - Apr 29 by Daley_Lama

Hurrah.

Our best CH this season will be here next season.

Aye, but there hasn't been that much competition.

If we are to improve and do better than this season (whichever division we are in) we need more quality in that position, which is something that was discussed ad infinitum on here about 12 months ago when we looked at all the late goals we had conceded.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 19:16 - Apr 29 with 2252 viewsTVOS1907

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 18:36 - Apr 29 by fitzochris

Questions one and ten are probably down to our inability to have long spells of possession this season when compared to others. If we’re chasing the ball more, we’re going to tire.

I honestly want to hear from Hill on a lot points at the end of the season to see what he thinks.

From what I’ve seen of us this season, we seem to have abandoned a lot of the things we did so well in the past. We don’t seem to move the opposition around as much, or create gaps to exploit. The ultimate irony is, the only game I’ve seen us do that in this season was against Premier League opposition.

Why do you want to hear from Hill?

Ah...

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 19:28 - Apr 29 with 2222 viewsDale23years

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 19:16 - Apr 29 by TVOS1907

Why do you want to hear from Hill?

Ah...

that I've messed up and it has a lot to do with me why Rochdale been relegated, that a be a start.

I had the best budget the club ever give me, but signed sub-standards players.

reason for the negative tactics.

His excuses for losing 32 points from winning positions.

There's a start
[Post edited 29 Apr 2018 19:36]

Poll: Renewing your season ticket

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 19:38 - Apr 29 with 2194 viewsTVOS1907

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 19:28 - Apr 29 by Dale23years

that I've messed up and it has a lot to do with me why Rochdale been relegated, that a be a start.

I had the best budget the club ever give me, but signed sub-standards players.

reason for the negative tactics.

His excuses for losing 32 points from winning positions.

There's a start
[Post edited 29 Apr 2018 19:36]

I was asking Fitzo.

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 19:40 - Apr 29 with 2191 viewsDale23years

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 19:38 - Apr 29 by TVOS1907

I was asking Fitzo.

was giving a example of questions fans want answering

Poll: Renewing your season ticket

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 19:43 - Apr 29 with 2184 viewsfitzochris

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 19:40 - Apr 29 by Dale23years

was giving a example of questions fans want answering

I think you may have missed the irony in TVOS’ original post.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 19:45 - Apr 29 with 2172 viewsFalingeParka

It seems there is some disconnect somewhere between the management and the board, where each are doing each other's bidding. If there's 1.5M profit then there's leeway on wages, Eastham playing every game would have kept us up, given us 8 more points, at an extra whatever x a week.

No-one expects transfer fees to be spent, see how that 100 got burnt last closed season. But we're playing a feeble hand feebly on wages.

ColonelHall

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 19:49 - Apr 29 with 2149 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 18:59 - Apr 29 by FalingeParka

Stay up, or no, big summer break for KH to rethink. Unlearn. Stop obsessing about budgets. Other club's budgets. Find a captain in midfield. Stop thinking about a big man up front etc etc

Re your last point.

Calvin, providing he is fit, will be one of the first names on the team sheet next season and will be there with the blessing of the vast majority of supporters. We may need to suffer a relegation and the same issues again next season for the management and supporters to eventually realise the limitations of having Calvin as the focal point of play. Or maybe not, maybe we will resort again to trying to solve the seemingly permanent riddle of trying to find someone to ‘play off’ Calvin. It’s not Calvin, it’s the approach. It’s too easy, it’s too pedestrian and it’s too bloody predictable. And, I’m sorry but he needs to score more goals. Whatever happens on Saturday he’s scored none in ten since he’s come back into the side, and this during a relegation battle. Apologies, rant over.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Login to get fewer ads

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 19:54 - Apr 29 with 2128 viewsTVOS1907

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 19:43 - Apr 29 by fitzochris

I think you may have missed the irony in TVOS’ original post.

I think you might be right.

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 19:59 - Apr 29 with 2118 viewsFalingeParka

I cannot agree more. This has been done to death again and again. Calvin is a folk hero. The word used is immense. for example, I saw him at Millwall. And indeed, the man was 'immense' in terms of effort. Carried the team and all that. BS though.

I also saw him in his one of his first pre-season games before full debut at home to Bury or whoever. No-one watching, last minute, most gone home. Absolute sitter on his head from eight yards. Never looked like scoring. Knew then. What can you do?

ColonelHall

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 20:04 - Apr 29 with 2101 viewsFalingeParka

So, even more of a folk hero, he becomes our principle defender at conceded corners. All our focus at one end and the other and can't actually play football for shit. The stupidity of it is beyond belief.

ColonelHall

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 20:17 - Apr 29 with 2079 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 19:59 - Apr 29 by FalingeParka

I cannot agree more. This has been done to death again and again. Calvin is a folk hero. The word used is immense. for example, I saw him at Millwall. And indeed, the man was 'immense' in terms of effort. Carried the team and all that. BS though.

I also saw him in his one of his first pre-season games before full debut at home to Bury or whoever. No-one watching, last minute, most gone home. Absolute sitter on his head from eight yards. Never looked like scoring. Knew then. What can you do?

It may unfortunately take a relegation.

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 20:17 - Apr 29 with 2078 viewsFalingeParka

All through the season some have pointed to it. Henderson in midfield, what the f is he doing there? Done back, why isn't he scoring, why is he playing there? Why aren't goals coming from midfield? ANS: cos the whole team is set up around a donkey of a number 9. But no, Calvin is the man.

ColonelHall

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 20:24 - Apr 29 with 2069 viewsFalingeParka

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 20:17 - Apr 29 by BigDaveMyCock

It may unfortunately take a relegation.

That might not do it. KH is gifted and blind. The thought of us whacking it up the channels to CA at FGR and coming home empty handed. I'd take it mind, if I hadn't seen better, not so long ago.

ColonelHall

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 20:34 - Apr 29 with 2045 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 20:24 - Apr 29 by FalingeParka

That might not do it. KH is gifted and blind. The thought of us whacking it up the channels to CA at FGR and coming home empty handed. I'd take it mind, if I hadn't seen better, not so long ago.

That’s the baffling thing about it. We were almost the antithesis of this type of football 2 years/18 months ago. We’re now not good enough to beat the cloggers and light years away from the good teams. Trenches though, think trenches or, shifts, think of shift work.

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 20:39 - Apr 29 with 2022 viewsFalingeParka

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 20:34 - Apr 29 by BigDaveMyCock

That’s the baffling thing about it. We were almost the antithesis of this type of football 2 years/18 months ago. We’re now not good enough to beat the cloggers and light years away from the good teams. Trenches though, think trenches or, shifts, think of shift work.

Think of digging a trench, and gently using the spade to cover yourself.

ColonelHall

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 20:55 - Apr 29 with 1980 viewsdalenumber2

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 19:49 - Apr 29 by BigDaveMyCock

Re your last point.

Calvin, providing he is fit, will be one of the first names on the team sheet next season and will be there with the blessing of the vast majority of supporters. We may need to suffer a relegation and the same issues again next season for the management and supporters to eventually realise the limitations of having Calvin as the focal point of play. Or maybe not, maybe we will resort again to trying to solve the seemingly permanent riddle of trying to find someone to ‘play off’ Calvin. It’s not Calvin, it’s the approach. It’s too easy, it’s too pedestrian and it’s too bloody predictable. And, I’m sorry but he needs to score more goals. Whatever happens on Saturday he’s scored none in ten since he’s come back into the side, and this during a relegation battle. Apologies, rant over.

Much as I like Calvin, we seemed to do all right without him when he was injured at the time of the FA cup games.
Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 21:18 - Apr 29 with 1909 viewsYouTubeDale

It’s good we are having a post mortem before the last game. We can use it as a reference just in case we avoid the drop on Saturday. If we succeed on Saturday there is a big chance that it will paper over the cracks. The cracks need to be identified before those rose tinted glasses are put on.
Hence, we can begin to put things right,or more importantly Keith should respond to well-founded concerns. If we do go down,then Hill must learn lessons, many pointed out here,to avoid a catastrophic Chesterfield scenario.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 21:27 - Apr 29 with 1888 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 20:55 - Apr 29 by dalenumber2

Much as I like Calvin, we seemed to do all right without him when he was injured at the time of the FA cup games.

It’s hard to dislike Calvin to be fair. I just think the tactic of feeding off his headers is limited and easy to counter. The Tottenham game was the biggest tease of the season.

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 21:37 - Apr 29 with 1858 viewsFalingeParka

I like Calvin,
You like Calvin,
We like Calvin,
They like Calvin.
We all like Calvin.

Point is, as said again and again, any and all success we have had under Il Duce is with quick and smart play to the feet with someone in the box, with Hendo, who knows the difference between a shot on goal, and a goal.

ColonelHall

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 21:44 - Apr 29 with 1849 viewsFalingeParka

It's quite frightening really to think of the front two talent we had in League Two over a period and who we have now. Goal scorers aren't easy to find I admit but we must find one from the youth, from non-league or somewhere.

ColonelHall

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 22:18 - Apr 29 with 1790 viewskiwidale

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 20:39 - Apr 29 by FalingeParka

Think of digging a trench, and gently using the spade to cover yourself.

That's a great analogy Parky sums it up perfectly.

This is not the time for bickering.

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 00:06 - Apr 30 with 1718 viewsSandyman

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 17:59 - Apr 29 by Daley_Lama

Hurrah.

Our best CH this season will be here next season.

Better than McGahey??????
Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 09:03 - Apr 30 with 1510 viewsDaley_Lama

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 00:06 - Apr 30 by Sandyman

Better than McGahey??????

Absolutely

Last season, I would have shipped Big Jim out without the blink of an eyelash. He was slow on the ball, often caught in possession, directly responsible for goals conceded from the September to May and each month in-between,

This season, he has been none of that. He leads the back line, he has not dropped clanger after clanger and each time I've seen our defence play without him in a CH position I think we have looked weaker. We've conceded circa 15 goals less than the last 3 seasons.

Appreciate some rate McGahey highly (I rate him ok), I simply rate Jim's performances higher than his throughout this season.

Poll: DF in or out

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 09:36 - Apr 30 with 1488 viewsdawlishdale

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 09:03 - Apr 30 by Daley_Lama

Absolutely

Last season, I would have shipped Big Jim out without the blink of an eyelash. He was slow on the ball, often caught in possession, directly responsible for goals conceded from the September to May and each month in-between,

This season, he has been none of that. He leads the back line, he has not dropped clanger after clanger and each time I've seen our defence play without him in a CH position I think we have looked weaker. We've conceded circa 15 goals less than the last 3 seasons.

Appreciate some rate McGahey highly (I rate him ok), I simply rate Jim's performances higher than his throughout this season.

There are two Jim McNulty's.

The one who can't play in a back four and is an absolute liability.

Then there is the one who plays in a back three with wing backs, who is calm, assured and brave.

The former is L2/Conference standard, whilst the latter is a good solid L1 player.

Which one we see depends almost entirely on Hills team formation/tactics.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024