Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On this day in 1979... 14:05 - May 4 with 4229 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

On this day in 1979, Margaret Thatcher led the Conservative Party to victory, defeating the Labour Party to become Prime Minister. She would serve the nation for 11 years.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

On this day in 1979... on 21:26 - May 4 with 831 viewsBoundy

On this day in 1979... on 21:09 - May 4 by jack247

Right to buy only ended a couple of years ago. It was a good scheme. Why shouldn’t people who had been renting council properties for a number of years be able to get some of their money back by buying below market value.

Not sure what the score was in the 80s, but more recently, finding a deposit was the only problem for a lot of people. Using the discount in lieu of one helped a lot of people buy their own home with lower mortgage payments than they were used to in rent.

I rented a two bed council house with my wife and two youngsters ,once the 3rd came along we moved to a three bed ( not easy at the time , this was down to medical reasons) . We bought our house where we still live and guess what the market rate is proportional to the area where we live , in fact because its ex council an equivalent house would cost 25k more , No quick flip for us and for many of my neighbours who have lived alongside for many years.Yes there were a few who made a quick profit but the majority saw it as we did that it made personal economical sense to buy instead of rent . If we sold up it would be an ideal price for first time buyers who without this type of housing stock would find their options to buy limited. There's also a certain pride in owning your own property and marked difference in attitudes in towards maintaining the property , some tenants would be more suited in a pig sty, " its not mine see "

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

On this day in 1979... on 21:41 - May 4 with 806 viewsjack247

On this day in 1979... on 21:26 - May 4 by Boundy

I rented a two bed council house with my wife and two youngsters ,once the 3rd came along we moved to a three bed ( not easy at the time , this was down to medical reasons) . We bought our house where we still live and guess what the market rate is proportional to the area where we live , in fact because its ex council an equivalent house would cost 25k more , No quick flip for us and for many of my neighbours who have lived alongside for many years.Yes there were a few who made a quick profit but the majority saw it as we did that it made personal economical sense to buy instead of rent . If we sold up it would be an ideal price for first time buyers who without this type of housing stock would find their options to buy limited. There's also a certain pride in owning your own property and marked difference in attitudes in towards maintaining the property , some tenants would be more suited in a pig sty, " its not mine see "

They were being sold to tenants at £8k below (their own) valuation a couple of years ago. I think there was a bigger discount not long back.

I may be wrong, but I think there was a clause where you couldn’t sell for 5 years or you’d have to pay the discount back. Aim was to get people owning their own homes, not enable them to flip for a quick profit.
On this day in 1979... on 21:50 - May 4 with 794 viewsKeithHaynes

My son in law Adam at the rear, Lance jack at the time, RAF Regt. QCS.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

On this day in 1979... on 22:23 - May 4 with 769 viewsbuilthjack

On this day in 1979... on 18:30 - May 4 by onehunglow

Yet,away from that Red area you live in,many opine differently .
One who had the guts to defend this country.
One who beat filth like Hatton and his like.
One that modernised Britain

You utterly cannot see any other view.

I was one of the few who was ambivalent.

Still am

We are not wholly bad or good

Whilst you were hitting miners over the head with your truncheon, your bank balance expanded big time. One of Maggies henchmen eh.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

On this day in 1979... on 22:28 - May 4 with 758 viewsKeithHaynes

On this day in 1979... on 22:23 - May 4 by builthjack

Whilst you were hitting miners over the head with your truncheon, your bank balance expanded big time. One of Maggies henchmen eh.

Nobody was harmed in the writing or posting of Builthys comments.

On this day in 1979... on 22:37 - May 4 with 752 viewsBoundy

On this day in 1979... on 21:41 - May 4 by jack247

They were being sold to tenants at £8k below (their own) valuation a couple of years ago. I think there was a bigger discount not long back.

I may be wrong, but I think there was a clause where you couldn’t sell for 5 years or you’d have to pay the discount back. Aim was to get people owning their own homes, not enable them to flip for a quick profit.

i honestly can't recall what discount we had but it was based on "time served" paying rent . A few were bought to be sold on after the 5 years were up and I suppose with a bit of a decent equity .As I say most of my neighbours are still living in their own homes ,and the mix for home ownership example in my road is about 50-50 .We have considered moving to downsize and we may but we're quite happy here but if we do it'll be with the knowledge that we'll have to pay towards the balance of a smaller home but in a"nicer" area .

On this day in 1979... on 09:17 - May 5 with 699 viewsonehunglow

On this day in 1979... on 22:28 - May 4 by KeithHaynes

Nobody was harmed in the writing or posting of Builthys comments.

You bash any miners over the head Guv.?

Ken seems to hate me but at least he's honest.

In real life ,he seemed so quiet ,harmless,sweet and cuddly and handsome and talking handsome...

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

On this day in 1979... on 09:42 - May 5 with 697 viewscontroversial_jack

On this day in 1979... on 20:00 - May 4 by trampie

The council houses were owned by the state by the people, it was not Maggie's to sell off our housing stock, my family did not live in council houses so did not have the financial benefit that council house dwellers had which is not fair.
She sold the country's family silver off our nationalised industries for a song, she divided this country into have and have nots.

The state is the people, so we already owned them.
Login to get fewer ads

On this day in 1979... on 09:52 - May 5 with 695 viewsBoundy

On this day in 1979... on 21:50 - May 4 by KeithHaynes

You should be proud of him , Thatcher's funeral was the closest to a state funeral you could get .

On this day in 1979... on 09:54 - May 5 with 693 viewsonehunglow

On this day in 1979... on 21:50 - May 4 by KeithHaynes

Awful to view that Keith.
Had no idea.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

On this day in 1979... on 10:15 - May 5 with 681 viewsKeithHaynes

On this day in 1979... on 09:52 - May 5 by Boundy

You should be proud of him , Thatcher's funeral was the closest to a state funeral you could get .

Very much so 👍

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024