Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stephen Dooley 09:54 - Oct 1 with 4015 viewsgeraldo

Do we know what has happened to him - he made a cameo appearance against Middlesboro and by all accounts did well but don't think he has ever featured in a league squad. He was heralded as a major signing at the time but is he another Jordan Williams?
Stephen Dooley on 09:56 - Oct 1 with 4007 viewsForever_and_a_Dale

He played against Coventry in the league and got injured near the end of the game but had to stay on as the Norman also got injured. Most likely still injured.
Stephen Dooley on 10:02 - Oct 1 with 3988 viewsfitzochris

He looked ace against Middlesbrough and was a little sacrificed against Coventry to deal with the threat down the left. Then, as said, he got injured.

He still is injured, I believe, and is no way “another Jordan Williams”, who himself may still come good.

Because we have a large squad, the speculation will always arise as to whether a player is injured, not training well, or is just considered an antagonist to the manager’s plans.

While the club would rightly never explicitly comment on the latter two, confirming the former would pretty much confirm the latter two anyway.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Stephen Dooley on 10:53 - Oct 1 with 3910 viewsalbert_park

Stephen Dooley on 10:02 - Oct 1 by fitzochris

He looked ace against Middlesbrough and was a little sacrificed against Coventry to deal with the threat down the left. Then, as said, he got injured.

He still is injured, I believe, and is no way “another Jordan Williams”, who himself may still come good.

Because we have a large squad, the speculation will always arise as to whether a player is injured, not training well, or is just considered an antagonist to the manager’s plans.

While the club would rightly never explicitly comment on the latter two, confirming the former would pretty much confirm the latter two anyway.

Players disappear from the squad consistently so shouldn't the fans be informed if they are injured. Shouldn't the club get Andy Thorpe to update us weekly with a "news from the treatment room" article. I seem to remember something similar in the not-too-distant past!
Stephen Dooley on 11:12 - Oct 1 with 3886 viewsJames1980

If the policy about injuries, is to do with mind games, personally I think that is a waste of time.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Stephen Dooley on 11:44 - Oct 1 with 3852 viewsD_Alien

Stephen Dooley on 11:12 - Oct 1 by James1980

If the policy about injuries, is to do with mind games, personally I think that is a waste of time.

I'm of the opinion that mind games about injuries are a waste of time (any possible sporting advantage being absolutely minimal in the bigger scheme of things) but are one of the few ways the manager can exert control by pretending it's important we don't know

I doubt our opponents could give a f*ck who we put up against them, or even more importantly, have on the bench. Are they going to change their personnel/tactics to accommodate all these unknowns? Far more important is our formation, which doesn't hinge on the availability of fringe players

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Stephen Dooley on 11:55 - Oct 1 with 3830 viewsfitzochris

Stephen Dooley on 10:53 - Oct 1 by albert_park

Players disappear from the squad consistently so shouldn't the fans be informed if they are injured. Shouldn't the club get Andy Thorpe to update us weekly with a "news from the treatment room" article. I seem to remember something similar in the not-too-distant past!

I’m an advocate for this kind of feature, but, when Hill starts referring to players “thinking they know best” and “not doing enough in training”, if we know exactly who is injured, we can also surmise from that who he isn’t happy with.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Stephen Dooley on 13:23 - Oct 1 with 3673 viewsD_Alien

Stephen Dooley on 11:55 - Oct 1 by fitzochris

I’m an advocate for this kind of feature, but, when Hill starts referring to players “thinking they know best” and “not doing enough in training”, if we know exactly who is injured, we can also surmise from that who he isn’t happy with.

Well put. Given that many teams, including some very successful ones, are able to share the injury news with their supporters, i'd view the inability to do so in the terms you describe as a failure of management

Stephen Dooley on 14:03 - Oct 1 with 3614 viewsDaleiLama

Stephen Dooley on 11:44 - Oct 1 by D_Alien

I'm of the opinion that mind games about injuries are a waste of time (any possible sporting advantage being absolutely minimal in the bigger scheme of things) but are one of the few ways the manager can exert control by pretending it's important we don't know

I doubt our opponents could give a f*ck who we put up against them, or even more importantly, have on the bench. Are they going to change their personnel/tactics to accommodate all these unknowns? Far more important is our formation, which doesn't hinge on the availability of fringe players

Trying to pick our starting X1 and formation has vexed even the most ardent Dale fan for some time now. In view of our defensive frailties, however, I would suggest it doesn't matter in terms of our opponent preparing. I would imagine the discussion of tactics involves getting to the by line and either crossing or forcing a corner as often as possible and falling on the deck as soon as the box looms into view to try to win a free kick. We all know what happens next …………..

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Login to get fewer ads

Stephen Dooley on 14:29 - Oct 1 with 3569 viewsJames1980

Is the root cause of the problem the midfield? Central players not doing enough to cut out passes to the opposition wide players. Our wide players not doing enough to intercept passes or prevent crosses getting in etc?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Stephen Dooley on 14:48 - Oct 1 with 3526 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Stephen Dooley on 14:03 - Oct 1 by DaleiLama

Trying to pick our starting X1 and formation has vexed even the most ardent Dale fan for some time now. In view of our defensive frailties, however, I would suggest it doesn't matter in terms of our opponent preparing. I would imagine the discussion of tactics involves getting to the by line and either crossing or forcing a corner as often as possible and falling on the deck as soon as the box looms into view to try to win a free kick. We all know what happens next …………..

Bristol Rovers,Blackpool........etc,are you listening. It's spot on.
Stephen Dooley on 15:57 - Oct 1 with 3420 viewstony_roch975

Stephen Dooley on 14:29 - Oct 1 by James1980

Is the root cause of the problem the midfield? Central players not doing enough to cut out passes to the opposition wide players. Our wide players not doing enough to intercept passes or prevent crosses getting in etc?

surely defending starts from the forwards - whatever the personnel & formation; e.g. we didn't keep a clean sheet against Gills cos of last ditch defending by our CBs/ FBs but cos our wide forwards pushed their FBs deep so they couldn't get in crosses and the central forwards stopped their CBs and M/F from playing out from the back.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Stephen Dooley on 16:01 - Oct 1 with 3409 viewsrochdaleriddler

Stephen Dooley on 11:44 - Oct 1 by D_Alien

Absolutely, if there was an advantage to be had the top teams would be doing it, the fact that they tell people who is injured days in advance highlights how absurd Rochdale’s policy is. Pretty sure KEnny Jacket wasn’t waiting until he heard about Mcnulty’s inclusion before he decided his tactics on saturday

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Stephen Dooley on 16:19 - Oct 1 with 3367 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Stephen Dooley on 16:01 - Oct 1 by rochdaleriddler

Absolutely, if there was an advantage to be had the top teams would be doing it, the fact that they tell people who is injured days in advance highlights how absurd Rochdale’s policy is. Pretty sure KEnny Jacket wasn’t waiting until he heard about Mcnulty’s inclusion before he decided his tactics on saturday

........must have made his day to see Cool Jim included though, Pitman duly gobbled up his chance as Jim went walkabout.
Stephen Dooley on 22:46 - Oct 1 with 3048 viewsscarrow

Stephen Dooley on 16:19 - Oct 1 by Yorkshire_Dale

........must have made his day to see Cool Jim included though, Pitman duly gobbled up his chance as Jim went walkabout.

I Haven't watched the low lights from the game but wasn't it Delaney who let Pitman give him the slip for his goal.

Poll: Final position

Stephen Dooley on 01:01 - Oct 2 with 2968 viewsD_Alien

Stephen Dooley on 22:46 - Oct 1 by scarrow

I Haven't watched the low lights from the game but wasn't it Delaney who let Pitman give him the slip for his goal.

My impression at the time - and like you i haven't watched recordings - is that Pitman only found himself in a position to get the better of an inexperienced defender due to McNulty's terrible positioning when he should've been able to cut out the cross

Pitman's made a career out of assuming defenders might make a mistake and that split second allowed him to get in front of Delaney, who'll hopefully learn from that

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024