Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gay cakegate 10:56 - Oct 11 with 572 viewsthis_charming_man

What do we think of this? Lots of gay rights activists “outraged” at the court ruling. Some gay fella on really joe ranting about being gay ain’t a political choice.

Surely it’s the bakers right to decide if they want to serve the guy or not, why should anyone be forced to promote something they don’t believe in.

Official club mongboard liaison officer
Poll: So whose fault is it?

Gay cakegate on 12:31 - Oct 11 with 529 viewsOc7saint

I feel sorry for the baker that he to go the supreme court.

For the gay lad to say he felt like a second class citizen is ridiculous. The Baker never refused to serve him because he was gay. You would be a bit p1ssed off but just go and get it done somewhere else surely.

The way this country is going I just hope somebody got Bert and Ernie's consent before plastering them all over said cake, that will be the next court case!!

Gay cakegate on 12:40 - Oct 11 with 517 viewsericofarabia

As people have said on other sites, what if a paedo or an ISIS follower wanted a cake made extolling their particular beliefs, should the Baker's be forced to go ahead and bake the cake for fear of being dragged through the courts again if they said no?

It's not as if they have refused to serve the customer on a regular basis, just said no to a particular bespoke order. Maybe if they'd said it was too difficult to mak, all would have been fine?

Fairy Cakes anybody?
[Post edited 11 Oct 12:42]
Gay cakegate on 12:44 - Oct 11 with 503 viewsVagina_Dentata

Gay cakegate on 12:40 - Oct 11 by ericofarabia

As people have said on other sites, what if a paedo or an ISIS follower wanted a cake made extolling their particular beliefs, should the Baker's be forced to go ahead and bake the cake for fear of being dragged through the courts again if they said no?

It's not as if they have refused to serve the customer on a regular basis, just said no to a particular bespoke order. Maybe if they'd said it was too difficult to mak, all would have been fine?

Fairy Cakes anybody?
[Post edited 11 Oct 12:42]

You do understand the subtle difference between homosexuals and paedos don’t you? Never mind equating them with Isis.

you can drink your weak lemon drink now.

Gay cakegate on 13:01 - Oct 11 with 486 viewsthis_charming_man

Like all lifestyle choices it’ll go out of fashion in a few years time and it won’t be so much of an issue anyway

Gay cakegate on 13:21 - Oct 11 with 463 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

It's all a bit pathetic really.

Had the bloke just wanted a cake, he'd have got a cake. As he wanted one with a slogan that the baker/owner did not want to endorse, then they were perfectly within their rights to say no.

As open Christians who are more likely to not 'support' the slogan, one has to wonder whether he picked that shop on purpose to make a point?

But like most things in the news, it's boring, pathetic and not really news.

Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Gay cakegate on 13:42 - Oct 11 with 450 viewsgentlekenneth

I do wonder how different the reaction on here would have been if a Muslim-owned cake shop had refused to bake a cake with a St George’s Cross on, for example. Or if a publican decided not to sell beer to Brexiteers because they resent (wrongly) the damage Brexit might do to their business? I remember the outrage from plenty when that dopey shopowner put a sign outside saying Tory voters would have to pay a 10% ‘Tory tax’.
Gay cakegate on 13:55 - Oct 11 with 442 viewsdarthvader

Gay cakegate on 13:42 - Oct 11 by gentlekenneth

I do wonder how different the reaction on here would have been if a Muslim-owned cake shop had refused to bake a cake with a St George’s Cross on, for example. Or if a publican decided not to sell beer to Brexiteers because they resent (wrongly) the damage Brexit might do to their business? I remember the outrage from plenty when that dopey shopowner put a sign outside saying Tory voters would have to pay a 10% ‘Tory tax’.

I'd happily pay the Tory tax. But I wouldn't buy from them if I had a choice , but I do like Fairy cakes

keep the faith coyr

Gay cakegate on 14:10 - Oct 11 with 428 viewsDorsetIan

Good old European Convention on Human Rights to the rescue!...

Impact of ECHR rights
The rights to freedom of thought, conscience and religion (article 9) and to freedom of expression
(article 10) were clearly engaged by this case [49]. They include the right not to be obliged to manifest beliefs one does not hold [52]. The McArthurs could not refuse to provide their products to Mr Lee because he was a gay man or because he supported gay marriage, but that was different from obliging them to supply a cake iced with a message with which they profoundly disagreed [55].
Login to get fewer ads

Gay cakegate on 14:32 - Oct 11 with 413 viewsfreq1

This story made my day. Why should any of us be conditioned to accept lifestyles we don't agree with?

Poll: Sundays match v spurs.. Would you rather.....

Gay cakegate on 14:40 - Oct 11 with 407 viewsfranniesTache

The result and ruling seems pretty reasonable, the latching onto of it by homophobes as a signifier they're allowed to be homophobic i find pretty disgusting.
Gay cakegate on 14:53 - Oct 11 with 399 viewsthis_charming_man

Gay cakegate on 14:40 - Oct 11 by franniesTache

The result and ruling seems pretty reasonable, the latching onto of it by homophobes as a signifier they're allowed to be homophobic i find pretty disgusting.

What about those outraged that a court decisions didn’t go their way? The ones that want freedom of speech and promote equal rights until it’s soemting they don’t like.

Gay cakegate on 14:54 - Oct 11 with 399 viewsDorsetIan

Gay cakegate on 14:40 - Oct 11 by franniesTache

This cake said 'support gay marriage'. Interesting to see what now happens when someone wants a cake which is simply for a gay marriage i.e. with two marzipan women holding hands on the top. Could these bakers refuse to make that one? I would hope not, but it's a pretty narrow line between supporting gay marriage per se and celebrating a particularly gay marriage.

Bigots have no sensible arguments of their own so will latch on to anything they can.
Gay cakegate on 15:10 - Oct 11 with 384 viewsBuggalugs

Gay cakegate on 14:54 - Oct 11 by DorsetIan

This cake said 'support gay marriage'. Interesting to see what now happens when someone wants a cake which is simply for a gay marriage i.e. with two marzipan women holding hands on the top. Could these bakers refuse to make that one? I would hope not, but it's a pretty narrow line between supporting gay marriage per se and celebrating a particularly gay marriage.

Bigots have no sensible arguments of their own so will latch on to anything they can.

Their shop, their cakes, they can refuse to accept any job they want. It's not about being bigoted.

Poll: Who is the most in-the-know on SFC’s transfer activity?

Gay cakegate on 15:36 - Oct 11 with 367 viewsDorsetIan

Gay cakegate on 15:10 - Oct 11 by Buggalugs

Their shop, their cakes, they can refuse to accept any job they want. It's not about being bigoted.

Thankfully the law in this country doesn't work like that any more. Hasn't done for decades.

I wasn't talking about these bakers. I was referring to FT's comment that homophobes were jumping on the bandwagon. Homophobes are bigots, obviously.
Gay cakegate on 16:16 - Oct 11 with 335 viewsBuggalugs

Gay cakegate on 15:36 - Oct 11 by DorsetIan

Thankfully the law in this country doesn't work like that any more. Hasn't done for decades.

I wasn't talking about these bakers. I was referring to FT's comment that homophobes were jumping on the bandwagon. Homophobes are bigots, obviously.

Thankfully it does, which is why the judge ruled in their favour.

Gay cakegate on 16:21 - Oct 11 with 328 viewsHeisenberg

Gay cakegate on 16:16 - Oct 11 by Buggalugs

Then you don't understand or haven't read the ruling.

You can't have a business and refuse to serve someone on the basis of race,gender, disability or sexuality.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Gay cakegate on 16:34 - Oct 11 with 316 viewsBuggalugs

Gay cakegate on 16:21 - Oct 11 by Heisenberg

Then you don't understand or haven't read the ruling.

You can't have a business and refuse to serve someone on the basis of race,gender, disability or sexuality.

I think it's you that doesn't understand. They didn't refuse to serve the bloke because he was gay, they refused to produce a cake with a particular message on it. That's why they won the case.

Gay cakegate on 16:36 - Oct 11 with 314 viewsfranniesTache

Yeah i'm personally glad that the ruling was in favour of the bakers, people should have the right to refuse their services based on their beliefs, that's just a well functioning society.
Gay cakegate on 16:40 - Oct 11 with 307 viewsthis_charming_man

Gay cakegate on 16:34 - Oct 11 by Buggalugs

I think it's you that doesn't understand. They didn't refuse to serve the bloke because he was gay, they refused to produce a cake with a particular message on it. That's why they won the case.

Quite. In people’s rush to be offended they don’t actually understand what the ruling is for

Gay cakegate on 16:53 - Oct 11 with 296 viewsDorsetIan

You said: "Their shop, their cakes, they can refuse to accept any job they want." That's not the law.
That's not what they decided in this case. Their ownership of the shop and the cakes was not really a factor. They can't refuse to accept 'any job they want'. Very few in fact.

You can read it here if you're interested: www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2017-0020.html
Gay cakegate on 17:00 - Oct 11 with 281 viewsLeslie_Hughes

Gay cakegate on 16:53 - Oct 11 by DorsetIan

You said: "Their shop, their cakes, they can refuse to accept any job they want." That's not the law.
That's not what they decided in this case. Their ownership of the shop and the cakes was not really a factor. They can't refuse to accept 'any job they want'. Very few in fact.

You can read it here if you're interested: www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2017-0020.html

was this the cake big Chris got you, yes?

Poll: Who Has The Most Impressive Lifestyle On Here?

Gay cakegate on 17:06 - Oct 11 with 276 views1885_SFC

It's quite simple really ; piss off and find a baker that will happily bake the cake for you - along with any daft message you want on it.

The only ones who have made a fortune & are laughing all the way to the bank in this matter are the solicitors & barristers.

Love life. Love music.

Gay cakegate on 17:06 - Oct 11 with 274 viewsDorsetIan

Gay cakegate on 17:00 - Oct 11 by Leslie_Hughes

was this the cake big Chris got you, yes?

It is Leslie_Hughes - and I believe he made it himself, which was very kind of him.
Gay cakegate on 18:25 - Oct 11 with 217 viewsfranniesTache

Gay cakegate on 14:53 - Oct 11 by this_charming_man

What about those outraged that a court decisions didn’t go their way? The ones that want freedom of speech and promote equal rights until it’s soemting they don’t like.

Not really sure those things are in anyway relatable, this is a private business with the right to refuse custom.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2018