Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harrison Reed pulling up trees on loan again 09:00 - Sep 18 with 750 viewsButty101

Worth a punt back here? Clearly at least championship level. Good cover for Romeu and would be a better option than Wardprowse in the defensive midfielder position.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17908965.southampton-39-s-harrison-reed-impres

Poll: First League Win of the Season

Harrison Reed pulling up trees on loan again on 09:20 - Sep 18 with 740 viewsSaintNick

Im not sure why Harrison Reed's keeps getting touted as a first team player for Saints, I have nothing against him, but in his time at Saints he did little to suggest he could be a first team regular.

JWP at 24 has played 198 Premier League games (118 starts 80 as sub) and scored 17 goals and been capped for England.

In comparison Reed who is only 3 months younger than JWP has started just 6 games for Saints plus another 11 as sub, his last Premier League appearances for us were 3 seasons ago when he played three times for a total of 62 minutes, the season before that he played once for 10 minutes as a sub.

His last meaningful spell as a first team player here came at the end of 2014/15 season 4 1/2 years ago.

He will turn 25 in January, he is well past the promising youngster stage, he has played under 6 managers, none of whom (Koeman aside for a short period) have seen him as a genuine first team contender.

At Fulham he has only got in the starting line up in the last couple of games having spent the first month of the season on the bench, so his two starts so far re hardly pulling up trees.

The centre of midfield is our strongest area, I like Harrison Reed but I think we have to accept he is not going to make it at St Mary's now, for his career to progress he really needs a permanent move and to establish himself at a club.

As I said nothing against Reed, just that the facts don't support the argument

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Harrison Reed pulling up trees on loan again on 11:31 - Sep 18 with 676 viewssaints__fan__73

Harrison Reed pulling up trees on loan again on 09:20 - Sep 18 by SaintNick

Im not sure why Harrison Reed's keeps getting touted as a first team player for Saints, I have nothing against him, but in his time at Saints he did little to suggest he could be a first team regular.

JWP at 24 has played 198 Premier League games (118 starts 80 as sub) and scored 17 goals and been capped for England.

In comparison Reed who is only 3 months younger than JWP has started just 6 games for Saints plus another 11 as sub, his last Premier League appearances for us were 3 seasons ago when he played three times for a total of 62 minutes, the season before that he played once for 10 minutes as a sub.

His last meaningful spell as a first team player here came at the end of 2014/15 season 4 1/2 years ago.

He will turn 25 in January, he is well past the promising youngster stage, he has played under 6 managers, none of whom (Koeman aside for a short period) have seen him as a genuine first team contender.

At Fulham he has only got in the starting line up in the last couple of games having spent the first month of the season on the bench, so his two starts so far re hardly pulling up trees.

The centre of midfield is our strongest area, I like Harrison Reed but I think we have to accept he is not going to make it at St Mary's now, for his career to progress he really needs a permanent move and to establish himself at a club.

You say he has done little to to suggest he is a first team player but then say he hasn't played for the first team since 2015.... He's been playing consistently well on loan but hasn't had any 1st team opportunities here so difficult to judge if he can make the step up.

"The centre of our midfield is our strongest area"? Really? I would say it is the weakest. We sold Clasie and loaned out Lemina and didn't replace either. Our starting 2 CMs are PEH and Romeu which is fine but other than we are very weak. It's been shown over 7+ seasons that the only formation JWP can play well in is a formation with 3 in CM (which we did last season but not this which is why he has gone back to being invisible every game). JPW is not up to playing in a 2 man CM. Other than him who is there? Slattery had some game time last season but hasn't had a sniff this season and who else is there? Jack Stephens? If we are thinking of playing an out of position, poor, CB then it shows that CM is anything but our strongest position.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Harrison Reed pulling up trees on loan again on 12:25 - Sep 18 with 637 viewsSaintNick

Harrison Reed pulling up trees on loan again on 11:31 - Sep 18 by saints__fan__73

You say he has done little to to suggest he is a first team player but then say he hasn't played for the first team since 2015.... He's been playing consistently well on loan but hasn't had any 1st team opportunities here so difficult to judge if he can make the step up.

"The centre of our midfield is our strongest area"? Really? I would say it is the weakest. We sold Clasie and loaned out Lemina and didn't replace either. Our starting 2 CMs are PEH and Romeu which is fine but other than we are very weak. It's been shown over 7+ seasons that the only formation JWP can play well in is a formation with 3 in CM (which we did last season but not this which is why he has gone back to being invisible every game). JPW is not up to playing in a 2 man CM. Other than him who is there? Slattery had some game time last season but hasn't had a sniff this season and who else is there? Jack Stephens? If we are thinking of playing an out of position, poor, CB then it shows that CM is anything but our strongest position.

I actually said he hasnt had any meaningful action since 2015 in the Premier League, but he spent 2015/16 & 2016/17 at the club and played some cup game and the odd premier League game, so in those two seasons both Koeman and Puel felt he wasnt good enough for the team.

Since then although he has the last three seasons playing in pre season including this one, Pellegrino, Hughes and Hasenhuttl have felt that he wasn't part of their plans, so plenty of opportunies to stake a place and he couldnt get in the starting line up at Fulham initially.

Yes Really the CM is our strongest area, PEH Romeu, JWP, Armstrong & Slattery can all play there and Kevin Danso has played as a holding midfielder in Germany so we have six options for essentially 2 or 3 positions, so we are well served here, would Reed be preferred to any of these six ?

The answer is no because the manager sent him out on loan.

Once again you fail to look at the facts when trying to rubbish my opinion on a subject, this is getting too easy im thinking of sending you ou on loan and letting one of the younger posters have a go at being the central wind up merchant.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Harrison Reed pulling up trees on loan again on 12:31 - Sep 18 with 629 viewssaints__fan__73

Harrison Reed pulling up trees on loan again on 12:25 - Sep 18 by SaintNick

I actually said he hasnt had any meaningful action since 2015 in the Premier League, but he spent 2015/16 & 2016/17 at the club and played some cup game and the odd premier League game, so in those two seasons both Koeman and Puel felt he wasnt good enough for the team.

Since then although he has the last three seasons playing in pre season including this one, Pellegrino, Hughes and Hasenhuttl have felt that he wasn't part of their plans, so plenty of opportunies to stake a place and he couldnt get in the starting line up at Fulham initially.

Yes Really the CM is our strongest area, PEH Romeu, JWP, Armstrong & Slattery can all play there and Kevin Danso has played as a holding midfielder in Germany so we have six options for essentially 2 or 3 positions, so we are well served here, would Reed be preferred to any of these six ?

Once again you fail to look at the facts when trying to rubbish my opinion on a subject, this is getting too easy im thinking of sending you ou on loan and letting one of the younger posters have a go at being the central wind up merchant.

I think you're confusing your opinions with facts Nick. Having players 'who can play there' doesn't make for our strongest area to be blunt. Danso isn't a CM player, Armstrong isn't a CM player and Slattery doesn't appear to yet be of PL level.

And it's been proven time and time again that JWP is barely average in any formation where he has to play as one of 2 man CM.

If Romeu or PEH get injured this season it will make things very difficult for us.

Harrison Reed pulling up trees on loan again on 18:52 - Sep 18 with 503 viewsButty101

Harrison Reed pulling up trees on loan again on 09:20 - Sep 18 by SaintNick

I will be honest, I was slightly fishing with this one :-)

However read the greatest player thread and people are talking about how lettisier never got a fair crack at England due to manger bias.

Reed had a mom game against Everton, and in the press conference Komen got stuck into reed saying he wasn’t good enough. Since then he’s been passed round like a rag doll on loan.
Who’s to say given chances like Classie or even hojberg , playing and learning with decent players how he would have progressed.
Fair play to him as he has forced his way into the Fulham team who where promotion favourites.

Poll: First League Win of the Season

Harrison Reed pulling up trees on loan again on 19:16 - Sep 18 with 494 viewskernow

Harrison Reed pulling up trees on loan again on 18:52 - Sep 18 by Butty101

I will be honest, I was slightly fishing with this one :-)

However read the greatest player thread and people are talking about how lettisier never got a fair crack at England due to manger bias.

Reed had a mom game against Everton, and in the press conference Komen got stuck into reed saying he wasn’t good enough. Since then he’s been passed round like a rag doll on loan.
Who’s to say given chances like Classie or even hojberg , playing and learning with decent players how he would have progressed.
Fair play to him as he has forced his way into the Fulham team who where promotion favourites.

Remember that Everton game when he played very well in an injury depleted, low on confidence Saints side that most expected to lose on the day.
He hasn' t been given many opportunities, for various reasons but has always done well at the clubs he's been loaned out to. Is he better than what we have? Obviously not.
Harrison Reed pulling up trees on loan again on 11:20 - Sep 26 with 209 viewssaints__fan__73

Harrison Reed pulling up trees on loan again on 12:25 - Sep 18 by SaintNick

Do you have a TSW account Nick? You need to put this lot right with some Illingsworth 'facts'!

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?61319-Central-Midfield-Depth#.XYyQIoh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2019