Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hampshire's greatest footballers 14:53 - Dec 20 with 22883 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Updated full list. Some very good players here. Of course Portsmouth gets the lions' share, but Southampton is a good second. I imagine that there is little dispute in this list, if we are basing it on facts and not bias.

1- 10 Top Draw
Portsmouth : Von Donop : Hampshire’s first ever superstar
Soton : Ted Drake : Good scoring rate, right time, right place
Portsmouth : Reg Flewin : One of only 6 captains to win post war back to back championships
Portsmouth : Peter Harris : Probably the highest ever scoring winger in England. Champion
Alton: Jimmy Dickinson : Mr consistency for club and country. Champion
Aldershot: Johnny Berry : In terms of trophies, tops the list. Champion
Portsmouth : Ray Crawford : Scored the goals to give Ipswich the Championship
Farnham : Peter Storey : Probably Hampshire’s hardest footballer, champion and serial winner
Greater Portsmouth : Bobby Tambling : In Chelsea’s greatest ever team. Impressive scoring rate
Portsmouth : Alex Chamberlain : Only player to win Europe’s highest accolade

10 — 20 : Excellent Players
New Alresford : Sir Christopher Rawlinson
Botley : Don Roper
Soton : Tom Parker
Greater Portsmouth : George Lilycrop
Portsmouth : Johnny Gordon
Winchester : Terry Paine
Soton : Martin Chivers
Portsmouth : Steve Foster
Soton : Darren Anderton
Winchester : Wayne Bridge

20 — 30 : Very good players
New Forest : Frank Jefferis
Soton : Peter Sillett
Aldershot : Bruce Rioch
Soton : Nick Holmes
New Forest : Kevin Reeves
Soton : Graham Roberts
Bournemouth : Paul Rideout
Greater Portsmouth : Kevin Pressman
New Forest : Jamie Redknapp
Basingstoke : Tom Cleverley

30 — 40 : Solid players
Farnborough : John Mortimore
Portsmouth : Phil Gunter
Portsmouth : Malcolm Waldron
Portsmouth : Bobby Stokes
Soton : Francis Benali
Romsey : Nigel Spackman
Portsmouth : Daryl Powell
Portsmouth Joel Ward
Portsmouth : James Ward Prowse
Portsmouth : Mason Mount

40 — 50 : Dependable players
Greater Portsmouth : Albert Mundy
Soton : John Sillett
Hartley Wintney : Archie turner
Portsmouth : David Jones
Winchester : Steve Guppy
Portsmouth : Steve Claridge
Basingstoke : Kit Symons
New Forest : Sam Vokes
Greater Portsmouth : Matt Ritchie
Petersfield : Calum Chambers

Final Tally :
Ports 21
Soton 9
NF 4, Winch 3, Aldershot 2, Basingstoke 2
Alton, Farnham, Botley, New Alresford, Farnborough, Bournemouth, Romsey, Petersfield, Hartley Wintney

[Post edited 20 Dec 2019 15:48]

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:53 - Dec 20 with 7570 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Honourable mentions :

Aldershot : Ernest Spiteri Gonzi
Aldershot : Brian Walsh
Aldershot : Davie Weir
Aldershot : Alex Cropley
Andover : Bill Rawlings
Andover : Thelwell Pike
Netley : Danny Ings
Portsmouth : Mike Barnard
Portsmouth : Ron newman
Portsmouth : Steve Mills
Portsmouth : Paul Kerr
Soton : Terry Simpson

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:03 - Dec 20 with 7561 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Top Flight Appearances

511 Jimmy Dickinson : Alton
468 Peter Harris : Portsmouth
420 Ray Crawford : Portsmouth
340 Bobby Tambling : Greater Portsmouth
320 Terry Paine : Winchester
319 Darren Anderton : Soton
318: Martin Chivers : Soton
315 Wayne Bridge : Winchester
305 Johnny Gordon : Portsmouth
301 Jamie_Redknapp : New Forest
300 Steve Foster : Portsmouth
300 Francis Benali : Soton
300 : Kevin Pressman : Greater Portsmouth

For all of you who think the above list is biased, here is the final proof that Portsmouth produces more top notch footballers. Half the list above are from the Portsmouth area. No spin, no distortion, just pure facts.

Who'd have thought that a guy called sicknote would garner more top flight appearances than any other footballer from Southampton
[Post edited 20 Dec 2019 15:17]

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:46 - Dec 20 with 7525 viewsfranniesTache

Give it a break you gap toothed freak
Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:49 - Dec 20 with 7511 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:46 - Dec 20 by franniesTache

Give it a break you gap toothed freak

You lot have been telling me for ages that Soton produces better footballers. I am just trying to show you that the facts strongly point to the blue sector of Hampshire. There is no point getting upset about it.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:53 - Dec 20 with 7506 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

200 and above Appearances

297 Don Roper : Botley
285 Johnny_Berry : Aldershot .
258 Tom Parker : Soton
250 Nigel Spackman : Romsey
250 Graham_Roberts : Soton
249 Kevin_Reeves : New Forest
240 Paul_Rideout : born_in_Bournemouth
220 John Mortimore : Farnborough
204 Frank Jefferis : New Forest
200 Tom_Cleverley : Basingstoke
200 Darryl_Powell : Portsmouth
200 James_Ward-Prowse : Portsmouth
200 Joel Ward, footballer: Greater Portsmouth

My suggestion is that the next footballers to make 300 appearances will Prowse, Ward and Chamberlain, and possibly Cleverley. More Portsmouth lads near the top of the tree.

You have to admit, it's hard to argue with these stats.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 17:14 - Dec 20 with 7472 viewsSaintal7

Peter storey Hampshire's hardest player. How does that work if Farnham is in Surrey?
Hampshire's greatest footballers on 17:19 - Dec 20 with 7470 viewsTripleNiemi

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:49 - Dec 20 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

You lot have been telling me for ages that Soton produces better footballers. I am just trying to show you that the facts strongly point to the blue sector of Hampshire. There is no point getting upset about it.

And yet you still play in a shed in the 3rd Division.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 19:23 - Dec 20 with 7395 viewsButty101

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:03 - Dec 20 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Top Flight Appearances

511 Jimmy Dickinson : Alton
468 Peter Harris : Portsmouth
420 Ray Crawford : Portsmouth
340 Bobby Tambling : Greater Portsmouth
320 Terry Paine : Winchester
319 Darren Anderton : Soton
318: Martin Chivers : Soton
315 Wayne Bridge : Winchester
305 Johnny Gordon : Portsmouth
301 Jamie_Redknapp : New Forest
300 Steve Foster : Portsmouth
300 Francis Benali : Soton
300 : Kevin Pressman : Greater Portsmouth

For all of you who think the above list is biased, here is the final proof that Portsmouth produces more top notch footballers. Half the list above are from the Portsmouth area. No spin, no distortion, just pure facts.

Who'd have thought that a guy called sicknote would garner more top flight appearances than any other footballer from Southampton
[Post edited 20 Dec 2019 15:17]

Who would of thought Portsmouth covers an area from the south coast to London .

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Login to get fewer ads

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 21:38 - Dec 20 with 7353 viewsPatfromPoole

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:53 - Dec 20 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

200 and above Appearances

297 Don Roper : Botley
285 Johnny_Berry : Aldershot .
258 Tom Parker : Soton
250 Nigel Spackman : Romsey
250 Graham_Roberts : Soton
249 Kevin_Reeves : New Forest
240 Paul_Rideout : born_in_Bournemouth
220 John Mortimore : Farnborough
204 Frank Jefferis : New Forest
200 Tom_Cleverley : Basingstoke
200 Darryl_Powell : Portsmouth
200 James_Ward-Prowse : Portsmouth
200 Joel Ward, footballer: Greater Portsmouth

My suggestion is that the next footballers to make 300 appearances will Prowse, Ward and Chamberlain, and possibly Cleverley. More Portsmouth lads near the top of the tree.

You have to admit, it's hard to argue with these stats.

You should meet Fitzhugh Fella from one of our other message boards. You would both be the life and soul at the pub.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 08:56 - Dec 21 with 7267 viewsIngskneeslide

Genuine question: how small is your penis?
Hampshire's greatest footballers on 11:28 - Dec 21 with 7235 viewsTripleNiemi

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 08:56 - Dec 21 by Ingskneeslide

Genuine question: how small is your penis?

I see another Portsmyth coming.....

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 11:35 - Dec 21 with 7232 viewsIngskneeslide

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 11:28 - Dec 21 by TripleNiemi

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:30 - Dec 21 with 7185 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 17:14 - Dec 20 by Saintal7

Peter storey Hampshire's hardest player. How does that work if Farnham is in Surrey?

Farnham's like a little button sticking out into Hampshire, if you travel on the eastern side of Hampshire, you literally travel through this little button which should be in Hampshire. Several Hampshire institutions and organisations are based in Farnham, so we may as well keep it in.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:31 - Dec 21 with 7182 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 11:28 - Dec 21 by TripleNiemi

That’s the whole point of this thread, it’s all about facts, it doesn’t matter what you did or didn’t win, where you got your training, how big the club was, it’s about how good the player is/ was, and the facts are that for the players with the top 5 appearances we have the following places:

3 Portsmouth
1 Alton
1 Winchester

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:36 - Dec 21 with 7179 viewsIngskneeslide

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:31 - Dec 21 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

That’s the whole point of this thread, it’s all about facts, it doesn’t matter what you did or didn’t win, where you got your training, how big the club was, it’s about how good the player is/ was, and the facts are that for the players with the top 5 appearances we have the following places:

3 Portsmouth
1 Alton
1 Winchester

Fine, but just how tiny is your shrivelled pecker? Are we talking AAA battery sized?
Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:39 - Dec 21 with 7172 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 19:23 - Dec 20 by Butty101

Who would of thought Portsmouth covers an area from the south coast to London .

Is Bridge from Southampton or Winchester?

Are you just going on about this because you think Bridge is in the wrong category?

I can include Surman in my appearance list, when he gets to 200 appearances (if he gets there)
[Post edited 21 Dec 2019 15:45]

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:42 - Dec 21 with 7171 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:36 - Dec 21 by Ingskneeslide

Fine, but just how tiny is your shrivelled pecker? Are we talking AAA battery sized?

All this abuse, and all I have done is list some player statistics.

My suggestion is to stop going on about todgers, and give me some great players from your town, or I will have to assume that I am correct in my assertions.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:47 - Dec 21 with 7168 viewsTripleNiemi

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:42 - Dec 21 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

My suggestion is to stop going on about todgers, and give me some great players from your town, or I will have to assume that I am correct in my assertions.

Not at the old girl today pal?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:53 - Dec 21 with 7156 viewsIngskneeslide

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:42 - Dec 21 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

I’m just trying to figure out why you choose to spend your life doing this and that’s the best I could come up with. There’s not really any other logical reason.
Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:54 - Dec 21 with 7151 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:47 - Dec 21 by TripleNiemi

Not at the old girl today pal?

Difficult for me to make it today, but as you wanted a Portsmyth earlier, I can meet you halfway.

I am advised that there was a question on the quiz gam Pointless this week, which contained the following question.

Name an English league football club by using the starting letter from the following word. . . 'p_l_a_y_e_r_s'

One southern league club had a score of 47, and another had a score of 27. Can you possibly guess which club had which score?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:57 - Dec 21 with 7145 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:53 - Dec 21 by Ingskneeslide

I’m just trying to figure out why you choose to spend your life doing this and that’s the best I could come up with. There’s not really any other logical reason.

https://www.lovepanky.com/women/understanding-men/why-are-men-so-obsessed-with-t

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:15 - Dec 21 with 7126 viewsthis_charming_man

It’s full of utter bollocks and nonsense interpretations.

I can’t be arsed to go through it all but picking on a couple names that were obvious, you claim Darryl Powell is a Portsmouth boy, but he was born in London. You claim Steve foster is an excellent player, yet Graham Roberts is only very good, yet Roberts played for better teams, won more and played more times for England. I’m sure if I had the time or inclination to look into it further there would be more bullsh1t.

You’ve also missed quite a few players off, three off the top of my head who would at least be consider solid players, Wade Elliot, Brian Howard and Loukas Jutkowitz all have played over 300 times in the championship or higher but don’t even make any of your lists,

So whilst your commitment to the cause for your city is to be admired I’m afraid you’ve wasted all week compiling a list spread across multiple threads which is completely inaccurate I’m afraid.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:29 - Dec 21 with 7110 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:15 - Dec 21 by this_charming_man

It’s full of utter bollocks and nonsense interpretations.

I can’t be arsed to go through it all but picking on a couple names that were obvious, you claim Darryl Powell is a Portsmouth boy, but he was born in London. You claim Steve foster is an excellent player, yet Graham Roberts is only very good, yet Roberts played for better teams, won more and played more times for England. I’m sure if I had the time or inclination to look into it further there would be more bullsh1t.

You’ve also missed quite a few players off, three off the top of my head who would at least be consider solid players, Wade Elliot, Brian Howard and Loukas Jutkowitz all have played over 300 times in the championship or higher but don’t even make any of your lists,

So whilst your commitment to the cause for your city is to be admired I’m afraid you’ve wasted all week compiling a list spread across multiple threads which is completely inaccurate I’m afraid.

Finally, a half decent reply. I kind of agree with you on Roberts and will re-consider. Foster had more top flight appearances, and was a leader/ regular for both teams high point of their whole history, but agree that Roberts was an impressive player.

However, how can you seriously think that Elliott (38 PL apps), and Jutkiewicz (28) get into a top 50 list? That is laughable.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:41 - Dec 21 with 7103 viewsthis_charming_man

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:29 - Dec 21 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Finally, a half decent reply. I kind of agree with you on Roberts and will re-consider. Foster had more top flight appearances, and was a leader/ regular for both teams high point of their whole history, but agree that Roberts was an impressive player.

However, how can you seriously think that Elliott (38 PL apps), and Jutkiewicz (28) get into a top 50 list? That is laughable.

You’ve got players in there who never even made a top flight appearance, so yes.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:52 - Dec 21 with 7091 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:41 - Dec 21 by this_charming_man

You’ve got players in there who never even made a top flight appearance, so yes.

I've got two players who played when there wasn't a top flight, but went to 2 or 3 cup finals, and another who stayed in the southern league for a while, but still went to 2 cup finals, before moving into the top league.

Pretty consistent stuff, maybe Surman should have made the list, however, he never played for big clubs himself, unlike say Kit Symons.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024