Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hampshire's greatest footballers 14:53 - Dec 20 with 22758 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Updated full list. Some very good players here. Of course Portsmouth gets the lions' share, but Southampton is a good second. I imagine that there is little dispute in this list, if we are basing it on facts and not bias.

1- 10 Top Draw
Portsmouth : Von Donop : Hampshire’s first ever superstar
Soton : Ted Drake : Good scoring rate, right time, right place
Portsmouth : Reg Flewin : One of only 6 captains to win post war back to back championships
Portsmouth : Peter Harris : Probably the highest ever scoring winger in England. Champion
Alton: Jimmy Dickinson : Mr consistency for club and country. Champion
Aldershot: Johnny Berry : In terms of trophies, tops the list. Champion
Portsmouth : Ray Crawford : Scored the goals to give Ipswich the Championship
Farnham : Peter Storey : Probably Hampshire’s hardest footballer, champion and serial winner
Greater Portsmouth : Bobby Tambling : In Chelsea’s greatest ever team. Impressive scoring rate
Portsmouth : Alex Chamberlain : Only player to win Europe’s highest accolade

10 — 20 : Excellent Players
New Alresford : Sir Christopher Rawlinson
Botley : Don Roper
Soton : Tom Parker
Greater Portsmouth : George Lilycrop
Portsmouth : Johnny Gordon
Winchester : Terry Paine
Soton : Martin Chivers
Portsmouth : Steve Foster
Soton : Darren Anderton
Winchester : Wayne Bridge

20 — 30 : Very good players
New Forest : Frank Jefferis
Soton : Peter Sillett
Aldershot : Bruce Rioch
Soton : Nick Holmes
New Forest : Kevin Reeves
Soton : Graham Roberts
Bournemouth : Paul Rideout
Greater Portsmouth : Kevin Pressman
New Forest : Jamie Redknapp
Basingstoke : Tom Cleverley

30 — 40 : Solid players
Farnborough : John Mortimore
Portsmouth : Phil Gunter
Portsmouth : Malcolm Waldron
Portsmouth : Bobby Stokes
Soton : Francis Benali
Romsey : Nigel Spackman
Portsmouth : Daryl Powell
Portsmouth Joel Ward
Portsmouth : James Ward Prowse
Portsmouth : Mason Mount

40 — 50 : Dependable players
Greater Portsmouth : Albert Mundy
Soton : John Sillett
Hartley Wintney : Archie turner
Portsmouth : David Jones
Winchester : Steve Guppy
Portsmouth : Steve Claridge
Basingstoke : Kit Symons
New Forest : Sam Vokes
Greater Portsmouth : Matt Ritchie
Petersfield : Calum Chambers

Final Tally :
Ports 21
Soton 9
NF 4, Winch 3, Aldershot 2, Basingstoke 2
Alton, Farnham, Botley, New Alresford, Farnborough, Bournemouth, Romsey, Petersfield, Hartley Wintney

[Post edited 20 Dec 2019 15:48]

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 17:27 - Dec 21 with 2269 viewsButty101

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:52 - Dec 21 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

I've got two players who played when there wasn't a top flight, but went to 2 or 3 cup finals, and another who stayed in the southern league for a while, but still went to 2 cup finals, before moving into the top league.

Pretty consistent stuff, maybe Surman should have made the list, however, he never played for big clubs himself, unlike say Kit Symons.

Remind me which top club Kit played for 😂😂

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 17:59 - Dec 21 with 2249 viewsIngskneeslide

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 17:27 - Dec 21 by Butty101

Remind me which top club Kit played for 😂😂

Come on Butty, Symons is a Premier League legend having play for Man City and Crystal Palace in the seasons they got relegated
Hampshire's greatest footballers on 19:03 - Dec 21 with 2220 viewsthis_charming_man

Ifs amusing to see that “greater Portsmouth” area covers everything from fareham down to Sussex, a distance of a nearly 50 miles. Storrington is apparently Greater Portsmouth despite being 34 miles away! Yet amusingly anyone from botley, Romsey, Winchester, Bournemouth, the new forest or even Basingstoke is not part of the “greater Southampton” area despite being closer to Southampton than storrington is to Portsmouth.

Another Southampton born player missing who would be on the one of the lists is Graham baker, over 200 top flight appearances for saints and Man City and a regular in our keegan era team.

Alex oxlaide chamberlain makes the “top draw” list because he’s the only player to have won Europe’s top competition, he played for Liverpool twice last season. Terry Paine who was part of England’s World Cup winning squad doesn’t make the top draw list though, incredible stuff.

So without even having to think too long about it I’ve found 4 Southampton born players who been missed off, one who was claimed to be from Portsmouth who is actually from London another is from Sussex and this new region of “greater Portsmouth” spans from 12 miles east to 34 miles west of it. What a laughable list this is. I’m sure if anyone can be bothered there are plenty more “facts” which are in fact not at all the case.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2019 19:36]

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:17 - Dec 22 with 2165 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 19:03 - Dec 21 by this_charming_man

Ifs amusing to see that “greater Portsmouth” area covers everything from fareham down to Sussex, a distance of a nearly 50 miles. Storrington is apparently Greater Portsmouth despite being 34 miles away! Yet amusingly anyone from botley, Romsey, Winchester, Bournemouth, the new forest or even Basingstoke is not part of the “greater Southampton” area despite being closer to Southampton than storrington is to Portsmouth.

Another Southampton born player missing who would be on the one of the lists is Graham baker, over 200 top flight appearances for saints and Man City and a regular in our keegan era team.

Alex oxlaide chamberlain makes the “top draw” list because he’s the only player to have won Europe’s top competition, he played for Liverpool twice last season. Terry Paine who was part of England’s World Cup winning squad doesn’t make the top draw list though, incredible stuff.

So without even having to think too long about it I’ve found 4 Southampton born players who been missed off, one who was claimed to be from Portsmouth who is actually from London another is from Sussex and this new region of “greater Portsmouth” spans from 12 miles east to 34 miles west of it. What a laughable list this is. I’m sure if anyone can be bothered there are plenty more “facts” which are in fact not at all the case.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2019 19:36]

This is funny, so you have come up with 4 new players then? Well, the first 2 were both players with less than 30 TFA’s, and Roberts was already listed. I had Baker down at 130 appearances, but actually he did have around 160 appearances, so fair enough, not a bad player. Still not as good as Malcolm Waldron who had so many injuries, thereby lessening his number of appearances to around 140. Maybe I’ll put him in ahead of Symons.

Tambling was raised in Havant ie the Portsmouth Urban area as detailed on the Mason Mount thread, we have been here before.
https://db0nus869y26v.cloudfront.net/en/Warblington_School

And now Oxlade Chamberlain has won the World Club cup. He really is in a class of his own. He was an integral part of a team that made it to 2 consecutive Champions League Finals, there is no one from Hampshire to match these achievements. Terry Paine of course was a good player, and made 320 top flight appearances, but was only a bit part player in England’s world cup squad.

And now you are saying Winchester is part of the Greater Soton conurbation, That is ridiculous, and rather desperate. I am certainly not including Chichester as part of the Portsmouth conurbation, or even the South Downs National park, yet you want to include the New Forest. Laughable, absolutely laughable. What a shame Winchester is separate from Soton as they have had 3 good footballers from that town.

For your information the Portsmouth urban area includes
Portsmouth, Havant, Fareham, Gosport, Lee-on-Solent, Waterloovile and Subbington

And the Soton Urban area includes :
Soton, Bishopstoke, Eastleigh : so Matt Targett could be included in the top 50 if he improves enough.

Unfortunately, Romsey and Botley are not connected to the Soton urban sprawl, which is a shame because 2 very good players came from those towns.

Why can't you just accept that Portsmouth produces the better footballers. the facts speak for themselves.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2019 13:23]

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:09 - Dec 22 with 2147 viewsGasGiant

oops my error - Mike Channon was born in Wiltshire.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2019 13:11]
Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:10 - Dec 22 with 2146 viewsPatfromPoole

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:17 - Dec 22 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

This is funny, so you have come up with 4 new players then? Well, the first 2 were both players with less than 30 TFA’s, and Roberts was already listed. I had Baker down at 130 appearances, but actually he did have around 160 appearances, so fair enough, not a bad player. Still not as good as Malcolm Waldron who had so many injuries, thereby lessening his number of appearances to around 140. Maybe I’ll put him in ahead of Symons.

Tambling was raised in Havant ie the Portsmouth Urban area as detailed on the Mason Mount thread, we have been here before.

And now Oxlade Chamberlain has won the World Club cup. He really is in a class of his own. He was an integral part of a team that made it to 2 consecutive Champions League Finals, there is no one from Hampshire to match these achievements. Terry Paine of course was a good player, and made 320 top flight appearances, but was only a bit part player in England’s world cup squad.

And now you are saying Winchester is part of the Greater Soton conurbation, That is ridiculous, and rather desperate. I am certainly not including Chichester as part of the Portsmouth conurbation, or even the South Downs National park, yet you want to include the New Forest. Laughable, absolutely laughable. What a shame Winchester is separate from Soton as they have had 3 good footballers from that town.

Portsmouth, Havant, Fareham, Gosport, Lee-on-Solent, Waterloovile and Subbington

Soton, Bishopstoke, Eastleigh : so Matt Targett could be included in the top 50 if he improves enough.

Unfortunately, Romsey and Botley are not connected to the Soton urban sprawl, which is a shame because 2 very good players came from those towns.

Why can't you just accept that Portsmouth produces the better footballers. the facts speak for themselves.

It’s a bit like saying the best quality holiday park homes in this country are made in Hull (which is a fact).

Hull remains a shithole.

Try as you might, Monsieur Cent Trente, you cannot polish a turd.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:17 - Dec 22 with 2137 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:10 - Dec 22 by PatfromPoole

It’s a bit like saying the best quality holiday park homes in this country are made in Hull (which is a fact).

Hull remains a shithole.

Try as you might, Monsieur Cent Trente, you cannot polish a turd.

Why is it that the Southampton area has never had a footballer with over 400 top flight appearances?

Also, why is it that the Portsmouth area has twice as many footballers with over 300 top flight appearances compared to Soton's. Why is it?

Serious questions
[Post edited 22 Dec 2019 13:18]

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:50 - Dec 22 with 2128 viewsthis_charming_man

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:17 - Dec 22 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

I’m sorry that In less than 5 minutes I managed to blow apart your list. I’m sure if I could be bothered to spend any more time on it then I’m sure other lies, missed players and bizarre claims that players from London and towns over 30 miles away are from Portsmouth but as it’s the season of good Will I won’t embarrass you or stamp on your dreams any further. Have a great Christmas pal.

Login to get fewer ads

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:54 - Dec 22 with 2126 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:50 - Dec 22 by this_charming_man

I’m sorry that In less than 5 minutes I managed to blow apart your list. I’m sure if I could be bothered to spend any more time on it then I’m sure other lies, missed players and bizarre claims that players from London and towns over 30 miles away are from Portsmouth but as it’s the season of good Will I won’t embarrass you or stamp on your dreams any further. Have a great Christmas pal.

Well done, with your extensive knowledge, you have come up with one player who has just managed to sneak into the top 50.

What a shame baker never made it to 200 appearances, then he might have made it to the top 40.

Have you got any more lads with 20 or 30 appearances that I can laugh at?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:52 - Dec 22 with 2083 viewsthis_charming_man

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:54 - Dec 22 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Well done, with your extensive knowledge, you have come up with one player who has just managed to sneak into the top 50.

What a shame baker never made it to 200 appearances, then he might have made it to the top 40.

Have you got any more lads with 20 or 30 appearances that I can laugh at?

I’d say a player with just one professional appearance At any level is a greater Hampshire player than someone who isn’t from Hampshire wouldnt you?

On that note Got any more players from London and other counties you want to claim are from Portsmouth we can laugh at?
[Post edited 22 Dec 2019 16:59]

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 11:13 - Dec 23 with 1967 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 16:52 - Dec 22 by this_charming_man

I’d say a player with just one professional appearance At any level is a greater Hampshire player than someone who isn’t from Hampshire wouldnt you?

On that note Got any more players from London and other counties you want to claim are from Portsmouth we can laugh at?
[Post edited 22 Dec 2019 16:59]

You seem to be struggling with some basics here. Just for you so you understand, here is a summary of some of the players that can’t easily be pigeon-holed. I’m sure you realise that being raised in a place has more credence than being born somewhere.
Bobby Tambling raised in Havant (greater Portsmouth)
Steve Claridge raised in Fareham, but born in Portsmouth
Andrew Surman, raised in Soton, but born in South Africa
Donny Ings, raised in Netley (not the Southampton Urban area), but born in Soton
Daryl Powell, raised in portmouth, yes , that’s right Portsmouth
Wayne Bridge, raised in Winchester, but born in Soton.

If you like, I can remove Storey, and I will try to think of someone suitable to put in there. My first thoughts are johnny Gordon. Of course, you won’t understand why Johnny should get the nod. Maybe, even Chivers or Parker.

What a shame that Shearer was slagging off Eastleigh’s finest player Matt Targett this weekend. He certainly needs to improve to get anywhere near the top 60 or 70.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 11:23 - Dec 23 with 1960 viewsTripleNiemi

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 11:13 - Dec 23 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

You seem to be struggling with some basics here. Just for you so you understand, here is a summary of some of the players that can’t easily be pigeon-holed. I’m sure you realise that being raised in a place has more credence than being born somewhere.
Donny Ings, raised in Netley (not the Southampton Urban area), but born in Soton

If you like, I can remove Storey, and I will try to think of someone suitable to put in there. My first thoughts are johnny Gordon. Of course, you won’t understand why Johnny should get the nod. Maybe, even Chivers or Parker.

What a shame that Shearer was slagging off Eastleigh’s finest player Matt Targett this weekend. He certainly needs to improve to get anywhere near the top 60 or 70.

Zzzzzz.....boring shite aside, Happy Xmas 130 to you and the family.

Now for 2020, will you be partaking in the annual Pompey pub singalong again this year with Westwood and the plebs...how did it go, 'Pompey going up and the Scum are going down?'

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 11:56 - Dec 23 with 1934 viewsButty101

I think its really important to clarify born and raised. At what age must the move making raised a bigger influence?

Take Darrly Powell, born in London (or urban Portsmouth as 130 calls it). However was raised in the massive Jamaican community in Portsmouth and having the biggest influence.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:02 - Dec 23 with 1932 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 11:56 - Dec 23 by Butty101

I think its really important to clarify born and raised. At what age must the move making raised a bigger influence?

Take Darrly Powell, born in London (or urban Portsmouth as 130 calls it). However was raised in the massive Jamaican community in Portsmouth and having the biggest influence.

It seems to be important on these pages, as several of you lot can't get your head around Tambling being from Havant. I wonder if it's because he was such a good player.

I bet you wish Netley was part of the Southampton Urban area

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:04 - Dec 23 with 1928 viewsIngskneeslide

I was gutted when Shearer ‘slagged off’ Targett (he didn’t), a player we sold in the summer for way over his actual value, it was absolutely devastating for all the Southampton fans I know who are obsessed with where players are born and raised. Another win for Pompey in the mongboard oneupmanship stakes. This stuff is so much more important than what league you’re playing in, for example.
Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:07 - Dec 23 with 1924 viewsTripleNiemi

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:02 - Dec 23 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

It seems to be important on these pages, as several of you lot can't get your head around Tambling being from Havant. I wonder if it's because he was such a good player.

Ok, whilst Saints are somewhat renowned for selling quality players, has there ever been a player who departed Pompey in your lifetime and commanded any sort of English (or world record) fee for that matter? Have you ever had that level of quality?
[Post edited 23 Dec 2019 12:10]

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:19 - Dec 23 with 1912 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:07 - Dec 23 by TripleNiemi

Ok, whilst Saints are somewhat renowned for selling quality players, has there ever been a player who departed Pompey in your lifetime and commanded any sort of English (or world record) fee for that matter? Have you ever had that level of quality?
[Post edited 23 Dec 2019 12:10]

it's not related to this thread, but we sold a player for 22million at the back end of 2008 to Real Madrid.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:26 - Dec 23 with 1907 viewsButty101

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:02 - Dec 23 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

So please feel free to clarify.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:23 - Dec 24 with 1807 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's top current players at present by top flight appearances

211 : Portsmouth : Ward Prowse
201 : Basingstoke : Tom Cleverley
183 : Portsmouth : Joel Ward
175 : Portsmouth : Oxlade Chamberlain
150 : Petersfield : Calum Chambers
144 : Soton (but born in S Africa) : Andrew Surman
125 : Greater Portsmouth : Matt Ritchie
80 : Netley : Donny Ings
51 : Greater Soton : Matt Targett
50 : Portsmouth Mason Mount
19 : Soton : Sam McQueen

It looks like Portsmouth is leading the way on this front as well despite the team being well down. Soton just pip Basingstoke to second place on appearances (if we include Surman, who was born in Africa).

Of course, this year will probably be Surman's last due to his advancing years, so next year you might just have Targett (from Greater Soton) and McQueen on this list. However, It looks like McQueen may have already played his last top flight game.

[Post edited 24 Dec 2019 12:32]

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 18:41 - Dec 24 with 1764 viewsTripleNiemi

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:19 - Dec 23 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

it's not related to this thread, but we sold a player for 22million at the back end of 2008 to Real Madrid.

So the answer is a simple no then?

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 13:46 - Dec 26 with 1693 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 18:41 - Dec 24 by TripleNiemi

So the answer is a simple no then?

I wouldn't know what the world records were, and I don't understand why they would be important. Newcastle fans still go on about paying the world record fee for a player in the late nineties, and I find that slightly strange. But here you are, trying to claim some kind of record for selling a player, and I bet it was only for a 'defender' How extremely strange.

What you need to ask yourself is how your club could possibly keep some of these players.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:36 - Dec 26 with 1682 viewsButty101

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 12:23 - Dec 24 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's top current players at present by top flight appearances

211 : Portsmouth : Ward Prowse
201 : Basingstoke : Tom Cleverley
183 : Portsmouth : Joel Ward
175 : Portsmouth : Oxlade Chamberlain
150 : Petersfield : Calum Chambers
144 : Soton (but born in S Africa) : Andrew Surman
125 : Greater Portsmouth : Matt Ritchie
80 : Netley : Donny Ings
51 : Greater Soton : Matt Targett
50 : Portsmouth Mason Mount
19 : Soton : Sam McQueen

It looks like Portsmouth is leading the way on this front as well despite the team being well down. Soton just pip Basingstoke to second place on appearances (if we include Surman, who was born in Africa).

Of course, this year will probably be Surman's last due to his advancing years, so next year you might just have Targett (from Greater Soton) and McQueen on this list. However, It looks like McQueen may have already played his last top flight game.

[Post edited 24 Dec 2019 12:32]

Mason Mount 50 top flight appearances I call BS.

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:51 - Dec 26 with 1674 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:36 - Dec 26 by Butty101

Mason Mount 50 top flight appearances I call BS.

After today it will be very close to that number.

Check the stats again, then you will see that you have another loss against yourself. What is it now? 65-1

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:58 - Dec 26 with 1670 viewsButty101

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:51 - Dec 26 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

After today it will be very close to that number.

Check the stats again, then you will see that you have another loss against yourself. What is it now? 65-1

“After today it will be very close to that number.“

As I said I call bs

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 15:06 - Dec 26 with 1661 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hampshire's greatest footballers on 14:58 - Dec 26 by Butty101

“After today it will be very close to that number.“

As I said I call bs

Yes, just re-checked it. 48 is close to 50. Education on the IOW is problematic isn't it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024