Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
20,091 11:32 - Jan 5 with 1830 viewsPatfromPoole

Given that:

1. It was our 3rd home game in a week, with the other two being full houses
2. Huddersfield only brought around 300 fans (not that I blame them)
3. Ralph generally picks a reserve team in FA Cup games

I didn’t think it was too shabby an attendance yesterday. Interesting to see a group of around 20 or so quite young school kids all sat together in Block 1 of the Itchen North 😳 ; not sure who decided to buy their tickets for the Itchen North, though I dare say they found the Westwood songs quite informative.....
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 11:32]

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

20,091 on 11:35 - Jan 5 with 1511 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

I bought tickets for the 3 of us - £27 inc. booking fee, I think. That was good value and I don't begrudge spending that - so the pricing was well set.

Shame the Premier League is such a con and I won't be going at current PL prices.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

20,091 on 11:49 - Jan 5 with 1482 viewsPatfromPoole

20,091 on 11:35 - Jan 5 by Gennaro_Contaldo

I bought tickets for the 3 of us - £27 inc. booking fee, I think. That was good value and I don't begrudge spending that - so the pricing was well set.

Shame the Premier League is such a con and I won't be going at current PL prices.

I hope that we get another similar draw in the next round so that the future generations can be involved again, both on and off the pitch.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

20,091 on 14:29 - Jan 5 with 1370 viewsSaintsforeverj

20,091 on 11:49 - Jan 5 by PatfromPoole

I hope that we get another similar draw in the next round so that the future generations can be involved again, both on and off the pitch.

If the PL ticket pricing was right, we could sell 40 000 for games. But I know many people who just can't afford to pay £50 plus and then pay for their family too. Many future supporters were at the game yesterday. What a shame they can't ever go to PL games because it's so expensive.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

20,091 on 15:05 - Jan 5 with 1344 viewsA1079

All good points. Good to see that the club got the pricing strategy for this right and I agree, how many more supporters and future supporters would we acquire if our pricing strategy was more favourable for league games? Also good to see, how some of our younger players were given a chance, though as you will see from my summary on the Verdict page, I was not too impressed by our more experienced older peripheral first team players.
20,091 on 16:04 - Jan 5 with 1272 viewsthis_charming_man

20,091 on 11:35 - Jan 5 by Gennaro_Contaldo

What did your las think of the game?

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

20,091 on 16:45 - Jan 5 with 1220 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

20,091 on 16:04 - Jan 5 by this_charming_man

What did your las think of the game?

Hmmm, er, yeah ... he's still not bothered ...

I'm fine with that, I'm not forcing it, he said he wanted to go, we did, I don't think he'll ask again for a while - but thankfully those prices mean that I don't feel so bad trying it out with him (like the last time when he was too young, against Norwich in the 3rd round two years ago).

He might get more interested if some of his mates are later on (he's only 5 after all), but Fleet doesn't seem to have many football fans in apart from the "big 6" types who talk rubbish about football anyway. I keep meaning to walk up and watch Fleet Town, but we're always busy on weekends now.

20,091 on 17:42 - Jan 5 with 1169 viewsfranniesTache

20,091 on 16:45 - Jan 5 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Hmmm, er, yeah ... he's still not bothered ...

I'm fine with that, I'm not forcing it, he said he wanted to go, we did, I don't think he'll ask again for a while - but thankfully those prices mean that I don't feel so bad trying it out with him (like the last time when he was too young, against Norwich in the 3rd round two years ago).

He might get more interested if some of his mates are later on (he's only 5 after all), but Fleet doesn't seem to have many football fans in apart from the "big 6" types who talk rubbish about football anyway. I keep meaning to walk up and watch Fleet Town, but we're always busy on weekends now.

only 5foot? So takes after his old man then?
20,091 on 20:48 - Jan 5 with 1044 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

20,091 on 14:29 - Jan 5 by Saintsforeverj

If the PL ticket pricing was right, we could sell 40 000 for games. But I know many people who just can't afford to pay £50 plus and then pay for their family too. Many future supporters were at the game yesterday. What a shame they can't ever go to PL games because it's so expensive.

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Login to get fewer ads

20,091 on 20:58 - Jan 5 with 1034 viewsSaintsforeverj

20,091 on 20:48 - Jan 5 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Erm, we have often sold 32 000 tickets for games, so 8000 more? We took 50 000 to Wembley. If the pricing was right, especially against the big clubs, we could easily sell
40 000 tickets, even if we gave 5 or 6 thousand tickets to away fans, if needed.
As for Pompey, taking 200 fans to their game 🤔
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 20:59]

20,091 on 21:04 - Jan 5 with 1014 viewsSaintNick

20,091 on 14:29 - Jan 5 by Saintsforeverj

When the prices were slashed for the games against Norwich and Watford the crowd was still terrible so cutting prices is not as simple an answer as it sounds.

You can get in to most games at nowhere near £50 and tickets in the family section are reasonable.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

20,091 on 21:06 - Jan 5 with 996 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

20,091 on 20:58 - Jan 5 by Saintsforeverj

Erm, we have often sold 32 000 tickets for games, so 8000 more? We took 50 000 to Wembley. If the pricing was right, especially against the big clubs, we could easily sell
40 000 tickets, even if we gave 5 or 6 thousand tickets to away fans, if needed.
As for Pompey, taking 200 fans to their game 🤔
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 20:59]

The delusion is scintillating. You have never had more than 32,500 since 1885.

20,091 on 21:06 - Jan 5 with 1007 viewsJaySaint

20,091 on 21:04 - Jan 5 by SaintNick

When the prices were slashed for the games against Norwich and Watford the crowd was still terrible so cutting prices is not as simple an answer as it sounds.

You can get in to most games at nowhere near £50 and tickets in the family section are reasonable.

you would need sustained periods of doing well and low ticket prices..to make going a habit again for many

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

20,091 on 21:40 - Jan 5 with 973 viewsSaintsforeverj

20,091 on 21:04 - Jan 5 by SaintNick

I know for a fact that family members and friends went to the game yesterday purely because they got an adult ticket for £10 and a child ticket for £2 - a total of £24.They very rarely attend PL games because it would cost about £150 in total. They went yesterday because of the decent price for a ticket and for once were able to go as a family. Are you saying that this isn't the case? It's not true that numerous families and children at the game yesterday were there because of the cheaper prices? I can assure you that if the price of a ticket on a Saturday was £10 and £2, the people I know, would definitely attend more games.

Another poster above has said exactly the same - that in his case £27 was good value. Are you saying this is not true?
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 21:47]

20,091 on 22:07 - Jan 5 with 931 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

20,091 on 17:42 - Jan 5 by franniesTache

only 5foot? So takes after his old man then?

I don't get it?

20,091 on 22:08 - Jan 5 with 927 viewskingslandstand1

20,091 on 21:06 - Jan 5 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

So who do you want in the next round?
20,091 on 22:35 - Jan 5 with 901 viewsSaintNick

20,091 on 21:40 - Jan 5 by Saintsforeverj

I know for a fact that family members and friends went to the game yesterday purely because they got an adult ticket for £10 and a child ticket for £2 - a total of £24.They very rarely attend PL games because it would cost about £150 in total. They went yesterday because of the decent price for a ticket and for once were able to go as a family. Are you saying that this isn't the case? It's not true that numerous families and children at the game yesterday were there because of the cheaper prices? I can assure you that if the price of a ticket on a Saturday was £10 and £2, the people I know, would definitely attend more games.

Another poster above has said exactly the same - that in his case £27 was good value. Are you saying this is not true?
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 21:47]

Tickets were cheap yesterday no one is denying that, I said that tickets were cheaper than £50 for most games, for instance for the Wolves game you can get two adult tickets and two kids tickets for £72, now that is a bit more than £27 but good value for a family. even without

I also said that when tickets prices were slashed for Norwich & Wolves it didn't help the crowd which was the two lowest gates of the season.

To say that all tickets are £50 is ludicrous, some games see adult prices as low as £20 . you can buy an adult season ticket for the last 8 games for £220, thats £27.50 a game.

Saints have a broad pricing structure now but they are not very good at publicising it, many like you believe that tickets are £50 for every game, Saints prices compare well with many other Premier League and even Championship clubs

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

20,091 on 23:28 - Jan 5 with 859 viewsSaintsforeverj

20,091 on 22:35 - Jan 5 by SaintNick

Tickets were cheap yesterday no one is denying that, I said that tickets were cheaper than £50 for most games, for instance for the Wolves game you can get two adult tickets and two kids tickets for £72, now that is a bit more than £27 but good value for a family. even without

I also said that when tickets prices were slashed for Norwich & Wolves it didn't help the crowd which was the two lowest gates of the season.

To say that all tickets are £50 is ludicrous, some games see adult prices as low as £20 . you can buy an adult season ticket for the last 8 games for £220, thats £27.50 a game.

Saints have a broad pricing structure now but they are not very good at publicising it, many like you believe that tickets are £50 for every game, Saints prices compare well with many other Premier League and even Championship clubs

I suppose I am saying that at £27 for a an hour an half of football for a family of 4 is really good value. Charge that for Wolves at home, I bet the game would easily sell out. I know a fair number of people who would go more often if it wasn't so expensive and that would inevitably bring the attendances up. Wasn't the Norwich game midweek, wet and a school night? And the team was in the bottom 3. I think the Watford game was on TV.

£72 is still quite a lot of money and only if there are tickets available in one particular section. It's more like £100 for the top games. I just think it's a shame that there are loads more Saints fans around than the attendances might suggest. They just can't afford to go regularly. It's the same across the PL yes and says a lot about it really:
The empty seats for games at Burnley, Newcastle, Watford etc is clear to see. Of course the grounds are full at the top clubs as they have fans across the world buying them, if the locals can't afford them.

I'm one of those who would rather the stadium be full, even if it means lower prices.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 23:34]

20,091 on 15:57 - Jan 6 with 688 viewsSouthSeaSaint

20,091 on 21:06 - Jan 5 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

But to put home attendances into perspective, since Pompey and Saints joined the Football League in 1920/21, Saints have higher average home attendances for 59 of the 93 seasons despite only having a larger capacity ground for 18 seasons.
Since both clubs were reunited in Division 2 in 1960/61, the crowds at Fratton Park have only exceeded those at The Dell/SMS in two seasons.
Even when Pompey won League 1 in two successive years in the early 1950's, the average home attendances never went above 37,000 despite a ground capacity of + 50,000.
This was at a time that the crowds at Fratton were swelled by thousands of sailors (post WW2) and quite a number of Saints fans who used to travel down to Pompey to watch Div 1 football.
They appear to have been welcomed by locals who seemed to have no knowledge of the fabricated Southampton Company of Union Men nonsense.
20,091 on 16:28 - Jan 6 with 655 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

20,091 on 15:57 - Jan 6 by SouthSeaSaint

But to put home attendances into perspective, since Pompey and Saints joined the Football League in 1920/21, Saints have higher average home attendances for 59 of the 93 seasons despite only having a larger capacity ground for 18 seasons.
Since both clubs were reunited in Division 2 in 1960/61, the crowds at Fratton Park have only exceeded those at The Dell/SMS in two seasons.
Even when Pompey won League 1 in two successive years in the early 1950's, the average home attendances never went above 37,000 despite a ground capacity of + 50,000.
This was at a time that the crowds at Fratton were swelled by thousands of sailors (post WW2) and quite a number of Saints fans who used to travel down to Pompey to watch Div 1 football.
They appear to have been welcomed by locals who seemed to have no knowledge of the fabricated Southampton Company of Union Men nonsense.

To put things into perspective, Soton has been a much better run club than Pompey for decades.

To put things into perspective, in the old days lots of clubs would hide their attendances to put money into the owners pockets. This was going on at Pompey and many other clubs. In other words, Pompey’s attendances from years back were a fair bit higher.

To put things into perspective, these days attendances include season ticket holders who don’t attend matches, of which Soton is one of the worst culprits for not turning up, as proved by Freedom of Information requests..

To put things into perspective, despite all of the above, Pompey have a record attendance of around 20k higher than Soton, an average higher league attendance of around 5k higher, and have a higher all time top flight attendance record of almost 2.7k higher (24k to 21.3k).
[Post edited 6 Jan 2020 16:34]

20,091 (n/t) on 17:50 - Jan 6 with 588 viewsDellHero

20,091 on 16:28 - Jan 6 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

To put things into perspective, Soton has been a much better run club than Pompey for decades.

To put things into perspective, in the old days lots of clubs would hide their attendances to put money into the owners pockets. This was going on at Pompey and many other clubs. In other words, Pompey’s attendances from years back were a fair bit higher.

To put things into perspective, these days attendances include season ticket holders who don’t attend matches, of which Soton is one of the worst culprits for not turning up, as proved by Freedom of Information requests..

To put things into perspective, despite all of the above, Pompey have a record attendance of around 20k higher than Soton, an average higher league attendance of around 5k higher, and have a higher all time top flight attendance record of almost 2.7k higher (24k to 21.3k).

[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 23:06]
20,091 on 18:08 - Jan 6 with 566 viewsSaintsforeverj

20,091 on 16:28 - Jan 6 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

To put things in perspective:

Southampton - Premier League Team
Portsmouth - League 1 Team
Latest meeting - Portsmouth 0 Southampton 4
Current average attendance Portsmouth 18 000
Southampton 30 000

Now, there is some perspective.

20,091 on 18:14 - Jan 6 with 554 viewsfranniesTache

Where did 180 get that higher average league attendance from? It's utter boll*cks and a new myth i've never seen before
20,091 on 18:32 - Jan 6 with 530 viewsSouthSeaSaint

He's right that Pompey once had an average of 37,000 when they won the League (actually less that Hull City who were in Division 3 at the time)
However Pompey's historical average is less than ours and once went down to around 8,000.
If you look at our JPT game v Carlisle there were 74,000 at Wembley of which slightly less than 18,000 were Carlisle fans (fair play to them for that for what was an early start for them to make the journey to London)
There were approx 2,000 tickets offered up to sponsors whilst the remaining 54,000 were Saints fans which means that there were more travelling fans than the record attendance at Fratton Park.
Saints will also have the bragging rights about the number of fans following our trip to the San Siro (ie a tad under 8,000)
20,091 on 18:43 - Jan 6 with 518 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

20,091 (n/t) on 17:50 - Jan 6 by DellHero

[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 23:06]

I win every single argument. Do keep up

20,091 on 18:47 - Jan 6 with 508 viewsSaintsforeverj

20,091 on 18:43 - Jan 6 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

I win every single argument. Do keep up

The most important argument is that Southampton are currently the better team, higher up and a bigger club. That can't be argued.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024