Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Had enough yet..? 10:52 - Feb 6 with 2047 viewsSonicBoom

Deep breath - I was talking to my mates last night after the game and most have really had enough of modern football. How on earth was that a pen?
From the 80's when I started going, getting a penalty was a rare occurrence. Someone had to be chopped down and other than that you just got on with it.

Last night we had Son push the ball wide of Gunn then feel a glove brush his thigh. Not only did he use that as a reason to collapse to the turf, but several commentators have said the line "there is contact" as if that justified it.
Dropping to the ground is now a legitimate tactic in a game in fact players say that their team mates will actively question them if they DON'T do it.
It's farcical to have ten replays so that some form of contact can be found to justify giving a penalty.
To be honest I blame the rule makers because the players wouldn't do it if the ref didn't oblige with a penalty.
Frankly I'm sick of it, we played so well and the game is decided by an act of cynicism and a level of contact that wouldn't knock over a toddler. And that isn't an exaggeration.
Add to that the fans that celebrate winning a game in that fashion - if Ings had done it, I'd take no pleasure from knowing we'd basically cheated.

Forget VAR - it simply looks for that contact. The rule is wrong and flies in the face of common sense.
Son must live in London. I guess he uses the tube and I can only assume he spends his days rolling around on the platforms as people jostle and knock against him.

Seriously a penalty must be given if a defender gains an advantage through foul play but we are at the stage where - unlike anywhere else on the pitch - a penalty is given if two players barely contact each other. It's pathetic and reduces the game to who can simulate and cheat the best, and frankly I'm tired of it. Rant over.

Had enough yet..? on 11:41 - Feb 6 with 1971 viewsBuggalugs

There are so many things I dislike about modern day football and there's so much I dislike about the modern day football experience, but it's still engrained in me to go. I take pride in representing my city at games, I love it when we play well, I love it when we win and I can't see that changing.

However, I hardly watch any other football on tv anymore, don't bother with motd, no live games, very little Sky Sports news, not fussed about England games....I'm just not interested

The biases and drivel that's pumped out by most media outlets nowadays is excruciating, cliched rubbish. They have created a product to appeal to the masses who love Liverpool, Man U, Spurs etc, but who have never been inside a stadium, so from that respect, it's all pretty w@nk really.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Had enough yet..? on 12:35 - Feb 6 with 1908 viewsSaintsforeverj

I've had enough of the same old teams being in finals and winning the league. Had enough of Saints not getting anywhere ever. It is all about money. I'm fed up of the "do gooders" making games seem like we are visiting the theatre. Fed up of seeing Liverpool shirts all over the South because they are the best. No loyalty or sense of pride in local area. Fed up of refs favouring the top clubs and giving their soft penalties but not ours. Fed up of proper Saints fans not being able to go to games anymore because its just a commercial business now. Replaced by mostly passion less people just there for the PL and / or replaced by opposition fans who snap up the tickets we can't afford. I'm Saints forever and a day, love it when we win and will go when I can but yeah it's so boring really and had enough to a certain extent yep.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2020 12:36]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Had enough yet..? on 12:58 - Feb 6 with 1871 viewsdirk_doone

Had enough yet..? on 12:35 - Feb 6 by Saintsforeverj

I've had enough of the same old teams being in finals and winning the league. Had enough of Saints not getting anywhere ever. It is all about money. I'm fed up of the "do gooders" making games seem like we are visiting the theatre. Fed up of seeing Liverpool shirts all over the South because they are the best. No loyalty or sense of pride in local area. Fed up of refs favouring the top clubs and giving their soft penalties but not ours. Fed up of proper Saints fans not being able to go to games anymore because its just a commercial business now. Replaced by mostly passion less people just there for the PL and / or replaced by opposition fans who snap up the tickets we can't afford. I'm Saints forever and a day, love it when we win and will go when I can but yeah it's so boring really and had enough to a certain extent yep.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2020 12:36]

To be fair, more teams have won the league in the last few years than in most other eras in football history. Liverpool will be the fifth different team to win it in eight years.

It's true that since Wigan won it in 2013, the FA Cup winners have been dominated by Arsenal but Hull, Villa, Palace and Watford have all been in finals since then. In fact, there have been 12 different FA Cup finalists as well as 12 different League Cup finalists in the last decade.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Had enough yet..? on 12:59 - Feb 6 with 1869 views1teeminants

Yep .Fed up with just being here to make up numbers, fed up with playing well and never getting anywhere ,the hype of the media and pundits towards the top clubs like nothing else matters, clubs buying trophies, our lot being so tight and never showing ambition compared to the likes of Wolves, Leicester who were once seen as our equals, even Palace and little Bournemouth show more ambition than us FFS. The players that dive ,feign injury, cheat blatantly. The managers that pretend to not notice when one of their own makes a bad tackle. The shit plastic fans glued to their phones during games. Yeah I could go on all day . I would love someone to make a list of all the things they love about modern football .

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Had enough yet..? on 13:26 - Feb 6 with 1810 viewsthis_charming_man

playing the big clubs is like boxing an American in their own country, you need to knock them out to even get a draw. VAR has made no difference at all. If Sons pen was one so was Betrands and Ings was absolute stonewall.

I didn't bother watching much after the game, did the pundits discuss it?? I turned off when they started going on about how Mourhinos subs changed the game, he made 2 at 1-1 and the other one injury time FFS

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Had enough yet..? on 13:37 - Feb 6 with 1794 viewsSaintsforeverj

Had enough yet..? on 12:58 - Feb 6 by dirk_doone

To be fair, more teams have won the league in the last few years than in most other eras in football history. Liverpool will be the fifth different team to win it in eight years.

It's true that since Wigan won it in 2013, the FA Cup winners have been dominated by Arsenal but Hull, Villa, Palace and Watford have all been in finals since then. In fact, there have been 12 different FA Cup finalists as well as 12 different League Cup finalists in the last decade.

With the exception of Leicester ( who actually spend a lot of money and are ambitious themselves so not much of a surprise), the only winners of the PL have been Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool and before that Man U.
The winners of the FA cup have been top 4 clubs. This year, I expect Liverpool to bring back their stars and go all the way, after showing such disrespect to the competition. The league Cup this year again will be won by Man City most likely. Its all as boring and predictable as you like.

When we got to a very rare final, the ref once again did us in and disallowed a perfectly good goal. The lesser teams just don't get anywhere for various reasons but namely money (I. E a top club in the final brings in 10 times the amount of money for TV viewers etc. so it's encouraged and pushed by the refs and authorities).
[Post edited 6 Feb 2020 13:49]

Had enough yet..? on 17:59 - Feb 6 with 1600 viewsDorsetIan

Had enough yet..? on 13:37 - Feb 6 by Saintsforeverj

With the exception of Leicester ( who actually spend a lot of money and are ambitious themselves so not much of a surprise), the only winners of the PL have been Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool and before that Man U.
The winners of the FA cup have been top 4 clubs. This year, I expect Liverpool to bring back their stars and go all the way, after showing such disrespect to the competition. The league Cup this year again will be won by Man City most likely. Its all as boring and predictable as you like.

When we got to a very rare final, the ref once again did us in and disallowed a perfectly good goal. The lesser teams just don't get anywhere for various reasons but namely money (I. E a top club in the final brings in 10 times the amount of money for TV viewers etc. so it's encouraged and pushed by the refs and authorities).
[Post edited 6 Feb 2020 13:49]

The Premier League needs a shake up. In the other three leagues, there are 2 or 3 automatic promotions slots + 4 play off places to aim for, which means that there are plenty of places for decent teams to aim for each season and keep the interest going for the fans. In the Prem, because the top 6 automatically fill the top 6 places (give or take) there is basically 1 spot (7th) for everyone else to aim for. In means that statistically the odds of actually achieving something for a club like Saints are very limited. And therefore most seasons the only thing we can really achieve is avoiding relegation and hope to finish as high as possible but with nothing to really show for it.

I would do two things:

First, I would introduce a playoff system for the final Europa League slot. That would give 4 slots to aim for rather than 1.

Second, I would make it a rule that if you qualify for Champs or Europa League, you would automatically drop out of the League Cup. That would give the 'second tier' Prem clubs a better chance of some silverware, while still giving the top teams a chance to dominate the FA Cup. If you're already in a European comp, why do you need the League Cup too?

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Had enough yet..? on 18:01 - Feb 6 with 1596 viewsgrumpy

Had enough yet..? on 12:59 - Feb 6 by 1teeminants

Yep .Fed up with just being here to make up numbers, fed up with playing well and never getting anywhere ,the hype of the media and pundits towards the top clubs like nothing else matters, clubs buying trophies, our lot being so tight and never showing ambition compared to the likes of Wolves, Leicester who were once seen as our equals, even Palace and little Bournemouth show more ambition than us FFS. The players that dive ,feign injury, cheat blatantly. The managers that pretend to not notice when one of their own makes a bad tackle. The shit plastic fans glued to their phones during games. Yeah I could go on all day . I would love someone to make a list of all the things they love about modern football .

Son fell like being poleaxed, he wasn't anywhere near that.
Is this what the game has come to, if you want a penalty'dive'?
Is this the message we are sending to our young players?
Sometimes I think our players are getting used to these decisions as when it happens there seems little reaction to them.
We played well against Liverpool and Spurs and lost both,4-0 flattered Liverpool and Spurs simply didn't deserve to win that game.
What with the lack of investment and results like that is it any wonder fans get disillusioned.
On the thread 'Was there VAR?'below,see the clip of highlights.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2020 18:07]
Login to get fewer ads

Had enough yet..? on 19:53 - Feb 6 with 1508 viewsSaintsforeverj

Had enough yet..? on 17:59 - Feb 6 by DorsetIan

The Premier League needs a shake up. In the other three leagues, there are 2 or 3 automatic promotions slots + 4 play off places to aim for, which means that there are plenty of places for decent teams to aim for each season and keep the interest going for the fans. In the Prem, because the top 6 automatically fill the top 6 places (give or take) there is basically 1 spot (7th) for everyone else to aim for. In means that statistically the odds of actually achieving something for a club like Saints are very limited. And therefore most seasons the only thing we can really achieve is avoiding relegation and hope to finish as high as possible but with nothing to really show for it.

I would do two things:

First, I would introduce a playoff system for the final Europa League slot. That would give 4 slots to aim for rather than 1.

Second, I would make it a rule that if you qualify for Champs or Europa League, you would automatically drop out of the League Cup. That would give the 'second tier' Prem clubs a better chance of some silverware, while still giving the top teams a chance to dominate the FA Cup. If you're already in a European comp, why do you need the League Cup too?

Some interesting ideas. I would add that maybe the top 3 qualify for champions league automatically. Then a play off for the other place between 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th place. Europa league for 8th. A possible champions league place for finishing 7th might make things more competitive and less stale for the rest of the league.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2020 19:54]

Had enough yet..? on 20:24 - Feb 6 with 1468 viewsBlue

The money-chase started when tottenham floated on the stock exchange in the 80's, the advent of the premier league exacerbated it, massively.

Trouble is, because so many other clubs got hoodwinked into voting for ffp, even if another club got owners willing to invest like ours have, they wouldn't be able to. Turkeys/Christmas.

As for being able to compete, Wigan beat us in that final, and knocked us out of two other competitions since, Wolves have beaten united and liverpool in cups recently, plenty of other shocks have happened.

Sometimes it's about a bit of luck, other times it's because you didn't take your chances, like us at spurs on Sunday, and yourselves last night. That was never a penalty, either, Son has gone from being a likeable player to a dirty, cheating tw@t in double-quick time.

Still stood in the Kippax

Had enough yet..? on 21:02 - Feb 6 with 1432 viewsMattFinish

Had enough yet..? on 18:01 - Feb 6 by grumpy

Son fell like being poleaxed, he wasn't anywhere near that.
Is this what the game has come to, if you want a penalty'dive'?
Is this the message we are sending to our young players?
Sometimes I think our players are getting used to these decisions as when it happens there seems little reaction to them.
We played well against Liverpool and Spurs and lost both,4-0 flattered Liverpool and Spurs simply didn't deserve to win that game.
What with the lack of investment and results like that is it any wonder fans get disillusioned.
On the thread 'Was there VAR?'below,see the clip of highlights.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2020 18:07]

Totally agree Grumps. Where was VAR when Boufal shot wide when he should have scored? Ings rode a foul and should have gone down. Why didn't VAR review that or does a player have to fall over to get a VAR review?
Had enough yet..? on 23:12 - Feb 6 with 1335 viewsAndrewW_London

Had enough yet..? on 21:02 - Feb 6 by MattFinish

Totally agree Grumps. Where was VAR when Boufal shot wide when he should have scored? Ings rode a foul and should have gone down. Why didn't VAR review that or does a player have to fall over to get a VAR review?

I agree too. There is no way on earth that was a penalty.

Son is a cheating cvnt and blatantly dived. Gunn barely touched him and was justified in protesting to the referee after the penalty was awarded. What is the point of VAR if it's not going to overturn ridiculous decisions like that? We were the better team by far last night and should now be in the fifth round instead of Spurs. They are a revolting team and cheated their way to an undeserved victory.

Twickenham Saint

Had enough yet..? on 23:26 - Feb 6 with 1327 viewshedgeend61

Aston Villa and West Ham both showed ambition this summer by spending well over 100m to take them to the next level, more than Leicester and Wolves.

One or both of Villa and West Ham (even Bournemouth maybe, who also spent a few bob) could find their level next season is the championship, Sheff Utd on the other hand spent a fraction of what these clubs have, and are where they want to be right now.

We spent recently the best part of 60m on Carillo, Hoedt, and Vestergaard, who lets be honest aren't very good, not really PL quality, and worth about 10m between them on a good day.

So, it's not how much you spend that will improve a squad, it's who you trust to spend it, and getting lucky sometimes.
Had enough yet..? on 23:36 - Feb 6 with 1308 viewsSaintsforeverj

Had enough yet..? on 23:26 - Feb 6 by hedgeend61

Aston Villa and West Ham both showed ambition this summer by spending well over 100m to take them to the next level, more than Leicester and Wolves.

One or both of Villa and West Ham (even Bournemouth maybe, who also spent a few bob) could find their level next season is the championship, Sheff Utd on the other hand spent a fraction of what these clubs have, and are where they want to be right now.

We spent recently the best part of 60m on Carillo, Hoedt, and Vestergaard, who lets be honest aren't very good, not really PL quality, and worth about 10m between them on a good day.

So, it's not how much you spend that will improve a squad, it's who you trust to spend it, and getting lucky sometimes.

The point is, if Saints recruited a decent experienced centre back or two, we would have one hell of a team. If Saints didn't have to play a midfielder at right back, we might have a great team. Instead, we come up short of any success because they would rather that than add the final pieces to the jigsaw. Nobody is asking for hundreds of millions to be spent. Just get in a decent defender! And maybe more than just one recognised right back who is also not just on loan! Nobody wants the club to splash cash carelessly.

The club is in a strong and healthy financial state. Let's at least have a recognised right back and proper central defender that we have needed for 4 long years! Even if we got Cahill for nothing, it would make a difference. Instead Ralph will create a good side that he can't take any further because of the solvable limitations. Its very frustrating.

Even in the league Cup final, yes we were cheated by the ref but playing Stephens and Yoshida and not buying a defender cost us the Cup. I remember the upset it caused 3 whole years ago and we still don't get in a central defender. We are forever the nearly men because the club won't invest.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2020 23:46]

Had enough yet..? on 02:26 - Feb 7 with 1263 viewsMarcus_y

Honestly, I can't tell you anything I love about modern football. Yeah I guess u could say food and stadiums but for me that is worse also. Part of the appeal that sucked me in was the terraces, the pies and bovril. The fact it was not comfortable. Football was not supposed to come with popcorn and cinema chair. That is why we loved it.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2020 2:31]

You're nothing but a lot of talk n'a' badge.

Had enough yet..? on 06:35 - Feb 7 with 1201 viewsMattFinish

Let's face facts, we really don't need to invest that much. We don't need to break the bank.
We were heavily linked with Joakim Maehle a RB at Genk and Marin Pongracic a CB at Salzburg. Maehle is available at around £8m and Pongracic has just gone to Wolfsburg for £9m. We could have had both for less than we paid for Vestergaard and still been the smallest spenders other than Norwich
With these 2 we could have been challenging for 5th place
Had enough yet..? on 08:39 - Feb 7 with 1150 views1teeminants

Had enough yet..? on 21:02 - Feb 6 by MattFinish

One of the problems is our players are too nice, they always have been apart from 70’s and part of the 80’s . They should be taught to go down in the box at the slightest contact. The big clubs all do it ,win at all costs mentality. Son, Mané, Sterling etc have all been taught to do it and they do it very well. If you can’t beat them join em. We need to be smart and cheat well.

Saints are far too nice. Fvck em

Had enough yet..? on 13:41 - Feb 8 with 994 viewsBuenosSaint

Had enough yet..? on 08:39 - Feb 7 by 1teeminants

One of the problems is our players are too nice, they always have been apart from 70’s and part of the 80’s . They should be taught to go down in the box at the slightest contact. The big clubs all do it ,win at all costs mentality. Son, Mané, Sterling etc have all been taught to do it and they do it very well. If you can’t beat them join em. We need to be smart and cheat well.

Saints are far too nice. Fvck em

Yes. Players are too"nice". Manager is also way too nice. See how others top 6 teams get in the refs face. How other managers take every interview opportunity to plead the injustices etc. Now I didn't know if we want Southampton to behave that way but as its been touted ultimately nice guys finish last.

Poll: The Long Future

Had enough yet..? on 14:30 - Feb 8 with 960 views1teeminants

Had enough yet..? on 13:41 - Feb 8 by BuenosSaint

Yes. Players are too"nice". Manager is also way too nice. See how others top 6 teams get in the refs face. How other managers take every interview opportunity to plead the injustices etc. Now I didn't know if we want Southampton to behave that way but as its been touted ultimately nice guys finish last.

Exactly .Nobody likes to see cheating but so many teams do it now so why not join in otherwise we just get left behind.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024