Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shane Long 09:50 - Feb 16 with 1217 viewsMytchettSaint

Appreciate no one covered themselves in glory yesterday and we were playing the biggest cloggers in the league but sometimes if the game doesn’t come to you, you have to go looking for the game. Completely anonymous yesterday, I thought he’d been putting in a few improved performances of late as his contract is up in the summer (cynical of me perhaps but a few other first team players seemed to up their performances ahead of the January transfer window....),
He’s an impact player for me, no more and no less. I don’t think he deserves another contract next season with us though.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Shane Long on 10:04 - Feb 16 with 1181 viewsgrumpy

I was surprised Obafemi didn't start yesterday.
Shane Long on 10:22 - Feb 16 with 1147 viewsKennington

Think he deserves a one season extension but that’s only because the chances of getting someone better in with the current owners appears negligible. Agree that now the transfer window’s over quite a few performances have dropped. So much for the winter break freshening up players.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Shane Long on 10:46 - Feb 16 with 1112 viewsPatfromPoole

I’m a big fan, as one or two of you may be aware...

He’s never been prolific all the way through his career. Some games suit him better than others; he’s brilliant away from home when we need to hit teams on the break or at home if we are hanging on to a lead. A game at home where we are behind and the oppo defence sit back is not his sort of game.

The reality is that Ings apart, we can’t rely on any of our other strikers for goals, so I think he remains our best option to play alongside Ings.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Shane Long on 10:53 - Feb 16 with 1097 viewsPatfromPoole

Though that said, if and when we do get the points we need to be safe, I would like to see N’Lundulu given a chance.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Shane Long on 11:32 - Feb 16 with 1051 viewsMytchettSaint

Shane Long on 10:46 - Feb 16 by PatfromPoole

I’m a big fan, as one or two of you may be aware...

He’s never been prolific all the way through his career. Some games suit him better than others; he’s brilliant away from home when we need to hit teams on the break or at home if we are hanging on to a lead. A game at home where we are behind and the oppo defence sit back is not his sort of game.

The reality is that Ings apart, we can’t rely on any of our other strikers for goals, so I think he remains our best option to play alongside Ings.

I’ve nothing against him Pat and he’s never been prolific (I seem to remember reading his best ever return was 12 goals in a season?) but he was a passenger yesterday. We didn’t have the height to compete in the air with Burnley so I’m guessing we were going to try and put balls in behind them which is negated by sitting deep but I can’t recall him dropping off or taking defenders wide to try and do something, He was really poor yesterday and didn’t warrant his place out there.
His best role is coming on with 20-25 minutes left of a game and causing a nuisance. I just don’t think that deserves a contract extension.

Shane Long on 11:37 - Feb 16 with 1039 viewsthis_charming_man

The problem we has is that none of our other 3 strikers are up to much. Adams looked decent when he arrived but seems to have lost his way, long has never been a great striker, he is probably the best suited to they way we play but like you say against a big well organised defence he was ineffective. With the owner unwilling to spend any money other than what we bring in from sales it’s difficult to see how we could get an improvement on him.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Shane Long on 11:49 - Feb 16 with 1011 viewsUlsterBaz

I’d offer him another 12 months. He can’t hit a barn door but if we continue to use the high press tactics he does offer something to the side. I’d rather sell Adams tbh, I don’t think he offers anything.
Shane Long on 12:04 - Feb 16 with 992 viewsMytchettSaint

Shane Long on 11:49 - Feb 16 by UlsterBaz

I’d offer him another 12 months. He can’t hit a barn door but if we continue to use the high press tactics he does offer something to the side. I’d rather sell Adams tbh, I don’t think he offers anything.

An interesting point about the high press, I thought Burnley did that very well against us yesterday knowing we’d be forced to kick it away and they’d swallow that up, we to the same extent didn’t press them it seemed as they’d be quite happy to launch it knowing we’d struggle. It begs the question what our game plan was when it became apparent they were going to defend deep.
I’d give Adams another chance start of next season up to Christmas perhaps, he looks short of confidence and ideas but I do wonder how much of that is down to just needing a goal and his run of starts in the team being the start of this season when to be blunt - we were utter crap.
Something really needs to be done about our home form. It’s in danger of becoming toxic for players and fans alike again.

Login to get fewer ads

Shane Long on 12:46 - Feb 16 with 968 viewsI_would

Since Soares has gone we haven't won a match. £5m in could turn into £120m out. Long, PEH, WP and Vest were rubbish yesterday, shouldn't be a in any Prem starting 11.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

Shane Long on 12:52 - Feb 16 with 964 viewsUlsterBaz

Shane Long on 12:04 - Feb 16 by MytchettSaint

An interesting point about the high press, I thought Burnley did that very well against us yesterday knowing we’d be forced to kick it away and they’d swallow that up, we to the same extent didn’t press them it seemed as they’d be quite happy to launch it knowing we’d struggle. It begs the question what our game plan was when it became apparent they were going to defend deep.
I’d give Adams another chance start of next season up to Christmas perhaps, he looks short of confidence and ideas but I do wonder how much of that is down to just needing a goal and his run of starts in the team being the start of this season when to be blunt - we were utter crap.
Something really needs to be done about our home form. It’s in danger of becoming toxic for players and fans alike again.

Yes they used it very effectively at times yesterday.
Shane Long on 13:11 - Feb 16 with 947 viewskingslandstand1

We need to offer him that 12 months as we have no alternative which I admit is very negative. Afraid I just don't have faith in current incumbants to bring anyone decent in do better the devil you know etc and just hope tgere sre 3 crapper teams than us in this div come May
Either that or ask if we can play remaining games away from home!
Shane Long on 13:36 - Feb 16 with 919 viewsgrumpy

Shane Long on 12:52 - Feb 16 by UlsterBaz

Yes they used it very effectively at times yesterday.

Dare I say,it would help if the Northam was an all Saints end giving St.Marys a proper home end.Please don't bring up the Chapel end that will never happen.
Shane Long on 16:04 - Feb 16 with 832 viewskingslandstand1

Shane Long on 13:36 - Feb 16 by grumpy

Dare I say,it would help if the Northam was an all Saints end giving St.Marys a proper home end.Please don't bring up the Chapel end that will never happen.

Afraid to say the whole of the Northam will never happen either ...................
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024