Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us 10:10 - Mar 29 with 2660 viewsMytchettSaint

Not your Beckhams, Henrys or Ronaldos I’m talking about the players from your Blackburns and Coventrys

West Ham’s Ian Bishop and John Moncur were two that always seemed to play well against us back in the 90’s
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 10:10]

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 10:14 - Mar 29 with 2178 viewsdirk_doone

They are often workmanlike midfielders, like Chris Marsden and Steve Davis.

I remember wishing Neil Lennon played for us when we faced his Crewe team in the FA Cup in the 90s.

More recently, I always thought that Jonny Howson, formerly of Leeds and Norwich and now finishing his career at Middlesbrough, could have done a job for us.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 10:23]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 10:20 - Mar 29 with 2155 viewsthis_charming_man

Matt Elliott. Chose Leicester over us in the 90s, I always really rated him.

Ian bishop is a good shout, always liked him. I thought Paul Sturrock was a very good player when I was young.

Others Kevin Sheedy, Niall Quinn, Tony Cascarino.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 10:24 - Mar 29 with 2147 viewsdirk_doone

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 10:20 - Mar 29 by this_charming_man

Ian bishop is a good shout, always liked him. I thought Paul Sturrock was a very good player when I was young.

Yes, Matt Elliott is a good call.

I remember that strike partnership of Cascarino and Sheringham at Millwall. Probably the best they ever had.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 10:28]

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 10:33 - Mar 29 with 2133 viewsGasGiant

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 10:24 - Mar 29 by dirk_doone

I remember that strike partnership of Cascarino and Sheringham at Millwall. Probably the best they ever had.

Michail Antonio..Oh, wait.
Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 10:37 - Mar 29 with 2127 viewsdirk_doone

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 10:33 - Mar 29 by GasGiant

Michail Antonio..Oh, wait.

Yes, every time I see him play against us, I wish he was still in our team.

Reading certainly tried very hard to get rid of him before they finally persuaded Wednesday to take him off their hands permanently.

2008—2012
Reading
(1)
→ Tooting & Mitcham United (loan)
(7)
→ Cheltenham Town (loan)
(0)
2009—2010
→ Southampton (loan)
(3)
→ Colchester United (loan)
(4)
→ Sheffield Wednesday (loan)
(5)
2012—2014
Sheffield Wednesday
(12)
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 10:38]

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 10:48 - Mar 29 with 2110 viewsMytchettSaint

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 10:20 - Mar 29 by this_charming_man

Yeah I remember us losing out to Leicester for Matt Elliott, for some reason I thought we’d get him.
Good call that one TCM

I remember we played Villa at the Dell when they had Cascarino and their fans were chanting alternately Josef Venglos claret/blue army - Cascerino is a donkey!

Bolton had a couple as well I’d like to have seen play for us in Jay Jay Okocha and Sasa Curcic

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 11:01 - Mar 29 with 2090 viewsIngskneeslide

Saints fans have always had a thing for overhyping average players that we don’t buy and under appreciating the solid pros we do (Davis, Telfer). I remember Petr Rudi, Brian Howard and Neil Danns all bring players that we simply had to sign at different stages.

Antonio is the one that always comes back to haunt us. Agree with Ian Bishop, classy player. Don Hutchison was always useful. Ian Taylor I always liked. Paul Kitson was always good for a goal or ten. I’ll stop now before my brain gets stuck in a loop of random 90s footballers
Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 12:12 - Mar 29 with 2045 viewsthis_charming_man

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 10:24 - Mar 29 by dirk_doone

They were a great front two. I hoped we'd sign Cascarino to replace Alan Shearer, he was at Celtic i think at the time, typically he went to Chelsea and we got Kerry Dixon. although to be fair i was a massive fan of in the mid 80s, i even wrote a letter to him in a school project in about 1986 when he had played a few games for England, got a signed photo back.

Login to get fewer ads

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 12:15 - Mar 29 with 2040 viewsthis_charming_man

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 11:01 - Mar 29 by Ingskneeslide

Saints fans have always had a thing for overhyping average players that we don’t buy and under appreciating the solid pros we do (Davis, Telfer). I remember Petr Rudi, Brian Howard and Neil Danns all bring players that we simply had to sign at different stages.

Antonio is the one that always comes back to haunt us. Agree with Ian Bishop, classy player. Don Hutchison was always useful. Ian Taylor I always liked. Paul Kitson was always good for a goal or ten. I’ll stop now before my brain gets stuck in a loop of random 90s footballers

Craig Mackail-Smith was another, we had to sign him and it was a massive mistake that we didn't according to a lot of our fans.

Personally i think for £800k Davis is one of our best ever signings, that consistent 7/10 player that every team needs, our james Milner.

I seem to remember Marcus Allback being a player we HAD to sign in the early 00's because he's done alright in Holland, he went to Villa and was terrible.

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 12:54 - Mar 29 with 2029 viewsIngskneeslide

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 12:15 - Mar 29 by this_charming_man

Craig Mackail-Smith was another, we had to sign him and it was a massive mistake that we didn't according to a lot of our fans.

Personally i think for £800k Davis is one of our best ever signings, that consistent 7/10 player that every team needs, our james Milner.

I seem to remember Marcus Allback being a player we HAD to sign in the early 00's because he's done alright in Holland, he went to Villa and was terrible.

Kaspars Gorkss! How could could I forget Gorkss and Le Fondre! They were decent Championship players but what did they do after getting promoted with Reading?
Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 12:58 - Mar 29 with 2026 viewsthis_charming_man

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 12:54 - Mar 29 by Ingskneeslide

Kaspars Gorkss! How could could I forget Gorkss and Le Fondre! They were decent Championship players but what did they do after getting promoted with Reading?

Somehow i'd forgotten about those two as well.

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 13:04 - Mar 29 with 2019 viewsBicester_North

Chris Bart-Williams!

Remember he scored a hat trick against us for Sheff Weds and I always rated him when he was at Wednesday and Forest, think he turned a move to us down at some point

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 13:19 - Mar 29 with 1999 viewsdirk_doone

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 12:54 - Mar 29 by Ingskneeslide

In the case of Le Fondre, score 14 goals and win Player of the Season and Premier League Player of the Month awards. He was a lazy player though who enjoyed life outside the game a bit too much and seemed to lose interest and fitness after Reading got relegated from the Premier League.

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 14:24 - Mar 29 with 1942 viewssolent_toffee

Kevin Sheedy average? He’d have the best player at Saints by a mile if he would played fir them in that era, pre Le Tissier like.
Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 14:51 - Mar 29 with 1928 viewsdirk_doone

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 14:24 - Mar 29 by solent_toffee

Kevin Sheedy average? He’d have the best player at Saints by a mile if he would played fir them in that era, pre Le Tissier like.

We had a few half-decent players during Sheedy's time at Everton, like Alan Shearer, Alan Ball, Mark Wright and Peter Shilton. Surprisingly, many people would still consider that Shearer was better than Sheedy.

Talking of average players, you'll probably remember when Le Fondre was in the Premier League:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/20278425
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 15:06]

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 15:04 - Mar 29 with 1916 viewsJaySaint

I remember when Stuart Ripley was half decent, thinking he do a job for us.

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 15:27 - Mar 29 with 1895 viewsMytchettSaint

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 14:24 - Mar 29 by solent_toffee

It was probably wrong of me to class players as average joe’s, it was more for emphasising not the obvious players like beckham more the players that weren’t classed as superstars.
Sheedy was a cracking player though in that very good Everton team of the mid 80’s, I’d have loved us to have had him.

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 15:39 - Mar 29 with 1885 viewsthis_charming_man

I agree he was brilliant but the not Henry or Ronaldo level like the OP said

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 15:46 - Mar 29 with 1875 viewsBicester_North

Everyone loves to hate him but Kevin Nolan would have been one I’d have liked here. We’ve been lacking nasty bastards overall for quite a while. Could’ve done with him in our 2005 relegation season

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 16:15 - Mar 29 with 1855 viewssolent_toffee

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 14:51 - Mar 29 by dirk_doone

We had a few half-decent players during Sheedy's time at Everton, like Alan Shearer, Alan Ball, Mark Wright and Peter Shilton. Surprisingly, many people would still consider that Shearer was better than Sheedy.

Talking of average players, you'll probably remember when Le Fondre was in the Premier League:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/20278425
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 15:06]

Shearer was probably on the up as Sheedy was on the way down. Sheedy was ace around 85-89/90, didn’t Shearer come ‘good’ 91/92? Ball was almost done in that era (?) and was Shilton still at Saints? I remember he put in the best goalkeeping display I’ve ever seen first hand playing for Derby just before the 89 cup final.
Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 16:21 - Mar 29 with 1854 viewssolent_toffee

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 15:39 - Mar 29 by this_charming_man

I agree he was brilliant but the not Henry or Ronaldo level like the OP said

Yeah but he wasn’t exactly playing for Cov either, winning two leagues, cup, Europe etc.

Everton are showing a full game every time there is supposed to be a match, it’s been brilliant and miles better than the stuff we watch now, even given for the back pass ruling. Steve Moran played in yesterday’s game, a 5-1 victory against Leicester. Sheedy scored a peach, Heath, a pariah of this parish got two. The tackles were flying in and everyone just got up, no rolling around. It was like watching a different sport.
Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 17:13 - Mar 29 with 1827 viewsthis_charming_man

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 16:21 - Mar 29 by solent_toffee

Yeah but he wasn’t exactly playing for Cov either, winning two leagues, cup, Europe etc.

Everton are showing a full game every time there is supposed to be a match, it’s been brilliant and miles better than the stuff we watch now, even given for the back pass ruling. Steve Moran played in yesterday’s game, a 5-1 victory against Leicester. Sheedy scored a peach, Heath, a pariah of this parish got two. The tackles were flying in and everyone just got up, no rolling around. It was like watching a different sport.

He scored one of the best goals I’ve seen Ever seen live at a game. At the dell about 1990. Everton equalizer in a 1-1 draw, cut in from the right, curled into the top corner from about 30 yards out. Remember thinking it was going it as soon as he hit it,

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 17:13 - Mar 29 with 1827 viewsdarthvader

Robbie savage

keep the faith coyr

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 17:33 - Mar 29 with 1809 viewsdarthvader

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 17:13 - Mar 29 by darthvader

Robbie savage

Couldnt stand the cünt but i remember saying id love it if he played for us

keep the faith coyr

Average Joe footballers that played against us you wished played for us on 21:05 - Mar 29 with 1758 viewsHappy_Jack

I always liked Steve Stone at Forest reminded me of David Armstrong

Millbrook Furnishing shop floor level banter
Poll: Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024