Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Big Match on BT Sport 15:58 - Mar 29 with 1052 viewsA1079

Dear all,

Hope you are all doing well and looking after yourselves and your families at this time.

Apologies if there has been a thread on this already, but just watched the Big Match which they are re-showing on BT sport. People of my age and era will remember this well as it used to be on a Sunday afternoon usually. Anyway, just seen Southampton Vs Fulham in the 76/77 season. Best played and Marsh for Fulham the former sent off for colourful language. Listening to the vocal support of "oh when the saints..." and how the Saints seemed more partisan then.

Dare I say, at the risk of sounding like an old nostalgic fuddy duddy, but the football experience seemed much better before the PL came onto the scene. I didn't realise that the 76/77 season was the first season that yellow and red cards were used.

Anyway, take care everyone.
The Big Match on BT Sport on 16:47 - Mar 29 with 1023 viewsdirk_doone

I remember that game well. The Dell crowd really got to Best that day. His walk of shame to the tunnel in the Milton/West Stand corner, was one of the most miserable I've ever seen, as he was bombarded with jeers and howls of derision every step of the way. Playing in that Fulham team with Moore and Marsh seemed to have revitalised his career but that match really derailed his comeback and his drinking spiralled out of control again.

You are right, the Dell was at its noisiest and most intimidating in the late 70s.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 16:48]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

The Big Match on BT Sport on 17:35 - Mar 29 with 977 viewsA1079

I did not really start going to football regularly until 1978/79 season when I was old enough to go on my own. I only went to occasional games before that if a friend's father took me as my parents had no interest in sport. I stood mostly at the Milton Road end where the wall sloped down towards the East stand. .
The Big Match on BT Sport on 18:14 - Mar 29 with 949 viewsTheMoog

The Big Match on BT Sport on 16:47 - Mar 29 by dirk_doone

I remember that game well. The Dell crowd really got to Best that day. His walk of shame to the tunnel in the Milton/West Stand corner, was one of the most miserable I've ever seen, as he was bombarded with jeers and howls of derision every step of the way. Playing in that Fulham team with Moore and Marsh seemed to have revitalised his career but that match really derailed his comeback and his drinking spiralled out of control again.

You are right, the Dell was at its noisiest and most intimidating in the late 70s.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 16:48]

It looks like he went to the dug out.

Standby to standby

The Big Match on BT Sport on 18:21 - Mar 29 with 946 viewsdirk_doone

The Big Match on BT Sport on 18:14 - Mar 29 by TheMoog

It looks like he went to the dug out.

I was there. He walked all the way to the player's tunnel. He couldn't stay out there: the crowd was giving him too much grief.

The Big Match on BT Sport on 18:30 - Mar 29 with 933 viewsTheMoog

The Big Match on BT Sport on 18:21 - Mar 29 by dirk_doone

I was there. He walked all the way to the player's tunnel. He couldn't stay out there: the crowd was giving him too much grief.

Who were the photographers trying to get to then?

Standby to standby

The Big Match on BT Sport on 18:46 - Mar 29 with 917 viewsdirk_doone

The Big Match on BT Sport on 18:30 - Mar 29 by TheMoog

Who were the photographers trying to get to then?

As this is clearly worrying you, I'm going to help you even more with a report from another fan who was there:

Miss World

Saints V Fulham - The Greatest Game 6th Oct 2012 10:19
Saints V Fulham fixtures have often been full of goals however the five goal thriller in 1976 must rank as the greatest game between the two clubs for several reasons. 1

[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 18:51]

The Big Match on BT Sport on 18:54 - Mar 29 with 899 viewsTheMoog

The Big Match on BT Sport on 18:46 - Mar 29 by dirk_doone

As this is clearly worrying you, I'm going to help you even more with a report from another fan who was there:

Miss World

Saints V Fulham - The Greatest Game 6th Oct 2012 10:19
Saints V Fulham fixtures have often been full of goals however the five goal thriller in 1976 must rank as the greatest game between the two clubs for several reasons. 1

[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 18:51]

While it was all going on there was a clear comment about McMenemy dealing with photographers who were trying to get to the dug out. Just wondering what that was all about.

Standby to standby

The Big Match on BT Sport on 20:41 - Mar 29 with 832 viewskingslandstand1

Certainly remember being there but without skme of Dirks details, but Fulham were the Galactico's of the day and a great joy to watch. I think they were unbeaten when they came down (?) but did we not put 4 past them?
Remember the atmosphere though being electric
Login to get fewer ads

The Big Match on BT Sport on 20:52 - Mar 29 with 810 viewsHappy_Jack

The Big Match on BT Sport on 20:41 - Mar 29 by kingslandstand1

Certainly remember being there but without skme of Dirks details, but Fulham were the Galactico's of the day and a great joy to watch. I think they were unbeaten when they came down (?) but did we not put 4 past them?
Remember the atmosphere though being electric

Think Ted MacDougall got a couple that day

Millbrook Furnishing shop floor level banter
Poll: Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been?

The Big Match on BT Sport on 21:24 - Mar 29 with 785 viewsdirk_doone

The Big Match on BT Sport on 20:52 - Mar 29 by Happy_Jack

Think Ted MacDougall got a couple that day

You are right, Jack: his first two goals for Saints. We certainly had some fire power up front that afternoon, with Channon, MacDougall and Osgood.

It was a spectacular game and nobody who was there will ever forget it. There had been a lot of media interest leading up to the game because Fulham, with Bobby Moore, Rodney Marsh and George Best in their team, had made a great start to the season.

We always seemed to score loads of goals when Bobby Moore was playing against us. We beat his West Ham team 6-2 in the 66/67 season, when he played alongside his fellow World Cup winners, Hurst and Peters. That was another memorable game.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2020 21:29]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024