Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Policing by consent 21:02 - Apr 2 with 1026 viewsSaintsforeverj

Just watched question time. Does anybody know why we say police by consent? Surely most people are arrested, do not consent to it? The police force people to move on, get in a police van etc. They might well ask them first, but if the offender says no, they use force, so how can we call it policing by consent?
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 21:04]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Policing by consent on 21:11 - Apr 2 with 999 viewsHappy_Jack

Because otherwise you live in a Police state. What a f ucking stupid question.

Millbrook Furnishing shop floor level banter
Poll: Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been?

Policing by consent on 21:14 - Apr 2 with 994 viewsSaintsforeverj

Policing by consent on 21:11 - Apr 2 by Happy_Jack

Because otherwise you live in a Police state. What a f ucking stupid question.

But it's not by consent is it? The police force people to do things that they don't want to do?

Policing by consent on 21:17 - Apr 2 with 988 viewsHappy_Jack

Policing by consent on 21:14 - Apr 2 by Saintsforeverj

But it's not by consent is it? The police force people to do things that they don't want to do?

Do you agree that the Police are necessary to uphold the law of the land?

Policing by consent on 21:19 - Apr 2 with 982 viewsSaintsforeverj

Policing by consent on 21:17 - Apr 2 by Happy_Jack

Do you agree that the Police are necessary to uphold the law of the land?

Yes. But in order to uphold it, they use force and rightly so. I'm saying why do we say its by consent when it's not. Most people don't consent to being arrested do they.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 21:19]

Policing by consent on 21:20 - Apr 2 with 975 viewsHappy_Jack

Policing by consent on 21:19 - Apr 2 by Saintsforeverj

Yes. But in order to uphold it, they use force and rightly so. I'm saying why do we say its by consent when it's not. Most people don't consent to being arrested do they.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 21:19]

Policing by consent on 21:21 - Apr 2 with 969 viewsSaintsforeverj

Policing by consent on 21:20 - Apr 2 by Happy_Jack

Exactly. It's not by consent.

Policing by consent on 21:38 - Apr 2 with 938 viewspjt50

It's collective consent rather than individual consent. There's roughly one policeman/policewoman for every 500 people. If we all said tomorrow that we're not going to do social distancing, what could they do about it?
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 21:41]

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Policing by consent on 21:45 - Apr 2 with 910 viewsSaintsforeverj

Policing by consent on 21:38 - Apr 2 by pjt50

It's collective consent rather than individual consent. There's roughly one policeman/policewoman for every 500 people. If we all said tomorrow that we're not going to do social distancing, what could they do about it?
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 21:41]

They would use force / water cannon etc I guess. I understand that it is collective consent but the police sent a drone to watch a couple walking their dog. Was collective consent given for that? Thousands still cram onto the London tubes, no collective consent for that either.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 21:47]

Login to get fewer ads

Policing by consent on 21:53 - Apr 2 with 888 viewsBison

Policing by consent on 21:45 - Apr 2 by Saintsforeverj

They would use force / water cannon etc I guess. I understand that it is collective consent but the police sent a drone to watch a couple walking their dog. Was collective consent given for that? Thousands still cram onto the London tubes, no collective consent for that either.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 21:47]

Knock yourself out on this ...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/policing-by-consent/definition-of-pol

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Policing by consent on 22:02 - Apr 2 with 864 viewsSaintsforeverj

Policing by consent on 21:53 - Apr 2 by Bison

Knock yourself out on this ...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/policing-by-consent/definition-of-pol

Yep, thanks for this. It means the "consent of the public", not individual consent.

Apparently, the majority of the public consent to the death penalty.I don't by the way. But imagine if the majority of the public wanted it, would it be implemented?

Policing by consent on 22:18 - Apr 2 with 832 viewsBison

Policing by consent on 22:02 - Apr 2 by Saintsforeverj

Yep, thanks for this. It means the "consent of the public", not individual consent.

Apparently, the majority of the public consent to the death penalty.I don't by the way. But imagine if the majority of the public wanted it, would it be implemented?

I had to check as well after Question Time. As for death penalty ( I'm with you) I would say that's not policing but Punishment as the police have no influence on punishment that's the courts. A government could hold a referendum on that for instance but the police couldn't demand it.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Policing by consent on 22:34 - Apr 2 with 812 viewsSaintsforeverj

Policing by consent on 22:18 - Apr 2 by Bison

I had to check as well after Question Time. As for death penalty ( I'm with you) I would say that's not policing but Punishment as the police have no influence on punishment that's the courts. A government could hold a referendum on that for instance but the police couldn't demand it.

I think the point is, a lot happens without the collective consent of the public, so that's why I'm questioning it. Recent polls suggest that the majority would consent to legalise cannabis. But the police force people to not take it, against the public's concent. There are lots of examples to argue against the definition. So the concept of policing by consent is flawed I think.

Policing by consent on 22:47 - Apr 2 with 789 viewspjt50

Policing by consent on 22:34 - Apr 2 by Saintsforeverj

I think the point is, a lot happens without the collective consent of the public, so that's why I'm questioning it. Recent polls suggest that the majority would consent to legalise cannabis. But the police force people to not take it, against the public's concent. There are lots of examples to argue against the definition. So the concept of policing by consent is flawed I think.

It comes down to the difference between "law" & "enforcement". A majority might think that the law is wrong, but fewer would think that - seeing it is the law - the police are wrong to enforce it.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Policing by consent on 22:50 - Apr 2 with 779 viewsMr_Happy

It's quite simple really, those with a modicum of intelligence will follow the rules, some brain dead fuçkwits won't.

Mr Cheerful Pfft.

Policing by consent on 23:06 - Apr 2 with 757 viewsSaintsforeverj

Policing by consent on 22:47 - Apr 2 by pjt50

It comes down to the difference between "law" & "enforcement". A majority might think that the law is wrong, but fewer would think that - seeing it is the law - the police are wrong to enforce it.

Yes true, but the Police will use force rightly or wrongly in some situations whether they have the consent of the public or not. Fining dog walkers for going out 2 times on their own, but doing nothing when thousands of people pack onto a train (police not upholding / enforcing the social distancing laws?). Sometimes they don't use force when the public say they should too. But OK, we police by consent in the UK, but I think it's flawed. Many of the public might disagree with me
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 23:11]

Policing by consent on 23:10 - Apr 2 with 747 viewsSaintsforeverj

Policing by consent on 22:50 - Apr 2 by Mr_Happy

It's quite simple really, those with a modicum of intelligence will follow the rules, some brain dead fuçkwits won't.

Is a terminally ill cancer sufferer a f@ckwit for illegally taking cannabis to ease their pain?
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 23:13]

Policing by consent on 23:15 - Apr 2 with 728 viewsOccasional_Showers

Policing by consent on 23:10 - Apr 2 by Saintsforeverj

Is a terminally ill cancer sufferer a f@ckwit for illegally taking cannabis to ease their pain?
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 23:13]

Yes, because they would be better off on morphine.

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

Policing by consent on 23:18 - Apr 2 with 722 viewsSaintsforeverj

Policing by consent on 23:15 - Apr 2 by Occasional_Showers

Yes, because they would be better off on morphine.

Depends if you want to feel relaxed or be energised.

Policing by consent on 23:29 - Apr 2 with 713 viewsOccasional_Showers

Policing by consent on 23:18 - Apr 2 by Saintsforeverj

Depends if you want to feel relaxed or be energised.

Are you a doctor?

Which one energizes as you put it?

Are you suggesting giving them a bucket of super skunk?
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 23:33]

Policing by consent on 23:36 - Apr 2 with 694 viewsSaintsforeverj

Policing by consent on 23:29 - Apr 2 by Occasional_Showers

Are you a doctor?

Which one energizes as you put it?

Are you suggesting giving them a bucket of super skunk?
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 23:33]

I'm suggesting that the public wouldn't care if an ill patient in pain wanted cannabis for medical reasons. It should be legal to prescribe in my opinion as morphine is a lot more lethal or can be.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 23:38]

Policing by consent on 23:39 - Apr 2 with 683 viewsOccasional_Showers

Policing by consent on 23:36 - Apr 2 by Saintsforeverj

I'm suggesting that the public wouldn't care if an ill patient in pain wanted cannabis for medical reasons. It should be legal to prescribe in my opinion as morphine is a lot more lethal or can be.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2020 23:38]

If you are a terminally ill cancer patient the side effects of long term morphine use aren’t an issue.

Policing by consent on 23:46 - Apr 2 with 669 viewsSaintsforeverj

Policing by consent on 23:39 - Apr 2 by Occasional_Showers

If you are a terminally ill cancer patient the side effects of long term morphine use aren’t an issue.

That's true but then there are those just in pain who are not terminal. In that case cannabis is the better option.

Policing by consent on 23:50 - Apr 2 with 660 viewsOccasional_Showers

Policing by consent on 23:46 - Apr 2 by Saintsforeverj

That's true but then there are those just in pain who are not terminal. In that case cannabis is the better option.

What about the mental health issues of long term cannabis use?

Policing by consent on 00:05 - Apr 3 with 639 viewsSaintsforeverj

Policing by consent on 23:50 - Apr 2 by Occasional_Showers

What about the mental health issues of long term cannabis use?

It's interesting because the evidence suggests that long term alcohol use is equal to or worse than cannabis use on mental health. One is illegal, the other is not.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2020 0:07]

Policing by consent on 00:12 - Apr 3 with 621 viewsOccasional_Showers

Policing by consent on 00:05 - Apr 3 by Saintsforeverj

It's interesting because the evidence suggests that long term alcohol use is equal to or worse than cannabis use on mental health. One is illegal, the other is not.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2020 0:07]

It would depend on the strengths, quantities, and frequency.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024