Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 08:00 - Apr 3 with 877 viewsSaintsNews

On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 3rd Apr 2020 08:00
On Monday 8th March 1976 at lunchtime everyone in Southampton was sat around a transistor radio waiting to find out were they would be on April 3rd, for those lucky to get a ticket it would be Stamford Bridge. 4

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 on 08:31 - Apr 3 with 860 views1teeminants

Great memories . As a 15 year old kid I was old enough to really take this all in. My brother and I got the coach up. Saints fans packed the Shed end and what a noise !! so many scarfs and banners , nearly everyone wore scarfs in those days either round their neck or round their wrist. Also unlike today where just Liverpool and Celtic raise their scarfs for You’ll never walk alone, in those days all fans sang that anthem and raised their scarves it wasn’t renowned for being just a Liverpool anthem. The shed was a sea of red and white. My other stand out memories are Malcolm Alison’s Fedora and cigar ,Paul Gilchrist's goal drilled into the net and David Peach calmly slotting in the pen, I just knew he would score, cool as a cucumber was old Peachey. We did it ,unbelievable scenes ,memories I will take to my grave .

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 on 09:16 - Apr 3 with 837 viewsSalisburySaint

I was 17, Went up on football special Wilts & Dorsets coach from Amesbury with my Dad , had seats on benches in lower section of West Stand, the Shed End looked and sounded absolutely amazing from there
On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 on 09:45 - Apr 3 with 820 viewsSaintNick

On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 on 09:16 - Apr 3 by SalisburySaint

I was 17, Went up on football special Wilts & Dorsets coach from Amesbury with my Dad , had seats on benches in lower section of West Stand, the Shed End looked and sounded absolutely amazing from there

Two good accounts of the day, look out for part two in an hour or so

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 on 09:47 - Apr 3 with 819 viewsthis_charming_man

On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 on 08:31 - Apr 3 by 1teeminants

Great memories . As a 15 year old kid I was old enough to really take this all in. My brother and I got the coach up. Saints fans packed the Shed end and what a noise !! so many scarfs and banners , nearly everyone wore scarfs in those days either round their neck or round their wrist. Also unlike today where just Liverpool and Celtic raise their scarfs for You’ll never walk alone, in those days all fans sang that anthem and raised their scarves it wasn’t renowned for being just a Liverpool anthem. The shed was a sea of red and white. My other stand out memories are Malcolm Alison’s Fedora and cigar ,Paul Gilchrist's goal drilled into the net and David Peach calmly slotting in the pen, I just knew he would score, cool as a cucumber was old Peachey. We did it ,unbelievable scenes ,memories I will take to my grave .

Compare these stories to the apathy around the 2018 semi final. Yes we were a rubbish team and big outsiders but that was only the 4th FA Cup semi final of my lifetime, i couldn't believe fans were so ambivalent towards it.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 on 10:01 - Apr 3 with 808 viewsSaintNick

On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 on 09:47 - Apr 3 by this_charming_man

Compare these stories to the apathy around the 2018 semi final. Yes we were a rubbish team and big outsiders but that was only the 4th FA Cup semi final of my lifetime, i couldn't believe fans were so ambivalent towards it.

I was surprised about the semi two years ago being so poorly attended, the only thing I can attribute it to is social media, so many people had spent 4 years in melt down slagging off the club every summer if they sold players and finding every excuse to criticise, that they had forgot how to enjoy it when we actually had some success.

I read posts on facebook where people seemed to be proud of the fact they were boycotting the semi final, I think it is hard to come back from this so many have backed themselves into corners about how badly the club is run and the owner is corrupt they cannot bare to be proved wrong.

Look at the League cup semi away to Liverpool a year earlier we struggled to sell tickets for that and to be frank, although that season wasn't great in the second half up to January it wasn't too bad given the circumstances.

Back in 1976, the preceeding years hadn't been great, we had been relegated two years earlier, then a miserable season back in the 2nd division and 75/76 although we were in the promotion hunt we were mostly on the fringes never actually in the top 3 after September.

Lawrie McMenemy started this season absolutely hated and got more abuse than Branfoot in 74/75 walking along to the bench at the Dell.

Yet people hadn't let the hatred eat them up as some seem to do now, it wasn't an obsession as it is to some, therefore when success arrived they could easily jump back on the bandwagon

On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 on 13:43 - Apr 3 with 751 viewsthis_charming_man

On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 on 10:01 - Apr 3 by SaintNick

I was surprised about the semi two years ago being so poorly attended, the only thing I can attribute it to is social media, so many people had spent 4 years in melt down slagging off the club every summer if they sold players and finding every excuse to criticise, that they had forgot how to enjoy it when we actually had some success.

I read posts on facebook where people seemed to be proud of the fact they were boycotting the semi final, I think it is hard to come back from this so many have backed themselves into corners about how badly the club is run and the owner is corrupt they cannot bare to be proved wrong.

Look at the League cup semi away to Liverpool a year earlier we struggled to sell tickets for that and to be frank, although that season wasn't great in the second half up to January it wasn't too bad given the circumstances.

Back in 1976, the preceeding years hadn't been great, we had been relegated two years earlier, then a miserable season back in the 2nd division and 75/76 although we were in the promotion hunt we were mostly on the fringes never actually in the top 3 after September.

Lawrie McMenemy started this season absolutely hated and got more abuse than Branfoot in 74/75 walking along to the bench at the Dell.

Yet people hadn't let the hatred eat them up as some seem to do now, it wasn't an obsession as it is to some, therefore when success arrived they could easily jump back on the bandwagon

the run up the league cup semi final was ridiculous too, fans saying they werent going to go because we had no chance of winning, IMO these are exactly the games you should go to, nothing to lose at all. Most people would say that was one of the best nights ever as a saints fan. It didnt stop them all coming out the woodwork for the final though, which is why i was so p1ssed off that the ticketing allocation only included home games when the vast majority couldn't be arsed to go to the second leg.

I actually enjoyed Puels season, he did a good job in the circumstances and at times we played some great stuff, it was only when he lost Van Dijk and Fonte that things went a bit downhill, i obviously dont go anywhere near as much as i used to but that season probably did about 6 or 7 games and enjoyed every one of them for different reasons. A bit like the owners some fans just didn't like him from the start, mainly due to him not being a lively character, many were quick to leap on every chance to have a pop at him.

On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 on 14:06 - Apr 3 with 740 views1teeminants

On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 on 09:47 - Apr 3 by this_charming_man

When I was a kid The FA cup was a magical event . The final itself the build up started about 10 am with broadcasts from players hotels ,interviews with players /managers and fans that had already arrived at Wembley. there was the road to Wembley with the story of how each team got there . There was Its a knockout played by fans of both teams , there was a camera on both teams coaches as they made the journey from their hotels to the stadium . I know I was only a kid but you really thought you were part of something really special. I had watched The cup finals in the early 70’s Leeds v Chelsea and Arsenal’s Charlie George scoring in the final v Liverpool in 71 and I felt jealous of all the fans watching this special event .

The Fa cup these days to big clubs just doesn’t mean much . The Chelsea fans didn’t look bothered either it wasn’t t just saints although I couldn’t believe the attitude of some of our fans ,there were empty seats in the Chelsea end too. In 2003 The Arsenal fans did t make much noise in Cardiff it was just another day out for them. All very sad how things have changed in my opinion.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 on 17:01 - Apr 3 with 706 viewsBuenosSaint

Wasn't ticket price a big issue TCM?
I thought that was the main reason for stay aways

Poll: The Long Future

Login to get fewer ads

On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 on 17:03 - Apr 3 with 705 viewsthis_charming_man

On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 on 17:01 - Apr 3 by BuenosSaint

i think that was one of the excuses, yes.

On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 on 17:06 - Apr 3 with 702 viewsSalisburySaint

Linked to this thread

1976 Cup final highlights on BT SPORTS 3 at 5.30pm tonight
On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 on 10:09 - Apr 4 with 643 viewsSaintNick

On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 on 17:01 - Apr 3 by BuenosSaint

The main bulk of unsold tickets were in the £30 maybe £35 price category, so it wasn't price, it was cheaper than most games at St Mary's

On This Day In History - FA Cup Semi Final 1976 Part 1 on 21:06 - Apr 4 with 609 viewsMeonsaint

A fantastic day out. I was lucky enough to stand up at The Shed End with the rest of the hardcore Saints and boy what a noise we made. Can anyone remember a few Chelsea nutters trying to cause a scene half way through the second half? Maybe 10 tried to cause havoc amongst us but were sent packing by some hard looking Dockers.
I was 13 at the time but will always remember the tremendous atmosphere on that day.
They could not live with Channon in his pomp. He terrorised Palace with his pace.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024