Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hypothetically speaking 11:08 - Apr 9 with 5343 viewsButty101

If you sold 50k of tickets but no one turned up for the match, Does that mean you still have an attendance of 50k?

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Hypothetically speaking on 11:14 - Apr 9 with 2597 viewsthis_charming_man

I think the club still count tickets sold as an attendance even if the ticket holder doesn't turn up. This means our match against Watford was at least 2 people more than were there as i bought 2 tickets but a few days before the game got offered a couple in corporate so used those instead.

I know certain people keep going on about the police figures but they are a load of b*llocks, i've been at games when the police figure has been something like 26k, which would mean basically the whole northam or chapel would be empty, when there hasn't been a spare seat in the ground, no idea how they reach these figures.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Hypothetically speaking on 11:27 - Apr 9 with 2590 viewsIngskneeslide

Wouldn’t that be classed as an example of the ‘cheating figures’ that Santa Maria is always talking about in reference to us? Not sure an FOI request would be necessary to expose the 50k as a cheating figure, unless that logic doesn’t apply to Pompey attendances of course
Hypothetically speaking on 11:31 - Apr 9 with 2586 viewssolent_toffee

Wasn’t fiddling the gate a big part of clubs in the past when it standing. I was watching an Everton game on YouTube the other day and it was packed and yet the gate was given as 26k. Think it was widespread at the time.
Hypothetically speaking on 14:37 - Apr 9 with 2523 viewsNumber_58

Hypothetically speaking on 11:31 - Apr 9 by solent_toffee

Wasn’t fiddling the gate a big part of clubs in the past when it standing. I was watching an Everton game on YouTube the other day and it was packed and yet the gate was given as 26k. Think it was widespread at the time.

Mick Channon said once that in his early days players would get a bonus if the attendance was over a certain amount. Some Saturdays the players would peer out of the windows of the changing rooms at The Dell, see a bigger than usual crowd building up in the car park and get excited about the prospect of some extra money in their pay packet. Then they'd check the Sunday papers the next morning and see that the 'official' attendance just happened to be a few under the bonus figure.
Hypothetically speaking on 16:11 - Apr 9 with 2453 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Oh dear, another random football fan from another club agreeing with me, there must be something to this story.

And it was going on for decades, and Pompey, as so many Soton fans keep telling me was one of the most corrupt clubs.

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Hypothetically speaking on 16:13 - Apr 9 with 2450 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hypothetically speaking on 14:37 - Apr 9 by Number_58

Mick Channon said once that in his early days players would get a bonus if the attendance was over a certain amount. Some Saturdays the players would peer out of the windows of the changing rooms at The Dell, see a bigger than usual crowd building up in the car park and get excited about the prospect of some extra money in their pay packet. Then they'd check the Sunday papers the next morning and see that the 'official' attendance just happened to be a few under the bonus figure.

An honest Southampton fan talking about attendances, well shiver my timbers.

Hypothetically speaking on 16:20 - Apr 9 with 2457 viewsNumber_58

Hypothetically speaking on 16:13 - Apr 9 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

An honest Southampton fan talking about attendances, well shiver my timbers.

Talking of timbers, I hear they're replacing the roof on your North Stand. What will they be replacing it with? Something in keeping with the rest of the old ground - thatch, maybe?
Hypothetically speaking on 16:22 - Apr 9 with 2443 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hypothetically speaking on 16:20 - Apr 9 by Number_58

Talking of timbers, I hear they're replacing the roof on your North Stand. What will they be replacing it with? Something in keeping with the rest of the old ground - thatch, maybe?

You fans love our ground, I know you do, so many of them have told me it oozes character.

Login to get fewer ads

Hypothetically speaking on 16:29 - Apr 9 with 2448 viewsNumber_58

Hypothetically speaking on 16:22 - Apr 9 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

You fans love our ground, I know you do, so many of them have told me it oozes character.

In my experience, the only thing that oozes in that dump is the u-bend in the visitors' bogs.
Hypothetically speaking on 16:35 - Apr 9 with 2430 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hypothetically speaking on 16:29 - Apr 9 by Number_58

In my experience, the only thing that oozes in that dump is the u-bend in the visitors' bogs.

You lot would have loved it if The Dell could have been expanded, you could have had some real history.

Hypothetically speaking on 16:53 - Apr 9 with 2426 viewskingslandstand1

Aren't Arsenal renowned for doing that (according to Spurs fans)?
Hypothetically speaking on 17:17 - Apr 9 with 2403 viewsNumber_58

Hypothetically speaking on 16:35 - Apr 9 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

You lot would have loved it if The Dell could have been expanded, you could have had some real history.

But it couldn't. What's your excuse for still playing in your sh*thole? Are you lot so proud of your history that you're hell bent on keeping the ground exactly the same as it was when you won the league? Is that the reason? A working museum. How quaint.
Hypothetically speaking on 17:23 - Apr 9 with 2388 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hypothetically speaking on 17:17 - Apr 9 by Number_58

But it couldn't. What's your excuse for still playing in your sh*thole? Are you lot so proud of your history that you're hell bent on keeping the ground exactly the same as it was when you won the league? Is that the reason? A working museum. How quaint.

Our excuse if that the club tried about 6 times to move, and things out of the clubs control stopped it.

What is your excuse for not buying up more houses near the Dell? Matt Le Tiss' pork pie bill?

Hypothetically speaking on 17:31 - Apr 9 with 2390 viewsbattler

Hypothetically speaking on 17:23 - Apr 9 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Our excuse if that the club tried about 6 times to move, and things out of the clubs control stopped it.

What is your excuse for not buying up more houses near the Dell? Matt Le Tiss' pork pie bill?

Of course it was always someone else fault you've never moved from your hovel.

Then you follow it up with such a schoolboy insult, what a p!ss poor effort.....
Hypothetically speaking on 17:37 - Apr 9 with 2378 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hypothetically speaking on 17:31 - Apr 9 by battler

Of course it was always someone else fault you've never moved from your hovel.

Then you follow it up with such a schoolboy insult, what a p!ss poor effort.....

Your club could have bought up the houses around the Dell, the idea that it couldn't be expanded is ridiculous, hence my ridiculous comment.

There are no real reasons for not expanding the Dell, and staying in a nicer part of town.

Hypothetically speaking on 18:40 - Apr 9 with 2357 viewsPatfromPoole

Hypothetically speaking on 17:37 - Apr 9 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Your club could have bought up the houses around the Dell, the idea that it couldn't be expanded is ridiculous, hence my ridiculous comment.

There are no real reasons for not expanding the Dell, and staying in a nicer part of town.

And how would you have expanded the Archers Road end, oh great architectural guru?

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Hypothetically speaking on 19:20 - Apr 9 with 2335 viewsdjsaint

Moving has allowed us to smash you out of the park in the attendance figures!

Good enough for me
Hypothetically speaking on 19:39 - Apr 9 with 2315 viewsTripleNiemi

Hypothetically speaking on 16:35 - Apr 9 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Pains me to say this, but i totally agree. I fcuking hate St. Marys and some of the mongs that now trot along with their 'can i have your shirt Prowsey' placards.

That said, hindsight is a wonderful thing as i was quite excited at the prospect of moving to a ground with some modern bogs.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2020 19:41]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Hypothetically speaking on 19:45 - Apr 9 with 2303 viewsTripleNiemi

Hypothetically speaking on 18:40 - Apr 9 by PatfromPoole

And how would you have expanded the Archers Road end, oh great architectural guru?

Pat, i would have expanded all other areas and left the Archers as was (I was alright Jack as i had a ST in the bikeshed)

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Hypothetically speaking on 20:12 - Apr 9 with 2289 viewshedgeend61

Hypothetically speaking on 17:23 - Apr 9 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Look at this little beauty

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/apr/25/newsstory.sport2

600 million things out of the clubs control, still if you didn't pay Sol 5m a year(or still paying) you could have put a few bricks down,
Why 36k capacity?, only 2 seasons when you won the League (no one alive would remember) have you achieved that, in a 51,000 capacity. Dream on.

Date on the paper should have been April 1st
Hypothetically speaking on 20:58 - Apr 9 with 2258 viewspjt50

Hypothetically speaking on 19:45 - Apr 9 by TripleNiemi

Pat, i would have expanded all other areas and left the Archers as was (I was alright Jack as i had a ST in the bikeshed)

Didn't they talk once about rotating the pitch 90 degrees & using the car park to expand? Can't remember what happened to the idea.

Mind you, I don't know where the players would have parked their very expensive cars.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Hypothetically speaking on 21:02 - Apr 9 with 2241 viewsPatfromPoole

Hypothetically speaking on 19:45 - Apr 9 by TripleNiemi

Very good idea.

That would have been immense. Three huge stands and then the Archers. A bit like Lansdowne Road in Dublin....

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Hypothetically speaking on 21:13 - Apr 9 with 2211 viewsNumber_58

What, compulsory purchase a whole road full of houses, a church, a petrol station, a busy main road, a block of flats and another road? I'd stick to juvenile attendance threads if I were you.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2020 7:10]
Hypothetically speaking on 12:58 - Apr 10 with 2104 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Hypothetically speaking on 18:40 - Apr 9 by PatfromPoole

Your club could have had a long term plan and bought properties around the stadium. It would have taken a while : just like at Liverpool, but you could of then switched the stadium 90 deg around or slightly rotated to be in line with the roads.

It would have taken time, and planning and effort, but your club took the easy option and went for the flat-pack. Terrible decision in reality.

Hypothetically speaking on 13:09 - Apr 10 with 2097 viewscocklebreath

I like Mary’s and I like the fact that although friends provident tried to sponsor it we never let it catch on, no doubt if Tesco’s gave Pompey a few quid it would quickly become the Tesco metro arena

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024